PDA

View Full Version : TSP Quandary

Fred Hurd
05-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi Everyone - I retired under CSRS about a year ago with about $175K in my TSP mostly in the stock funds. A year later and $10K down I am wondering what to do. I am 68 and wanting to use the money now as supplemental income. Do I leave it in TSP and hope the stocks come back, wait for the opportunity to roll into a Roth IRA in 2010, or roll into a traditional IRA now before the stocks get worse? Any suggestions from your experience?

Birchtree
05-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Stocks are not going to get worse - be right and sit tight. Stay on the train for the next 4,000 points is what I plan to do.

nnuut
05-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Welcome to the Message Board Fred Hurd. There is loads of info on the message board, and some of the members are doing well this year in spite of the economy. Read and research the forums, great info.
Norman:D

Guest2
05-07-2008, 08:49 AM
In my Humble Opinion (IMHO) all TSP Stock Funds are down for the year
approximately -2.5% YTD. The economy is expected to show a rebound
during the 2nd half of 2008. But there are always down sides to consider.
Being 10k down hurts, but today your not looking back. Your going to read
until your eyes bleed, your gonna teach that old dog a new trick or two.
But most of all, your gonna have fun doing it. After all the years you put
into Gov't Service, you deserve it ! So take your time, explore the many
resources within this web site. Ask a ton of questions and make informed
decisions. Just remember the basics still hold true, a diversified portfolio to
maximize gains and minimize loses is still best.

Good Luck and Welcome To The Madness :nuts:

EW_ret
05-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Welcome to our forums. You can join our Automated Tracker once you have 10 posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules in my signature. Click Members Ranking (http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_user_balance_all.php) to see the current return rankings of our members.