PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Zinfan
10-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi,

Just want to introduce myself and say thank you for all that I have already learned from this group. I am a USDA employee with 24 years and counting in federal service. I could retire in 10 years, but, with the kids going to college soon (yes, we started the kid stuff late) that may have to be extended even further. Especially, with the way the markets are behaving lately.:eek:

I am currently all in the L2020 fund. They say the L fund is designed so you don’t have to mess with it for the long term. However, I still watch it and I even fooled around with it once and went all G when we started this massive slide. Then I missed a bounce, and that was costly. So I have gone all in back with L and am riding this very wild ride of anguish. I have taken a huge hit. However, I look at it this way; maybe never again will I be able to buy shares at such a cheap price. I also think it can go back up just as quick as it went down. There doesn’t seem to be any real logic with the markets these days. Fear seems to rule.

I have two questions –

I think the L funds are OK for the long term and for those who do not want to mess with their TSP. However I am not crazy about L funds being invested in the F fund and in I as well. So should I consider moving out of L and into maybe G, C, and S and if so why?

Seeing some of the low prices for C, S, L2030, and L2040 says that I could grab more shares if I moved out of L2020. Grabbing more shares with the market in the dumps seems like the smart thing to do or is it? There is much more risk in C, S, L2030, and L2040 but, everyone is saying the market will go back up. So long term (10 years min) is that wise?

Thanks again and I look forward to learning more.

tsptalk
10-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Welcome Zinfan! I would say you need to decide if you want to use the L funds, or a combination of the 5 non-L funds. If you choose the L's, I'd say pick one and stay the course. That isn't what most of us here do, but it is a viable plan.

The F fund is a necessary for a diversified account, and to some extent, so is the I-fund. Bonds tend to do better than stocks in weak economic cycles so it helps ease some of the pain of a bear market. The I-fund will be more volatile, so it may be too risky for you, but it is a nice cushion when the dollar is dropping.

So, your first goal should be to determine if you are a buy and hold investor or a market timer, and if you want a diversified account or a more aggressive account. Then you will be able to start to make better decisions on an allocation decision.

Best of luck!

Tom

nnuut
10-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Welcome to the Message Board Zinfan.
Best of luck with your investments.
Be careful out there!
Norman:D

James48843
10-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Welcome Zinfan-

Sounds like you'll be just fine over the long run. The "F" in the L funds is there to be a counter balance for some of the wild rides of the stocks.

You COULD consider some alternatives, but the L2020 should do fine over the long run for the time frames you are looking at. Just continue to contribute as much as you can afford, and look at it this way- You've got lots of time to learn and decide what would be best in your own situation.

Best of luck.

Frixxxx
10-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Welcome ZinFan,

L funds are great for those people who set it and forget it. It mitigates your risk as you get closer to retirement.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Hopefully you'll make some new friends while you're here!

Frixxxx:cool:

Guest2
10-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Welcome Aboard ZF ! :)

Minnow
10-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Welcome ZinFan.... are those zinfandel grapes on your avatar?

Zinfan
10-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Welcome ZinFan.... are those zinfandel grapes on your avatar?

I wish they were. They are Merlot. Zinfandel does not do as well in these parts....nonetheless I am a Zin fan (Red Zin - the only kind of Zin). :nuts:

EW_ret
10-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Welcome to our forums. You can join our Automated Tracker once you have 10 posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules in my signature. Click Members Ranking (http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_user_balance_all.php) to see the current return rankings of our members.