PDA

View Full Version : Live Online Comments re: Presidential Debates Tonite

Miss_Piggy
09-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Please submit your observations & comments re: tonite's debates.

ChemEng
09-27-2008, 01:27 AM
I'm just now finishing up watching the debates online. I really like this format of answering the question to the moderator and then to address each other. It really helped get each of them off the script early and often.

I thought that it was roughly a draw. This really surprised me because I expected McCain to completely dominate the debate that focused on foreign policy. If the later topics favor Obama's platform, then McCain is going to get rolled in these debates.

Another observation--Obama was very well prepared for this debate and it showed. McCain will have to ramp up his debate prep in the future if he places any value on the role of debates in his campaign.

Im also glad that Obama called the financial downturn an issue of national security. That is the first time that I have heard a national figure say that.

Miss_Piggy
09-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Good thoughtful analysis ChemEng. Thanks

I was put off by McCain’s “dropping names” and the names he referred to (i.e., Kissinger – the anti-war opponent and possible war criminal!?) and by his military talk and analogies; also by both of their inside jargon as they debated their Congressional votes and positions which was confusing at times.

I also had the sense that Obama would have been willing to discuss things directly with McCain as Jim Lehrer wanted but McCain would have no part of it.

But then I’m prejudiced.

James48843
09-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Do you have a link to watch the debate? I missed it, as my computer was having problems for three days due to a virus attack- and I finally have it clean up now, but I missed several days news in the process of trying to fix this thing...

Miss_Piggy
09-28-2008, 09:12 AM
F-nNIEduEOw

Also:http://www.c-span.org/Politics/

James48843
09-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Thank you for the link- Miss Piggy. I really appreciate it. I am watching it now.

McDuck
09-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Osama is an empty suit.

James48843
09-29-2008, 03:58 AM
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”
- - Eleanor Roosevelt

McDuck
09-29-2008, 05:17 AM
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”
- - Eleanor Roosevelt

- - unattributed

Silverbird
09-29-2008, 10:22 AM
I liked it, we heard from both Presidential candidates and we didn't hear two second zingers that sound good and ring hollow. I'm surprised the commentators are jumping up and down on the candidates for saying they aren't going to commit to voting for the "bailout" bill until its finalized. That's like saying "are you going to buy that house" before you know how much house you are buying!

As for the VP's, Biden is supposed to run over Palin, but anyone who listened to him during the primaries know he really isn't a good debater, and mixes up his facts into some real howlers when trying to back up his ideas. Palin has ideals, but has problems presenting them in a way that doesn't make her sound like she never thought about any issues whatsover. I hope both of them work hard so the commentators talk about their views clearly after debate, rather than present a series of howlers that make it sound like the VP candidates participated in an SNL skit, and miss the meat of the debate.