PDA

View Full Version : The Quotes Thread

fabijo
08-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I know many of us have favorite quotes and might not be able fit them all in our sig, so here's a place to let 'em rip.

fabijo
08-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh, judge, your damn laws: the good people don't need them and the bad people don't follow them, so what good are they?
-Ammon Hennacy

In all history there is no war which was not hatched by the governments, the governments alone, independent of the interests of the people, to whom war is always pernicious even when successful.
-Leo Tolstoy

Buster
08-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Women like silent men, they think they're listening.

"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?.
Geo Carlin

fabijo
08-14-2008, 08:43 PM
r.i.p. George.

Guest2
08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Do As I Say,,,,Not As I Do - My Father ;)

Buster
08-15-2008, 07:39 AM
"Little boys should be seen and not heard"

SB's Father

:toung::laugh::D

nnuut
08-15-2008, 07:59 AM
"Who said that, I said that"
Robert D. Raeford!:cool:

nnuut
08-15-2008, 08:02 AM
"Say kids, What time is it?"
Buffolo Bob Smith:rolleyes:

Steadygain
08-15-2008, 08:22 AM
"Wither so ever I roam - onward to glory I go"

Man of the Mancha

Guest2
08-15-2008, 09:55 AM
"Little boys should be seen and not heard" SB's Father :toung:

Turn the other cheek, if that don't work, beat'm over the head with a Baseball Bat :D SB's Mother

Silverbird
08-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Beware what you ask for, you may get it. -[Fairy tale - the Rooster's Claw?]

luv2read
08-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Turn the other cheek, if that don't work, beat'm over the head with a Baseball Bat :D SB's Mother
which cheeks are we talkin' about?:laugh:

fabijo
08-15-2008, 12:04 PM
which cheeks are we talkin' about?:laugh:

There are some cheeks that I don't want to see turned.
--fabijo

fabijo
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself
-- Leo Tolstoy

XL-entLady
08-15-2008, 12:17 PM
What a fun thread! Thanks for starting it, Fabijo! :cool::cool:

"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except from take exercise, get up early or be respectable." - Oscar Wilde

Lady

Guest2
08-15-2008, 03:05 PM
I taught you everything that you know, but not everything that I know ! - me

Buster
08-15-2008, 03:09 PM
I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.

I think Bill Cosby

XL-entLady
08-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.

I think Bill Cosby

Yep, you're right, Buster! "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out. And make another one looks just like you!" :laugh:

Lady

XL-entLady
08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
"Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There is too much fraternizing with the enemy." - Henry Kissinger

fabijo
08-16-2008, 01:29 AM
:laugh: I have no idea what Kissinger is talking about. :rolleyes:

fabijo
08-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Of course, I have to bring in my favorite comedian. I can never get enough of Steven Wright. Just a few:

Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.

I just got skylights put in my place. The people who live above me are furious.

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses.

When I have a kid, I want to buy one of those strollers for twins. Then put the kid in and run around, looking frantic. When he gets older, I'd tell him he used to have a brother, but he didn't obey.

I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

The other day, I was walking my dog around my building... on the ledge. Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

XL-entLady
08-18-2008, 05:00 PM
"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

fabijo
08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself
-- Leo Tolstoy

Interesting. I quoted Tolstoy and you quoted Gandhi, both having similar statements. I just found this about Gandhi and Tolstoy:

Gandhi read Tolstoy's The Kingdom of God is Within You in 1894 and turned his attention to the concept of nonviolence. At the age of 25, it made a deep impression on him.

Commenting on its impact, he said: "Before the... profound morality and the truthfulness of this book, all the books... seemed to pale into insignificance.''

Gandhi and Tolstoy had much in common. They were no philosophers, but were teachers of humanity and practised what they preached. While Tolstoy is considered a prophet of the latter half of the 19th century, Gandhi belongs to the first half of the 20th century.

Tolstoy manifested independent thinking, profound morality and truthfulness. The ideals of 'resist not evil' and nonviolence struck deep chords with Gandhi. He began to mould his life according to the ideas of Tolstoy. It was not blind following though. He did not share Tolstoy's intense dislike for organized government.

from http://www.lifepositive.com/Spirit/masters/mahatma-gandhi/making-mahatma.asp

Show-me
08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.

-Benjamin Franklin

Frixxxx
08-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Nice one Show-me!

Here's a good one:

"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies."

-Thomas Jefferson

It's not so much what he said, but when. :cool:

XL-entLady
08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Here's a long one but a new favorite of mine, with thanks to JTH for reminding me of it! :cool:

"I can sum up whatever wisdom I have accumulated this way: The trick is not to be the hottest stockpicker, the winning forecaster, or the developer of the neatest model; such victories are transient. The trick is to survive. Performing that trick requires a strong stomach for being wrong, because we are all going to be wrong more often than we expect. The future is not ours to know. But it helps to know that being wrong is inevitable and normal, not some terrible tragedy, not some awful failing in reasoning, not even bad luck in most instances. Being wrong comes with the franchise of an activity whose outcome depends on an unknown future .... Look around at the long-term survivors at this business and think of the much larger number of colorful characters who were once in the headlines, but who have since disappeared from the scene.” - Peter Bernstein

Callme_CO
08-28-2008, 03:42 PM
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Scout333
08-28-2008, 03:52 PM
"It's better to shoot for the stars and miss, than aim for the ground and hit!"My Dad:D

BigJohn
09-08-2008, 05:44 PM
From my two-year olds favorite book: Little Miss Spider Goes to School

"We all have our talents,
We hop, fly, and crawl.
But kindness, he said,
Is the finest of all."

burrocrat
04-07-2010, 12:56 AM
"you can never do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson, (or something like that, i think)

Buster
04-07-2010, 12:23 PM
“Whenever a man does a thoroughly stupid thing, it is always from the noblest motives.”

Oscar Wilde

XL-entLady
04-10-2010, 05:32 PM
"I feel sorry for someone who has to win at everything." - Snoopy

XL-entLady
04-11-2010, 12:48 PM
People sometimes tweet fast enought that they say something they haven't thought of yet. - Anonymous

Show-me
04-25-2010, 08:22 AM
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945