PDA

View Full Version : Korea heating up

James48843
05-28-2009, 05:23 AM
Just when we DON'T need another stretch of our military forces- comes this news today....

U.S., South Korea raise military alert on North

SEOUL (Reuters) – South Korea and the United States raised the military alert level for the peninsula on Thursday after the communist North warned the truce ending the Korean War was dead and it was ready to attack.

North Korea ramped up tensions this week with a series of provocations rarely seen since the 1950-53 Korean War, including war threats, missile launches and a nuclear test that puts it closer to having an atomic bomb.
The joint command for the 28,500 U.S. troops that support South Korea's 670,000 soldiers has raised its alert a notch to signify a serious threat from North Korea, the South's Joint Chiefs of Staff said.

It is the highest threat level since the North's only other nuclear test in October 2006.

North Korea looks certain to face fresh sanctions for defying a U.N. resolution by exploding a nuclear device for a second time, Western diplomat said, with a vote in the 15-nation Security Council expected next week.

More- http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090528/ts_nm/us_korea_north;_ylt=AgUj1U2Rgbp1dDmhJIboYj2s0NUE;_ ylu=X3oDMTJmaG5kM2NjBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMDkwNTI4L3VzX2 tvcmVhX25vcnRoBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMgRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0 b3J5BHNsawN1c3NvdXRoa29yZWE-

JTH
05-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Yes, the NCs are playing the spoiled brat again. I have a great idea, let's give them more money so we can prop up their failed regime and let their people continue to suffer :cool:

Seriously though, we can't go chasing after every country that wants to play with nukes, this is getting really old. Let them be China's problem...

Buster
05-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Ah heck..don't fret over this..It is China's and Japan's problem and even Russia's..but if we hold out long enough, maybe before the end of the year..the Little smurf dicktater Il will die..he doesn't look like he has many days left..:nuts:

Silverbird
05-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Well...problem is N.Korea has nuclear material, and we don't want them to hold a garage sale. So looks like it's *interdiction* time.

Birchtree
05-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Under new leadership perhaps they would follow Libya and become civilized.

DCguy
05-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Ah heck..don't fret over this..It is China's and Japan's problem and even Russia's..but if we hold out long enough, maybe before the end of the year..the Little smurf dicktater Il will die..he doesn't look like he has many days left..:nuts:

when you know the death is coming, you got nothing to lose and fear... well... he probably wont start the war.. he loves his ppl... (sarcasm) :worried:

Frixxxx
05-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I've spent the last four years training to destroy N. Korea in an event like the one that is perpetuating itself right now......

Look peeps, KJI is not a stable leader.

However, I think he is trying to go out with one last HOORAH!!!!!

If this passes (like I think it will) then we will get the new leader and start all over with the wonderful political tap dance that occurs with this country. I pray we get one who wants to re-unify!!!!

If this does not pass, then I see the world forcing the Re-Unification effort.

Silverbird
05-28-2009, 01:38 PM
If you think the German Reunification was messy, Korea will make that look like a nice little stroll. The entire North Korean population, with a very few exceptions, have been taught that everything good was invented in North Korea (often by the Dear Leader personally:notrust:), the U.S. causes their electricity to flicker on and off, and they are the most enlightened and tech-savy people in the world. News from the outside is nearly impossible to get - possesion of a cell phone is illeagal.

South Korea doesn't want re-unification. North Korea thinks Korea should re-unite under it.

An entire population of ignorant Brave New World'ers scare me more than the nastiest genius. Add to that the fact that the Military is the elite, and you've got a real volitile mess.

Viva_La_Migra
05-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Under new leadership perhaps they would follow Libya and become civilized.
Libya only became civilized after President Reagan bombed Qaddafi's home, killing his daughter.

I don't think BHO will authorize similar action.

Buster
05-28-2009, 04:54 PM
to be exact..:D

It was claimed that the air strike killed at least 40 people in Libya. Forewarned by a telephone call from Malta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta)'s Prime Minister, Karmenu Mifsud Bonnici (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karmenu_Mifsud_Bonnici), that unauthorized aircraft were flying over Maltese airspace heading south towards Tripoli, Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_Gaddafi) and his family rushed out of their residence in the Bab al Aziziya compound moments before the bombs dropped. Gaddafi escaped injury but his 15-month-old adopted daughter Hanna was killed, and two of his sons were injured.

alevin
05-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Libya only became civilized after President Reagan bombed Qaddafi's home.

One of the few military actions I unqualifiedly supported, it finally got Q. to behave himself, as sad as it was about the little girl-that was on him. My brother's ship came back home from the Med a week before Q shelled our ships. It coulda been my brother. I'm everlastingly grateful it wasn't. He spent 23 years in service, ship always in port away from the action whenever action happened-totally a fluke.

Buster
05-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Strange enough..

My old squadron was VA-176, A6E Intruders on the USS America...They were in on the Bombing of Libya.

No, I left the Navy in 1975.

James48843
05-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Breaking news tonight.....

Army chief: US able to fight N Korea if necessary

By ANNE GEARAN, Associated Press Writer Anne Gearan, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON – The United States could fight an old-fashioned war against North Korea if necessary, even while newer forms of conflict against terrorists and extremists continue, the Army's top officer said Thursday.

Asked whether the United States would be prepared to fight if war broke out between South Korea and North Korea, Gen. George Casey replied, "The short answer is yes," then added that "it would probably take us a little bit longer to shift gears" away from the type of counterinsurgency fighting that now occupies the Army.

Casey said his usual rubric for how long it would take the Army to gear up for a new "conventional" war is about 90 days. That doesn't mean it would take 90 days for the U.S. to effectively fight the North's million-man army, he said.

"We'd move forces as rapidly as we could get them prepared," Casey said during an appearance at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

North Korea has threatened war following condemnation of its underground nuclear test this week, and the United States has a long-term commitment to South Korea's defense.

"This is a combat-seasoned force" that can pivot quickly, Casey said.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates, speaking to reporters as he traveled to the Far East for a conference with defense ministers, said North Korea's actions have not reached a crisis level that would warrant additional U.S. troops in the region.

"What we do have, though, are two new developments that are very provocative, that are aggressive, accompanied by very aggressive rhetoric," Gates said. "And I think it brings home the reality of the challenge that North Korea poses to the region and to the international community."

Casey, the Army's chief of staff, suggested that war with the nuclear-armed North might not be the old-style land war that U.S. forces stationed in South Korea were envisioned to fight. He did not elaborate, but he was presumably referring to the possibility that the North might use or threaten to use its proven nuclear capability.

Casey focused on his plans to rearrange the Army around the "reality scenario" of sustained counterterrorism conflict. The reality of permanent war means the United States should have 10 Army brigades and Marine Corps regiments available for overseas conflict worldwide, he said.

"It's not just Iraq and Afghanistan," Casey said. Including Iraq in his contingency planning is not to say that the United States won't honor its agreement with Iraq to pull forces from the country by 2012, he said.
"We will execute the draw down plan that has been executed between our governments," he said.

"I don't know that anyone knows what the security relationship and force level will be, if there are any, in Iraq," after the scheduled withdrawal of combat forces," he added. "That's very much to be determined."

James48843
05-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Dang. Just when I was about to toss out my old boots and canteen, and this comes up. Still got my cold-weather gear for those frosty Korean nights in December....

If this clicks- they are going to need old geezers like me. I'm still fresh enough -retirement, but still current-- that I expect I would end up getting sucked up if N K kicks off and crosses the line.

got to brush up on my Korean.....

Dang.

alevin
05-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Buster, I was on the docks with my family when the first carrier group came home from Gulf 1, (don't recall which carrier it was tho, long time ago now). Coincidental, I was there to see my in-service sister get married that day, but the wedding didn't happen and we saw the group come into port instead. It was an awesome proud experience shared with a lot of other people. For James' and Frixxx' and any other MB members who could get roped into another Korea, I truly hope it doesn't come to that and at the same time, if it does, I know how critical that situation is, being a West Coaster, and am grateful we have the resources including people, to respond appropriately. We don't have the same kind of China relations we did back when my dad served, so I hope China will step on Il and help back him down.

Frixxxx
05-29-2009, 08:35 AM
If this clicks- they are going to need old geezers like me. I'm still fresh enough -retirement, but still current-- that I expect I would end up getting sucked up if N K kicks off and crosses the line.
got to brush up on my Korean.....
Dang. No worries James, You just sit tight and let me and the new recruits take care of business. :cool:

....For James' and Frixxx' and any other MB members who could get roped into another Korea, I truly hope it doesn't come to that and at the same time, if it does, I know how critical that situation is, being a West Coaster, and am grateful we have the resources including people, to respond appropriately. We don't have the same kind of China relations we did back when my dad served, so I hope China will step on Il and help back him down. Thanks Alevin, I really don't think this will really come about and I'm going to do everything to keep James retired:D.

They have VERY LIMITED resources to support and sustain a war.:notrust:

Last time I checked, NO defections were made to NORTH in the last 25 years.

South Korea has nicely trained forces and with the Support of the U.S. the battle wouldn't last more than 100 days. And that my friends is just a "liberal estimate".

Pray to the Almighty, it never comes to it!

turbo23dog
05-29-2009, 08:42 AM
I think it would be a dirty, nasty fight, but I agree with frixxx that I don't think its going to get to that. The NKs want some attention, and they have a strange way of asking for it.

DCguy
05-29-2009, 08:55 AM
No worries James, You just sit tight and let me and the new recruits take care of business. :cool:
Thanks Alevin, I really don't think this will really come about and I'm going to do everything to keep James retired:D.

They have VERY LIMITED resources to support and sustain a war.:notrust:

Last time I checked, NO defections were made to NORTH in the last 25 years.

South Korea has nicely trained forces and with the Support of the U.S. the battle wouldn't last more than 100 days. And that my friends is just a "liberal estimate".

Pray to the Almighty, it never comes to it!

I hear the war wouldnt last a week w/o any help from China and Russia, but South Korea, Japan, HK, China, Russia, and even Washington DC are in their nuke range

alevin
05-29-2009, 09:05 AM
I agree with frixxx that I don't think its going to get to that. The NKs want some attention, and they have a strange way of asking for it.

Y'know, that's what I thought the last time Il started sabre rattling-wants to cut a deal for additional econ support. :nuts: I just wonder if he thinks nobody has energy to pay attention right now so he has to go over the top act out to get what he wants. It might backfire.

Frixxxx
05-29-2009, 09:09 AM
I hear the war wouldnt last a week w/o any help from China and Russia, but South Korea, Japan, HK, China, Russia, and even Washington DC are in their nuke range
I wish I could say that, but the terrain of NK is pretty much mountainous and treacherous north of the DMZ.

I used a ""liberal estimate" though:D

Silverbird
05-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Not DC even if they get a delivery system from someone else; it's a lloooonng shot over the USA - they are better off trying for California. As it is, they'd have to have it fly over the Pacific Ocean, which is beyond their range. At best, if their Taepong system actually works, the very edge of Alaska is the only target (Hawaii is too far south).

Plus they have a problem reducing their plutonium to the size carried by a warhead.

kodaq2001
05-29-2009, 10:33 AM
North Korea lost their mind! Are they asking to be destroyed? ... anyways, i haven't been following the tsp for very long so i'm not sure about all the trends. Do world events have an affect on the stock market?

Frixxxx
05-29-2009, 12:43 PM
North Korea lost their mind! Are they asking to be destroyed? ... anyways, i haven't been following the tsp for very long so i'm not sure about all the trends. Do world events have an affect on the stock market?
Most Definitely!:cool:

JTH
05-29-2009, 12:54 PM

If NC ever crossed the boarder, than YES that would be a market changing event, but it would be hard for us to capitalize on a move like this, given TSP's limitations.

But anyone who has been to Korea knows this is just the usual 50 years of saber rattling.

Frixxxx
05-29-2009, 01:28 PM
If NC ever crossed the boarder, than YES that would be a market changing event, but it would be hard for us to capitalize on a move like this, given TSP's limitations.

But anyone who has been to Korea knows this is just the usual 50 years of saber rattling.
More like end of regime, saber rattling. Right before his father Kim-Il Sung passed (1994), there was a lot of saber rattling then. I was stationed there 1990-1991.

The father was going to send everyone south so he could die with honor. But then, that never happened.

Anyway, no worries here.....:D

JTH
05-29-2009, 02:42 PM
More like end of regime, saber rattling. Right before his father Kim-Il Sung passed (1994), there was a lot of saber rattling then. I was stationed there 1990-1991.

The father was going to send everyone south so he could die with honor. But then, that never happened.

Anyway, no worries here.....:D

Dude, you're old!!! I can't remember that far back :cheesy: Seriously though I ain't never been and have no plans to go now that I no longer work on F-16s. God bless those who have to go, that can be a tough 1-year gig for the family man.

PessOptimist
05-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Dude, you're old!!! I can't remember that far back :cheesy: Seriously though I ain't never been and have no plans to go now that I no longer work on F-16s. God bless those who have to go, that can be a tough 1-year gig for the family man.

Hey, hey, watch the age discrimination:)

I was TDY there (Pusan) four times in 88/89. It can be a culturally rewarding and eye opening experience for the single man:D

It was also a very sobering and sometimes scary place once you venture on to ROK bases. The ROK soldiers weren't used to seeing USAF people and we got challenged several times. A lot of it had to do with us wearing green fatigues while the in country US forces had transitioned to BDUs. I fixed that at my own expense during the second TDY. (guess we looked like tall KATUSAs)

I wasn't used to someone pointing a .50 at me while screaming for his NCO. Made me think about the true nature of my job. (I'm a cold warrior, 72-96)

Yes, God bless all who are there or may have to go there.

Frixxxx
05-29-2009, 05:34 PM
VVVVVVV Um...see the guy down here VVVVVV He's twice as old as me:laugh:

Hey, hey, watch the age discrimination:)

............ (I'm a cold warrior, 72-96)

James48843
05-30-2009, 04:38 AM

"We will be greated as liberators..."?

Except now they have nukes.

Could get interesting.

If in fact it's an "End-of-Dear Leader's" reaction, this could get very, very ugly--, very, very quick.

We used to have a lot more ground troops there. We've drawn down to just 25,000 for speed bumps now. That's not enough to stop them- that's only enough to ensure that when they run over us, we'll react full force in response.

Yes- this could get ugly.

alevin
05-30-2009, 11:06 AM
My vet neighbor served in Vielflicken (spelling?) Germany after leaving Nam. VF was a mile from the Russian border. He said the expectation was the base would survive for all of 3 minutes if the Russians decided to come on over. He said one day the Russian tanks lined up on the ridgeline above the base-1 for every man on the base. Eerie. If troop movements start in NK, may it never go beyond that level.

Frixxxx
05-30-2009, 11:15 AM
My vet neighbor served in Vielflicken (spelling?) Germany after leaving Nam. VF was a mile from the Russian border. He said the expectation was the base would survive for all of 3 minutes if the Russians decided to come on over. He said one day the Russian tanks lined up on the ridgeline above the base-1 for every man on the base. Eerie. If troop movements start in NK, may it never go beyond that level.

Believe me, If they start moving troops toward the border....we will know!!!

Anyway, what surprised me was the number of troops around 25,000...When I was there it was around 60K..

I'd hate to see what kind of response we could give if 200K descended from the North.....:blink:

James48843
05-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Believe me, If they start moving troops toward the border....we will know!!!

Anyway, what surprised me was the number of troops around 25,000...When I was there it was around 60K..

I'd hate to see what kind of response we could give if 200K descended from the North.....:blink:

U.S. Forces: 25,000
South Korean Forces: About 600,000

N Korean forces: About 1,000,000

North Korean Order of Battle:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/dprk/army.htm

NOTE: Changes between 1992 and 1999 reflect both actual changes in the composition of KPA forces, as well as improved intelligence estimates of these forces.

Number Strength 996,000

Organization
Corps
20 Conventional
12 Mechanized
4 Armor
2 Artillery
2 Geographic

Divisions / Brigades
153 Infantry divisions
60 Brigades

Mechanized and mobile brigades 25
Armor brigades 13
Artillery brigades 30
Special operations forces brigades 25
Special operations forces battalions 7

Equipment
Total medium and light tanks 3,800
T-54/55/59 +2,200
T-62 +600
T-34 n.a.
APCs 2,270
Other light tanks (PT-76/China's T-62/63 and North Korea's M-1985) n.a.

Artillery 11,200
Self-propelled +5,500
Towed +3,000
Multiple rocket launchers 2,400
Mortars
60-160mm +9,000

Silverbird
05-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Kim Il-Sung already had groomed his son for succession, it was without question that Kim Jong-Il would be next unless the military was able to pull off something crazy.

Kim Jong-Il's eldest son is pretty much an embarassment that the regime doesn't talk about, infamous for getting caught at Japan's Narita airport with a fake passport to go on a trip to Tokyo Disneyland, and supposedly this wasn't the first visit - and he's overweight, and rumored to go overseas not just for amusement parks. He was on the news implying he's not the one, and it's up to his dad anyway.

His youngest son is 20. He's an adult, but he's not old enough to drink, as they say. There also is a middle son, and some say he's the one, but others say he's chronically ill. Neither has had the time to start his own fairy tale line (ok, that was mean but that's how I see it). Notice I don't even their names, neither has the recognition their father did when his grandfather was failing.

Some say neither is fit nor ready, and it's time to move away from the Kims.

This succession is going to be a lot more dangerous.

PessOptimist
05-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Kim Il-Sung ... He was on the news implying he's not the one, and it's up to his dad anyway.

His youngest son is 20. He's an adult, but he's not old enough to drink, as they say. There also is a middle son, and some say he's the one, but others say he's chronically ill. Neither has had the time to start his own fairy tale line (ok, that was mean but that's how I see it). Notice I don't even their names, neither has the recognition their father did when his grandfather was failing.

Some say neither is fit nor ready, and it's time to move away from the Kims.

This succession is going to be a lot more dangerous.

For WIW the sons are
Kim Jong-nam (born May 10, 1971, Pyongyang, North Korea)
Kim Jong-chul (born September 25, 1981)
Kim Jong-un, Kim Jong-woon or Kim Jung Woon (born 1983 or 1984)

All were born outside of whatever the NCs call marriage. There is a daughter born from his marriage to Kim Young-suk who's name is Kim Sul-song (born 1974).

His current squeeze (sorry companion, what was I thinking) is Young Ok. She is only 24 years younger than him so he shows remarkable restraint.

It is after all good to be the king.

This is going to get interesting and I hope not crazy for the sake of all the Koreans I have met and the US forces stationed there.

alevin
05-30-2009, 06:05 PM
I just posted a new public photo album in my CP-its an article about a life service award to a man who's been my father's friend for over 40 years now. Korean vet and beyond. Growing up across the street from him, I knew nothing of his time in service, only knew he worked for the CIA on secret stuff (of course!), but just learned recently he was a SEAL before there WERE SEALS. Back then, the diving equipment wasn't what it is today. He is dealing now with COPD-a legacy of his time as a SEAL-before there were SEALSs. I wanted to share the article with you guys-if you're so inclined, take a look at the article in the album-the pixels were too big to post here-the article was scanned from hardcopy.

Buster
06-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Reports: NKorea Kim's youngest son named successor

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea told its diplomatic missions that Kim Jong Il's youngest son — who reportedly enjoys skiing and studied English, German and French at a Swiss school — will be the nation's next leader, a South Korean lawmaker and newspapers said Tuesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090602/ap_on_re_as/as_nkorea_kim_jong_il_s_successor;_ylt=AmEdeftEPbJ h7bwlhRAhpwxs.aF4;_ylu=X3oDMTNocDh0dmk5BGFzc2V0Ay9 hcC8yMDA5MDYwMi9hcF9vbl9yZV9hcy9hc19ua29yZWFfa2ltX 2pvbmdfaWxfc19zdWNjZXNzb3IEY3BvcwM3BHBvcwM3BHNlYwN 5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDcmVwb3J0c25rb3Jl

Silverbird
06-13-2009, 04:54 PM
NKorea vows to "weapnize" plutonium - cites UN Sanctions (yes they actually managed to get a UN security council vote condeming their munitions test).
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/06/13/un.north.korea/index.html
And revealing of the Legend of the Brilliant Comrade (the new title for the youngest son) has started...

James48843
03-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Keep your eye on North Korea. Things getting interesting now.

North Korea leader orders rocket units on standby to hit U.S. bases: KCNA

Source: Reuters

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un orders the country's rocket units to be on standby to attack U.S. military bases in South Korea and the Pacific in an emergency meeting on Friday after the United States flew Stealth bombers in a show of force to Pyongyang.

The North's official KCNA news agency said Kim signed off on the orders at a midnight meeting of top generals and "judged the time has come to settle accounts with the U.S. imperialists in view of the prevailing situation."

"He finally signed the plan on technical preparations of strategic rockets of the KPA, ordering them to be standby for fire so that they may strike any time the U.S. mainland, its military bases in the operational theaters in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, and those in South Korea."

Read more: North Korea leader orders rocket units on standby to hit U.S. bases: KCNA | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/28/us-korea-north-kim-idUSBRE92R12E20130328)

sniper
03-28-2013, 10:51 PM
if they want nukes so bad we should send them a few. I'm sure nobody would miss north korea if they're wiped off the map

rcknfrewld
03-29-2013, 03:07 AM
Things have been getting interesting for years in north Korea with reports of them getting nukes...I thought Obama took care of the situation by giving them a stern diplomatic talking to...

Sensei
03-29-2013, 05:02 AM
if they want nukes so bad we should send them a few. I'm sure nobody would miss north korea if they're wiped off the map
I'm not so sure the South Koreans would agree with you.

law87
03-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Guys, its all talk... well either that or they are really dumb. Who in their right mind would do all these things and tell the opponent their tactic...its like a boxer going to a match and he tell his opponent what he is going to do "hey watch out I'm going to jab you"

they are obviously dying for attention and some aids that is why they are threatening countries.

law87
03-29-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm not so sure the South Koreans would agree with you.

I agree the radioactive would affect S. Korea and neighboring country. Tomahawk should do the trick.

RealMoneyIssues
03-29-2013, 09:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecPeSmF_ikc

nnuut
03-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Young UN has to prove himself to the people, they do this, it's a tradition. The dummy is playing with fire for political purposes he may get what he needs instead?

k0nkuzh0n
03-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Guys, its all talk... well either that or they are really dumb. Who in their right mind would do all these things and tell the opponent their tactic...its like a boxer going to a match and he tell his opponent what he is going to do "hey watch out I'm going to jab you"

they are obviously dying for attention and some aids that is why they are threatening countries.

I would say its more like a boxer saying "Im going to punch you in the mouth, back off"
From there the decision tree starts:
Option 1: Call it a bluff, and instigate with a dare... and you get punched in the mouth.
Option 2: Take a step back... and you don't get punched in the mouth.

WorkFE
03-29-2013, 10:53 AM
NK is such a closed and isolated Nation. There are so many unknown varialbes, atleast to the general population.
1. Do they have a working dilverable nuke. (Changes everything)
2. Does their beef with the US and SK have lines in the sand or do they have a Us against the world mentality.
3. Whom, within NK, is pulling the strings. Military is dangerous, civilian hiararchy is bluster.
4. Is China truly pissed off at their neighbor or is it just show. China may not want to deal with mass run on their border but they enjoy the buffer that NK provides.
5. What is the mind set of Russia, Japan and to a lesser degree all of the Asian Nations in the South China Sea or whatever we are calling it now.

In any event the rhetoric is at high levels and I hope there is behind the scenes talk going on, of which I am certain.

Frixxxx
03-29-2013, 11:57 AM
I've been on the lines in the R.O.K. enough times since 1990. I've seen this posture too many times to count.

I think China stopped talking to them after the last missile test and they need food.

Since we support no efforts directly or through the UN, this crap gets our attention. Kim Jong Un's people are hungry and tired.

He doesn't want to be the one who screwed up the regime.

nnuut
03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't see how a logical leader can seriously mean that he will send out a NUC and destroy something when he has to know the ramifications of such a move are they NNUUTS? NK = Radioactive DUST

WorkFE
03-29-2013, 12:35 PM
I've been on the lines in the R.O.K. enough times since 1990. I've seen this posture too many times to count.

Same here Frixxxx but in the past China has always been there. It's different now because they possibly don't have that firm hand on their shoulder and could lash out like a cornered animal.
Their leaders are not what most folks are used to. They are, to say the least, unpredictable. We shall see.

James48843
03-29-2013, 04:00 PM
North Korea: Kim Jong-un 'targets
George W. Bush's home state of Texas'

It is 12 years since George W. Bush named North Korea as one of the "Axis of Evil", yet Kim Jong-un still appears to bear a grudge.

A map detailing Mr Kim’s “US Mainland Strike Plan” was released by the Communist dictatorship on Friday.

A South Korean news organisation, NK News (http://www.nknews.org/2013/03/breaking-north-korean-photo-reveals-u-s-mainland-strike-plan/), published a composite image with a map of America overlaying the original. It claimed that Mr Bush’s home state of Texas was, possibly, in North Korea’s sights.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02522/north-korea-jong-2_2522858c.jpg

Kim Jong-un convening an urgent operation meeting at an undisclosed location (EPA)

Three other US targets appeared to have clear strategic value: Washington, DC, America’s capital; California, its most populous state; and Hawaii, a key US military outpost in the Pacific.

more:

North Korea: Kim Jong-un 'targets George W. Bush's home state of Texas' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9961795/North-Korea-Kim-Jong-un-targets-George-W.-Bushs-home-state-of-Texas.html)

and
ANALYSIS: North Korean Photo Reveals ‘U.S. Mainland Strike Plan’ | NK News – North Korea News (http://www.nknews.org/2013/03/breaking-north-korean-photo-reveals-u-s-mainland-strike-plan/)

nasa1974
03-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Here's an article from MSN.com:

How far can North Korean missiles reach? (http://news.msn.com/world/how-far-can-north-korean-missiles-reach)

How far can North Korean missiles reach?

A look at North Korea's missile arsenal and potential reach.
On March 29, North Korea put its rocket units on standby to attack US military bases in South Korea and the Pacific, according to media reports (http://news.msn.com/world/report-increased-activity-seen-at-north-korea-missile-units). Here's a look at North Korea's missile arsenal and its potential reach.

sniper
03-29-2013, 04:45 PM
am i going to hell for laughing about the names of their missiles named something-dong

James48843
03-29-2013, 05:27 PM
They don't need a tiny nuke, and they don't need a missile. North Korea already has a substantial submarine fleet- more than 70 subs.

ABBA'S WATCHMAN INC (http://www.abbaswatchman.com/NEWS%20North%20Korea%20maintains%20one%20of%20the% 20world%27s%20largest%20submarine%20forces.htm)

All they would need to do is place a nuke on a sub, and sail the sub up the US Coast to, say, San Diego, and get it within a few miles of a U.S. Aircraft Carrier base. Don't need to get close enough to actually bother the ships - just setting off a nuke a mile or two away would do it.

Or in the river next to Washington D.C.

Or New York City.

Or someplace else.

Don't think high-tech "Dong" missles.---Yes, they have those, but no, that's not how they are going to try and deliver a nuclear weapon.

Think low tech freighter ships, and low tech small subs to get close to the target.

More:
Covert Naval Blog: North Korean Small Submarines File (http://covertshores.blogspot.com/2010/06/north-korean-small-submarines-file.html)

Birchtree
03-29-2013, 07:25 PM
We've already sent two B2 bombers on training runs to South Korea where they dropped 2000 lb dummy bombs. Why not drop a real one on one of the North Korean islands and watch it vanish - that'll fill any young man's pants.

JTH
03-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Let's be serious here, this is nothing new, we've seen it before, we'll see see it again. The new guy needs to establish himself, proving to everyone he's worthy as their leader. Things will settle down soon enough and it will be bussiness as usual.

burrocrat
03-29-2013, 09:43 PM
i don't know, maybe if we stopped flying the B2's over their heads they'd quit shaking their fists at the sky? we should send dennis rodman back over there to tell kim to just shut his piehole and roll over. or maybe present him with an autographed copy of dreams from my father, see if they can't find some middle ground.

Sensei
03-30-2013, 12:13 AM
What everyone is neglecting to acknowledge in this thread is that South Korea is a very significant ally of the US, and they absolutely do NOT want the north nuked. Not because of radioactivity, but because they are one and the same people. There are many South Koreans with families in the north. Nuking them would be the equivalent of burning down your ex wife's house while your kids are sleeping in it. Nobody wants that to happen, and Kim & the gang are fully aware of it. That's why they can say whatever they want. If they start acting on their threats, we might retaliate, but only with the South's cooperation, and only by conventional warfare.

James48843
03-30-2013, 08:15 AM
NKorea says it is in 'a state of war' with SKorea

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea warned Seoul on Saturday that the Korean Peninsula was entering "a state of war" and threatened to shut down a border factory complex that's the last major symbol of inter-Korean cooperation.

Analysts say a full-scale conflict is extremely unlikely, noting that the Korean Peninsula has remained in a technical state of war for 60 years. But the North's continued threats toward Seoul and Washington, including a vow to launch a nuclear strike, have raised worries that a misjudgment between the sides could lead to a clash.

North Korea's threats are seen as efforts to provoke the new government in Seoul, led by President Park Geun-hye, to change its policies toward Pyongyang, and to win diplomatic talks with Washington that could get it more aid. North Korea's moves are also seen as ways to build domestic unity as young leader Kim Jong Un strengthens his military credentials. (snip)

North Korea said in a statement Saturday that it would deal with South Korea according to "wartime regulations" and would retaliate against any provocations by the United States and South Korea without notice.

"Now that the revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK have entered into an actual military action, the inter-Korean relations have naturally entered the state of war," said the statement, which was carried by Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency, referring to the North's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Provocations "will not be limited to a local war, but develop into an all-out war, a nuclear war," the statement said.

more:

NKorea says it is in 'a state of war' with SKorea (http://news.yahoo.com/nkorea-says-state-war-skorea-014344604.html)

Frixxxx
03-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Bunch a fear-mongering going on in this thread.

You guys are aware that there is a MAJOR exercise going on in South Korea right now,,,,,Correct?

It's called KEY RESOLVE...... and some time in late summer there will be ULCHI FOCUS GUARDIAN....

And when the exercise is over then North Korea will get quiet, and when the next exercise is going on, guess what? You'll hear the same thing ALL OVER AGAIN.

Just that this go around there seems to be a lull in what is newsworthy.

2012 - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/19/north-korea-south-military-drill

2011 - http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/02/26/north-korea-threatens-south-korea/

2010 - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/29/world/asia/29iht-korea.html?_r=0

sniper
03-30-2013, 05:29 PM
I think most people here know that NK won't do anything, but I'm also sure most think this game they've been playing for a while has gotten old a long time ago.

If any muslim/arab country threatened us the way they did, they would have already been blown to kingdom come. NK always seems to get a free pass

Buster
03-30-2013, 08:03 PM
It's not the child ruler I worry about..it's China...Let's not forget what or who was behind the North VC in the Vietnam era war....a leapard never changes his spots

nnuut
03-30-2013, 10:19 PM
I think we should break them from sucking' eggs! :suspicious: And China doesn't give a damn they have had enough, the BAD Boy has crossed the line. Why so confrontational, why so threatening, why so violent, why so proud, why so violent? PROGRESSIVE COMMUNIST!

James48843
03-31-2013, 06:15 PM
U.S. F-22 Stealth Jets Join South Korea Drills Amid Sabre-Rattling

Source: REUTERS

WASHINGTON, March 31 | Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:54pm EDT
(Reuters) - The United States sent F-22 stealth fighter jets to South Korea on Sunday to join military drills aimed at underscoring the U.S. commitment to defend Seoul in the face of an intensifying campaign of threats from North Korea.

The advanced, radar-evading F-22 Raptors were deployed to Osan Air Base, the main U.S. Air Force base in South Korea, from Japan to support ongoing bilateral exercises, the U.S. military command in South Korea said in a statement that urged North Korea to restrain itself.

"(North Korea) will achieve nothing by threats or provocations, which will only further isolate North Korea and undermine international efforts to ensure peace and stability in Northeast Asia," the statement said.

Sabre-rattling on the Korean peninsula drew a plea for peace from Pope Francis, who in his first Easter Sunday address called for a diplomatic solution to the crisis on the Korean peninsula.

Read more: U.S. F-22 stealth jets join South Korea drills amid sabre-rattling | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/31/korea-north-usa-f-idUSL2N0CN0BT20130331)

Buster
03-31-2013, 06:17 PM
Remember this little thingy...didn't seem like a lot of "fear-mongering" then

North Korea Fires Rockets at South
(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703904804575631763523837910.html)

Frixxxx
03-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Remember this little thingy...didn't seem like a lot of "fear-mongering" then

North Korea Fires Rockets at South
(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703904804575631763523837910.html)

That maneuver had no warning. That is why the missiles got through. But, I'm pretty sure it happened when there wasn't any "saber-rattling" going on either. But yeah 1 out of 127 saber rattling events, I guess total American Fear is necessary, if you feel it is necessary.

James48843
03-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Park tells military to set aside political considerations,
respond strongly to N.K. provocations

Source: Yonhap News Agency

SEOUL, April 1 (Yonhap) -- South Korea President Park Geun-hye instructed the military to set aside any political considerations and respond strongly in the event of North Korean provocations, as Pyongyang has churned out near-daily threats of war on the divided peninsula.

"The reason for the military's existence is to protect the country and the people from threats. If any provocations happen against our people and our country, we should respond strongly in the early stage without having any political considerations," Park made the remark during a policy briefing by the defense ministry.

In recent weeks, North Korea has sharply ratcheted up tensions with repeated war threats against the South in anger over joint military exercises between South Korea and the United States as well as a new U.N. Security Council resolution adopted for its third nuclear test.

Read more: Park tells military to set aside political considerations, respond strongly to N.K. provocations | YONHAP NEWS (http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2013/04/01/84/0200000000AEN20130401006800315F.HTML)

James48843
04-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Let me guess-- It's just a coincidence, right?

Website of American Forces in Korea Goes Dark

http://cdn.govexec.com/media/img/upload/2013/04/02/040213americakoreaNG/nextgov-medium.jpg

The United States Forces-Korea website (http://www.usfk.mil) was knocked offline early Tuesday morning by a hardware failure, Pentagon officials said.
Around 1:00 a.m. EDT, the site, which is managed by the Defense Department, showed up blank except for a message reading, "Network Error (gateway_error); An error occurred attempting to communicate with an HTTP or SOCKS gateway. The gateway may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem. For assistance, contact your network support team."

As of 2:30 p.m. the site was still out, at a time when many federal eyes are watching the Pacific area's physical and electronic assets closely. U.S. Forces-Korea is a shared headquarters that plans and prepares for sending combat forces to defeat adversaries in the peninsula region.

"Defense is aware that the U.S. Forces-Korea website -- www.usfk.mil (http://www.usfk.mil) -- is currently unavailable. Initial assessments indicate it is the result of a hardware failure. Communication specialists are diligently working to repair the problem to bring the site back online as soon as possible," Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Damien Pickart said.

Sure. O.k.

More: Website of American Forces in Korea Goes Dark - Nextgov.com (http://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2013/04/website-american-forces-korea-goes-dark/62239/?oref=river)

RealMoneyIssues
04-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Let me guess-- It's just a coincidence, right?

Sure. O.k.

More: Website of American Forces in Korea Goes Dark - Nextgov.com (http://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2013/04/website-american-forces-korea-goes-dark/62239/?oref=river)

I believe you would enjoy that, wouldn't you...

Scout333
04-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Sounds like he needs a rocket in his garden like Qaddafi. Not the best diplomacy but he sure did get quiet afterwards.

Show-me
04-04-2013, 09:07 PM
This new guy is scary crazy and untested. Anything goes with this nut job.

Sensei
04-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Sounds like he needs a rocket in his garden like Qaddafi. Not the best diplomacy but he sure did get quiet afterwards.
You're right, he became a model dictator after that. ;)

What's always surprised me is that, with all the Korean Americans and with our close military alliance with South Korea, we can't get some guys on the inside to take him out. Maybe I'm naive about espionage. Or maybe there's a reason we've let the Kims' little charade go on this long. I do think it would be a shock to the South if all of a sudden the walls came down and a hundred million starving peasants flowed into Seoul. It would be a much more difficult transition than the reunification of the Germanies, and if my high school memory serves me right, that was a pretty tough few years of unemployment, devaluation of their currency, and rampant inflation. Maybe we're trying to stall off that kind of situation.

WorkFE
04-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Sensei,
The population of NK is only about 25 Mil (est) and not all would be absorbed by SK. The problem is China would not sit by and watch SK expand into direct contact with their boarder. Of the 25 Mil, how many are hard liners. Subtract that number from the population and thats what you would have to deal with from an economic standpoint. Still way more than the South could deal with.

Frixxxx
04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Sensei,
The population of NK is only about 25 Mil (est) and not all would be absorbed by SK. The problem is China would not sit by and watch SK expand into direct contact with their boarder. Of the 25 Mil, how many are hard liners. Subtract that number from the population and thats what you would have to deal with from an economic standpoint. Still way more than the South could deal with.

Look guys, China is on track to make tons of money from the US, alot more than what they get through trades in NK. China and NK are neighbors, pseudo friends, and cooperate militarily. You can rest assure that now that we are withdrawing our troops from the exercise, the rhetoric will fade in kind.

Let's get the press to cover the true news, like the unemployment % is inaccurate, or that it's the zinc/lead mines in Alaska that need to be closed because their product is used in bullets.

James48843
04-05-2013, 01:00 PM
BBC is now reporting a Russian televsion report - that the North Koreans are telling the Russian Embassy in Pyongyang to evacuate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-6IcgnVpig

That certainly is an interesting development, if it is true.

More:

Now Washington Post is saying all Embassies in Pyongyang received formal notice from the North Korean government that N. Korea could not ensure safety of Embassy personnel after April 10.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/north-korea-urges-embassy-evacuation-russia-says/2013/04/05/ffd3db6e-9df1-11e2-a941-a19bce7af755_story.html

Interesting twist, no?

WorkFE
04-05-2013, 01:07 PM
"Korea Heating Up" Maybe I'm in the wrong thread.

I will gladly post unemployment info in the "True News Stories", "unemployment % is inaccurate" or "zinc/lead" thread when it's created.

Agree that financially China is well advised to look the other way but money and power are partners.

Frixxxx
04-05-2013, 02:08 PM
BBC is now reporting a Russian televsion report - that the North Koreans are telling the Russian Embassy in Pyongyang to evacuate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-6IcgnVpig

That certainly is an interesting development, if it is true.

More:

Now Washington Post is saying all Embassies in Pyongyang received formal notice from the North Korean government that N. Korea could not ensure safety of Embassy personnel after April 10.

North Korea urges embassy evacuation, Russia says - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/north-korea-urges-embassy-evacuation-russia-says/2013/04/05/ffd3db6e-9df1-11e2-a941-a19bce7af755_story.html)

Interesting twist, no?

No, propoganda, propoganda, propoganda.....

In other news, Borowitz reports massive collection of Decepticons are massing the border and Kim Jong-Un might be trying to acquire a light saber - Link (http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/04/kim-jong-un-moves-transformers-collection-to-border.html)

Buster
04-05-2013, 02:10 PM
That maneuver had no warning. That is why the missiles got through. But, I'm pretty sure it happened when there wasn't any "saber-rattling" going on either. But yeah 1 out of 127 saber rattling events, I guess total American Fear is necessary, if you feel it is necessary.You are the one labeling it FEAR..I say it is Justifiable Concern....Do you leave your doors unlocked on the house while you're sleeping?..I bet not!;)

Boghie
04-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Watch Iran...
North Korea is a head fake...
But, then again, NK is a psychotic and dangerous head fake...

Frixxxx
04-05-2013, 04:27 PM
You are the one labeling it FEAR..I say it is Justifiable Concern....Do you leave your doors unlocked on the house while you're sleeping?..I bet not!;)
I don't have criminals outside on the street screaming they might rob my house...... And yes it is FEAR, perpetuated by the media and they are SOOO reliable now-a-days!

Now, let's sit back, open our adult beverage and focus on something more important...... 88,000 jobs...

James48843
04-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Watch Iran...
North Korea is a head fake...
But, then again, NK is a psychotic and dangerous head fake...

Can't we just take on Canada, and annex all their land, tar sands oil, and beer?

James48843
04-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Fidel Castro advises friend North Korea against war

Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro warned ally North Korea against war on Friday and described the current tensions on the Korean Peninsula as one of the "gravest risks" for nuclear holocaust since the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962.

Saying he spoke as a friend, Castro wrote in Cuban state media that North Korea, led by 30-year-old Kim Jong-un, had shown the world its technical prowess and now it was time to remember its duties to others.

Now THERE you go. Fidel will teach him how to avoid thermonuclear war.

more:

Fidel Castro advises friend North Korea against war- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut (http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2013/04/05/news/cf7789d6-36df-485f-ba4e-26725d9a4733.txt)

James48843
04-09-2013, 08:26 AM
North Korea warns all foreigners in South Korea to leave the country for their own safety.

By Christine Kim and Joyce Lee
SEOUL | Tue Apr 9, 2013 9:07am EDT

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea intensified threats of an imminent conflict against the United States and the South on Tuesday, warning foreigners to evacuate South Korea to avoid being dragged into "thermonuclear war".

(snip)
Pyongyang has shown no sign of preparing its 1.2 million-strong army for war, indicating the threat could be aimed partly at bolstering Kim Jong-un, 30, the third in his family to lead the country.

(snip)

The warning to foreigners in the South, reported by the KCNA news agency, said once war broke out "it will be an all-out war, a merciless, sacred, retaliatory war to be waged by (North Korea).
"It does not want to see foreigners in South Korea fall victim to the war," the agency quoted the Korea Asia-Pacific Peace Committee as saying.

"The committee informs all foreign institutions and enterprises and foreigners, including tourists...that they are requested to take measures for shelter and evacuation in advance for their safety."

More:

North Korea warns foreigners to leave South amid new threats of war | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/09/us-korea-north-idUSBRE93408020130409)

Viva_La_Migra
04-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Can't we just take on Canada, and annex all their land, tar sands oil, and beer?
Might as well do Mexico first. Most of their people are already here. Might as well take advantage of their farmland, beaches, silver mines, oil, etc.

Warrenlm
04-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Best to remember as a Government Official you can be taken out of context by some in the media. They might drop the 'and beer'. I know, it's rare for the media to fail to report impartially. You don't want the FAA explaining why the Canadians have worked out a replacement buyer.....

Buster
04-09-2013, 10:49 AM
I don't have criminals outside on the street screaming they might rob my house...... And yes it is FEAR, perpetuated by the media and they are SOOO reliable now-a-days!

Now, let's sit back, open our adult beverage and focus on something more important...... 88,000 jobs...Man you must live on another planet or just so naive to what is outside your door...

Sorry, but I don't need any narcotic or alcohol to help me cope and deal with the REAL world around me..perhaps that is why you think it's a big rock candy mountain outside...just saying

Warrenlm
04-09-2013, 05:20 PM
U.S. Ambassador to SKorea Blogs About Vacation Amid Tension with NKorea | The Weekly Standard (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/us-ambassador-s-korea-blogs-about-vacation-amid-tension-north-korea_714668.html)

WorkFE
04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Just a show of force to China that they better not shut off their fuel supply again, or else. :laugh:

Thats a dog even the US does not want to poke.

sniper
04-12-2013, 02:37 PM
why did the chicken cross the road? cause he knew north korea's long range missiles couldn't reach that far

Birchtree
04-12-2013, 02:43 PM
I think we should drop the MOAB on yingping - that'll shut'em up. Or is that pingying.

MrBowl
04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Japan is the one that has to worry...

If North Korea shoots a missile at Japan, it will probably land in Japan. If they shoot one at the U.S., it will probably land in Japan.

Nobody has to nuke N Korea...just shoot a conventional missile at their posed missiles, and BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

Same goes for Iran.

k0nkuzh0n
04-12-2013, 06:30 PM
While it is very unlikely that North Korea could successfully attack mainland US with a missile from land, I do believe they have submarines that could inflict damage to the west coast

Viva_La_Migra
04-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Japan is the one that has to worry...

If North Korea shoots a missile at Japan, it will probably land in Japan. If they shoot one at the U.S., it will probably land in Japan.

Nobody has to nuke N Korea...just shoot a conventional missile at their posed missiles, and BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

Same goes for Iran.
I wonder if anyone thought to hack into their missile systems and make any destination they set on their rockets go directly to Beijing? They'd handle the light work for us. :nuts:

James48843
04-12-2013, 07:38 PM
While it is very unlikely that North Korea could successfully attack mainland US with a missile from land, I do believe they have submarines that could inflict damage to the west coast

North Korean subs:

"The Romeo class consists of Soviet diesel-electric submarines built in the 1950s.

The North's Navy is believed to operate Romeo-class submarines that are both locally assembled with Chinese parts and directly imported from China. The 76-meter-long sub can sail at 15.2 knots surfaced and 13 knots submerged. It can carry 21 anti-ship/anti-submarine torpedoes or 28 mines."

more:
N. Korean Submarines Pose Grave Threat to Security (http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2013/04/180_64462.html)

Warrenlm
04-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Not to worry. Although the military and naval forces have had to do more with less for the last decade or two, the SOSUS etc. has surely been spared from degradation, just in this eventuality. After all we realized it was more imperative to move millions into Medicaid, SNAP, TANF, da di da

PessOptimist
04-13-2013, 02:51 PM
North Korean subs:

"The Romeo class consists of Soviet diesel-electric submarines built in the 1950s.

The North's Navy is believed to operate Romeo-class submarines that are both locally assembled with Chinese parts and directly imported from China. The 76-meter-long sub can sail at 15.2 knots surfaced and 13 knots submerged. It can carry 21 anti-ship/anti-submarine torpedoes or 28 mines."

more:
N. Korean Submarines Pose Grave Threat to Security (http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2013/04/180_64462.html)

Thanks for the info. Just curious, the graphic says the Romeo class carries 14 torpedoes but your quote (from the article?) states 21.

No I didn't read the article, gotta go finish my taxes.

Did they upgrade the capacity by eliminating sleeping quarters?

And does it say any of these subs can fire a missle?

OK, back to 1040, 140 etc.

99percent
04-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Yeah, Korea's gonna heat up real soon. Like a glass factory.

99percent
04-14-2013, 01:11 AM
Rodman is heading back to N. Korea! We're saved!

sniper
04-14-2013, 03:00 AM
we're just waiting for rodman to go back so we can nuke their asses then. 2 dirtbags with 1 stone

99percent
04-14-2013, 08:33 AM
we're just waiting for rodman to go back so we can nuke their asses then. 2 dirtbags with 1 stone

LOL Good one sniper! :laugh:

James48843
04-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Nobody's Seen Kim Jong Un Publicly for Two Weeks

ADAM CLARK ESTES --1:00 PM ET

North Korea's been owning headlines for the better part of a month now with its threats against the American imperialists and friends. Kim Jong Un, however, has been less conspicuous. In fact, the country's supreme leader has basically been absent from the public eye altogether, so much so that there are whispers of a coup. That hardly seems likely based on what we've seen the North Korean army doing on the ground, but it's curious nonetheless.

It's not entirely out of the question for Kim Jong Un to lay low. He's called a "strange hermit king" for a reason. However, it's kind of an important moment for North Korea. In recent weeks, the country's repeatedly threatened a nuclear attack on the Untied States and most recently aimed its guns at Japan. Kim Jong Un's been checked out, though, and some say it's all a part of the intimidation strategy. Kim hasn't been seen in public since April 1, when he led a session of parliament. Pyongyang's been busy in the meantime, shutting down factories, prepping for a fourth nuclear test and moving missiles towards the U.S. South Korea's Yonhap news agency says that the leader's absence amounts to "psychological warfare that could grab attention from South Korea and the United States."

Quite frankly, the fact that Kim Jong Un is scarce lately is a lot less frightening than the fact that North Korea is threatening to launch a nuclear bomb at the United States. Again, he's known for being hermitic, and with so many foreign intelligence agencies breathing down his neck, now's probably not the best time for the young dictator to go on long walks alone. It's pretty likely that Kim will come out of hiding soon, as the anniversary for his grandfather Kim Il-Sung is right around the corner. In the meantime, as secretary of state John Kerry tours the region, experts suggest that he's backed himself into a corner. "His father and his grandfather always figured into their provocation cycle an off-ramp of how to get out of it," Adm. Samuel Locklear III, the commander of U.S. troops in the Pacific, told Congress last week. "It's not clear to me that he has thought through how to get out of it."

###

Hmmmmmm.

More:
Nobody's Seen Kim Jong Un Publicly for Two Weeks - Adam Clark Estes - The Atlantic Wire (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2013/04/nobodys-seen-kim-jong-un-publically-two-weeks/64206/)

burrocrat
04-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Hmmmmmm.

More:
Nobody's Seen Kim Jong Un Publicly for Two Weeks - Adam Clark Estes - The Atlantic Wire (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2013/04/nobodys-seen-kim-jong-un-publically-two-weeks/64206/)

where have you been? kim dongs umm is all over the youtube for months now. glass baby, glass.

YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9bZkp7q19f0)

no cpl not that kind of glass, where am i at?

high right.

click clack. boom.

Frixxxx
06-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Guess it's not so hot anymore:

North Korea proposes talks with U.S. (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_KOREAS_TENSION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-06-16-04-53-38)

RealMoneyIssues
06-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Guess it's not so hot anymore:

North Korea proposes talks with U.S. (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_KOREAS_TENSION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-06-16-04-53-38)

Maybe we should send flamboyant basketball players to other countries like Iran or Syria? Hey, if it works...