PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Darren
11-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Hello everybody, Just started TSP a month ago, My job match my 5% of my pay bi-weekly going into the G-fund. I want to switch to I or C, since it is low right now. What would you do if you was me. I have 20 years before I can retire.

tsptalk
11-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Welcome Darren! You are in a unique situation just starting out, not having lost any money this year. Dollar cost averaging (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_cost_averaging) into the stock funds is a good plan for you.

Guest2
11-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Welcome Aboard Darren ! As Tom so eliquently stated, DCA'ing is the way.
Should you be too busy to keep an eye on the Market, even the (L)2040
might fit in nicely with your life style. Good Luck !:)

KevinD
11-26-2008, 05:42 AM
Welcome Darren!

Diesel
11-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Darren,

Don't be shy around here. I don't have any investement experience and I'm learning everyday by just reading the post by the fellow members.

Welcome to the boards.

nnuut
11-26-2008, 06:36 AM
Welcome Darren, best of luck with your investments.
Norman:D

kar_crazy
11-26-2008, 08:32 AM
welcome to TSP TALK and good luck:D

Steadygain
11-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Hello everybody, Just started TSP a month ago, My job match my 5% of my pay bi-weekly going into the G-fund. I want to switch to I or C, since it is low right now. What would you do if you was me. I have 20 years before I can retire.

FIRST - Try to put as much as possible into the TSP.

I've got 21% of my money going in (and I doubt you make more than me). That's 16% plus the 5% match.

100% G - was an excellent place to start

I would not put 100% C or I - as you are just starting off and have nothing but gains ahead for the longer term. You are way better off NOT PUTTING ALL YOUR EGGS in one basket. Screw the F Fund cause you don't need safety and same with G Fund.

You're way better off mixing the investments with similar distributions like 35% C/30% S/35% I - that way you'll get more shares of each.

It may be a year before we really shoot up like a rocket and keep going - but you will be collecting more and more shares along the way. ONCE THE REAL BULL COMES OUT AND REALLY TAKES OFF THEN LOOK AT THE MAIN 2 FUNDS GOING THE FASTEST (WHICH IS USUALLY S AND I FUND - AND SPLIT IT UP LIKE 70/30)

You really can not go wrong as someone starting off.

GL my friend.

Steady :cool:

EW_ret
12-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Welcome to our forums. You can join our Automated Tracker once you have 10 posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules in my signature. Click Members Ranking (http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_user_balance_all.php) to see the current return rankings of our members.