PDA

View Full Version : Pirates

fabijo
11-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Looks like they are fighting pirates by playing loud MP3's! :D I wonder if the RIAA will get involved and sue the pirate fighters for pirating copyrighted music.

Pirates thwarted with MP3 sonic blast
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i2BConm9nGR-ZCQnZc05xqtq54iA

But help could be at hand in the form of a long range acoustic device (LRAD) -- hooked up to a humble MP3 player.

About the size of a domestic satellite dish, LRADs blast the target with a precise beam of sound -- warning messages, noises, sirens -- which can be turned up to excruciatingly painful levels should an attacker get too close.

tsptalk
11-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Looks like they are fighting pirates by playing loud MP3's! :D I wonder if the RIAA will get involved and sue the pirate fighters for pirating copyrighted music.

Pirates thwarted with MP3 sonic blast
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i2BConm9nGR-ZCQnZc05xqtq54iA
The ACLU is probably handing out business cards to the pirates... Give us a call if you feel you are being abused. :D

fabijo
11-21-2008, 12:15 PM
The ACLU is probably handing out business cards to the pirates... Give us a call if you feel you are being abused. :D

ROFL :laugh:

coolhand
11-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Somali Pirates in Discussions to Acquire Citigroup

By Andreas Hippin
November 20 (Bloomberg) -- The Somali pirates, renegade Somalis known for hijacking ships for ransom in the Gulf of Aden, are negotiating a purchase of Citigroup.

The pirates would buy Citigroup with new debt and their existing cash stockpiles, earned most recently from hijacking numerous ships, including most recently a $200 million Saudi Arabian oil tanker. The Somali pirates are offering up to $0.10 per share for Citigroup, pirate spokesman Sugule Ali said earlier today. The negotiations have entered the final stage, Ali said.

"You may not like our price, but we are not in the business of paying for things. Be happy we are in the mood to
offer the shareholders anything," said Ali.

The pirates will finance part of the purchase by selling new Pirate Ransom Backed Securities. The PRBS's are backed by the cash flows from future ransom payments from hijackings in the Gulf of Aden. Moody's and S&P have already issued their top investment grade ratings for the PRBS's.

Head pirate, Ubu Kalid Shandu, said: "We need a bank so that we have a place to keep all of our ransom money. Thankfully, the dislocations in the capital markets has allowed us to purchase Citigroup
at an attractive valuation and to take advantage of TARP capital to grow the business even faster."

Shandu added, "We don't call ourselves pirates. We are coastguards and this will just allow us to guard our coasts better."

*CITI IN TALKS WITH SOMALI PIRATES FOR POSSIBLE CAPITAL INFUSION

*WILL REQUIRE ALL CITI EMPLOYEES TO WEAR PATCH OVER ONE EYE

*SOMALIAN PIRATES APPLY TO BECOME BANK TO ACCESS TARP

*PAULSON: TARP PIRATE EQUITY IS AN `INVESTMENT,' WILL PAY OFF

*KASHKARI SAYS `SOMALI PIRATES ARE 'FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND' '

*Moody's upgrade Somali Pirates to AAA

*HUD SAYS SOMALI DHOW FORECLOSURE PROGRAM HAD `VERY LOW' PARTICPATION

*SOMALI PIRATES IN DISCUSSION TO ACQUIRE CITIBANK

*FED OFFICIALS: AGGRESSIVE EASING WOULD CUT SOMALI PIRATE RISK

* FED AGREED OCT. 29 TO TAKE `WHATEVER STEPS' NEEDED FOR SOMALI PIRATES

http://tinyurl.com/5sajys

Gumby
11-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I guess the oil business is not as profitable as it used to be.:D

coolhand
11-21-2008, 02:24 PM
I guess the oil business is not as profitable as it used to be.:D

I live close to the East Coast. I'm looking for some good mates to join me in a similar venture throughout the Caribbean. Ever read that book "Who moved my Cheese"? :nuts:

fabijo
11-21-2008, 02:41 PM
coolhand - I was nearly on the floor with that article. hilarious! :laugh:

ATCJeff
11-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Can you believe they have received 150 million dollars this past year in ransoms? I need I new job!:D

Bullitt
11-21-2008, 06:23 PM
You're telling me the Arab states can't hire a slew of mercenaries somehow, somewhere to go in and take this tanker? All those idiots have to guard it with are RPG's and AK-47's!

I always found it incredible that the people who have the money to buy a tanker of that magnitude can't afford to put a 3 or 4 man team on board the vessel to guard against a simple takeover. One shot from a Barret .50 Caliber would've foundered that Somali guppy.

fabijo
11-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I always found it incredible that the people who have the money to buy a tanker of that magnitude can't afford to put a 3 or 4 man team on board the vessel to guard against a simple takeover. One shot from a Barret .50 Caliber would've foundered that Somali guppy.

The people on the ships don't own them. Maybe they're in on it and getting a cut. :suspicious:

James48843
11-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Now forming- Blackwater Water Section.

http://www.yachtingbrokers.com/defence_ship.html

http://www.yachtingbrokers.com/MCDS.jpg

Vessel Specifications

Mobile coastal defence system ship for sale.

The MCDS SHIP aims to provide an infinitely flexible self-defense capability for any country which has exposed low-lying, or estuary coastline, possibly unstable relations with its neighbours, and a presently limited presence. The Arabian Gulf states and the countries of USA, West Africa, Central and South America, and Indonesia and the Pacific Rim would all benefit from the MCDS SHIP.

For the cost of one traditional type multi-role ship, the MCDS SHIP can equip a country with a whole fleet of multi-purpose base units which can when appropriately fitted out, deter even the most determined aggressor. Also, whereas a traditional type ship would be several years in the design and build stages, an MCDS unit can be supplied within the relatively short period of six months from the date of order. An MCDS unit can be supplied, appropriately converted, from a base price of $45,000,000, which compares extremely favourably with a traditional type multi-role ship at circa $575,000,000.

Crewing of a traditional type ship usually consists of in excess of 250 men, but an MCDS unit can operate on a ships crew of 10/15 men plus the necessary weapons technicians - thus creating a vast saving in manpower and running costs.

Aircraft/Helicopter Carrier
Helicopter training and dispersal
Coastal and Inshore Installation Defence
Economic Exclusion Surveillance
Illegal Immigration Surveillance
Underwater Survey and Surveillance
Multi-role ship
PARA - Military and Commercial Transportation
PARA - Military Early Warning Capability
Submarine Hunter/Killer
Anti-Drug, anti-Smuggling and anti-Pirate Protection
Anti-ship/Submarine Torpedo Launch Platform
Stealth Capability
Virtually Unsinkable Capability

Blackwater USA is now forming Blackwater Water Section, under Article 1, section 8, paragraph 11 of the U.S. Constitution. Opertions will be under the "Letters of Marque and Reprisal" clause, in anticipation of the passage of Congressman Ron Paul's new bill (http://www.house.gov/paul/press/press2001/pr101101.htm).

Experienced Navy hands, helicopter pilots, Helicopter Arms experts, flight line personnel, communications, operations personnel may apply on-line.

fabijo
01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Dead Pirate Washes Ashore With $153,000

http://www.military.com/news/article/dead-pirate-washes-ashore-with-153000.html

Five pirates drowned Friday when their small boat capsized after they received a reported $3 million ransom for releasing a Saudi oil tanker.

"The loss or potential loss of the ransom means the pirates will be all the more keen to get the next ransom in," he said. "There are people lining up to be pirates. (It's Hollywood's fault for glamorizing it.)"

But a pirate spokesman (shouldn't that be spokesperson?) assured The Associated Press on Sunday that the 20 crew members on the MV Faina were doing well.

budnipper1
01-12-2009, 09:46 PM
But a pirate spokesman (shouldn't that be spokesperson?) assured The Associated Press on Sunday that the 20 crew members on the MV Faina were doing well.

http://www.military.com/news/article/dead-pirate-washes-ashore-with-153000.html

Only if "wo'person" is more politically correct than "woman".

Gumby
01-13-2009, 08:05 AM

At least he died rich.....at least for his part of the world.:nuts:

Steadygain
01-13-2009, 12:18 PM
If the governments wanted to end the Pirate Problem all they'd have to do is hire B.C.B.S. - let them pick the supplies and guarantee immunity from lawsuits/bad press.

Frixxxx
04-01-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/04/01/navy.pirates/index.html?hpt=T1

Got some of the S.O.B.'s

:cool:

Birchtree
04-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Disposition - make'em walk the plank. They'll never be missed in this world - savages.

nnuut
04-01-2010, 11:57 AM
What the HELL were those Pirates thinking? They really must be stupid to mess with the Nicholas? 8832

Frixxxx
04-01-2010, 12:13 PM
The best part of the article is the word "Suspected" pirates.

What are they? you decide:

1. Stoopid people with guns?
2. Mentally challenged with a boat?
3. Renegade Cruise passengers from Somalia State Sponored cruise liner?
4. Fisherman protecting their turf?

Man, you fire on a U.S. Navy vessel and you have got to earn a title other than "Suspected".:mad:

Buster
04-01-2010, 01:55 PM
The best part of the article is the word "Suspected" pirates.

What are they? you decide:

1. Stoopid people with guns?
2. Mentally challenged with a boat?
3. Renegade Cruise passengers from Somalia State Sponored cruise liner?
4. Fisherman protecting their turf?

Man, you fire on a U.S. Navy vessel and you have got to earn a title other than "Suspected".:mad:

That's right about the same as "Persons of Interest":D:blink: