PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe anything the GOV prints?

Gumby
05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - Wholesale prices rose a smaller-than-expected 0.2% in April after seasonal adjustments, with food prices flat and energy prices falling, the Labor Department reported Tuesday.

:confused::confused::confused:

Energy prices Falling???? On what planet? :mad:
Talk about cookin' the books.

tsptalk
05-20-2008, 01:20 PM
That seasonality wording is the key. They apparently do it all the time but we never notice. They expected energy prices to go up .7% in April, but it "only" went up .5%, hence the .2% "drop".

Silverbird
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Anything seasonally smoothed makes me break out in hives. If they wanted to get rid of problems due to weather and other factors, they should forget the monthly reports and go to quarterly, without any "smoothing". Because once you start trying to factor for seasonality, you're making assumptions.

luv2read
05-20-2008, 02:21 PM
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - Wholesale prices rose a smaller-than-expected 0.2% in April after seasonal adjustments, with food prices flat and energy prices falling, the Labor Department reported Tuesday.

:confused::confused::confused:

Energy prices Falling???? On what planet? :mad:
Talk about cookin' the books.
DC is it's own planet.

XL-entLady
05-20-2008, 02:31 PM
DC is it's own planet.
How true! Is there any intelligent life on that planet?!:suspicious::nuts:

Lady

Silverbird
05-20-2008, 02:34 PM
How true! Is there any intelligent life on that planet?!:suspicious::nuts:

LadyOnly when we aren't asked to produce certain results even though reality doesn't lead to said result.:toung:

CountryBoy
05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
That seasonality wording is the key. They apparently do it all the time but we never notice. They expected energy prices to go up .7% in April, but it "only" went up .5%, hence the .2% "drop".

Nail meet hammer. That's exactly how all politicians talk and justify programs or spending. We always called it sandbagging. :D If a program doesn't get all the money they want the say the program is getting a reduction in funding, when in actuality, it just not as much money as they wanted to give away. :laugh:

I'm for the ROTH in case we're being watched. ;)

CB

luv2read
05-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Me TOO!:D