PDA

View Full Version : Using the returns spreadsheet

ehopper302
11-25-2004, 03:48 AM
I went to use the excell spreadsheet provided on this site to track my returns and I can't get it to work right. When I put in my changes for that day (ie. fund price and my percent allocation) and then closed out the sheet it asked if I wanted to save the changes I made. I clicked yes and then went back to it and none of my changes were there. Am I missing something? How do I get this to save my changes so I can track my TSP returns? Is there a way I can do this without going to the return section of this site? Basically, how do I get this to save to my desktop so I can pull it up and do it without loggin on after I get the daily changes to the funds? Thanks for any help

PS. I'm an excell spreadsheet newbie!

11-25-2004, 04:47 AM
ehopper302 wrote:
I went to use the excell spreadsheet provided on this site to track my returns and I can't get it to work right. When I put in my changes for that day (ie. fund price and my percent allocation) and then closed out the sheet it asked if I wanted to save the changes I made. I clicked yes and then went back to it and none of my changes were there. Am I missing something? How do I get this to save my changes so I can track my TSP returns? Is there a way I can do this without going to the return section of this site? Basically, how do I get this to save to my desktop so I can pull it up and do it without loggin on after I get the daily changes to the funds? Thanks for any help

PS. I'm an excell spreadsheet newbie!

When you open up the spreadsheet, go under "file" and click "save as". Then go to "desktop" and save it as whatever you want to call it. Should work then. You can't save anything to the actually spreadsheet that Tom has posted here. You may have saved it "somewhere" on your puter. You can try a search too if you want.

Good luck.

Rolo
11-25-2004, 09:29 AM
Welcome, ehopper!

Yes, your original spreadsheet is probably in your temp folder or your browser's cache. Do a search for files called "*.xls" and sort by date, you should find it and "Save As..." like Mike suggested. That way, you will not have lost any work.

ehopper302
11-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks for tips. I'll give them a try.

Tony67ss
11-27-2004, 03:49 AM
OKay, Heres one, I get the numbers to input okay, but they stop on cell 12 and I cannot figure out how to extend the worksheet (i.e move the functions down so I can keep using the spreadsheet) Do I have to cut and paste all functions and modify them for new cells? or is there a simpler way?

Thanks for help

Anthony

ehopper302
11-27-2004, 07:27 AM
I was looking at that today and wondering how I would do that also.

Show-me
11-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Some basic instructions on the TSP spreadsheet would be helpful. I've tried to figure it out several time ,got frustrated and gave up. I and several others havenever used a spreadsheet before.

Basic instructions would include.

How to input changes in allocation.
What date? The C.O.B. date or opening date?
How to drop down the spreadsheet.
Sorry I don't know the "basic's". I'm learning alot here!

Tony67ss
11-29-2004, 04:52 AM
See todays (29Nov04) Market Comments.

Thanks for the new spreadsheet and great instructions.

Anthony

ehopper302
12-02-2004, 05:02 AM
OK, once I get to line 12 it stops totaling the funds for me. How do I move down the my return vs g fund etc. block and make it keep working.

tsptalk
12-02-2004, 08:27 AM
ehopper302 wrote:
OK, once I get to line 12 it stops totaling the funds for me. How do I move down the my return vs g fund etc. block and make it keep working.
Go to http://www.tsptalk.com/utilities.htm (http://www.tsptalk.com/utilities.html)l to get the new spreadsheet. It gives you 30 lines now so you won't have to add any until... February :)

If you are still messing with the old one, I cut and paste the last line and "insert new cells". Then you have to do some editing of the formulas to match the others. It's a pain, I know.

12-02-2004, 08:40 AM
tsptalk wrote:

Go to http://www.tsptalk.com/utilities.htm (http://www.tsptalk.com/utilities.html)l to get the new spreadsheet. It gives you 30 lines now so you won't have to add any until... February :)

If you are still messing with the old one, I cut and paste the last line and "insert new cells". Then you have to do some editing of the formulas to match the others. It's a pain, I know.Thanks Tom, cya in Feb........:shock: Would be nice if I only needed like 3-4 lines for the whole year!!!!!!!! ;)