PDA

View Full Version : Better late than never.

Lostdawg
10-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Just retired from active duty and found employment on the federal side. Funny thing is, every morning when the alarm goes off and it's still dark outside... I don't know, doesn't feel like retirement to me:) But at least I sleep in my home every night now.
So long story short, never put into TSP while on active duty. No great reason, just busy raising a family and money always had other places to go besides TSP. But with this new job I've started from day one with 5%. Spouse can't get used to having it now.
Hope to learn more as I get into this. I've already posted a Q in the question section, if there are any takers.
Thanks to who ever is running this board. I've been reading for a few weeks now after work, a bit overwhelmed with the info. I do realize I'm starting at an opportune time in the market, that is a nice change for me.

Thanks all,
Lostdawg

James48843
10-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Welcome Aboard Lostdawg!

yes, you'll find lots of good information here. Hope you find all you need, and then some.

Here is a good place for newbies to start reading- don't miss this thread:

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3629

Thanks for your service, Welcome, and best of luck in the future!

Guest2
10-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Just retired from active duty and found employment on the federal side. Funny thing is, every morning when the alarm goes off and it's still dark outside... I don't know, doesn't feel like retirement to me:) But at least I sleep in my home every night now.
So long story short, never put into TSP while on active duty. No great reason, just busy raising a family and money always had other places to go besides TSP. But with this new job I've started from day one with 5%. Spouse can't get used to having it now.
Hope to learn more as I get into this. I've already posted a Q in the question section, if there are any takers.
Thanks to who ever is running this board. I've been reading for a few weeks now after work, a bit overwhelmed with the info. I do realize I'm starting at an opportune time in the market, that is a nice change for me.

Thanks all,
Lostdawg

LD, Thanks you for your service to our country and for my family. Welcome
to the Message Board and to TSPtalk.com. May it bring you answers and
help achieve your TSP Goals. I'll try to check out your posted question as
time allows. ;)

Lostdawg
10-22-2008, 10:01 PM
I guess the proper thing is to say your welcome for letting me serve, but that just never seemed right to me. Actually I almost never knew what to say when someone said "thanks for serving". But at long last I get to offer that perplexing thanks to the men and women I used to work side by side with.
They do put the proverbial "money where their mouth is. And that is something we can all be proud of. This latest generation may have grown up with game controllers in their hands, but when reality barks, they answer loud and strong.
I, like most, consider it an honor to serve. While the mind is still willing, the body said it's time to sit this one out.

Guest2
10-22-2008, 11:16 PM
I guess the proper thing is to say your welcome for letting me serve, but that just never seemed right to me. Actually I almost never knew what to say when someone said "thanks for serving". But at long last I get to offer that perplexing thanks to the men and women I used to work side by side with.
They do put the proverbial "money where their mouth is. And that is something we can all be proud of. This latest generation may have grown up with game controllers in their hands, but when reality barks, they answer loud and strong.
I, like most, consider it an honor to serve. While the mind is still willing, the body said it's time to sit this one out.

All to often, those who walk the walk are taken for granted. A simple
thank you never comes to mind. I for one appreciate (and many other
TSPtalk members) know of the sacrifice. Even if its not in Iraq or in
Afganistan, a price is paid by those like you, for the benefit of us all.;)
For that, I wanted to say thanks. It maybe time to listen to your body,
but your soul will always be besides those who served with you. So
pick up one of those controllers and kick some animated butt ! :toung:

mick504
10-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Welcome to the Fed side. I retired in Jan 2006 but contributed to the TSP most of my 30 years there. However just recently joined the board....didn't know about it before. I do appreciate all the info....some from very sharp people. Also other subjects for Feds are also discussed. Read alot, think; but make own decision! Take Care!

tsptalk
10-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Welcome Lostdawg!

Caldonia
10-25-2008, 02:21 AM

Thanks all,
Lostdawg

Welcome, Lostdawg. I'm new here too and wanting to learn more as I didn't follow my retirement investments that closely over the years, with about 15 years left to retire. It's a brand new day of low stock market fund prices for those starting out in tsp or starting over. :D I'm still stumbling along with my IFT timing and contribution arrangement but I've already learned alot by reading the threads here and will check out the Question section for answers.

I echo squalebear to say that myself and my family appreciates your service. I'm happy you are retired safely at home with your family. I have many close family members (husband, brother, dad, grandfather, nephew) who are recent and previous war veterans and I know it is a sacrifice to serve during wartime and during peacetime. So thanks for doing it.

Well, I guess I posted my "hello" here on Lostdawg's thread. :)
Good luck to everybody on the stock market!

Guest2
10-25-2008, 08:35 AM
I echo squalebear to say that myself and my family appreciates your service. I'm happy you are retired safely at home with your family. I have many close family members (husband, brother, dad, grandfather, nephew) who are recent and previous war veterans and I know it is a sacrifice to serve during wartime and during peacetime. So thanks for doing it. Well, I guess I posted my "hello" here on Lostdawg's thread. :) Good luck to everybody on the stock market!

Caldonia, Your family just got bigger, Welcome to the
madness and Thank You for the honorable mention ! ;)

I do appreciate all the info....some from very sharp people. Also other subjects for Feds are also discussed. Read alot, think; but make own decision! Take Care!

Sound advice Mick. Ultimately, an informed decision must have ownership.
Who better to blame but ourselves when making a bad decision. We all
care enough to give our opinions and try to help one another. But when
its time to pop that cork on the champagne bottle, most of us love to
share in the notion that we made a positive difference in someones life.
Being more right then wrong is easier said then done. But I've found over
time, the membership here are essential to that goal. Systems come and
go, but Family is forever ! Again, welcome to the family ! ;)

EW_ret
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Welcome to our forums. You can join our Automated Tracker once you have 10 posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules in my signature. Click Members Ranking (http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_user_balance_all.php) to see the current return rankings of our members.

Frixxxx
10-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Thanks all,
Lostdawg
Welcome LD,

It's only retirement if you don't work...Just think of it as a bonus check once a month for getting out of bed. From a vet to a vet....thanks for your service and if you can afford it, max out that TSP so that you can get the biggest bang for your buck!:cool: