PDA

View Full Version : New to TSPTalk

ctrotman
02-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi all,
Hope everyone is doing great. This site has been a godsend for the last couple of weeks, I'm surprised that after five years of investing in the TSP I just came across TSPTalk. Just perusing this message board has made me realize so much more about TSP than I thought was possible. So a little background, I am a 26 year old E-5 active duty navy and started investing in the TSP back in 2003. I made the common mistake (I guess) of keeping the G Fund for security but since I have quite a bit of time before retirement I also put some money into the S and I Funds as well. Fast forward 5 years and my allocation is so out of whack from what I started out with that I know I need to make some changes. I am currently investing 15%,with 20% in G, 20% in S and 60% in I. Overall my allocation sits at 36% G, 11% S and 52% I. I have avoided IFT transfers like the plague (more of the buy and hold approach) either way I have to make some adjustments and wanted to get some input. Thanks in advance for the help. :D

tsptalk
02-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi ctrotman, and welcome to TSP Talk! I am always happy to see a 20-something take an interest in saving for retirement.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

Birchtree
02-12-2009, 05:23 PM
At our current bottom basing the only adjustment I'd be inclined to make would move the G fund shares and G fund payroll contributions to the C fund and simply hold the rest of your position. If we happen to go lower then your money is working harder buying more shares at lower pricing. If we move higher from here you would be catching the C fund on its' bottom. This has been a difficult time for a buy and holder but if you maintain your discipline of dollar cost averaging you will end up smelling like a rose. I'm speaking from experience having been through these cycles several times over the years.

nnuut
02-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Welcome to the message board!! Not that many Buy and Holders here, but I wish you much luck. We all can learn more, stick around we love company!
Norman:D

Thunderhorse
02-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Welcome shipmate!
Read, learn, and work on your game plan...that's what i'm up to also.

KevinD
02-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Welcome!