PDA

View Full Version : Chocoholics sour on new Hershey’s formula

Silverbird
09-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Former fans kissed off about replacement of cocoa butter with vegetable oil
By Laura T. Coffey
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 10:21 a.m. ET, Fri., Sept. 19, 2008
.....Products such as Whatchamacallit, Milk Duds, Mr. Goodbar and Krackel no longer have milk chocolate coatings, and Hershey’s Kissables are now labeled “chocolate candy” instead of “milk chocolate.”

What’s going on here? On Friday, TODAY consumer correspondent Janice Lieberman reported that Hershey’s has switched to less expensive ingredients in several of its products. In particular, cocoa butter — the ingredient famous for giving chocolate its creamy, melt-in-your-mouth texture — has been replaced with vegetable oil.

The removal of cocoa butter violates the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s definition of milk chocolate, so subtle changes have appeared on the labels of the Hershey’s products with altered recipes. Products once labeled “milk chocolate” now say “chocolate candy,” “made with chocolate” or “chocolatey....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26788143/
[If I want chocolate, I want cocoa butter...:mad:]

XL-entLady
09-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Sacrilege! Profanity of my favorite food on this earth!

Chocolate is one of my four basic food groups. Good chocolate has a "nose" to it just like fine wine. Hersheys has never been my favorite. You have to get something of a quality like Doves or Ghirardelli before it's really worth eating. And I'd tell you what really fine chocolate does, but that's too much information....

But Hersheys now will be no better than that waxy glop that they make cheap easter bunnies out of. Blech. :notrust:

Too bad. And thanks, Silverbird, for the warning.

Lady

Buster
09-19-2008, 01:54 PM
I'd tell you what really fine chocolate does, but that's too much information....

Lady

Do go on..I'm all ears..

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k80/galadahlia/bigears.jpg

Frixxxx
09-19-2008, 03:00 PM
[/quote]

Chocolate is one of my four basic food groups. Good chocolate has a "nose" to it just like fine wine. Hersheys has never been my favorite. You have to get something of a quality like Doves or Ghirardelli before it's really worth eating. And I'd tell you what really fine chocolate does, but that's too much information....

But Hersheys now will be no better than that waxy glop that they make cheap easter bunnies out of. Blech. :notrust:

Too bad. And thanks, Silverbird, for the warning.

Lady

I agree, I'm into some serious chocolate eating, I have Dove (Dark) hearts at my desk (mmmmm cocoa butter). But you can have Hershey's, I'd go without. But the legal aspect does interest me. Never had I heard of changing a recipe that would cause an uproar. Oh wait there was that Coke and Pepsi thing, but who drinks that swill!?!

Do go on..I'm all ears..

Buster, put the chocolate down and back away slowly.:laugh:

James48843
09-21-2008, 07:06 AM
I looked closely at a pack of Milk Duds yesterday at the store.

It's true.

Milk Duds are no longer labled "Milk Chocolate", they are labled as "Chocolate flavor".

Imagine- the corporate greed level so high, that in order to save a penny, they would mess with MY MILK DUDS.

Then I did a google search.

Sure enough.

The democrats are for cocoa butter, and American jobs.

The republicans are for palm oil, moving the jobs to Mexico, and the extra penny.

An extract: " The Hershey company - the town's biggest employer and America's biggest confectionery manufacturer - last year announced plans to shed 1500 jobs in the US, 900 of them in Hershey itself.

The firm also announced its intention to move some of its operations to Mexico, where labour is cheaper.

The unions say that the job losses are a direct result of the North American Free Trade Agreement (Nafta) between the US, Mexico and Canada, and that more deals - like the proposed free trade agreement with Colombia - will mean more job losses. Mr Obama has pledged to renegotiate America's trade deals to include greater protection for workers and the environment, partly in order to level the playing field and reduce the flow of American jobs abroad."

Check out the whole story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7535872.stm

I say- Solidarity for the Hershey Worker, and Milk Chocolate forever!

CountryBoy
09-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Nooooo, not my milk duds, next will be limiting IFT's to 2 per month..wait they've already done that. :mad:

CB

XL-entLady
09-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Then I did a google search.

Sure enough.

The democrats are for cocoa butter....
Now THERE is an issue worth taking to the voting booth! ;)

Cocoa butter forever! :)

Lady

mamikin
09-21-2008, 04:10 PM

I am sooo with you on this, Lady! Now I know why the Hershey's kisses I bought for the kids didn't taste right - the formula has been changed and it's not real chocolate anymore. But I also prefer other brands as well, Doves and Ghiradelli are good, and I like Cadbury. too. And of course, the darker the chocolate, the better!

fabijo
09-21-2008, 11:06 PM
phooey. Why even go for Hershey's anyway? :sick:
Besides, is milk chocolate really chocolate?

mmmmm. Dark Chocolate. Now that's nice.

Buster
09-22-2008, 09:53 AM
phooey. Why even go for Hershey's anyway? :sick:
Besides, is milk chocolate really chocolate?

mmmmm. Dark Chocolate. Now that's nice.
And healthy for your heart too.

XL-entLady
09-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Yes the bail-out is something for which we'll need a lot of Preparation H. :mad: But the following news story means the end of the world as we know it!! How will I get through the rape and pillage of the bail-out if I can't eat chocolate??! :blink:

"British chocolate maker Cadbury on Monday became the latest foreign company to be hit by China's tainted milk scandal, ordering a recall of its Chinese-made products after saying tests "cast doubt" on their safety."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/09/29/candy.milk.ap/index.html

Lady