PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 "Swine" Flu...

James48843
04-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Follow the Center for Disease Control Atlanta announcements about Swine Flu - on TWITTER:

http://twitter.com/cdcemergency (http://twitter.com/cdcemergency)

(Now i've seen everything).

XL-entLady
04-27-2009, 08:25 PM
People who do stock tips on Twitter are called "Stocktwits" so what is this? A Porktwit? :cheesy:

Lady

nnuut
04-28-2009, 07:44 AM
coch-a-doodle-Oink:laugh:
(Changed first word, auto filter didn't like a rooster's other name) Boy!

Pill
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
What is swine flu?
Swine Influenza (swine flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza viruses. Outbreaks of swine flu happen regularly in pigs. People do not normally get swine flu, but human infections can and do happen. Most commonly, human cases of swine flu happen in people who are around pigs but it’s possible for swine flu viruses to spread from person to person also.

Are there human infections with swine flu in the U.S.?
In late March and early April 2009, cases of human infection with swine influenza A (H1N1) viruses were first reported in Southern California and near San Antonio, Texas. CDC and local and state health agencies are working together to investigate this situation.

Is this swine flu virus contagious?
CDC has determined that this virus is contagious and is spreading from human to human. However, at this time, it not known how easily the virus spreads between people.
What are the signs and symptoms of swine flu in people?
The symptoms of swine flu in people are similar to the symptoms of regular human flu and include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with swine flu. In the past, severe illness (pneumonia and respiratory failure) and deaths have been reported with swine flu infection in people. Like seasonal flu, swine flu may cause a worsening of underlying chronic medical conditions.

How serious is swine flu infection?
Like seasonal flu, swine flu in humans can vary in severity from mild to severe. Between 2005 until January 2009, 12 human cases of swine flu were detected in the U.S. with no deaths occurring. However, swine flu infection can be serious. In September 1988, a previously healthy 32-year-old pregnant woman in Wisconsin was hospitalized for pneumonia after being infected with swine flu and died 8 days later. A swine flu outbreak in Fort Dix, New Jersey occurred in 1976 that caused more than 200 cases with serious illness in several people and one death.

How do you catch swine flu?
Spread of swine flu can occur in two ways:
• Through contact with infected pigs or environments contaminated with swine flu viruses.
• Through contact with a person with swine flu. Human-to-human spread of swine flu has been documented also and is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu. Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.
Are there medicines to treat swine flu?
Yes. CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for the treatment and/or prevention of infection with these swine influenza viruses. Antiviral drugs are prescription medicines (pills, liquid or an inhaler) that fight against the flu by keeping flu viruses from reproducing in your body. If you get sick, antiviral drugs can make your illness milder and make you feel better faster. They may also prevent serious flu complications. For treatment, antiviral drugs work best if started soon after getting sick (within 2 days of symptoms).

How long can an infected person spread swine flu to others?
People with swine influenza virus infection should be considered potentially contagious as long as they are symptomatic and possible for up to 7 days following illness onset. Children, especially younger children, might potentially be contagious for longer periods.
What can I do to protect myself from getting sick?
There is no vaccine available right now to protect against swine flu. There are everyday actions that can help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses like influenza. Take these everyday steps to protect your health:
• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are
also effective.
• Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
• If you get sick with influenza, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread
this way.

James48843
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Interim Guidance on Specimen Collection and Processing for Patients with Suspected Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection

(Information for Health Care Professionals)

April 28, 2009 06:00 AM ET

Objective: To provide interim guidance on appropriate specimen collection, storage, and processing for patients with suspected swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection.

Case Definitions for Infection with Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus

A confirmed case of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection is defined as a person with an acute febrile respiratory illness with laboratory confirmed swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection at CDC by one or more of the following tests:

real-time RT-PCR
viral culture
A probable case of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection is defined as a person with an acute febrile respiratory illness who is:

positive for influenza A, but negative for H1 and H3 by influenza RT-PCR, or
positive for influenza A by an influenza rapid test or an influenza immunofluorescence assay (IFA) plus meets criteria for a suspected case
A suspected case of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection is defined as a person with acute febrile respiratory illness with onset

within 7 days of close contact with a person who is a confirmed case of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection, or
within 7 days of travel to community either within the United States or internationally where there are one or more confirmed swine influenza A(H1N1) cases, or
resides in a community where there are one or more confirmed swine influenza cases.
Duration of Viral Shedding

The duration of shedding with swine influenza A (H1N1) virus is unknown. Therefore, until data are available, the estimated duration of viral shedding is based upon seasonal influenza virus infection. Infected persons are assumed to be shedding virus and potentially infectious from the day prior to illness onset until resolution of fever. Infected persons should be assumed to be contagious up to 7 days from illness onset. Some persons who are infected might potentially shed virus and be contagious for longer periods (e.g., young infants, immunosuppressed, and immunocompromised persons).

Testing for Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus

All suspected cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) should have upper respiratory specimens collected to test for swine influenza A (H1N1) virus.

Preferred Respiratory Specimens:

The following should be collected as soon as possible after illness onset: nasopharyngeal swab/aspirate or nasal wash/aspirate. If these specimens cannot be collected, a combined nasal swab with an oropharyngeal swab is acceptable. For patients who are intubated, an endotracheal aspirate should also be collected. Specimens should be placed into sterile viral transport media (VTM) and immediately placed on ice or cold packs or at 4°C (refrigerator) for transport to the laboratory. Recommended infection control guidance is available for persons collecting clinical specimens (http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/guidelines_infection_control.htm) and for laboratory personnel (http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/guidelines_labworkers.htm).

Swabs

Ideally, swab specimens should be collected using swabs with a synthetic tip (e.g., polyester or Dacron®) and an aluminum or plastic shaft. Swabs with cotton tips and wooden shafts are not recommended. Specimens collected with swabs made of calcium alginate are not acceptable. The swab specimen collection vials should contain 3ml of viral transport medium (e.g., containing, protein stabilizer, antibiotics to discourage bacterial and fungal growth, and buffer solution), such as M4RT or the BD Universal Viral Transport System (http://www.bd.com/ds/productCenter/220240.asp)http://www.cdc.gov/TemplatePackage/images/icon_out.png (http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/specimencollection.htm#linkPolicy).

Storing Clinical Specimens

All respiratory specimens should be kept at 4°C until they can be placed at -70°C. If a -70°C freezer is not available, specimens should be kept at 4°C, preferably no longer than 1 week.

Shipping Clinical Specimens

Clinical specimens should be shipped on dry ice in appropriate packaging.
All specimens should be labeled clearly and include information requested by your state public health laboratory. Suspect case specimens shipped from the state public health laboratory to CDC should include all information required for seasonal influenza surveillance isolate or specimen submission.

Recommended Tests

Real-time RT-PCR for influenza A, B, H1, H3 at a State Health Department Laboratory is recommended. Currently, swine influenza A (H1N1) virus will test positive for influenza A and negative for H1 and H3 by real-time RT-PCR. If reactivity of real-time RT-PCR for influenza A is strong (e.g., Ct <30) it is more suggestive of a novel influenza A virus. Confirmation as swine influenza A (H1N1) virus is performed at CDC currently, but may be available in state public health laboratories soon.

Other Influenza Tests

Rapid Influenza Antigen Test

Some commercially available rapid tests can distinguish between influenza A and B viruses. A patient with a positive rapid test for influenza A may meet criteria for a probable case (see above (http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/specimencollection.htm#probablecase)). These tests have unknown sensitivity and specificity to detect human infection with swine influenza A (H1N1) virus in clinical specimens, and have suboptimal sensitivity to detect seasonal influenza viruses. Therefore, a negative rapid test could be a false negative and should not be assumed a final diagnostic test for swine influenza infection.

Immunofluorescence (DFA or IFA)

These tests can distinguish between influenza A and B viruses. A patient with a positive for influenza A by immunofluorescence may meet criteria for a probable case (see above (http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/specimencollection.htm#probablecase)). Immunofluorescence depends upon the quality of a clinical specimen, operator skills, and has unknown sensitivity and specificity to detect human infection with swine influenza A (H1N1) virus in clinical specimens. Therefore, a negative immunofluorescence could be a false negative and should not be assumed a final diagnostic test for swine influenza infection.

Viral Culture

Isolation of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus is diagnostic of infection, but may not yield timely results for clinical management. A negative viral culture does not exclude infection with swine influenza A (H1N1) virus.

Links to non-federal organizations are provided solely as a service to our users. These links do not constitute an endorsement of these organizations or their programs by CDC or the federal government, and none should be inferred. CDC is not responsible for the content of the individual organization Web pages found at these links.

ATCJeff
04-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Read more here also:http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101112 warning, deep reading

Jeff

edit: more here also:http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20422

James48843
04-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Nice website. that helps me understand the technical side. thanks!

hessian
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM
FYI. Mapped below are individual cases of the pandemic (worldwide)!
Although, note, we may not see here China, or other South Asian Countries reporting their cases! But still, this is updated frequently so, its spread can be tracked by this website (generally). Be sure to Pan across to Europe, and also Austarlia areas - and try zoom -in/zoom-out.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&source=embed&ll=61.689872,-92.460937&spn=34.586677,144.492187&z=3

Frixxxx
04-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Moderator,

Please rename thread to "H1N1 Flu". Apparently, the term "Swine" scares our less educated global partners and they may decide to stop importing our pork products.

Also, "Swine" is not kosher, so we are not to "offend" the flu with disgusting little names like that.

I'm currently seeking an interview with Hydrogen and Nitrogen to determine if they fear retaliation/segregation with the way the flu is annotated above. Apparently no one has yet to consult them.

Does anyone get the feeling that our "PC"isms are now officially "OUT OF CONTROL?"

hessian
04-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Frixxx may be right, but what about the Bird Flu that was (and still is) the concern of a year ago.
Oh, hey maybe bunny huggers and leaf lickers would take offense at the term Bird Flu. But maybe we need something more PC here too? I agree Frixxx. Where's it end, what's the big deal?

Important thing is to monitor this pandemic's spread!!! http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&source=embed&ll=61.689872,-92.460937&spn=34.586677,144.492187&z=3

Next one could be much worse, and so far CDC is as expected - impotent to even know where to begin, and now its out of control! :(

James48843
04-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Moderator,

Please rename thread to "H1N1 Flu". Apparently, the term "Swine" scares our less educated global partners and they may decide to stop importing our pork products.

Also, "Swine" is not kosher, so we are not to "offend" the flu with disgusting little names like that.

I'm currently seeking an interview with Hydrogen and Nitrogen to determine if they fear retaliation/segregation with the way the flu is annotated above. Apparently no one has yet to consult them.

Does anyone get the feeling that our "PC"isms are now officially "OUT OF CONTROL?"

"What's in a name?

That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."

James48843
04-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I read on one of the biologist's threads the debate about what name it should be.

"Mexican Flu" was ruled out, as it castigates an entire nation.

"Swine Flu" was taking hits from Israel, and Arab countries, as well as U.S. Pork Producers.

So, the best name I heard proposed so far is this....

Since the genetic makeup appears to be directly traceable to 2 parts of Swine Flu, one part Human flu, and one part Avian flu (genetically related, so to speak),, one person proposed calling it ....

the "SHa Na Na Flu" (Swine, Human, aNd Avian flu...)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/379515114_5b83b0d481_o.jpg

( i guess that dates me, eh? )

alevin
04-28-2009, 11:05 PM
So, the best name I heard proposed so far is this....

Since the genetic makeup appears to be directly traceable to 2 parts of Swine Flu, one part Human flu, and one part Avian flu (genetically related, so to speak),, one person proposed calling it ....

the "SHa Na Na Flu" (Swine, Human, aNd Avian flu...)
(i guess that dates me, eh? )

LOL, that name might, just might catch on. It was a catchy tune, don't know if it went international top40 or not tho? :rolleyes:

XL-entLady
04-29-2009, 06:45 AM
First swine flu death in U.S. reported

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A child in Texas has become the first fatality from swine flu in the United States, the acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday. "I can confirm the very sad news out of Texas that a child has died of the H1N1 virus," the CDC's Dr. Richard Besser said.

Mexican health officials suspect the swine flu outbreak has caused at least 159 deaths and roughly 2,500 illnesses.
Governments around the world scrambled to prevent further outbreak.
Some, like China and Russia, banned pork imports from the United States and Mexico, even though the World Health Organization said the disease "has not been shown to be transmissible to people through eating properly handled and prepared pork (pig meat) or other products derived from pigs." ....
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued emergency authorization for the use of two of the most common antiviral drugs, Tamiflu and Relenza. The authorization allows the distribution of the drugs by a broader range of health-care workers and loosens age limits for their use.
In Mexico City, however, there is a shortage of such medication. It also became impossible to find protective surgical masks, which the government had handed out to one out of every five residents. ....
Swine influenza, or flu, is a contagious respiratory disease that affects pigs.
When the flu spreads person-to-person, instead of from animals to humans, it can continue to mutate, making it harder to treat or fight, because people have no natural immunity.
Symptoms include fever, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Common seasonal flu kills 250,000 to 500,000 people every year worldwide, far more than the current outbreak of swine flu.
But there is no vaccine for the new disease, and little natural immunity, an expert said.
"I think the reason to be concerned is ... we had a vaccine for regular flu," said Dr. Carlos del Rio of the Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia. "This is a totally new virus. ... You have a virus to which there's no pre-vaccination, there's no prior immunity. And, therefore, the mortality rate may be higher than other influenza viruses."
Researchers do not know how the virus is jumping relatively easily from person to person, or why it's affecting what should be society's healthiest demographic."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/29/swine.flu/index.html

Lady

Silverbird
04-29-2009, 08:47 AM
You would think that "Swine Flu" would be a validation of Kosher eating, rather than a swat to it. Ok, you supposedly can't catch it from *eating* pork, but it orignates from pigs, yes? I guess we need to come up with some three letter acronym like SARS? How about SFM (Swine Flu Mexico) or SF09 (Swine Flu '09)? :cheesy:

I like "Swine Flu" because it pinpoints the vector. I'm not sure what the vector for the "Hong Kong Flu" is (maybe we don't know), though I know it does have a distinct signature. Plus the name suggests it only starts in Hong Kong every time it hatches.

Frixxxx
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
You would think that "Swine Flu" would be a validation of Kosher eating, rather than a swat to it. Ok, you supposedly can't catch it from *eating* pork, but it orignates from pigs, yes? I guess we need to come up with some three letter acronym like SARS? How about SFM (Swine Flu Mexico) or SF09 (Swine Flu '09)?

Nice one, but really, the reason they want to change the name is because those who do not eat the filthy little pig say it infers that someone actually ate it to get the flu....another reason why education "WORLDWIDE" is necessary before understanding can ever be achieved.:cool:

Oldcoin
04-29-2009, 10:00 AM
I’m calling it the Chile Verde Flu, a Mexican dish of pork cooked in a green sauce.

I’ve also started tracking the number of hits on google for “Swine Flu Conspiracy” yesterday I got 180,00 today it’s at 805,000.

Frixxxx
04-29-2009, 10:14 AM
I’m calling it the Chile Verde Flu, a Mexican dish of pork cooked in a green sauce. MMmmmm...Yummy!:laugh:

I’ve also started tracking the number of hits on google for “Swine Flu Conspiracy” yesterday I got 180,00 today it’s at 805,000.
835,000 10 minutes Later:laugh:....WAIT...Is it a conspiracy?:suspicious:

Oldcoin
04-29-2009, 10:23 AM
MMmmmm...Yummy!:laugh:

835,000 10 minutes Later:laugh:....WAIT...Is it a conspiracy?:suspicious:

You can take your pick of theories, the wilder the better. So far I haven’t seen space aliens blamed yet……I’ll give it more time.

James48843
04-29-2009, 12:51 PM
You can take your pick of theories, the wilder the better. So far I haven’t seen space aliens blamed yet……I’ll give it more time.

I found it.

Here is the connection. Swine Flu...+ Space Aliens:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/thumb/c/c7/Planetza.JPG/300px-Planetza.JPG

XL-entLady
04-29-2009, 12:59 PM
I found it.

Here is the connection. Swine Flu...+ Space Aliens:

LOL! That's perfect! We need to get our Miss Piggy to be a double agent for us on this one! And here I thought it was the Goa'uld or the Replicators.

Lady

CapeChem
04-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Just saw that the child that died in texas was a mexican child flown to texas for treatment....

ATCJeff
04-29-2009, 10:57 PM
This thread has gone to %$#@.

Watch this video, it's eye opening!

http://www.wpxi.com/video/19313969/index.html

more here: http://www.recombinomics.com/News/04290901/H1N1_Pandemic_5.html
http://www.recombinomics.com/whats_new.html

ATCJeff
04-29-2009, 11:25 PM
All Fort Worth schools closed amid flu concerns
http://www.star-telegram.com/metro_news/story/1347939.html

ATCJeff
04-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Just saw that the child that died in texas was a mexican child flown to texas for treatment....

Mexican boy visiting Texas 1st US swine flu death
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hz-vH6PI3bg1rJNVs11Q7lnMFq3wD97SA74O1

James48843
04-30-2009, 05:02 AM
It helps to have a little historic perspective.

Here is the chart of deaths per 100,000 from Influenza from the first half of the 20th century. The chart ends in 1953, when they had, on average, 31 deaths per 100,000 population from all strains of Influenza.

http://www.history.navy.mil/pics/flu-55.jpg

Today, the death rate from all strains of influenza is only about 8 per 100,000 people, or about 36,000 people a year in the U.S. dying from the flu.

This strain? So far- only one person in the U.S., and that was someone who came to the U.S. for medical treatment from Mexico.

I'm not too worried.

ATCJeff
04-30-2009, 05:26 AM
Only problem is that this current strain H1N1 is the same strain that caused the 1918-1919 pandemic which killed 5% of our population.

James48843
04-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Only problem is that this current strain H1N1 is the same strain that caused the 1918-1919 pandemic which killed 5% of our population.

No, ATCJeff, that is not correct.

This "H1N1 Swine Flu" isn't anything at all genetically like the 1918 Spanish Flu virus.

Here is a good read: http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-sci-swine-reality30-2009apr30,0,3606923.story

This one genetically appears to be more related to a cross between several different versions of influenza that have appeared over the last few years, but is genetically very different from the 1918 version.

Here is a clip from today's LA Times article: read the whole article at the link above.
----------------------------------------------

""This virus doesn't have anywhere near the capacity to kill like the 1918 virus," which claimed an estimated 50 million victims worldwide, said Richard Webby, a leading influenza virologist at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn.

When the current virus was first identified, the similarities between it and the 1918 flu seemed ominous.

Both arose in the spring at the tail end of the flu season. Both seemed to strike people who were young and healthy instead of the elderly and infants. Both were H1N1 strains, so called because they had the same types of two key proteins that are largely responsible for a virus' ability to infect and spread.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes of Health published genetic sequence data Monday morning of flu samples isolated from patients in California and Texas, and thousands of scientists immediately began downloading the information. Comparisons to known killers -- such as the 1918 strain and the highly lethal H5N1 avian virus -- have since provided welcome news.

"There are certain characteristics, molecular signatures, which this virus lacks," said Peter Palese, a microbiologist and influenza expert at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York. In particular, the swine flu lacks an amino acid that appears to increase the number of virus particles in the lungs and make the disease more deadly.

Scientists have identified several other differences between the current virus and its 1918 predecessor, but the significance of those differences is still unclear, said Dr. Scott Layne, an epidemiologist at the UCLA School of Public Health.

Ralph Tripp, an influenza expert at the University of Georgia, said that his early analysis of the virus' protein-making instructions suggested that people exposed to the 1957 flu pandemic -- which killed up to 2 million people worldwide -- may have some immunity to the new strain.

nnuut
04-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Ralph Tripp, an influenza expert at the University of Georgia, said that his early analysis of the virus' protein-making instructions suggested that people exposed to the 1957 flu pandemic -- which killed up to 2 million people worldwide -- may have some immunity to the new strain.
WOW!!! 1957, I had that one!! I believe thay called it the Asiatic flu? Yep that was it:

ASIATIC FLU
Pronunciation (US):

Dictionary entry overview: What does Asiatic flu mean?
• ASIATIC FLU (noun) (http://www.audioenglish.net/dictionary/asiatic_flu.htm#noun)
The noun ASIATIC FLU has 1 sense:
1. influenza caused by the Asian virus that was first isolated in 1957

Familiarity information: ASIATIC FLU used as a noun is very rare.
http://www.audioenglish.net/dictionary/asiatic_flu.htm

I was one sick child, I remember the nausea and the high fever, dizzy! I may have some immunity, that's GOOD! :)

ATCJeff
04-30-2009, 09:16 AM
No, ATCJeff, that is not correct.

This "H1N1 Swine Flu" isn't anything at all genetically like the 1918 Spanish Flu virus.

Here is a good read: http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-sci-swine-reality30-2009apr30,0,3606923.story

This one genetically appears to be more related to a cross between several different versions of influenza that have appeared over the last few years, but is genetically very different from the 1918 version.

Here is a clip from today's LA Times article: read the whole article at the link above.
----------------------------------------------

""This virus doesn't have anywhere near the capacity to kill like the 1918 virus," which claimed an estimated 50 million victims worldwide, said Richard Webby, a leading influenza virologist at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn.

When the current virus was first identified, the similarities between it and the 1918 flu seemed ominous.

Both arose in the spring at the tail end of the flu season. Both seemed to strike people who were young and healthy instead of the elderly and infants. Both were H1N1 strains, so called because they had the same types of two key proteins that are largely responsible for a virus' ability to infect and spread.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes of Health published genetic sequence data Monday morning of flu samples isolated from patients in California and Texas, and thousands of scientists immediately began downloading the information. Comparisons to known killers -- such as the 1918 strain and the highly lethal H5N1 avian virus -- have since provided welcome news.

"There are certain characteristics, molecular signatures, which this virus lacks," said Peter Palese, a microbiologist and influenza expert at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York. In particular, the swine flu lacks an amino acid that appears to increase the number of virus particles in the lungs and make the disease more deadly.

Scientists have identified several other differences between the current virus and its 1918 predecessor, but the significance of those differences is still unclear, said Dr. Scott Layne, an epidemiologist at the UCLA School of Public Health.

I didn't say that this version of the H1N1 would behave like the same version in 1918. I just stated they were the same strains. Why do you think the WHO and CDC are concern? As this strain mutates and spreads, this strain could change into something like the 1918 bug.

This current version is still in the process of programming itself. The lack of the amino acid molecule is good news. That doesn't mean it will not change. As this strain spreads, especially in the southern hemisphere, there's a chance that this swine H1N1 version will come across the human H1N1 strain and combine. When this happens, you could have the amino acid molecule form in the correct suquence.

Frixxxx
04-30-2009, 09:37 AM
I didn't say that this version of the H1N1 would behave like the same version in 1918. I just stated they were the same strains. Why do you think the WHO and CDC are concern? As this strain mutates and spreads, this strain could change into something like the 1918 bug.

I am concerned that we are a society that cries "WOLF" too much. Notify the world there is a concern. Rationally go through testing and evaluation and report facts. Treat when available.

WE ARE TOO MUCH OF A PRESS DRIVEN SOCIETY....

The news from Fox to CNN and everyone in between need to CALM DOWN.

Humans are not indestructable. Don't pretend that everything can be avoided with a shot or pill...People will die, there will be deaths, are we so pompous that we forget this??

Scout333
04-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Little concerned about the free use of the description of this flu strain as a potential "pandemic". Not likely but same precautions will limit the spread of the disease. Handwashing and avoidance of sick people especially children are just common sense. We should, however, prepare for a real pandemic! According to most health professionals I know It's only a matter of time!

Key things to keep on hand- 30-60 day supply of your medicines, potable water, canned goods, toilet paper, cash, and ammo (to protect you and yours from those who haven't prepared). Just think about it like this, no police, no healthcare, no grocery stores, no fuel for your cars, no bank access, no services. You're totally on your own!! :worried:

James48843
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I am concerned that we are a society that cries "WOLF" too much. Notify the world there is a concern. Rationally go through testing and evaluation and report facts. Treat when available.

WE ARE TOO MUCH OF A PRESS DRIVEN SOCIETY....

The news from Fox to CNN and everyone in between need to CALM DOWN.

Humans are not indestructable. Don't pretend that everything can be avoided with a shot or pill...People will die, there will be deaths, are we so pompous that we forget this??

I second that motion.

James48843
04-30-2009, 10:41 AM
My agency is passing out this poster- suitable for printing out, and posting in bathrooms and break areas:

https://employees.faa.gov/employee_services/safety/emerg_planning/media/Poster.pdf

Silverbird
04-30-2009, 12:49 PM
WHO to stop using term ‘swine flu’

Group seeks to prevent needless slaughter of pigs as worldwide cases climb

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30398682/
[Nice overview, including symptom list, and review of actions around the world, both useful and not so helpful]

XL-entLady
04-30-2009, 02:51 PM
H1N1 makes it to Utah. Had a noon press conference to announce "probable" cases. Someone I know who does know says cases in southern Utah and Summit County are awaiting CDC official word, but he's sure that's what it is. Just acting like "regular" flu right now.

Wash your hands :) ... while singing the ABC song ;) ... so you know you've washed long enough. :D

Lady

Frixxxx
04-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I wash after every post...Singing pollywollydoodle, all the day!!!

James48843
04-30-2009, 06:36 PM
This just in......

White House tries to explain what Joe Biden REALLY meant this morning, when he said he wouldn't let his family fly on a plane to Mexico...or anywhere else...

Pq85P3NTdKg

Ya gotta admit- having ol 'Tell it like it is.." Joe Biden as Vice President is about the best thing to ever happen to President Obama....

We're in for some good entertainment over the next 3 1/2 years..... :-)

PessOptimist
04-30-2009, 09:24 PM
This is on everyones mind. I was working a problem today with some techs in Houston and points in between there and Phoenix and during our waiting time this subject came up. No one is panicking, just concerned. Of course comm techs don't panic easily unlike our customers.:D

Off subject but did you know if you lease a dedicated circuit in the US that British Telecom may be your carrier?

I almost lost my little brother to the 57 Asian flu. My Dad was our little town's version of a first responder (read volunteer fireman) in those days and got him cleared out and breathing again. So it's nothing to take lightly but nothing to panic about either.

The media likes a good spin on slow days and what could be better than a pandemic?

The VP either likes to stir the pot of never engages his brain before opening his mouth. I never figured which with that guy.

At one time the USAF advised us to recite the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag while washing our hands but it turned out that was not long enough...possibly it was aimed at those who stumble through it cause they don't know the words.

Everyone stay well and keep the news coming.

Buster
05-01-2009, 12:14 AM
One way to you might catch "Swine" Something....

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/Atwater/pigkiss.jpg

Oldcoin
05-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Results 1 - 10 of about 4,400,000 for swine flu conspiracy. (0.10 seconds)

Oldcoin
05-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Looking at the “similar threads” at the bottom of this screen seems like we’ve gone through some kind of flu scare this time of year in past years.

James48843
05-05-2009, 02:23 AM
World Health Organization, Questions and Answers on Flu Vaccines:

Vaccines Q & A for the new influenza A(H1N1)

2 May 2009

Is an effective vaccine already available against the new influenza A(H1N1) virus?

No, but work is already under way to develop such a vaccine. Influenza vaccines generally contain a dead or weakened form of a circulating virus. The vaccine prepares the body’s immune system to defend against a true infection. For the vaccine to protect as well as possible, the virus in it should match the circulating “wild-type” virus relatively closely. Since this H1N1 virus is new, there is no vaccine currently available made with this particular virus. Making a completely new influenza vaccine can take five to six months.

What implications does the declaration of a pandemic have on influenza vaccine production?

Declaration by WHO of phase 6 of pandemic alert does not by itself automatically translate into a request for vaccine manufacturers to immediately stop production of seasonal influenza vaccine and to start production of a pandemic vaccine. Since seasonal influenza can also cause severe disease, WHO will take several important considerations such as the epidemiology and the severity of the disease when deciding when to formally make recommendations on this matter. In the meantime, WHO will continue to interact very closely with regulatory and other agencies and influenza vaccine manufacturers.

How important will influenza A(H1N1) vaccines be for reducing pandemic disease?

Vaccines are one of the most valuable ways to protect people during influenza epidemics and pandemics. Other measures include anti-viral drugs, social distancing and personal hygiene.

Will currently available seasonal vaccine confer protection against influenza A(H1N1)?

The best scientific evidence available today is incomplete but suggests that seasonal vaccines will confer little or no protection against influenza A(H1N1).

What is WHO doing to facilitate production of influenza A(H1N1) vaccines?

As soon as the first human cases of new influenza A(H1N1) infection became known to WHO, the WHO Collaborating Center in Atlanta (The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States of America) took immediate action and began the work to develop candidate vaccine viruses. WHO also initiated consultations with vaccine manufacturers worldwide to facilitate the availability of all necessary material to start production of influenza A(H1N1) vaccine. In parallel, WHO is working with national regulatory authorities to ensure that the new influenza A(H1N1) vaccine will meet all safety criteria and be made available as soon as possible.

Why is WHO not asking vaccine manufacturers to switch production from seasonal vaccine to a influenza A(H1N1) vaccine yet?

WHO has not recommended stopping production of seasonal influenza vaccine because this seasonal influenza causes 3 million to 5 million cases of severe illness each year, and kills from 250 000 to 500 000 people. Continued immunization against seasonal influenza is therefore important. Moreover, stopping seasonal vaccine production immediately would not allow a pandemic vaccine to be made quicker. At this time, WHO is liaising closely with vaccine manufacturers so large-scale vaccine production can start as soon as indicated.

Is it possible that manufacturers produce both seasonal and pandemic vaccines at the same time?

There are several potential options which must be considered based on all available evidence.

What is the process for developing a pandemic vaccine? Has a vaccine strain been identified, and if so by whom?

A vaccine for the Influenza A(H1N1) virus will be produced using licensed influenza vaccine processes in which the vaccine viruses are grown either in eggs or cells. Candidate vaccine strains have been identified and prepared by the WHO Collaborating Center in Atlanta (The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States of America)1. These strains have now been received by the other WHO Collaborating Centers which have also started preparation of vaccine candidate viruses. Once developed, these strains will be distributed to all interested manufacturers on request. Availability is anticipated by mid-May.

How quickly will influenza A(H1N1) vaccines be available?

The first doses of Influenza A(H1N1) vaccine could be available in five to six months from identification of the pandemic strain. The regulatory approval will be conducted in parallel with the manufacturing process. Regulatory authorities have put into place expedited processes that do not compromise on the quality and safety of the vaccine. Delays in production could result from poor growth of the virus strain used to make the vaccine.

How would manufacturers be selected?

There are currently more than a dozen vaccine manufacturers with licenses to produce influenza vaccines. Upon request, the vaccine strain will be available to each of them, as well as to other qualified vaccine manufacturers who are preparing to make influenza vaccine but do not yet have a licensed influenza vaccine.

What is the global manufacturing capacity for a potential influenza A(H1N1) pandemic vaccine? Is this the same as the global manufacturing capacity for H5N1?

The projections made for the production capacity of an vaccine for H5N1 cannot be automatically assumed to be the capacity to make an H1N1 vaccine. H5N1 and H1N1 viruses are different and the amount of antigen needed to make an effective H1N1 vaccines may be different than for H5N1. Therefore it is not possible to make a precise estimate. However, given these considerations, a conservative estimate of global capacity is at least 1 to 2 billion doses per year.

How is production capacity for influenza vaccines distributed geographically?

More that 90% of the global capacity today is located in Europe and in North America. However, during the past five years, other regions have begun to acquire the technology to produce influenza vaccines. Six manufacturers in developing countries have done so with technical and financial support from WHO.

What will be the storage requirements for influenza A(H1N1) vaccine?

The vaccine should be stored under refrigerated conditions at between 2°C and 8°C.

It has been impossible so far to develop vaccines for major killers such as HIV and malaria. How sure are we that there will not be scientific or other hurdles in developing an effective influenza A(H1N1) vaccine?

Typically, development of influenza vaccines has not posed a problem. Influenza vaccines have been used in humans for many years and are known to be immunogenic and effective. Each year seasonal influenza vaccines with varying composition are produced for the northern and southern hemisphere influenza seasons. Vaccine manufacturers will employ a number of different technologies to develop their vaccines. They will take advantage, notably, of novel approaches that were developed over the past years for H5N1 avian influenza vaccines. One key unknown is yield of vaccine virus production, since some strains grow better than others and the behavior of the new influenza A(H1N1) strain in manufacturers’ systems is not yet known. New recombinant technologies are under development, but have not yet been approved for use.

Will influenza A(H1N1) vaccines be effective in all population groups?

There are not data on this but there also is no reason to expect that they would not, given current information.

Will the influenza A(H1N1) vaccine be safe?

Licensed vaccines are held to a very high standard of safety. All possible precautions will be taken to ensure safety of new influenza A(H1N1) vaccines.

How can a repeat of the 1976 swine flu vaccine complications (Guillain-Barré syndrome) experienced in the United States of America be avoided?

Guillain-Barré syndrome is an acute disorder of the nervous system. It is observed following a variety of infections, including influenza. Studies suggest that regular seasonal influenza vaccines could be associated with an increased risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome on the order of one to two cases per million vaccinated persons. During the 1976 influenza vaccination campaign, this risk increased to around 10 cases per million vaccinated persons which led to the withdrawal of the vaccine.

Pandemic vaccines will be manufactured according to established standards. However, they are new products so there is an inherent risk that they will cause slightly differently reactions in humans. Close monitoring and investigation of all serious adverse events following administration of vaccine is essential. The systems for monitoring safety are an integral part of the strategies for the implementation of the new pandemic influenza vaccines. Quality control for the production of influenza vaccines has improved substantially since the 1970s.

Will it be possible to deliver new influenza A(H1N1) vaccine simultaneously with other vaccines?

Inactivated influenza vaccine can be given at the same time as other injectable vaccines, but the vaccines should be administered at different injection sites.

(More next page)

James48843
05-05-2009, 02:25 AM
(Continued)

If the virus causes a mild pandemic in the warmer months and changes into something much more severe in, say, 6 months, will vaccines being developed now be effective?

It is too early to be able to predict changes in the influenza A(H1N1) virus as it continues to circulate in humans or how similar a mutated virus might be to the current virus. Careful surveillance for changes in the influenza A(H1N1) virus is ongoing. This close and constant monitoring will support a quick response should important changes in the virus be detected.

Will there be enough influenza A(H1N1) vaccine for everyone?

The estimated time to make enough vaccine to vaccinate the world's population against pandemic influenza will not be known until vaccine manufacturers will have been able to determine how much active ingredient (antigen) is needed to make one dose of effective influenza A(H1N1) vaccine.

In the past two years, influenza vaccine production capacity has increased sharply due to expansion of production facilities as well as advances in research, including the discovery and use of adjuvants. Adjuvants are substances added to a vaccine to make it more effective, thus conserving the active ingredient (antigen).

What is WHO's perspective on fairness and equity for vaccine availability?

The WHO Director-General has called for international solidarity in the response to the current situation. WHO regards the goal of ensuring fair and equitable access by all countries to response measures to be among the highest priorities. WHO is working very closely with partners including the vaccine manufacturing industry on this.

Who is likely to receive priority for vaccination with a future pandemic vaccine?

This decision is made by national authorities. As guidance, WHO will be tracking the evolution of the pandemic in real-time and making its findings public. As information becomes available, it may be possible to better define high-risk groups and to target vaccination for those groups, thus ensuring that limited supplies are used to greatest effect.

Will WHO be conducting mass influenza A(H1N1) vaccination campaigns?

No. National authorities will implement vaccination campaigns according to their national pandemic preparedness plans. WHO is exploring whether the vaccine can be packaged, for example, in multi-dose vials, to facilitate the rapid and efficient vaccination of large numbers of people.

Developing countries are very experienced in administering population-wide vaccination campaigns during public health emergencies caused by infectious diseases, including diseases like epidemic meningitis and yellow fever, as well as for polio eradication and measles control programmes.

How feasible will it be to immunize large numbers of people in developing countries against a pandemic virus?

Developing countries have considerable strategic and practical experience in delivering vaccines in mass campaigns. The main issue is not feasibility, but how to ensure timely access to adequate quantities of vaccine.

What is the estimated global number of doses of seasonal vaccine used annually?

The current annual demand is for less than 500 million doses per year.

Will seasonal influenza vaccine continue to be available?

At this time there is no recommendation to stop production of seasonal influenza vaccine.
1National Institute for Biological Standards and Control (UK), Food and Drug Administration/Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (USA), New York Medical College (USA), Victorian Infectious Diseases Research Laboratory (Australia)

Silverbird
05-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Self-medication drives up flu deaths in Mexico
Tues., May 5, 2009
Washington Post
Toward the start of Mexico's swine flu outbreak on April 24, Ángel Flores Maldonado had so many patients at his office that when he finally escaped at 10:15 that night, the line still stretched into the street.

The doctor does not work at a hospital, or a clinic, or the government respiratory center, but on the evening shift at a pharmacy in the poor, crowded neighborhood of Iztapalapa, in eastern Mexico City. "The same but cheaper," reads the sign at this popular pharmacy chain, Similares, and that is the calculation many Mexicans seem to have made while the virus spread through the capital....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30571857/
["The same" as what??]

mick504
05-05-2009, 07:08 PM
If the pig flu really takes off; travel will really be cut, airlines will be in tough shape for local and international travel. Most will be afraid to get on a plane or go into a hotel. Restaurants will take some of the hit, oil prices will fall. I hope this does not happen. Only the damn drug companies that make Tamiflu, etc and the shot will prosper. Panic I hope not!:confused:

wwwtractor
05-05-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/702319

Viva_La_Migra
05-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm no doctor, but here's what I do to fight off illness:

1. Use sick leave. That's what it's there for!

2. Make a hot tea with a minimum double shot of Jack Daniels and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Now THAT's good medicine!

3. Crawl under a blanket and go to sleep.

4. Repeat if necessary.

After a double shot of Jack Daniels, or two, or three, I no longer have a headache and could care less if I've got a fever!

Side of this treatment are generally mild and may include frequent and sudden urges to urinate with temporary amnesia as to where to find the bathroom; difficulty balancing while standing or walking; slurred speach; strong desire for romance with an inability to perform; and a severe inability to keep one's personal opinions to oneself. Do not drive or operate machinery, firearms, or leave one's home while utilizing this treatment option. Check with your Doctor BEFORE starting this treatment...not AFTER! :blink:

Sure over the counter cold and flu medicines MIGHT be better at dealing with the symptoms, and Tamiflu prescriptions MIGHT work better when taken at the first sign of symptoms...but they're nowhere near as fun!:D

Bullitt
05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
wajIliPFHk4

Buster
05-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Anybody buy stocks in TAMIFLU?

James48843
05-07-2009, 11:06 PM
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/images/maps/h1n1confirmedcases_050709.jpg

As of May 7th.

Note: Numbers are about two days behind what I hear locally. We should see a big pop over the next couple days.

wwwtractor
05-07-2009, 11:42 PM
http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/ Map of Flu

James48843
05-09-2009, 02:56 PM
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/images/maps/h1n1confirmedcases_050909.jpg

2,254 as of May 9th.

James48843
05-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Anybody buy stocks in TAMIFLU?

Too late Buster. tamiflu maker hasn't really moved.

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showpost.php?p=217448&postcount=86

Silverbird
05-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Ok...keep in mind with the picture that Japanese people are incredibly paranoid about germs (cultural pundits figure this comes from so many people living so close together, and also from traditional religious practices emphasizing purification). But with all the other news we need to keep half an eye on H1N1, it's still out there and spreading. This is in addition to the recent death of a NY school principal

WHO: Swine flu epidemic in ‘grace period’

Alert level remains at 5 as top health official warns of possible mutation

.....Health experts were examining new cases in Spain, Britain and especially Japan, where more than 130 people, the vast majority of them teenagers, have been infected, prompting the government to close 2,000 schools and cancel public events. A good number of the new cases were transmitted in-country, infecting people who had not traveled overseas recently.....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30794194/

Intrepid_Timer
02-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Swine flu vaccine linked to 900 percent increased risk of developing narcolepsy

http://www.naturalnews.com/031313_swine_flu_vaccine_narcolepsy.html

Buster
02-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Maybe, maybe not..the proof is only ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssspeculation..sorry dozed off there... and it seems to maybe only have some affect on small kids..which is bad if they aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare drivng a car or operating heavy machinery.http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wcam.gif

Intrepid_Timer
02-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Why is there always someone giving a person grief for putting information out there? :rolleyes:

Buster
02-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Why is there always someone giving a person grief for putting information out there? :rolleyes:
Oh so you want the floor and no discussions? Didn't they just kick a guy out of Egypt for that sort of mentality?....Then start a blog where only your opinions are all that matters and no one can challenge your bogus agenda.:laugh::cool:

James48843
02-13-2011, 04:13 PM
UK authorities say no link between Flu vaccine and narcolepsy:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gPhKfUEjlxzphQZOydadUeNwZUOQ?docId=N04943312 96583881579A

and:

U.S. FDA says no link between flu vaccine and narcolepsy:

The FDA’s reply: “Based on our evaluation of data to date, there is nothing that suggests an association between narcolepsy and the 2009 H1N1 pandemic vaccines that were licensed and used in the U.S.”http://blogs.forbes.com/matthewherper/2011/02/04/fda-u-s-flu-shots-not-linked-to-narcolepsy/

There is always somebody stirring up stuff without data to back them up. If it's true, there will be data to support it. If not, then it shouldn't be put out without acknowledging that.

Intrepid_Timer
02-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the rebuttal. The article quotes statements from a Finnish study, not UK or US.

"The Finnish study, which was released by Finland's National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), stopped short of fully blaming the vaccines, adding a caveat about a possible "joint effect of the vaccine and some other factor(s)." But the vaccine is clearly correlated to the condition, and by all preliminary appearances, seems to be a primary causative factor."

I apologize for posting material you don't agree with. Since you are a moderator, I'll cease and desist from posting any such items again. I apologize.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031313_swine_flu_vaccine_narcolepsy.html#ixzz1Dt5r B2f2

UK authorities say no link between Flu vaccine and narcolepsy:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gPhKfUEjlxzphQZOydadUeNwZUOQ?docId=N04943312 96583881579A

and:

U.S. FDA says no link between flu vaccine and narcolepsy:
http://blogs.forbes.com/matthewherper/2011/02/04/fda-u-s-flu-shots-not-linked-to-narcolepsy/

There is always somebody stirring up stuff without data to back them up. If it's true, there will be data to support it. If not, then it shouldn't be put out without acknowledging that.

James48843
02-13-2011, 06:31 PM
I apologize for posting material you don't agree with. Since you are a moderator, I'll cease and desist from posting any such items again. I apologize.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031313_swine_flu_vaccine_narcolepsy.html#ixzz1Dt5r B2f2

The source of your story included this:

"Early in 2010, the truth came out that WHO's pandemic (http://www.naturalnews.com/pandemic.html) was nothing more than an organized farce to generate fear and reap obscene profits."Whenever I see crap like that, I question the source and the motivation. In case you hadn't noticed, the H1N1 pandemic caused 8.7 million confirmed or probable cases, and 14,346 confirmed deaths.

If you take seriously an article that says "...nothing more than an organized farce to generate fear..." then I question the value of the posting.

Your source also traces back to Breitbart- the second strike against it.

If you want TRUTH- stay away from Breitbart- a known liar.

Here is some hard data--and by-county-illness data- for you to consider:
http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/

Intrepid_Timer
02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Like I said, you are the boss.............

How many deaths does the flu cause each year?

Your quote also states "Based on our evaluation of data to date". Doesn't sound complete to me.

Rather or not I agree with posted statements is beside the point. I'm putting information out there a on a site that is supposedly free to do such. To chastise someone for doing so takes away from the site in my opinion.

The floor is yours. Enjoy...............;)

The source of your story included this:
Whenever I see crap like that, I question the source and the motivation. In case you hadn't noticed, the H1N1 pandemic caused 8.7 million confirmed or probable cases, and 14,346 confirmed deaths.

If you take seriously an article that says "...nothing more than an organized farce to generate fear..." then I question the value of the posting.

Your source also traces back to Breitbart- the second strike against it.

If you want TRUTH- stay away from Breitbart- a known liar.

Here is some hard data--and by-county-illness data- for you to consider:
http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/

PessOptimist
02-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Ya know, we all deal with the "news" we get in different ways.

There may be something to this narcolepsy thing. After all thalidomide was "perfectly safe" several years back.

Yeah, yeah, we know more, test better etc...or not.

Some of us deal with all the "we're doomed" information by sharing it and some by making light of it but I think we all appreciate it so thanks for sharing it.

Snopes-well perhaps it's losing some credibility as the ultimate source for the truth.

Try to have a sense of humor, and if ya can't take a cheeky reply to your post then don't post.

Note to self: don't let something peace you off so much you start getting personal.

Peace everyone and as Johnny 5 said, iinpuut!

Intrepid_Timer
02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
U.S. Supreme Court denies parents of vaccine damaged children their right to seek justice

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031453_Supreme_Court_vaccinations.html#ixzz1EnVZFI xq

FAB1
02-23-2011, 10:19 AM
U.S. Supreme Court denies parents of vaccine damaged children their right to seek justice

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031453_Supreme_Court_vaccinations.html#ixzz1EnVZFI xq

If theres anything I hate WORSE than the flu, its the FLU VACCINE SHOT.

supposedly dead/weakened little critters floating around in a questionably safe soup of "other ingredients". Ugh. No Thanks.

James48843
02-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Family had their day in Vaccine Court, and lost their case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_court

There is a reason there is a Vaccine Court. It's so that people get equal justice under law and treated equally- and far more people are successful in Vaccine Court than in conventional courts. Accoridng to that article- for those filing in Vaccine Court, 42% of resolved claims were awarded compensation, as compared with 23% for medical malpractice (http://www.tsptalk.com/wiki/Medical_malpractice) claims through the tort (http://www.tsptalk.com/wiki/Tort) system.