Or is it just an average of 500 stocks?

Or...

JTH
09-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Can I buy a share of S&P 500 ?

Or...

This is Americia you can buy anything you want to :cheesy:

There are many ETFs that track various exchanges. I would start reading here, as a basic primer.
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/research/etfs.aspx

Birchtree
09-12-2008, 08:44 PM
The C fund tracks the SPX and that is my choice for the next leg up. I've been dollar cost averaging my position since Feb. 04, building more and more shares in preparation for the blast off that is yet to arrive, but make no mistake the rocket fuel is plentiful. This is another once in a life time opportunity for valuations - for all financials and energy related sectors. When we look back historically, we will be writing about the irrational panic of 2007 and 2008. Those of us that can grin and bear the pain will get the best prices - and when prices are low your dollar works harder to accumulate more shares and that is what you want for a retirement booty. You want to be patiently amassing greater and greater equity positions - and the C fund is a sure way to do that.

Braveheart
09-13-2008, 03:36 AM
The C fund tracks the SPX and that is my choice for the next leg up. I've been dollar cost averaging my position since Feb. 04, building more and more shares in preparation for the blast off that is yet to arrive, but make no mistake the rocket fuel is plentiful. This is another once in a life time opportunity for valuations - for all financials and energy related sectors. When we look back historically, we will be writing about the irrational panic of 2007 and 2008. Those of us that can grin and bear the pain will get the best prices - and when prices are low your dollar works harder to accumulate more shares and that is what you want for a retirement booty. You want to be patiently amassing greater and greater equity positions - and the C fund is a sure way to do that.

And the people said AMEN !!! I am with you on this one just a small crisis - Houston we have a problem. If Oil can hang tough and the damage is less than what I see as about 25 Billion:worried: we will be fine. It will take years to rebuild. I am all in with the C Fund we shall see what happens but if gas is $6.00 - GAME OVER !!!:nuts:

Guest2
09-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Can I buy a share of S&P 500 ? Or is it just an average of 500 stocks? Or...

First off, welcome to the website. Based on the title of your thread and
the question you've posed, we need to start with the basics. My first
suggestion is to go to the TSP Website ( http://www.tsp.gov ) and start
to read everything you can about the funds. Find out the differences
between Interfund Transfers (IFT's) and Contribution Allocations. Become
familiar with Share Price ( http://www.tsp.gov/rates/share-prices.html ).

With that said, the (C) Fund was made up to reflect the returns of the
S&P500. If you have $2500 in your TSP account and you wish to buy
shares of the S&P500, you can't. But you can buy shares of the (C) Fund
which is basically the same thing. If the closing price of the (C) Fund is
$12.50 per share and you put 100% of your money in that Fund, you have
actually purchased 200 shares of the (C) Fund. You'll find that most of us
do IFT's based on Percentages. Share Prices are widely used to calculate
your balance in advance of the TSP publishing your new balance on their
website. That my friend is a different seminar ! Good Luck and get ready
to do a lot of reading. (Both here and the TSP website). ;)

Show-me
09-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Mike vB,
Sorry I did not see this post earlier, but I see our very capable and knowledgeable members have given you the answers.

Keep the questions coming, its how you learn. The TSP board won't help you, but we will.

FUTURESTRADER
09-13-2008, 09:08 PM
ETF symbol (SPY) would be the closest to buying the S&P 500 through a brokerage account. It is 1/10 the value, i.e. it closed at 126.09 a share on friday vs. the S&P 500 which closed at 1251.7 on friday. Also, you can buy a full sized 'share' of S&P 500 but it is cosidered a futures contract. It will only cost you the comission to buy it, but you need about $12,000 in an account to buy it, (margin, in case it goes against you)but for every point the S&P moves you gain or lose $250. Alternatively, the S&P 500 e-mini is $50/point, and may only require $2,000 in an account to trade.

Guest2
09-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Can I buy a share of S&P 500 ?
Or...

I hope I didn't over simplify your original question. My answer was related to
the TSP and how it relates to the S&P500. If so, please accept this humble
appology. :embarrest: If your question concerned investing outside the TSP, then it
appears that the membership is well on its way to answering all your questions. ;)