PDA

View Full Version : Spending the Stimulus: TVs, Tuition -- and Bills

Silverbird
05-30-2008, 11:08 AM
...[r]Reality has interfered, in the form of ever-climbing food bills and $4-a-gallon gasoline. While some consumers got their dream TVs, as confirmed by a spike in April retail sales in anticipation of the economic stimulus payments, day-to-day living costs have sopped up the checks for many other early recipients and spoiled their rebate fantasies. Government figures released Friday showed consumer spending inched up just 0.2 percent in April, despite widespread anticipation of the stimulus payments sent out starting late in the month.

Based on a small but broadly diverse group of consumers who tracked their rebate spending in detail for The Associated Press, there was no mass rush to the malls for shopping sprees after the payments started showing up in bank accounts in significant numbers in May. The greater economic ramifications may not be seen for months....

http://www.cnbc.com/id/24888853

Silverbird
06-09-2008, 03:47 PM
:( Well, I guess I'm spending mine on cleaning up after the lightning struck fallen tree mess in my back yard, some of the trees were very old and too thick for non-professional chain saw work. Luckily the house and shed are fine though it took down part of my fence.

luv2read
06-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Glad to hear that everyone is OK and the residence and outbuildings did not sustain any damage. We lost 14 of 24 65-year old pecan trees to Katrina. Cleaning up and hauling off the downed trees was the worst of it, but filling in ruts and getting the acreage back in shape is a chore too. State Land Grant Program is giving away RPM trees spring and fall to replant the state. We got 71 pecans, (4 varieties) oaks, sycamores, cypress, maple, last weekend - neighborhood project. Will get live oaks and magnolias in the fall.:)