PDA

View Full Version : Bush: Turn clock back to Pre-1883

James48843
10-11-2008, 04:56 PM
I thought this Administration was trying to turn the clock on Federal Employment back to 1930's- with all the anti-Union things they have done.

I was wrong.

They are trying to turn the clock back to before 1883- when Congress created the Pendleton Act.

Read this story- from Govexec.com, about the current Bush Administration's filing in a case of a disabled veteran trying to get a job. The Administration says the competitive service ISN'T the Competitive Service, unless the President wants it that way.

And OPM cites Presidents Ullyses S. Grant, and William McKinley in it's legal brief for why this disabled veteran should not get preference in hiring.

Incredible. Just incredible.

Federal jobs not automatically competitive, administration argues

By Alyssa Rosenberg arosenberg@govexec.com (arosenberg@govexec.com)
October 10, 2008
The Bush administration is claiming before a federal court that civil service jobs are not automatically competitive unless the president designates them as such, casting aside a widely held view of the government's hiring process.

"Congress established the rules applicable to the competitive service, but did not identify those positions to be placed into the competitive service," wrote Assistant Attorney General Gregory Kastas in the Justice Department's filing (http://www.govexec.com/pdfs/101008ar1d.pdf) for Gingery v. Department of Defense, a case pending before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington.

"Rather, it identified a pool of positions from which the president was authorized to select those positions he wished to include in the competitive service. Thus, positions in the identified pool remained outside the competitive service absent presidential action bringing them in."

Stephen Gingery, a disabled veteran, sued Defense in January 2008 after the Merit Systems Protection Board ruled that the department had not acted unlawfully when it hired candidates for two auditor positions under the Federal Career Intern Program, rather than holding an open competition with an exam to fill the vacancies. Federal career interns are hired for two-year stints; after that, they can convert noncompetitively into civil servants.

The court held oral arguments Oct. 10 on the case.

"The government's view of the statute would turn the rule favoring the competitive service on its head," Greg O'Duden, general counsel for the National Treasury Employees Union, told Government Executive. "That view is a perversion of the statute. Moreover, the government's suggestion that presidents have historically exercised unlimited authority to except positions from the competitive service is based on mischaracterization of the relevant history."

Congress first attempted to regulate the civil service in 1871, when it gave President Grant the authority to set standards for civil service hiring, but reform efforts languished for more than a decade. The 1883 Pendleton Act established the basis of the merit system that exists today. The law banned the spoils system and established a three-person commission, with appointments subject to Senate confirmation, to oversee the civil service.

The Bush administration has claimed that the broad presidential powers to determine which jobs are subject to competitive hiring were embedded in the 1871 legislation and have not been diminished in any subsequent law.

Gingery's court case is the second to challenge the Federal Career Intern Program. NTEU, which filed an amicus brief (http://www.govexec.com/pdfs/101008ar1b.pdf) in Gingery v. Department of Defense, has sued the Office of Personnel Management separately (NTEU v. Springer) in an effort to strike down FCIP. The union has argued that the growth of FCIP is contrary to President Clinton's intentions when he issued an executive order (13162 (http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2000_register&docid=fr12jy00-126.pdf)) creating the program.

The order directed OPM to design "merit-based procedures for the recruitment, screening, placement and continuing career development of career interns," with the goal of recruiting excellent candidates to the civil service. NTEU and Gingery's lawyer, Andrew Dhuey, argue that FCIP is intended for use only when noncompetitive appointments are "necessary" for "conditions of good administration," not simply in cases where it would be simpler to make a noncompetitive appointment.

"There is no disputing that attracting exceptional applicants to the federal workforce, developing their professional abilities and keeping them on the job are laudable goals," Dhuey wrote in the January filing (http://www.govexec.com/pdfs/101008ar1a.pdf). "But if these goals are sufficient to remove the hiring for virtually any position from the competitive service, without any finding that competitive service rules impede these goals, then the 'necessary' limitation of executive discretion to remove positions from the competitive service...is meaningless."

But the Bush administration has argued that the petitioners were wrong to assume the positions in question were by default part of the competitive service, and OPM was required to exempt the position from the competitive service. Dhuey said his client was entitled to notification from Defense that the department was passing Gingery over for the position despite his eligibility for veterans' preference and he should have been allowed to appeal the hiring decision.

Source: http://govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=41182&dcn=todaysnews

XL-entLady
10-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Read this story- from Govexec.com, about the current Bush Administration's filing in a case of a disabled veteran trying to get a job. The Administration says the competitive service ISN'T the Competitive Service, unless the President wants it that way.

Incredible....Source: http://govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=41182&dcn=todaysnews
And when I saw that article, I thought, "With the prescedent of the naming of "The Patriot Act," they'll call any law associated with this one "The Fair Hiring Act". :blink:

Lady

Birchtree
10-11-2008, 10:31 PM
The simple solution would be to get a gender change and then use affirmative action as her support mechanism. I know that would work.

Silverbird
10-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Nope, it wouldn't work. How do you know one of the workers hired over him wasn't female? There are plenty of female auditors out there, good luck with the gender arguement!

He's served his country and was wounded, that's a stronger arguement than gender in the Federal hiring enviroment that HAS vetran preferences!

He should use Disability Act or similar legislation. He could make the arguement that he's being predjudiced against because he's disabled - with the double whammy he's a disabled Vetran who is supposed to have a higher preference both as a Vetran and as a disabled person.

This reminds me of a email memo we got saying we should not join the National Guard, oh yes, don't be a patroit because we might have to keep the job open for you for over a year, D'oh!

James48843
10-12-2008, 07:28 AM
As I see it, this gang of Administration lawyers just spent hundreds of thousands- if not millions - of taxpayer dollars in Lawyer time and effort, to make the argument before the Court, that a wounded veteran should not be able to obtain a job.

You know, in my book- it would have been much less costly to the taxpayer to simply help the wounded veteran find a job.

He was trying to get a GS-0511-07 auditors job.

That was it. - A GS-07 Auditor.

Yet there is here, in this case, millions of dollars used by our government administration to keep him from getting a GS-07 auditor job.

What is wrong with this picture?

Could not they instead have tried to HELP him get a job?

Mike
10-13-2008, 08:53 AM
The day the government does things that make sense is the day hell freezes over. :p

James48843
10-13-2008, 12:24 PM
http://photo.net/general-comments/attachment/784945/HellFreezesOver.jpg

Callme_CO
10-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Somethings wrong with the world today when a veteran ( a disabled one at that) gets the boot from his own government.

A moral decay of our country so great that we value the almighty dollar over the greater good of the country, disregard those who sacrafice for our freedom, and watch the elderly get mistreated.

It saddens me to see us in such a state of dispair.

Silverbird
10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Once used, and used again, and thrown out the window. It is always someone else's fault, we know who it is, they just won't admit it. Our Way is the only way, are you for me or against me, that is the only Test. The masses will take away your pie.

Beware of giving over your mind, your community effort - whether you are to "blame" or not matters not. Gravity rules over the just and the unjust, and if the cliff is eroding, fighting over who jumped up and down too many times leads to everyone falling. And don't abandon someone who got hurt trying to rebuild the cliff just because he can no longer use a shovel. Not only is is unethical, but if you do it enough times, only the most desperate and undesireable, and the most loyal (and able), will dig.

I live in a community with many vetrans, and yellow ribbons are tied to trees, in the shadow of Fort Belvoir, a stones throw from Quantico and the Pentagon. I cannot understand completely, I'm the wrong age, but I can see what's happening.