PDA

View Full Version : Move everything to the G????

Bruins21
10-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Hello all,

I am a GS-9 employee with about 25 years until retirement. I currently contribute 15% of my earnrings to my TSP, with the following allocations:
I- 40%
S-30%
C-30%

I have been told by some to move everything into the G fund until the stock market improves.

I had been of the mindset that, in light of my youth, and the amount of time I have until retirement, I'd be better served to just leave my TSP alone, and just ride it out.

Any suggestions? I realize I'm "losing money" right now, but I was under the impression I'd be getting more shares at a lower price right now - which would prove beneficial later?

Thanks for any and all advice.....

KevinD
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Sounds like you have it under control and who ever it was that told you to move to G needs to take a lesson from you. (just my opinion)

As far as allocation...thats up to you but you do have time on your side.

Good luck what ever you do.

nnuut
10-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the Message Board Bruins21. Nobody knows what will happen next. You would be safe in the "G" and be able to jump in if the markets turn around. Being a BEAR Market it might bounce up then turn around and continue down right after so I wouldn't jump back in on the first bounce. Or you can take a big risk, like me and stay where you are and possibly lose big time, but like they say you have time to recover. I've been riding this thing down and will stay until I can't take anymore, which may be really soon.
Best of luck
Norman:D

Rod
10-06-2008, 09:33 PM
You have 25 years on your side. IMO, it would be silly for you to sell this "loss".

Remember, you never lose until you actually sell.

Rod
10-06-2008, 09:35 PM
I've been riding this thing down and will stay until I can't take anymore, which may be really soon.
Best of luck
Norman:D

And when Norm jumps ship, that's when I'm climbing back aboard!!!:D

Show-me
10-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Welcome and you're doing fine. Perfect time to be buying.

nnuut
10-06-2008, 09:44 PM
You're a smart man Rod!!:)

Rod
10-06-2008, 09:47 PM
You're a smart man Rod!!:)

That's b/c I've been hanging around guys like you on here for over 4 years now!:cool:

nnuut
10-06-2008, 09:51 PM
That's b/c I've been hanging around guys like you on here for over 4 years now!:cool:
Hey, I really ment that!!:cheesy: What's b/c, the opposite of a/d?:laugh:

Rod
10-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Hey, I really ment that!!:cheesy: What's b/c, the opposite of a/d?:laugh:

No... the opposite of a/d is d/a!:D

b/c = because;)

nnuut
10-06-2008, 10:19 PM
No... the opposite of a/d is d/a!:D

b/c = because;)
See, I told you you were a very smart man!:D:laugh:

Rod
10-09-2008, 09:28 PM

Well Norm, I see you jumped ship.

That means capitualtion has arrived!!!:D

nnuut
10-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Well Norm, I see you jumped ship.

That means capitualtion has arrived!!!:D
I'm sure you're right, jump right in!:D Something can happen with the G7 meeting this weekend that can turn it around, but I don't know if that will put in a bottom. I'm stuck in the "G", just couldn't take any more losses. SPX 800 next resistance but the Market is news driven. I hope you're having fun!:)

Rod
10-10-2008, 03:15 PM
I hope you're having fun!:)

Oh, I'm having a blast!:D

You???

Hybrid93Hatch
11-24-2008, 06:28 AM
I'm pretty new to investing, but I am going to take a stab at this....

I have been told by some to move everything into the G fund until the stock market improves.

What is the reasoning? You have 25 years for the market to pick up. At this point your account balance means practically nothing (unless you are planning to borrow your money).

II had been of the mindset that, in light of my youth, and the amount of time I have until retirement, I'd be better served to just leave my TSP alone, and just ride it out.

Yep, 25 years is a long ride. Sadly this won't be the last hit we take as teh market goes up & down.... like a roller coaster. It's those who are retiring within the next few years who are worried about the market.

IAny suggestions?

I'm going to buy as much "I" fund stock as possible (100%) while it's dirt cheap & sit on it! Anyone else doing this?

II realize I'm "losing money" right now, but I was under the impression I'd be getting more shares at a lower price right now - which would prove beneficial later?

ding ding ding! I believe you are correct. Buy low / sell high, right?

Thanks for any and all advice.....

Hopefully, that is correct and helps. Again I am pretty new myself to TSP with just under 20 years to go....

Guest2
11-24-2008, 07:06 AM
H93H, Its true that the (I)Fund has been the Grand Leader over time.
But that shouldn't stop you from having a diverse portfolio. Even at such
low prices. They could go lower. What if the market moves sideways
for the next 2 years (its more then possible). The short term looks very
inviting for a bounce, but we'll see these levels again before its all said
and done (JMHO). Maybe Bruins21 might consider the (L) Funds based
on his retirement time line. My point to it all is Diversification and good
timing. If were going to be better off come mid 2009 (guessing) then
maybe investing half now would be wiser then throwing it all at risk.
The closer we come to mid 2009, the more he could up his risk factor.
Just a thought as I drive around saying hi to everyone. Good Luck.