PDA

View Full Version : As Iraq Surplus Rises, Little Goes Into Rebuilding

Silverbird
08-06-2008, 08:13 AM
New York Times
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Soaring oil prices will leave the Iraqi government with a cumulative budget surplus of as much as $79 billion by year’s end, according to an American federal oversight agency. But Iraq (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/iraq/index.html?inline=nyt-geo) has spent only a minute fraction of that on reconstruction costs, which are now largely borne by the United States......
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/06/world/middleeast/06surplus.html?ex=1218686400&en=3e0da2dd336ef65a&ei=5070

Birchtree
08-06-2008, 09:16 AM
If your information comes from the NY Times you are better off burning it than reading it - they are so liberally slanted. Iraq will rebuild with their own money once stability returns - no sense building something if a dumb a$$ rag head is going to blow it up.

luv2read
08-06-2008, 09:25 AM
If your information comes from the NY Times you are better off burning it than reading it - they are so liberally slanted. Iraq will rebuild with their own money once stability returns - no sense building something if a dumb a$$ rag head is going to blow it up.
So WHY are we spending OUR billions doing it?????:mad:

Don't tell me we're not, because the contracts, investigations and other evidence are readily available. NY Times and other media are telling the truth.

Birchtree
08-06-2008, 09:59 AM
We are doing some of the rebuilding because we were instrumental in destroying much of the infrastructure. We are rebuilding the electricity grids and water plants and saving lives of the population in the process. Try and see the larger picture that is presented - subscribe to TWSJ for enhanced accuracy of reporting.

Silverbird
08-06-2008, 10:36 AM
WSJ version of the same story here:
Iraq Isn't Spending Oil Windfall
On Infrastructure

U.S. Says About 1%
Of $80 Billion Goes
To Roads, Bridges
By IAN TALLEY
August 6, 2008; Page A11

Iraq is generating revenue of about $80 billion a year, mainly from its vast reserves of crude oil, but spending only about 1% of the total on maintaining critical infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges and sanitation, the U.S. government auditor said.
Meanwhile, the U.S. has appropriated around $48 billion in the past several years to help reconstruction efforts, the U.S. Government Accountability Office said......

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121798557456515563.html?mod=hpp_us_whats_news

JTH
08-06-2008, 10:47 AM
80 Billion is a drop in the bucket nowdays.

I can't fault Iraq for letting us spend our money to rebuild their country that WE BOMBED.

Am I happy about it?

No I'm not, how about they spend that 80 billion to hire blackwater, so we can pull our troops out?

It'll never happen...:toung:

Birchtree
08-06-2008, 12:19 PM
The problem is that Iraq doesn't have the logistical support in place to spend their revenues yet without encouraging corruption - it just takes time to smooth things out. They are sending money to the Kurds which are fairly independent and seem to hold their own when it comes to development and the Sunni will eventually get their fair share. Even the militia Shiite will be involved to perform civilian welfare in their districts. Be patient - the Iraqis are contracting out to many international companies to help develope their oil infrastructure and someday Eden will be a sweet tourist attraction like Lebanon used to be.

luv2read
08-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Try and see the larger picture that is presented - subscribe to TWSJ for enhanced accuracy of reporting.
Why would you assume I don't read WSJ?:blink:

luv2read
08-06-2008, 12:24 PM
80 Billion is a drop in the bucket nowdays.

I can't fault Iraq for letting us spend our money to rebuild their country that WE BOMBED.

Am I happy about it?

No I'm not, how about they spend that 80 billion to hire blackwater, so we can pull our troops out?

It'll never happen...:toung:
Actually they are destroying it as fast as it's rebuilt because they aren't maintaining it. We're pouring money down a rathole.

Elgallo
08-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Or maybe use that money to help payoff student loans for those who actually graduated from college and are currently employed. We go ahead and continue to rebuild the dirt huts however. Wouldn't want them to suffer a loss to their living standard now would we!