PDA

View Full Version : Hello all,

RonUSPSretired
09-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm a 27 yr Postal veteran, starting out as a Clerk/Carrier, retiring two yrs ago after 19 yrs as a small town Postmaster. I've been a mostly silent member of TSP Talk for a number of years (joined the MB in Feb 08) using mostly the premium svcs, until the board screwed with our IFT's. Yes I'm one of the 3000! Since then I've been unable to completely offset my necessary monthly withdrawls with TSP earnings. I have been considering following 14U and others out of the TSP to trading ETF's through 1st Trade or Vangard etc. I lack the experience using these types of programs, so would like to do more research first. Any help you more experienced members could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

XL-entLady
09-01-2008, 02:31 PM
I've been a mostly silent member of TSP Talk for a number of years (joined the MB in Feb 08) .

Hi, Ron! I'd say welcome to the MB, but it looks like you've actually been around much longer than I have! This is certainly a great place to learn more about financial markets while we make and strengthen friendships, isn't it.

Good luck,
Lady

RonUSPSretired
09-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes it is! Thanks for your warm welcome, to a finally active oldtimer.
Hi, Ron! I'd say welcome to the MB, but it looks like you've actually been around much longer than I have! This is certainly a great place to learn more about financial markets while we make and strengthen friendships, isn't it.

Good luck,
Lady

Spaf
09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Ron, welcome aboard!

I use Scottrade for my tax-paid account. Trade cost can add up very quickly. Also watch the sell and buy costs. A complement to TSP would be: Cash=G, AGG=F, IVV=C, IJR=S and EFA=I. Funds quoted are IShares under ETF's. Take your time with this system but do sellect a reputable broker.

Spaf

I'm a 27 yr Postal veteran, starting out as a Clerk/Carrier, retiring two yrs ago after 19 yrs as a small town Postmaster. I've been a mostly silent member of TSP Talk for a number of years (joined the MB in Feb 08) using mostly the premium svcs, until the board screwed with our IFT's. Yes I'm one of the 3000! Since then I've been unable to completely offset my necessary monthly withdrawls with TSP earnings. I have been considering following 14U and others out of the TSP to trading ETF's through 1st Trade or Vangard etc. I lack the experience using these types of programs, so would like to do more research first. Any help you more experienced members could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

RonUSPSretired
09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the welcome and useful advice. It gives me a good place to start.
Ron, welcome aboard!

I use Scottrade for my tax-paid account. Trade cost can add up very quickly. Also watch the sell and buy costs. A complement to TSP would be: Cash=G, AGG=F, IVV=C, IJR=S and EFA=I. Funds quoted are IShares under ETF's. Take your time with this system but do sellect a reputable broker.

Spaf

Frixxxx
09-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I thought I felt those eyes upon us. Welcome and please let us know what, if anything, has worked best for you!....Congrats (2 yrs L8) on your retirement....hope it is long and fruitful!:cool:

tsptalk
09-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Welcome Ron! Let us know what you decide on the TSP to ETF exidus.

EW_ret
09-23-2008, 07:06 AM
Welcome to our forums. You can join our Automated Tracker once you have 10 posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules in my signature. Click Members Ranking (http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_user_balance_all.php) to see the current return rankings of our members.

JTH
09-23-2008, 10:12 AM
A belated welcome! :D

I've recently opened a ROTH IRA through my USAA banking account. Please let us know what you eventually choose and what you think of it.

Cheers... JTH

nnuut
09-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Welcome aboard Ron, best of luck!
Norman:D

FogSailing
09-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Welcome Ron,from another of the 3000..:D:D:D

Current count Persians -1
3000 -0

But as the Spartans say "Come back with your shield or on it"

FS