PDA

View Full Version : The USPS is showing us videos about how bad they are doing? Something brewing??

12%ayear
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
I been with the USPS over 20 years and never witnessed any kind of movie like that. This tells me that they are going to either offer an early-out or lay us off.

Frixxxx
09-18-2008, 12:28 PM
I been with the USPS over 20 years and never witnessed any kind of movie like that. This tells me that they are going to either offer an early-out or lay us off.
Were they carrying pink slips or was it more of a "motivational" take?:cool:

CountryBoy
09-18-2008, 02:51 PM

This doesn't bode well, but I have seen a couple of articles talking about early out at the USPS.

CB

Show-me
10-24-2008, 07:31 AM
RIGHTSIZING THE HEADQUARTERS WORKFORCE
USPS HEADQUARTERS TO REDUCE COMPLEMENT
USPS is facing one of the most difficult challenges in its history. There has been a continual decline in First-Class Mail volumes over the past decade. The current economic downturn has led to an even greater decline in volume with the loss of more than 9 billion pieces this past year alone. All Headquarters Officers have identified opportunities to streamline staffing by matching current workforce with the workload.
As a result, complement in all Headquarters and Headquarters-related units has been reduced — some vacant positions have been eliminated, while other occupied positions are impacted. Starting this week, employees occupying impacted positions will be notified and given information and guidance.
In a letter to Officers this week, Anthony Vegliante, Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer, stated, “We are moving forward with a focused approach to organizational change within all Headquarters and Headquarters-related functions.”
On previous occasions, USPS has successfully managed complement with minimal impact to employees and we expect that record of success to continue. A successive series of job postings will be opened to place qualified employees in vacant positions starting Oct. 27.
All Headquarters and Headquarters-related employees interested in competing for these vacancies, impacted or not, are urged to create a profile now within the eCareer system on LiteBlue (http://liteblue.usps.gov/). Some additional positions will become vacant as a result of regular and voluntary retirements.

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2008/nl_1023extra.htm

Guest2
10-24-2008, 07:37 AM
When free Bill Pay hit the banks, I stopped writing checks to 13 different
services. The amount of stamps I use is practically non-existant. The
package business is owned by FedEx and UPS. The Postal Service has
lost Tons of revenue over the last 5 years. Something Must Be Brewing! :confused:

Buster
10-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Don't fret...soon as the prices of gas stay down and become more reasonable..things will lighten up..Stop Saturday deliveries and raise the cost of a stamp another penny or two...;)

Show-me
10-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Big time! We are eliminating our tour 2 operations nation wide, that's day shift folks in mail processing only. Our most senior people are there and the speculation is to encourage them to retire beings they did not receive as many early out requests as they had anticipated.

Word is we will see lay offs after the election, that still will not be enough.

Guest2
10-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Big time! We are eliminating our tour 2 operations nation wide, that's day shift folks in mail processing only. Our most senior people are there and the speculation is to encourage them to retire beings they did not receive as many early out requests as they had anticipated.

No different then Corporate Downsizing. Layoffs, Regional Restructuring
Management Layoffs, Early Retirement, RIF's, Hiring Freezes etc....

Buster
10-24-2008, 07:49 AM

You know how gloom and doom rumours pass along..it can be exaggerated;)

Not pretending to know your business..But, My sister is a postal worker/mail carrier in NH (29 years)..and she don't think anything of this latest BS that your management is handing out..Typical scare tactics:notrust:

Show-me
10-24-2008, 08:08 AM
You know how gloom and doom rumours pass along..it can be exaggerated;)

Not pretending to know your business..But, My sister is a postal worker/mail carrier in NH (29 years)..and she don't think anything of this latest BS that your management is handing out..Typical scare tactics:notrust:

Not this time, major plant south of me eliminating tour 2 this weekend.

fabijo
10-24-2008, 10:44 AM
raise the cost of a stamp another penny or two...;)

That's always confused me about the postal service. The usual rules of supply and demand say that when demand is down, supply goes up so prices go down. When demand is up, supply goes down, which increases prices. The Post Office raises prices when demand is down, thus pushing demand further down. It's like they have the mentality of OPEC.

budnipper1
10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
That's always confused me about the postal service. The usual rules of supply and demand say that when demand is down, supply goes up so prices go down. When demand is up, supply goes down, which increases prices. The Post Office raises prices when demand is down, thus pushing demand further down. It's like they have the mentality of OPEC.

Like most other beauracracies, the normal rules of business accountability do not exist or apply. I think it would probably be more accurate to compare the mentality of USPS management to the good old boy methods of Congress instead of OPEC. There's Postmaster Potter, who spends his days sitting in his plush office, looking to find ways to justify the existence of his position at the next Senate hearing. His last attempt, the Postal Reform Plan, was about as effective as the recent "Rescue" finance bill that was passed.

Under Potter, there are thousands of upper and middle-management corporate "title-holders". The majority of them obtained their jobs kissing up to anybody and everybody who could help them climb the ladder. And so on, down the line.

The postal service needs another Postmaster like Marvin (Carvin') Runyon. In the early '90's, he eliminated (carved) a bunch of those useless, non-productive jobs and put the USPS back in the black ink. Since he left, they've gone downhill and right back to where they were before, blaming the lowest of the food chain, labor, for their failures. Do I sound cynical? Good! That was my intent.:cheesy:

http://www.usps.com/history/rbioa.htm (http://www.usps.com/history/rbioa.htm)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_T._Runyon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_T._Runyon)