PDA

View Full Version : Tsp safe? Or not?

luv2read
09-25-2008, 06:12 AM
Something is UP, and it STINKS to high heaven! Now they're putting out "fluff pieces" to calm the waters before there's even a storm? We knew about the Lehman buyout, so why this, now?

Pay and Benefits Watch
TSP Tumult
by Alyssa Rosenberg arosenberg@govexec.com (arosenberg@govexec.com) September 25, 2008
No matter how young or how well-heeled you are, nobody likes checking their retirement account and finding that their hard-earned savings have evaporated due to events beyond their control. So it's not surprising that many Thrift Savings Plan participants are worried -- even angry -- about recent upheaval in the stock market.
"As a [Federal Employees Retirement System] employee, I am furious," wrote one Government Executive reader under the handle What a Rip-Off. "In the past few days my TSP account has lost over $50K. I fell for those lies about working hard and playing by the rules. I have contributed to my TSP over the past decades only to get ripped off by the mortgage swindlers."
In other messages, readers blamed the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board's decision to limit interfund transfers to two per month for exacerbating the situation, saying the restriction prevented them from reallocating their savings often enough to avoid losses.
Those who think they could produce better investment results if they were allowed to make as many trades as they wanted might be interested in a 2005 study (http://www.people.hbs.edu/jcoval/Papers/persist.pdf) by three business school professors of individual investors who made 25 or more trades a month.
Joshua Coval of Harvard University, David Hirshleifer of Ohio State University and Tyler Shumway of the University of Michigan set out to examine the conventional wisdom that individual traders are "at best uninformed, at worst fools." What they found was that some frequent traders did, in fact, outperform the market and demonstrated some level of skill and knowledge when picking stocks. But many consistently lost money. The professors concluded that the value of frequent trading lies in the ability to teach investors more about themselves.
"If traders vary widely in terms of their ability to select investments, and if they learn about and develop this ability through trading, it may in fact be rational for some investors to trade frequently and at a loss, in the hope of future gains," Coval, Hirshleifer and Shumway wrote.
But there are a few things TSP investors should remember.
First, markets go up gradually. As terrible as the past few weeks have been, they're unlikely to herald years of steady decline. Second, the TSP really isn't set up to offer the best range of options for frequent traders. The authors of the 2005 study noted that one of the keys to successful trading is knowledge, though not insider information, about individual stocks and companies. But the TSP's offerings are index funds that track overall market performance, so investors aren't likely to make a windfall by a canny prediction.
"There are good times and there are bad times," said Bob Leins, a certified public accountant who advises federal employees. "People who have been in it for a fair number of years have enjoyed an unprecedented ride, and now they're paying some of it back.... My feeling is you just kind of ride it out because you are in an insulated environment within the TSP."
It also might be reassuring for TSP investors to know that even though Barclays, which manages the TSP funds, is purchasing certain assets of the failed firm Lehman Brothers, those purchases won't affect how plan funds are managed or who manages them, said Tom Trabucco, the TSP's director of external affairs. In an uncertain time, that's one constant.

Show-me
09-25-2008, 06:23 AM
luv2read,
Can you cut and past a link to the article for me, I can not find it.

Show-me
09-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Found it.

http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?filepath=/dailyfed/0908/092508pb.htm

CountryBoy
09-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Anytime that the TSP Board and barclays is mentioned in the same article, something stinks. These guys are bed mates and are just looking out for themselves. And yeah, a massive tech update for just 2 IFT's. WTF is this about? I guarantee ya it's for the benefit of barclays and not us. :mad:

I'd feel much safer if I could remove about 90% of my money out of the TSP w/o taking a tax hit. We have no real option or assurance that our money is safe, except maybe being in the G Fund and ya gotta even wonder about that. :(

CB

James48843
09-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Communication expenses such as postage and printing of brochures, forms and other documents are projected to hit $6.8 million in fiscal 2010 — $5.5 million more than the board spent in fiscal 2008...

I would like everyone to note that approximately $5 MILLION is going to be spent next year on the production and distribution of a new DVD on TSP in 2010-a DVD to be sent to each person.

Remember, we JUST HAD a video fiasco - what- was it two years ago? where they wasted millions- a considerable amount of money-- on "communications" by MAILING a video out.

Suggestion- perhaps we need to ask each ETAC member WHY they are allowing the Board to waste $5 MILLION of our money on another video mail out, when they COULD simply post the video on the TSP website for free, and people could see it there.

Braveheart
09-26-2008, 04:25 AM
I would like everyone to note that approximately $5 MILLION is going to be spent next year on the production and distribution of a new DVD on TSP in 2010-a DVD to be sent to each person.

Remember, we JUST HAD a video fiasco - what- was it two years ago? where they wasted millions- a considerable amount of money-- on "communications" by MAILING a video out.

Suggestion- perhaps we need to ask each ETAC member WHY they are allowing the Board to waste $5 MILLION of our money on another video mail out, when they COULD simply post the video on the TSP website for free, and people could see it there.

This is called the shell game it will cost about 1 Million or less to send that DVD to everyone including postage & production expenses but this way they get to take 4 Million and no one will know UNTIL NOW !!!!!!!

FUTURESTRADER
10-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Anyone else having trouble getting in to the TSP website this morning, 9:22 est.? The 3 million 'buy and forgetters' getting a big shock checking their accounts for the first time....ever

Guest2
10-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Anyone else having trouble getting in to the TSP website this morning, 9:22 est.? The 3 million 'buy and forgetters' getting a big shock checking their accounts for the first time....ever

I know of a guy who's lost around -30.00% of his portfolio so far this year.
As smug as one can get, he refuses to believe that I'm only down -11.68%:)
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Pity ! :blink:
No trouble logging in to Balance Only (this morning)

Aviator_Guy
10-07-2008, 09:44 AM

The TSP board is spending 5 million dollars on a DVD production??? OK, this should be interesting explaining to our federal participants how the TSP Board recommends their “buy and hold” strategy encouraged by the new two IFT limit!! I just hope they didn’t funnel any of those 5 million dollars to the CEO of Lehman Brother’s or any of his crooked insiders!! I’m just amazed hearing this news. The TSP Board can limit our IFT’s, but then go out and spend 5 million dollars on a DVD??? Give me a Break!!!

Fivetears
10-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Where's 20/20? ABC News? Nightline? These dirty bankers just can't keep thier greedy @$$ hands out of the cookie jar. Enough already!
The TSP board is spending 5 million dollars on a DVD production??? OK, this should be interesting explaining to our federal participants how the TSP Board recommends their “buy and hold” strategy encouraged by the new two IFT limit!! I just hope they didn’t funnel any of those 5 million dollars to the CEO of Lehman Brother’s or any of his crooked insiders!! I’m just amazed hearing this news. The TSP Board can limit our IFT’s, but then go out and spend 5 million dollars on a DVD??? Give me a Break!!!

Silverbird
10-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Where's 20/20? ABC News? Nightline? These dirty bankers just can't keep thier greedy @$$ hands out of the cookie jar. Enough already!Unfortunately news on the Federal Government's 401K plan is not national news because only Federal/Military are in it. Big news in Washington because a lot of us work here, maybe get Channel 8 or someone local on it? Also would be good on Miltary news, maybe?

James48843
10-08-2008, 06:50 PM
TSP's Greg Long posted a note today on the front page of the main TSP website- basically telling people not to panic, that TSP is a long term investment, and not to switch to "G" fund without thinking very carefully about it. His tone in the letter is as if we are children.

http://tsp.gov/curinfo/login/2008Oct7-Message-Exec-Direct.pdf

From the letter:

"Some of our participants have asked whether the Government can use the assets in the G Fund to help pay for the credit recovery plan. The answer is no. By law, the assets in the TSP are held in trust for each individual participant. So you don’t have to worry about anyone “tapping” your retirement investments for another purpose.

Remember that the TSP is a long-term retirement plan. I encourage you to think carefully before you make changes to your TSP account."

Guest2
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
TSP's Greg Long posted a note today on the front page of the main TSP website- basically telling people not to panic, that TSP is a long term investment, and not to switch to "G" fund without thinking very carefully about it. His tone in the letter is as if we are children.

From the letter:

"Some of our participants have asked whether the Government can use the assets in the G Fund to help pay for the credit recovery plan. The answer is no. By law, the assets in the TSP are held in trust for each individual participant. So you don’t have to worry about anyone “tapping” your retirement investments for another purpose.

Remember that the TSP is a long-term retirement plan. I encourage you to think carefully before you make changes to your TSP account."

In one breathe he says, don't take all your money out of stocks
and then in another he says, I'm not letting you go back into stocks
because it costs too much to move your money so often. He keeps
on saying its a long term investment, but totaly ignores that us Baby
Boomers don't have any Long Term left. Double Talk and Dribble ! :mad:

Frixxxx
10-08-2008, 07:02 PM

From the letter:

I will defintely respond to this letter tonight...but got to drive home first. Um, can anyone say IDIOT!:mad:

Silverbird
10-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Oh, don't go to G! It's not good for you! G is safe! Think carefully!

Thaks Gary, I know which sentences most investors already listened to of those 4. A lot of people thought carefully - and thanks for the advice - why are you surprised people are in G? :rolleyes: You lost money on "I" transactions because people left it? Wonder whyyyy? D'oh! I notice you aren't saying those trusty L funds are safe!

2010 revisit of this farce -
Look at our monthly chart and see what you missed from two years ago, October 2008 because you weren't in L funds! (I think he's trying to catch the bottom so he can say "I told you so!"):suspicious:

Rod
10-08-2008, 07:57 PM
The TSP Board can limit our IFT’s, but then go out and spend 5 million dollars on a DVD??? Give me a Break!!!

I guarantee someone on the board has "connections" with whoever will be producing the DVD.

That's where an investigation should start.