PDA

View Full Version : Federal Employees Time-in-grade requirements

peterson82
12-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Good morning everyone!

I just wanted to let everyone know about the elimination of the time-in-grade requirement for General Schedule employees. Previously it had been one year in order to be able to become promotion-eligible. Here is the site, and a summary:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/E8-26559.htm

SUMMARY: The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is eliminating the
time-in-grade restriction on advancement to competitive service
positions in the General Schedule. The rule eliminates the 52-week
time-in-grade requirement for promotions. Employees must continue to
meet occupational qualification standard requirements and any
additional job-related qualification requirements established for the
position.

DATES: The rule is effective March 9, 2009.

Guest2
12-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Good morning everyone!

I just wanted to let everyone know about the elimination of the time-in-grade requirement for General Schedule employees. Previously it had been one year in order to be able to become promotion-eligible. Here is the site, and a summary:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/E8-26559.htm

I saw nothing concerning GL (law enforcement) within the document. I can't
help but wonder if this takes away valuable time to gain experience in the
positions being held. Gee, this could be pretty cool. Now I don't have to
wait for my buddies to put in for positions I want them to have. Even if
they are not as qualified as they would have been before this change.:suspicious:

peterson82
12-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Squale,

I think you could be right about that, and the article addresses it by saying that the supervisors and managers won't abuse this rule change.
That is likely to be a fairytale, but it shows you how desparate the Federal Government is in keeping good workers. (instead of going private)

ChemEng
12-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I say this is a good thing. As long as there is a process in place to make sure that qualified* people make the top of job lists, then it shouldnt matter what the time in grade requirement is.

*Although how HR defines qualified is usually much different than how I would define it.

Guest2
12-02-2008, 08:20 PM
I say this is a good thing. As long as there is a process in place to make sure that qualified* people make the top of job lists, then it shouldnt matter what the time in grade requirement is.

*Although how HR defines qualified is usually much different than how I would define it.

Great Point CE, I use a much different dictionary myself.:cheesy:

Frixxxx
12-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I wish that applied to all ratings,

I am a Computer Scientist under the ND pay system (comparable to NSPS). If they did away with the TIG requirements, my boss could actually promote me to the next grade. She is always telling me that I deserve more money!!!!

:cool:

ChemEng
12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
She is always telling me that I deserve more money!!!!Rule #1 of Supervisors--Always dangle the carrot for hard work. And always point the finger in the other direction as to why nothing happens from it.

:D

Frixxxx
12-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Rule #1 of Supervisors--Always dangle the carrot for hard work. And always point the finger in the other direction as to why nothing happens from it.

:D
Rule #1 of Subordinates--Always e-mail progress of 100% of tasks to PROVE above and beyond achievement. Makes Performance reports a snap and alleviates nasty finger pointing!!!!