PDA

View Full Version : The Right to Vote-Women and the Men who Love Them

alevin
10-23-2008, 08:25 AM
http://http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=6221&page=51

Topic came up over on the PG thread. I've been waiting for appropriate moment to bring up some related history that I received in an email couple weeks ago. Seems like the right moment now that the subject has come up elsewhere, think it deserves its own thread. I totally agree voters need to be informed and use their vote accordingly. Everyone has a vested interest in our nation's government, Women did not obtain the right to vote until 1920. Many died for that right-at the hands of our government. Through the 50's women were encouraged to be stay at home mothers and not work, totally rely on their husbands, who often held property in their names only. We finally started recognizing the economic contributions of stay-at-home wives to the economic welfare of their households and the country only more recently. By property owning criteria, these women still wouldn't have the vote.

WHY WOMEN SHOULD VOTE: this is
not a joke!

My grandmother, one of four sisters to graduate from college in Columbus,
OH .. in a time when it was rare for women to go to college, could not vote until she was in her 40's. She was a practicing architect, along side my grandfather. Mom said that her mom was in total support of voting and
never missed a vote until she passed away. This is very real... not
something "in the past".
Carrie (professional federal geologist)

WHY WOMEN SHOULD VOTE:

This is the story of our Grandmothers and Great-grandmothers;
they lived only 90 years ago.

Remember, it was not until 1920 that women were granted the right to go to the polls and vote.

The women were wives and mothers and unprepared for the fury
that would be unleashed on them. Initially they were jailed for picketing the White House, carrying signs asking for the vote.

By the end of the night, they were fighting for their lives.
Forty prison guards wielding clubs and with their warden's
blessing went on a rampage against the 33 women accused of
'obstructing sidewalk traffic.'

They beat Lucy Burns, chained her hands to the cell bars
above her head and left her hanging for the night, bleeding and
gasping for air.

They hurled Dora Lewis into a dark cell, smashed her
head against an iron bed and knocked her out cold. Her
cellmate, Alice Cosu, thought Lewis was dead and suffered a heart
attack. Additional affidavits describe the guards grabbing, dragging,
beating, choking, slamming, pinching, twisting and kicking
the women.

Thus unfolded the 'Night of Terror' on Nov. 15, 1917,
when the warden at the Occoquan Workhouse in Virginia ordered
his guards to 'teach a lesson' to the suffragists imprisoned
there because they dared to picket Woodrow Wilson's White House for the
right to vote.

For weeks, the women's only water came from an open pail.
Their food--all of it colorless slop--was infested with worms.

When one of the leaders, Alice Paul, embarked on a hunger
strike, they tied her to a chair, forced a tube down her
throat and poured liquid into her until she vomited. She was
tortured like this for weeks until word was smuggled out to the press.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/suffrage/nwp/prisoner (http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/suffrage/nwp/prisoner)
s.pdf <
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/suffrage/nwp/prisoner (http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/suffrage/nwp/prisoner)
s.pdf>
Some women won't vote this year because-
-why, exactly? We have carpool duties? We have to get to
work? Our vote doesn't matter? It's raining? We don't like the candidates on offer?

HBO's movie 'Iron Jawed Angels.' is a graphic depiction of the battle
these women waged so that I could pull the curtain at the polling booth and have my voice heard. I am ashamed to say I needed the reminder.

The actual act of voting had become less personal for me, more
rote. Frankly, voting often felt more like an obligation than a
privilege. Sometimes it was inconvenient.

My friend Wendy, who is my age and studied women's history,
saw the HBO movie, too. When she stopped by my desk to talk
about it, she looked angry. She was--with herself. 'One
thought kept coming back to me as I watched that movie,' she said.
'What would those women think of the way I use, or don't use,
my right to vote? All of us take it for granted now, not just
younger women, but those of us who did seek to learn.' The
right to vote, she said, had become valuable to her 'all over again.'

HBO has released the movie on video and DVD . I wish all
history, social studies and government teachers would include the
movie in their curriculum. I want it shown on Bunco night, too, and
anywhere else women gather. I realize this isn't our usual idea of
socializing, but we are not voting in the numbers that we should be, and I
think a little shock therapy is in order.

It is jarring to watch Woodrow Wilson and his cronies try to
persuade a psychiatrist to declare Alice Paul insane so that
she could be permanently institutionalized. And it is
inspiring to watch the doctor refuse. Alice Paul was strong,
he said, and brave. That didn't make her crazy.

The doctor admonished the men: 'Courage in women is often
mistaken for insanity.'

We need to get out and vote and use this right that was
fought so
hard for by these very courageous women.

Whether you vote democratic, republican or independent party
- remember to vote.

History is being made.

fabijo
10-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Forty prison guards wielding clubs and with their warden's
blessing went on a rampage against the 33 women accused of
'obstructing sidewalk traffic.'

They beat Lucy Burns, chained her hands to the cell bars
above her head and left her hanging for the night, bleeding and
gasping for air.

They hurled Dora Lewis into a dark cell, smashed her
head against an iron bed and knocked her out cold. Her
cellmate, Alice Cosu, thought Lewis was dead and suffered a heart
attack. Additional affidavits describe the guards grabbing, dragging,
beating, choking, slamming, pinching, twisting and kicking
the women.

Thus unfolded the 'Night of Terror' on Nov. 15, 1917,
when the warden at the Occoquan Workhouse in Virginia ordered
his guards to 'teach a lesson' to the suffragists imprisoned
there because they dared to picket Woodrow Wilson's White House for the
right to vote.

and people wonder why someone said, "God bless America? No, God damn America!"

XL-entLady
10-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Women did not obtain the right to vote until 1920. Many died for that right-at the hands of our government.
Some died at the hands of their families, too. Whenever I think I might be too disgusted or too lazy to vote, I remember the story my grandmother told to impress upon me why I should never take my right to vote for granted. A friend of my grandmother's youth tried to exercise her right to vote and her family locked her in her room without food until she came to her senses. She never left the room alive.

This was less than a century ago. People "knew" that if women thought they had a right to a voice in politics then they must LITERALLY be out of their minds. And some people would rather send their daughters to heaven than to a voting booth.

That's the real reason I make sure that, no matter what, I vote each election. I am honoring the sacrifice of my grandmother's friend.

Lady

Steadygain
10-23-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm with SugarandSpice.

I think we would need a "New Earth" for women to be recognized and valued for all they are worth; (which is the underlying theme of my story for Carrie).

malyla
10-23-2008, 10:41 AM
That's the real reason I make sure that, no matter what, I vote each election. I am honoring the sacrifice of my grandmother's friend.
Lady

I love and honor my mother and the line of maternal heritage that has made me who I am in this country in this time in history. I also love and acknowledge the positive traits from my father and the paternal heritage I have received. I have always voted in every election except the most local for one reason only. I was taught by both my parents that it was my duty as a citizen of this country to participate in the process since that is the only peaceful way I can influence change. I have always thought that my vote counts even if the system is stacked against the outcome (2000 electoral college results/supreme court decision). My participation in the process allows for the possible peaceful change (and improvement) of the system. This is why I vote. Its my non-violent expression of my duty as a citizen.

I do not advocate the extreme of Robert A. Heinlein's citizenship qualifications from his book Starship Troopers, but I do think that before voting age, everyone should have a citizenship test and automatic registration upon the postive completion of the test (like the DMV driving test at 16 years of age). Schools have been spotty at best in the US history and Civics courses which has left a large and growing number of 'citizens' mentally disenfranchised with the system. This grand experiment of human govenance will only succeed and continue due to the participation of the majority of the citizentry. More education needs to be done on the benefits of citizenship in the USA as opposed to other systems and on how peaceful change is initiated in this system.

So express your citizenship and vote for peaceful change or join the mob for violent change. I will be on the lookout with my shootgun and dog for those who pick the later.:toung: (A Girl and Her Dog - lets see how that movie ends!:sick:)

Steadygain
10-23-2008, 10:50 AM
I love and honor my mother and the line of maternal heritage that has made me who I am in this country in this time in history. I also love and acknowledge the positive traits from my father and the paternal heritage I have received. I have always voted in every election except the most local for one reason only. I was taught by both my parents that it was my duty as a citizen of this country to participate in the process since that is the only peaceful way I can influence change. I have always thought that my vote counts even if the system is stacked against the outcome (2000 electoral college results/supreme court decision). My participation in the process allows for the possible peaceful change (and improvement) of the system. This is why I vote. Its my non-violent expression of my duty as a citizen.

I do not advocate the extreme of Robert A. Heinlein's citizenship qualifications from his book Starship Troopers, but I do think that before voting age, everyone should have a citizenship test and automatic registration upon the postive completion of the test (like the DMV driving test at 16 years of age). Schools have been spotty at best in the US history and Civics courses which has left a large and growing number of 'citizens' mentally disenfranchised with the system. This grand experiment of human govenance will only succeed and continue due to the participation of the majority of the citizentry. More education needs to be done on the benefits of citizenship in the USA as opposed to other systems and on how peaceful change is initiated in this system.

So express your citizenship and vote for peaceful change or join the mob for violent change. I will be on the lookout with my shootgun and dog for those who pick the later.:toung: (A Girl and Her Dog - lets see how that movie ends!:sick:)

There are many wonderful people on this MB and many express themselves with amazing beauty and style; and I don't mean to take from any of them.....

BUT... This is the most beautiful read I've had the privilege to come upon.

This really speaks wonderfully for you...Thank you.

mamikin
10-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Thank you, Alevin, for posting this thread. I had previously received the "Why Women Should Vote" message and been really touched by it - forwarded on to several of my female friends, but didn't think to post it here! It's really powerful to realize that 80 years ago women in this country did not have the right to vote. Today, even third world countries have had women presidents, but we haven't.

Steadygain
10-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Today, even third world countries have had women presidents, but we haven't.

Hi Mamikin,
We are getting closer and closer. Women have largely been overlooked and neglected for ages. Even during my childhood their roles were markedly limited to "a man's world" - but during my life they have increasingly advanced and more than proven themselves. In general men are slower to catch on (but we're getting there) and we're coming to realize that relationships are more important than Power and Wealth. In that sense women have a huge advantage.

JOVARN
10-23-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm with SugarandSpice.

I think we would need a "New Earth" for women to be recognized and valued for all they are worth; (which is the underlying theme of my story for Carrie).
From earlier post.
"We need to get out and vote and use this right that was
fought so hard for by these very courageous women.
- remember to vote. "

In modern times, Nurses, Teachers and Secretary’s have always had the ability to swing any election they wanted. The problem is; they spend so much time beating each other up; they failed to organize themselves into a voting block.
Male dominated Government leaders have successfully kept the women’s movement in check by dividing women up. In recent times, the single big issue was (abortion) while you were all beating yourselves up over that one issue, life passed you by. (no pun intended)
During the industrial revolution when your services were needed for the war effort your skills were invaluable. Then what! I want to work no I want to stay home. BLA BLA BLA

When women in strictly female dominated fields were encouraged to join a labor movement, again you were split which lead to a failure to Organize.
Women never quite understood the principle of Unity and strength.

Many years ago I took a course called sexism and Humanities. The lecture material started with the fictional character of Adam and Eve, through hunters and gatherers and so on. That was one of the most enlightening courses I ever took in college. The women in the class sat there with the mouths open (eating Bon Bons) (only kidding) in amazement as they discovered how role development ( I wash the floor, while you watch football) in American society developed.

The mantra of play fair, be nice and don’t rock the boat lead women to where they are today. Some continue to say: “I don’t care who you vote for; just vote!” That will just continue to keep the women’s movement down. Just voting for any candidate will not serve to advance women; that is well documented.
I am convinced, Women make better leaders then men, I am convinced of that after working with them for the past 21 years. Men are driven mostly be their penis and their past experiences in high school and middle school. That’s the reason for so many wars. (Wanted dead or Alive) (I’M a Maverick you betcha Wink Wink, me too).Sound familiar!! Take away the guns and women can meet with any world leader. Hopefully that world leader will blow his brains out after 2 hours. But who cares a win is a win.

Starting planning for 2012 . Get some issues on the table that are common for all women (not ABORTION take that off the table) Think globally, remember McPalin want to open up world markets so they can contract out your jobs (side bar comment)

What destroyed the male dominated labor movement in this country was #1 Regan #2 Union workers carrying too much debt,#3 the republicans pitted white collar workers against blue collar workers now wht collar workers are being laid off (what goes around comes around) #4 Unions failure to adapt to a changing society.

Back to women

Its time that a resurgence of the women’s movement start again. Don’t re-invent the wheel. Organize, Organize, Organize,

Steadygain
10-23-2008, 01:35 PM
In modern times, Nurses, Teachers and Secretary’s have always had the ability to swing any election they wanted. The problem is; they spend so much time beating each other up; they failed to organize themselves into a voting block.
I'm not sure how to respond to this. A woman is a distinct individual with her own unique characteristics and beliefs.... just like men. They are just as divided on who should be the next president as the rest of us and what issue is most important to one differs from another.

Male dominated Government leaders have successfully kept the women’s movement in check by dividing women up. They have also been kept in check by working for lower pay and doing every bit the work of their counter part males. They have mostly been kept in check for having to assume the jobs of being a fulltime Mother (with all the parental responsibilites) and a fulltime homemaker. In recent times, the single big issue was (abortion) while you were all beating yourselves up over that one issue, life passed you by. (no pun intended)
Life passes them by MAINLY because they are hugely taken for granted; and very few acknowledge the priceless qualities they possess.
During the industrial revolution when your services were needed for the war effort your skills were invaluable. Then what! I want to work no I want to stay home. BLA BLA BLA A woman does a hundred times more than what a man does by being a fulltime mother and homemaker.

When women in strictly female dominated fields were encouraged to join a labor movement, again you were split which lead to a failure to Organize.
In the Medical Field they are very strongly organized.

Many years ago I took a course called sexism and Humanities. The lecture material started with the fictional character of Adam and Eve, through hunters and gatherers and so on. That was one of the most enlightening courses I ever took in college. The women in the class sat there with the mouths open (eating Bon Bons) (only kidding) in amazement as they discovered how role development ( I wash the floor, while you watch football) in American society developed.

The mantra of play fair, be nice and don’t rock the boat lead women to where they are today. Throughout history women have largely been discounted and it is mainly this repeated mindset generation after generation that has prevented them from having any opportunity to reveal their true value. Some continue to say: “I don’t care who you vote for; just vote!” That will just continue to keep the women’s movement down. Just voting for any candidate will not serve to advance women; that is well documented. Hum was just about to say something BUT fortunately read the next part.

I am convinced, Women make better leaders then men, I am convinced of that after working with them for the past 21 years. Men are driven mostly be their penis and their past experiences in high school and middle school. Thanks :) you had me going for a while.
That’s the reason for so many wars. (Wanted dead or Alive) (I’M a Maverick you betcha Wink Wink, me too).Sound familiar!! Take away the guns and women can meet with any world leader. Hopefully that world leader will blow his brains out after 2 hours. But who cares a win is a win.

Starting planning for 2012 . Get some issues on the table that are common for all women (not ABORTION take that off the table) Think globally, remember McPalin want to open up world markets so they can contract out your jobs (side bar comment)

What destroyed the male dominated labor movement in this country was #1 Regan #2 Union workers carrying too much debt,#3 the republicans pitted white collar workers against blue collar workers now wht collar workers are being laid off (what goes around comes around) #4 Unions failure to adapt to a changing society.

Back to women

Its time that a resurgence of the women’s movement start again. Don’t re-invent the wheel. Organize, Organize, Organize,

Well - that was quite a bit to throw out - but hey that's cool :cool:

Don't be surprized if one or two women find your comments a little demeaning. Personally I have found over the past 21 years that women are the last ones you want to get in an argument with.

malyla
10-23-2008, 01:43 PM

This radio broadcast that I happen to catch while driving around Atlanta in 2004 put the abortion issue to rest for me. It was logical and moral. I do not want to start an idealogical argument here. Just wanted to share the source of my closure on this issue - reproduction rights. For me this is no longer an issue and may explain why it hasn't been that big an issue this election. I really liked the perpective of why a man cares about reproductive rights enouph to want to control women to the extent that they can (paternaty uncertainty - catchy). It was a light bulb moment.

http://forum.wgbh.org/wgbh/forum.php?lecture_id=1430

More info on who is Alexander Sanger can be found here http://www.alexandersanger.com/bio.html

The link to the radio forum from his blog is here http://www.alexandersanger.com/blog_archive/2004_10_01_index.html

JOVARN
10-23-2008, 02:30 PM
My intent was not to offend anyone. I apologize in advance if I did .
Steady Gain I sincerely agree with you comments.
To be honest I wasn't really thrilled with Hillary Clinton, but I just can’t quite put my finger on why. I think if she divorced Bill I may have had more respect for her. Should that matter?
If Palin wasn't so ill prepared for the Job I would have voted for her but she is way to far out there for me.
I think the real Palin is the one who did the Catie Curric interview. Plus she has failed to grow in her role over the past weeks which leads me to believe she is not a quick study.

I look forward to reading Malylas' references

Steadygain
10-23-2008, 03:06 PM
My intent was not to offend anyone. I apologize in advance if I did .
Steady Gain I sincerely agree with you comments.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I have the highest respect for Birch - because he's a lot like you. He will definately call the kettle black...and make his opinions known. I thought you did a great job (and from a male wired brain) I think I know exactly where you're coming from.

To be honest I wasn't really thrilled with Hillary Clinton, but I just can’t quite put my finger on why. I know exactly what you mean. For me she was too much of a politician - and I saw how she changed her accents and expressions from state to state... and was more put off than impressed (but that's me).I think if she divorced Bill I may have had more respect for her. Should that matter?
It should matter - based on your views. Let's say that her endeavor was to be President all along (which is a guarantee) and she was willing to sacrifice her political career to end Bill's continous affairs. Let's also say that she publicly admonished Bill for refusing to admit he had 'sex' because it did not meet his defination.... I think you see where I'm going. I could say you have never had sex unless you were more than 50 feet under the water wiggling your toes when you climax. Then I could testify "under oath" that I never had sex.
So depending on how she honestly presented herself in enacting a divorce and how she maintained herself throughout would make a big difference.

If on the other hand Bill was a huge loser and she did it just to look stronger....who knows how we'd view her.

If Palin wasn't so ill prepared for the Job I would have voted for her but she is way to far out there for me.

I am totally with ya there bro - man I had my hopes on her because she did seem so different from Hillary...

I think the real Palin is the one who did the Catie Curric interview. Plus she has failed to grow in her role over the past weeks which leads me to believe she is not a quick study. It's hard to say. I think the Political Race is pretty much a hugely chaotic and mostly BS situation - and she simply was not prepared to keep a calm demeanor and paint the picture she needed to. The more she attacked Obama for being a Terrorist....and all the other garbage the worse it got.

I look forward to reading Malylas' references

Yeal, she's pretty cool. I think it's wonderful that she's willing to be as open about her views as she is.

Well I've got to head over to the hospital.
Later dude :cool::cool:

CountryBoy
10-23-2008, 03:19 PM
From earlier post.
"We need to get out and vote and use this right that was
fought so hard for by these very courageous women.
- remember to vote. "

Male dominated Government leaders have successfully kept the women’s movement in check by dividing women up. In recent times, the single big issue was (abortion) while you were all beating yourselves up over that one issue, life passed you by. (no pun intended)
During the industrial revolution when your services were needed for the war effort your skills were invaluable. Then what! I want to work no I want to stay home. BLA BLA BLA

The mantra of play fair, be nice and don’t rock the boat lead women to where they are today. Some continue to say: “I don’t care who you vote for; just vote!” That will just continue to keep the women’s movement down. Just voting for any candidate will not serve to advance women; that is well documented.
I am convinced, Women make better leaders then men, I am convinced of that after working with them for the past 21 years. Men are driven mostly be their penis and their past experiences in high school and middle school. That’s the reason for so many wars. (Wanted dead or Alive) (I’M a Maverick you betcha Wink Wink, me too).Sound familiar!! Take away the guns and women can meet with any world leader. Hopefully that world leader will blow his brains out after 2 hours. But who cares a win is a win.

Back to women

Jovarn,

That’s a lot to digest in one sitting, but one thing that jumps out at me is your desire to have women form a voting block. We have way too many voting blocks now and that’s whats tearing this country apart. We need to work together for the good of the country, remember what JFK said. But, I had to get a different POV on this post because it read like something from some NOW’s 1970’s literature, at least to me. I sure wouldn’t want to tell a room full of women that they must vote the same because of their plumbing.

I just had to show this post to both my wife (BS in Biology) and daughter (almost BS in Nursing) and they were horrified that someone would think that just because they are female that they should all vote and think alike. Trust me, if I even had beliefs like this I would be outside with the dogs. They actually want to know what male did you wrong or did you just come to man hating naturally? Or maybe Metro Sexual, that from my daughter.

They were insulted by several comments especially voting with a woman’s voting block, just because they are women, that’s very bigoted. They just roared laughing at you “male dominated labor movement” comment, so old fashion. The 2 ladies in my life are my equals and I treat them that way and are very strong willed and opinionated and I would match them up with anyone, especially my daughter. But they were insulted that you blame everyone for the woman’s problem, but the woman herself. There are 2 sides to every story. Sure they recognize the glass ceiling, and what women in the past have gone thru, but Condi Rice broke thru it and Maggie Thatcher, remember the Falklands, and Golda Mier, ( sidebar: I think she kicked the crap outta several Arab states lead by Egypt and Syria in about 2 weeks or so and it took the UN to pull the Arabs chestnuts from the fire). These 2 ladies were 2 of the strongest leaders in history and had no compunction in fighting for what they believe in whether it was property or to protect their citizens. And my wife and daughter both feel that Palin is more qualified for VP than Obama is for Prez. So some folks are actually worried more about the Prez and what he stands for than the VP. But some folks have to hate on someone and Bush is about gone. :D

That’s as far they wanted to comment. And as for me I’m was just flabbergasted. Oh yeah, one more thing, in my neighborhood it was Kroger, Food Fair and Big Bear that put the Mom and Pops out of business and now they are the ones that are fighting the Wal-Marts are doing a pretty good job at. And every community in my area about 12 in the so called metro area have at least one local hardware store. Mine have 2 local hardware store and I’ve used the both quite frequently, because they know how to fix things and what you’ll need to do the job. So you covered a lot of ground with one big brush.

I wasn’t insulted at all, but the were, I was just incredulous at the line of thought. If men did that we’d be called knuckle draggers or worse.:laugh:

CB

fabijo
10-23-2008, 03:23 PM
They actually want to know what male did you wrong or did you just come to man hating naturally? Or maybe Metro Sexual, that from my daughter.

:laugh: :D

Steadygain
10-23-2008, 04:26 PM
The 2 ladies in my life are my equals and I treat them that way and are very strong willed and opinionated and I would match them up with anyone, especially my daughter.
CB

CB,
That says more than all the rest and you know it's true. It's not some biased crap trying to make your wife and daughter sound good BUT it is a humble expression of genuine truth.

My wife use to let others kind of walk on her way back when I was first dating her - but that was way back in what I may now refer to as the "good ole days" - but she needs no one to come to her rescue and hasn't for ages.

Sarah, was born in WV, so maybe that's what gave her such strong determination and amazingly huge independent features.

Emily and Carrie - pretty much the same.

Ella, my dog is the one that shocked me the most. I honestly didn't know that a female dog could be wired so much like a woman and that's made me love her a thousand times over. It's just unbelievable how she feminine she is - and it makes her so incredibly beautiful.

alevin
10-23-2008, 11:42 PM
:( WOW, some stuff came out of the woodwork today that I sure didn't expect. I never intended for this to turn into a NOW thread rallycrying for feminist activism.

It was meant to purely be about the vote and how blind and/or vicious the powers that be have been in our history in their resistance to granting anyone not like them (read representing different economic or social strata), the same right to vote and to decide who represents their interests as citizens. And how hard its been for many to even gain citizenship thereby earning the right to vote. Including women who didn't work outside the home or own property in their own names, etc.

My (perhaps too-subtle), point in starting this thread with the history of women winning the vote was that throughout our history the voter eligibility criteria have always been designed with an assumption of superiority by the people with the economic and social power. People with less economic and social power, but just as concerned about the course of the country, have been denied the vote for a variety of reasons based in prejudice and arrogance. Many times in many ways and the reasons have never been all that legitimate. As we've recognized slowly but steadily and rectified slowly and reluctantly all too often.

The original requirements assumed that nobody who didn't meet the eligibility criteria of the time were unimportant nobodies whose opinions didn't count. Here's a list of those unimportant nobodies and the ways our society has found to split the nation into "us" (worthy, deserving) and "them (unworthy, undeserving) since the founding of the Republic.

American Voting Rights Timeline

Quote:

1776 White men with property can vote. Free black men can vote in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut.

1789 Establishment of the American democracy. White
men with property can vote. Poor people cannot vote. Women, Native Americans, and enslaved African-Americans cannot vote.

1790 Between 1770 and 1790, each state handles its own naturalization laws. In 1790 the US passes its first law that grants citizenship to white men and some women. The right to vote is only for whites who have lived in the country for two years. In 1798 the law is changed so that white immigrants must live in the US for 14 years before they can become citizens. This changed to 5 years in 1902.

1820 The property laws are taken off the books and whites can vote even if they do not own property. But they must pay a poll tax or be able to read and, in some places, they must pass religious tests to vote.

1840 Poll taxes, literacy taxes, and religion tests are taken off the books. Only white men can vote.

1848 The Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo ends the Mexican-American War. The treaty guarantees citizenship to Mexicans living in the newly acquired territories of Arizona, California, New Mexico, Texas, and Nevada. Voting rights are denied -- Mexican-Americans are not allowed to vote despite having US citizenship. Property laws, language and literacy requirements keep people from voting. "Night Riders" use intimidation and violence.

1860 Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts allow free black men to vote.

1866 The Civil War ends in 1865. The Civil Rights Act of 1866 grants citizenship to native-born Americans but excludes Native Americans.

1870 The 15th Amendment establishes the right of African-American men to vote. In the South especially, poll taxes, reading requirements, physical violence, property destruction, hiding the polls, and economic pressures keep most African-Americans from voting (until almost 100 years later and people had to die even so.)

1882 The Chinese Exclusion Act bars people of Chinese ancestry from becoming citizens. They cannot vote. Keep them from getting citizenship, that way you never have to give them the vote.

1887 The Dawes Act gives citizenship only to Native Americans who give up their tribal affiliations.

1890 The Indian Naturalization Act grants citizenship to Native Americans in an application process similar to immigrant naturalization.

1901 Congress grants citizenship to Native Americans living in the Indian Territory (Oklahoma).

1920 White and African-American women gain the right to vote. (Prior to 1920, some parts of the country let some women vote (Wyoming-red state was the first state to give women the vote. I dated a man from a Wyoming pioneer family many many years ago. His greatgrandmother was the first woman mayor in the state. but she had no right to vote under national law). For what or for whom they could vote depended on where they were. Some could vote only in school elections.)

1921 The Sons of America organize to fight for equality and the rights of Mexican-American citizens, including the right to vote. It will be 1975 before the right to vote is available to all Mexican-Americans.

1922 In the case of Takao v. United States the US Supreme Court upholds the 1790 Naturalization Act that barred Asian-Americans from becoming citizens. This enforces the policy of no voting rights for Asian immigrants. Keep them from getting citizenship, then you don't have to give them the vote.

1923 The court ruling in the case Bhagat Sing Thind v. The US rules that Asian Indians are eligible for citizenship. Technically it means that they can vote because they are now citizens. However, almost all immigrants who are people of color continue to be denied the right to vote.

1924 The service of Native Americans during World War I helps bring about the 1924 Indian Citizenship Act. The Act grants Native Americans citizenship, but many western states refuse to allow them to vote. How about that? Asian Indians got the right to vote before Native Americans did.

1943 Chinese Exclusion Act is repealed, making immigrants of Chinese ancestry eligible for citizenship.

1946 Filipinos are now allowed to become citizens.

1952 The McCarran-Walter Act repeals the racial restrictions of the 1790 Naturalization Law. First-generation Japanese can now become citizens.

1965 In direct response to the Civil Rights movement, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 is enacted. It bans literacy tests and provides federal enforcement of black voter registration and voting rights.

1970 The 1970 Voting Rights Act bans literacy tests in 20 states including New York, Illinois, California, and Texas.

1971 The 26th Amendment gives full voting rights to 18-year-olds. This is a response to demonstrations demanding the vote for men under the age of 21 who were being drafted and sent to Vietnam. (Me-I became a wage-earner at the age of 18, 4 years after 18year olds gained the vote, and voted in my first election in 1976).

1975 The Voting Rights Act is amended to include language assistance to minority voters. Language requirements have been used routinely to keep the vote from US-born citizens who speak other languages. It is now that the Voting Rights Act has some real impact and enforcement in the Southwest.
1990 The Americans with Disabilities Act requires access to the polls and to the ballot.

James48843
10-24-2008, 12:52 AM
.... Don’t re-invent the wheel.

Organize, Organize, Organize,

Amen.

Music to my ears.

(Oh- sorry. Can I say that? Or is it Ahwomen?? :embarrest: )

CountryBoy
10-24-2008, 06:11 AM
CB,
That says more than all the rest and you know it's true. It's not some biased crap trying to make your wife and daughter sound good BUT it is a humble expression of genuine truth.

My wife use to let others kind of walk on her way back when I was first dating her - but that was way back in what I may now refer to as the "good ole days" - but she needs no one to come to her rescue and hasn't for ages.

Sarah, was born in WV, so maybe that's what gave her such strong determination and amazingly huge independent features.

Emily and Carrie - pretty much the same.

Ella, my dog is the one that shocked me the most. I honestly didn't know that a female dog could be wired so much like a woman and that's made me love her a thousand times over. It's just unbelievable how she feminine she is - and it makes her so incredibly beautiful.

Hey Steady,

Those WV gals are made of tough stuff and if we men think we wear the pants in the family, it's because they allow us to think that. :laugh:

I got one male and 2 female dogs and like you said they are wired so differently. The male dog is just a big goof ball, that the females have to put him in his place sometimes and I know exactly how he feels when they do that. :D

Have a great weekend Bud,
CB