PDA

View Full Version : BEAR Economy is a Wonderful Event

Steadygain
10-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Considering the past 6 years and the rate at which the Markets grew MOST Financial Experts agreed that the Markets desperately needed a major correction (or BEAR of at least -30%).

So I am very pleased with what has transpired.

If we can learn from our mistakes - or even learn from the obvious signs of Unstable Growth then everyone should use the past 6 years as the example. There are numerous factors which have spured our present Economic Condition and 2004 would be one of the largest and most fundamental. But the Bottomline is: when you see the Markets consistently growing year after year at the rate it did over the Past 6 years THEN YOU HAVE TO REALIZE that something is wrong and in reality IT CAN NOT BE SUSTAINED.

Without a BEAR MARKET - we can not have a BULL MARKET. We all want the same thing (globally) and that is Markets to rise as fast as they can and as long as they can. We are greedy by nature, we are largely impatient, and very self-interest oriented. So no matter what changes are made - we are what we are and therefore the future will follow (and be consistent) with the path we have always traveled. I say all this to encourage you to take what you can out of your Money Market Investment Accounts and BEAR Market Funds and buy up the Stock Funds - as the Prices are extremely good.

The BULL will follow the BEAR and it doesn't matter when. What matters is that you recognize your most supreme buying opportunity. I will begin shifting my Safe Accounts into the Stock Funds.

GL to all and God Bless

McDuck
10-08-2008, 08:17 AM
You must be 100% G-fund

peterson82
10-08-2008, 08:23 AM
I am young and inexperienced with the market, but I wouldn't be too hasty. Why not just ride out the bear until we are positive it will start growing horns... But perhaps that is my greedy nature talking.

James48843
10-08-2008, 08:23 AM
... I say all this to encourage you to take what you can out of your Money Market Investment Accounts and BEAR Market Funds and buy up the Stock Funds - as the Prices are extremely good.

The BULL will follow the BEAR and it doesn't matter when. What matters is that you recognize your most supreme buying opportunity. I will begin shifting my Safe Accounts into the Stock Funds.

GL to all and God Bless

Agreed- the only question is the question of timing to get back in. No one wants to buy BEFORE we hit bottom. And until we get some indicators that the bottom is near, it's hard to move back in.

best of luck to all finding the right place.

Steadygain
10-08-2008, 08:30 AM
No I am 100% S Fund as the Auto Tracker reflects.

I'm not concerned with my losses in the TSP this year; as a real substantial BEAR is the most guaranteed manner of attaining a substantial BULL.

I'm merely pointing out that NOW and in the NEAR FUTURE are the best buying opportunities. I am only now shifting my (G Fund) type of accounts into Stock Funds.

Steadygain
10-08-2008, 08:41 AM
I am young and inexperienced with the market, but I wouldn't be too hasty. Why not just ride out the bear until we are positive it will start growing horns... But perhaps that is my greedy nature talking.

You have a very good point my friend as we could easily drop another 500 points - and ONLY NOW IS OUR ECONOMY EVEN BEGINNING TO FORM A FOUNDATION TO GROW ON.

So I will not make a total shift out of safety - but simply begin the process of acquiring more Stock Funds. No one knows where the TRUE BOTTOM is - but the further it goes down from here (from -30%) the better the buys.

CountryBoy
10-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Hey Steady,

The Bear market is a good thing for those that have time to recoup any losses if they've followed the sage advice of our TSP morons and are buy and holders, cause they are buying shares cheap. But with over $2 trillion of retirement funds wiped out across the country, some folks are really hurting, especially those that are already retired.

No matter how hard me and another guy in my office, who hang out here, tried to explain the drawback to B&H, especially to those that are like us and close to retirement, they'd already drunk the TSP Kool-aid and are now $40 to $80K down in there retirement and are already saying they'll have to work longer than they wanted to. I've been saving extra hard so I can get out in 4years, cause I work to live, not live to work and there are things I want to do, while I'm still young enough.

So it all depends are your place in your time of life whether it is good or bad. My daughter whose is graduating colleg next spring, is buying as much stock as she can, at least some of my sage :rolleyes: advice has rubbed off on her.

I'm looking forward to the bull, because sitting in the G is kindly boring, though I'm positive for the year .79%, but I a little excitement to my life, cause I'm still buying individual stocks, as fast as I can, for mine and my wifes ROTH's.

Now bring on the bulls, so I can add some more $$$ to my TSP in the next 4 years :D

CB

peterson82
10-08-2008, 09:59 AM
CountryBoy,
We have conflicting desires. I would really like it to stay low while I build my retirement base. Although, a bull market wouldn't hurt (so long as it lasts 30 years!). :)

Steadygain
10-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey Steady,

The Bear market is a good thing for those that have time to recoup any losses if they've followed the sage advice of our TSP morons and are buy and holders, cause they are buying shares cheap. But with over $2 trillion of retirement funds wiped out across the country, some folks are really hurting, especially those that are already retired.

CB - This is worded very well. I am thinking only in the light of being a Federal Employee that has years to go. As a Federal Employee this is the very first time that Economic Circumstances have no bearing on my family's security - and I am incredibly blessed to be where I am.

But you're right CB - and I don't mean to sound calloused. Many jobs have vanished and many more will disappear and the real life stains of millions will be terrible. In fact the poorer countries have it way worse. SO I AM NOT CELEBRATING THE HARDSHIPS - I am just thrilled to no end that the Economy has finally responed in a manner that will allow real and sustained future growth.

No matter how hard me and another guy in my office, who hang out here, tried to explain the drawback to B&H, especially to those that are like us and close to retirement, they'd already drunk the TSP Kool-aid and are now $40 to $80K down in there retirement and are already saying they'll have to work longer than they wanted to.

And I'm sorry for this CB - I really am; but my original point is simply to highlight that eventually we reach a period where we can celebrate our conditions and for me that is -30% or greater. I would encourage your friends to recognize that sustained solid growth is inevitable and within a FEW YEARS most of their losses will rise to excellent profits.

I've been saving extra hard so I can get out in 4years, cause I work to live, not live to work and there are things I want to do, while I'm still young enough.

In 4 years you will do very well - the Economy has a life of it's own and there is no way possible it can keep going lower and lower. It will rise and it will rise very well.

So it all depends are your place in your time of life whether it is good or bad. My daughter whose is graduating colleg next spring, is buying as much stock as she can, at least some of my sage :rolleyes: advice has rubbed off on her.

I'm looking forward to the bull, because sitting in the G is kindly boring, though I'm positive for the year .79%, but I a little excitement to my life, cause I'm still buying individual stocks, as fast as I can, for mine and my wifes ROTH's.

YOU are already 30% ahead of the majority - so you are well prepared for the future.

Now bring on the bulls, so I can add some more $$$ to my TSP in the next 4 years :D

CB

Thanks for your thoughts - Best of Luck my friend.

CountryBoy
10-08-2008, 10:39 AM
CountryBoy,
We have conflicting desires. I would really like it to stay low while I build my retirement base. Although, a bull market wouldn't hurt (so long as it lasts 30 years!). :)

Yeah peterson82,

I can totally understand where you are coming from. Take full advantage of this bear and build a good base. :)

CB

CountryBoy
10-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Hey Steady,

I didn’t mean to rain on your good fortune, because that’s life. When some are having bad luck, others have good luck. So I’m thrilled that you’re able to take great advantage of this for your families sake. :D I know that you don’t want anyone to suffer and no I didn’t take that as a calloused remarks, so take advantage of this situation.

As for me, before they limited our IFT’s, I was able to place myself just a few $1000 where I want to be at the end of 2009, so I’m really not sweating this at all. I’ve picked up a few coins and am well ahead of my planned retirement targets.

You have no need to feel sorry for those in my office, because there were 2 folks here that tried to get them to take a more active role in the TSP investments, but they didn’t so that’s also life. They are hoping that they can recoup in a few years, but loosing 30% is a lot to make up in just 4 years, it could happen, but I feel we have another 2 years of slow growth, nothing like we’ve seen in the past. People have been burned bad and us old folks get a little more gun shy. I guess I just got a little more cautious with my money, though I almost went in today 100%, just based on the odds of the market being down 5 days in a row. :nuts:

So celebrate away, you and others in your position have a perfect right too. :D

CB

Steadygain
10-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey Steady,

When some are having bad luck, others have good luck. So I’m thrilled that you’re able to take great advantage of this for your families sake. :D

So celebrate away, you and others in your position have a perfect right too. :D

CB

Thanks CB - I'm thrilled you're doing well also.

I'd say the ones on this MB that are doing well - are doing well because of their lifestyle - and have learned the Bottomline Truth:"It's not how much you make but what you do with it".

It was only last night that I learned about the BEAR Fund which made over a 50% Gain this year. Here I had shifted quite a bit over to China's Markets (or Markets outside of our TSP) - never dreaming such a Fund existed. But the Bulk remained in more ultra conservative funds.

Knowing what I know now - I would have put the overwhelming bulk in a "BEAR Fund" - so it's a matter of learning and striving to take advantage of what you learn.

CountryBoy
10-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks CB - I'm thrilled you're doing well also.

I'd say the ones on this MB that are doing well - are doing well because of their lifestyle - and have learned the Bottomline Truth:"It's not how much you make but what you do with it".

It was only last night that I learned about the BEAR Fund which made over a 50% Gain this year. Here I had shifted quite a bit over to China's Markets (or Markets outside of our TSP) - never dreaming such a Fund existed. But the Bulk remained in more ultra conservative funds.

Knowing what I know now - I would have put the overwhelming bulk in a "BEAR Fund" - so it's a matter of learning and striving to take advantage of what you learn.

Yeah Steady,

This MB has been a big part of my learning (and still learning) and along with our lifestyle. It's just a shame the TSP Board couldn't see fit to do something along these lines when they talk about educating the federal emplyee and to do this education for all new employees.

Take Care my Friend and good investing,
CB