PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Catch

Asylum
04-16-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm totally addicted but my wife HATES it.

Funny thing is that pretty much every episode is the same.. rough seas, tossing and pulling in crap pots, the skipper on the radio with other skippers, and the deckhands giving the 'new guy' grief... yet i watch anyway.

Does anyone watch that show?

http://deadliestcatchtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/deadliest-catch2.jpg

camper65
04-16-2008, 10:08 AM
X Coast Guard here, Love those rough seas!!!

FUTURESTRADER
04-16-2008, 10:22 AM
ohh yeah...got as little 185 bowrider. Take it out on the Chesapeake Bay in 3-5 ft waves, small craft warnings, singing "Dead Or Alive" as I go airborn at 40 knots n crash down in through a breaker. :)

Silverbird
04-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Best thing on TV last night! (except a PBS special on health insurance around the world - which I figured wasn't what I wanted to see after work so I taped it)

I like the NW best, my sig other likes the "Crazy Like a Fox" TB, and for overall family fun there is always the CM "This is why lions eat their young".

weatherweenie
04-16-2008, 11:49 AM
I watch it from time to time. Everytime I start, I can't stop.

Funny thing is, think if you're the person pitching the idea intially. 'I'm going to video the goings on, on a crab fleet.' Now really, does that sound interesting?

Those guys work like dogs. But I was stunned last night when they said guys on one ship were going to get $90,000/each!

FUTURESTRADER
04-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Funny thing is, think if you're the person pitching the idea intially. 'I'm going to video the goings on, on a crab fleet.' Now really, does that sound interesting?

Those guys work like dogs. But I was stunned last night when they said guys on one ship were going to get $90,000/each!

It's life or death sometimes. They lost a few guys last season from another boat that went down.

"The Ice Road Truckers" and the new "Ax Men" are pretty cool and also keep you tunning in to see who might go through the ice or get mauled by a falling or run-away tree.

SkyPilot
04-16-2008, 12:23 PM
I grew up on the coast of Oregon, and worked a commercial salmon boat one summer. Nothing like the show of course, but makes me feel like I can participate vicariously. Best show on TV! Like the Ice Trucker show as well.

However, Axemen is a bit scary... worked in the lumber mills out there, and a bit in the forest. That is really dangerous. I'll keep my comfy bureacratic job, thank you! :D

James48843
04-16-2008, 02:44 PM
The reason these shows are popping up is that is costs next to nothing to produce them, while the ratings are great. Best return on investment.

Long gone are the days when TV shows will actually hire a cast, and film on a Hollywood studio set. The "Waltons" and "Happy Days" may have had some decent ratings, but they cost quite a bit relative to the advertising dollars they made.

Comparatively, "Deadliest Catch" reaps in huge audiences, for a tiny investment. Give a couple of crab guys a couple of video cameras, put a single producer and a camera guy on each boat, and then come back in a month and edit the footage.

Great money makers for the producers.

Unfortunately, does little to enhance wholesome programming for the masses.

TV will never again be like it once was.

Good night, Johnboy.

camper65
04-16-2008, 02:53 PM
gone are the days of 'Taxi", Northern Exposure,"All creatures great and small".
But I'll take "Deadlliest Catch" over "Bigest losser" every time! LOL

FUTURESTRADER
04-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Gotta love Chef Ramsey getting right in those poor folks' face. "Ohhh God, C'mon!! You stupid %$#@ imbecile!! You're as slow as a turtle giving birth!!!!"

Asylum
04-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Gotta love Chef Ramsey getting right in those poor folks' face. "Ohhh God, C'mon!! You stupid %$#@ imbecile!! You're as slow as a turtle giving birth!!!!"

I like the Beeb's Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares a lot better..

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/154/index.jsp

The best show on network TV is Two and a Half Men.

That show is simply funny as hell... i'm not sure why exactly, but it is...!

:p

http://www.tvblanket.com/image/two_and_a_half_men_tv_show.JPG

James48843
04-16-2008, 03:14 PM
You know, just talking about it makes me hungry.

I'm gonna stop by the store tonight, and see if I can find some Alaskan King Crag legs to dig into tonight- with a helping of melted butter.... MMmmm......

http://www.fishex.com/fish-market/crab/productpage-bbrkc2_.jpg

12%ayear
04-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Ax man another great show

McDuck
04-16-2008, 07:03 PM

I'm a Reno 911 fan.

http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Brad/Reno911-1.PNG

weatherweenie
04-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I like it because they say and do all the things that I would really like to say and do, but don't.

That, and there's some nice lookin women on there!

:p

http://www.tvblanket.com/image/two_and_a_half_men_tv_show.JPG

Asylum
04-17-2008, 07:24 AM
ohh yeah...got as little 185 bowrider. Take it out on the Chesapeake Bay in 3-5 ft waves, small craft warnings, singing "Dead Or Alive" as I go airborn at 40 knots n crash down in through a breaker. :)

like this?

l_8hOai9hGQ

James48843
04-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Yeh, like that.

Just to report back to you all-

last night I did in fact report directly to my local grocery store, picked up one and a half-pounds of Alaskan King Crab (at a reasonable $21 or so), boiled em up, and added a baked potato, and corn on the cob. The best part was tearing apart the claw, stabbing a fork full of that delicious tender white flakey delicacy, and dipping in melted butted, with a touch of garlic added.

Mmmmmm..... it was gooood.

My tummy says - Thanks for the great idea.

Asylum
04-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Yeh, like that.

Just to report back to you all-

last night I did in fact report directly to my local grocery store, picked up one and a half-pounds of Alaskan King Crab (at a reasonable $21 or so), boiled em up, and added a baked potato, and corn on the cob. The best part was tearing apart the claw, stabbing a fork full of that delicious tender white flakey delicacy, and dipping in melted butted, with a touch of garlic added.

Mmmmmm..... it was gooood.

My tummy says - Thanks for the great idea.

what microbrew went with that?

The HalfBreed
04-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Yep. I watch it, while eating my Alaskan King Crab Legs. LOL ~!

Better than "Lost", and some others that have no intrinsic value when it comes to Re-Runs. (i.e. America's Best Dancer/Waiter/Doctor/Bartender/Singer/Alcoholic/Federal Employee, etc):toung: