PDA

View Full Version : Business Week Online

10-28-2004, 02:22 PM
I hope you find this article relevant and helpful. If so, would it be better to post just a link? Is this an article that most would be finding and reading on their own? I am new in this forum, so I’m not sure.

Business Week Online OCTOBER 22, 2004 INVESTING Q&A

Where Politics and Portfolios Meet
S&P's Kenneth Shea sees the Street ending 2004 on a solid note, but the prospect of a Kerry victory makes it a tough call
"Moderately bullish" is the phrase used by Kenneth A. Shea, managing director of Standard & Poor's Equity Research Services, to describe the current market outlook. Although Shea notes that "it's difficult to determine the point in time when the markets will rally," he adds that S&P is predicting a gain of around 10% in the S&P 500 index over the next 12 months.

On a very near-term issue, the Presidential election, Shea points out that, historically, the stock market has done worse when an incumbent loses. In the 60 years since 1944, the S&P 500 has declined an average of 3% over the ensuing 12 months, vs. a 13% gain with an incumbent's victory.

As for stocks that look good now, Shea provides a list of names in S&P's Top 10 portfolio, culled from among more than 100 issues ranked 5-STAR or buy. That list now consists of Amgen MBNA, Burlington Northern), Ingersoll-Rand, BJ Services, Chattem, Guitar Centers of America FMC, Qualcomm, and Landstar System

Note: Kenneth Shea is a Standard & Poor's Equity Research Services analyst. He has no ownership interest in or affiliation with any of the companies under discussion in this chat. All of the views expressed in this chat accurately reflect the analyst's personal views regarding any and all of the subject securities or issuers. No part of the analyst's compensation was, is, or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendations or views expressed in this chat. For required disclosure information and price charts for all S&P STARS-ranked companies, go and click on "Investment Research" and then on "Required Disclosures & Standard & Poor's STARS vs. Closing Prices Charts."

Q: Ken, the market keeps backing and filling. Any hope for an end to this seeming paralysis?
A: S&P is moderately bullish on the U.S. equity market in light of what we believe are good economic and profit backdrops. S&P sees a solid second half for the economy, with 2004 likely to experience a fairly robust 4.5% gain in GDP growth. Operating earnings are seen rising at an impressive 21% rate this year, and projected to rise 10% more next year.

Given this favorable backdrop, the S&P 500 Index trades at a reasonable 15 times next year's projected earnings. So while it's difficult to determine the point in time when the markets will rally, it is reasonable to state that the equity markets can achieve an approximate 10% gain over the next 12 months or so.

Q: How much impact would the election of Kerry have on the markets?
A: From a historical standpoint, the S&P 500 does relatively worse when the incumbent loses. Since 1944 the S&P 500 has declined approximately 3% on average in the 12 months after an election when the incumbent loses. In contrast, the S&P 500 has risen on average by 13% in the 12 months after an incumbent's victory.

From a more fundamental point of view, the two sectors worth watching near-term are energy and health care. While energy policy will likely benefit more under a Bush Administration, due to less restrictive environmental policies, both candidates understand the need for an energy policy that encourages new discoveries and alternative energy options.

In health care, both candidates understand the need to control medical costs, but it is reasonable to say that the Bush Administration will likely be more favorable toward pharmaceutical pricing flexibility. S&P continues to recommend investors overweight energy stocks and market-weight health-care stocks. Many health-care stocks have come under pressure in recent months leading up to this election, creating an opportunity in some areas for long-term investors.

Q: ChevronTexaco is down today, along with the price of crude. What's your outlook for this and other big oil companies?
A: S&P continues to view the major integrated oil companies favorably. Energy prices are likely to ease from their current record levels over the next 12 months or so, but they are likely to remain at levels that will still provide strong opportunities for the integrated oil and gas companies to continue their generation of cash flows and strong earnings growth. What's more, S&P views these firms as having relatively conservative accounting practices and earnings of relatively high quality, meaning minimal dependence on stock-option compensation and pension-accounting-derived gains.

The current fiscal discipline exhibited by these "super majors," such as ChevronTexaco and Exxon Mobil is being applauded by investors through higher valuation multiples. Combined with above-average dividend yields, these stocks still look quite attractive. S&P has 5-STAR (buy) recommendations on ChevronTexaco and Exxon Mobil, and 4-STAR (accumulate) recommendations on Marathon Oil and Occidental Petroleum.

Q: How about those pharmas? And specifically, what is your opinion on Pfizer? Buy or sell?
A: S&P's investment outlook for pharmaceuticals is neutral. In our view, recent weaknesses in these stocks have reflected the possibility of a win by Senator Kerry in November. Kerry has called for ending certain patent-extension strategies employed by the major pharmaceutical companies; implementing measures to help states negotiate discounts from drug companies; sanctioning the reimportation of drugs from Canada and allowing the federal government to directly negotiate pricing discounts on drugs to be paid for under the Medicare drug-benefit program.

Despite these near-term uncertainties regarding pricing and patent expirations, longer-term prospects are enhanced by demographic growth in the elderly (accounting for about 33% of industry sales) and new therapeutic products from discoveries in genomics and biotechnology. S&P recommends investors accumulate the shares of Pfizer in spite of its recent weakness, owing to arguably the strongest R&D pipeline in the group.

Q: What would you advise investors who hold insurance companies like Aetna given today's debacle?
A: S&P downgraded the entire HMO group today on concerns about a combination of election uncertainty and the realistic possibility of a probe of industry practices by New York State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer. These companies have benefited in recent years from significant premium rate hikes, which could come under pressure in the near future. S&P recommends a cautious stance on this group.

Q: Back on insurance and Spitzer's probes into bid-rigging and more, how does S&P view prospects for American International Group
A: S&P continues to recommend investors accumulate the shares of American International Group. S&P's outlook for AIG, as well as for most other major insurers, is tempered by the uncertainty surrounding Spitzer's investigation. Beyond this uncertainty, however, S&P notes that AIG has two distinct competitive advantages -- namely, its financial strength (AAA S&P credit rating) and its relatively low cost structure. S&P believes that these two factors position AIG well long-term....

Q: Are you at all bullish on tech for the medium term?
A: S&P recommends investors market-weight the information technology group. Since a sell-off earlier this year, the sector has made several comeback attempts but has been unable to sustain them despite what we see as relatively good earnings growth potential, reflecting, in part, a replacement cycle for technology bought in 1999 for Y2K compliance, as well as a generally strong U.S. economy.

Q: What is your recommendation for Fannie Mae stockholders?
A: S&P continues to recommend investors avoid the shares of Fannie Mae. In a recent 8-K filing, FNM disclosed that it has been informed of eight shareholder lawsuits against the company, its CEO, and CFO. It also announced a preliminary inquiry by Ohio's attorney general on behalf of its public pension funds. After a recent report by FNM's regulator, which found violations in accounting, the shares have been poor performers. S&P believes that these serious concerns pose sufficient risk for investors to stay clear at this point.

Q: Is John a buy here?
A: S&P recommends investors accumulate the shares of Deere, as we believe that favorable conditions in many of DE's end markets will persist over the next 6 months to 12 months. As in prior industry cycles, however, S&P expects DE's shares to trade at lower p-e multiples during peak or near-peak EPS years. The shares offer above-average capital gains here.

Q: Ken, does S&P still maintain its Top 10 portfolio? If so, what stocks are in it now?
A: Yes, S&P continues to provide investors with a Top 10 portfolio, which reflects their 10 best 5-STAR recommendations from the more than 100 current 5-STARs. The stocks are as follows: Amgen, MBNA, Burlington Northern, Ingersoll-Rand, BJ Services, Chattem, Guitar Centers of America, FMC, Qualcomm and Landstar System.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/oct2004/nf20041022_8825_db006.htm (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/oct2004/nf20041022_8825_db006.htm)

tsptalk
10-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks WW. Just the link would have been fine, especially for a long article like this. But as long as you post the author and source, as you did, copying the article shouldn't be a problem.

10-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Will do just link in the future. Thank you.

Mike
10-29-2004, 03:38 AM
There's actually a company called "BJ Services"? :shock:

Forgive me, but I immediately thought of Bill Clinton when I saw that. :D

06-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Mike wrote:

Mike should not have said this.

WW must have gotten more assertive since then.

06-11-2005, 07:47 PM
They are the world wide leader in Pressure Pumping Services. :D

Pumping Services

BJ Services Company derives the majority of its worldwide revenues from Pressure Pumping Services. Our mission is to become the number one Pressure Pumping Services company in the world by providing our customers with the most advanced products, services and technology in the business. BJ Services has highly skilled, dedicated personnel. Coupling our personnel with BJ's focused nature will enable us to fulfill our vision.

Mike
06-12-2005, 11:34 PM
greg wrote:
Mike wrote:

Given the title of the article, the name of the company, and Bill Clinton's legacy, I'd say my comments are within bounds here. The fact that you bothered to respond to something that is nearly a year old goes toshowthat you have way too much time on your hands... get a life. :shock:

06-13-2005, 02:34 AM
I own BJ Services.

Wanted to opine no matter how untimely for your liking.

:)Is there a rule that posts must be within a set time period now too?

The old ones are adhered to so closely just wanted to get a ruling on that.:P

06-13-2005, 08:02 AM
greg wrote:
Mike wrote:

GREG,
What's your purposein bringingback 4 posts from October 2004 when I first joined the board? I can only see that your intention wasto cause trouble here. This also embarrasses me. I didn't understand the reference back then and still wouldn'tbut that I just asked someone for an explanation. These are schoolyard pranks of yours but if we were really in a schoolyard you wouldn't stand a chance against me. If it wasn't for the factthat this board hasa fondness for bashers, you'd be out of here. Any other board would have found ample reason to ban you. I wish you would leave this board.

The above views areIMHO and I would appreciate ifthe abovebe interpreted as such andnothing more than MHO.

mlk_man
06-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Ole Greg picking on the women again with DMA to back him up. How chivalrous. You would think with all the stocks they own and all the money they make they wouldn't have time for such manly manifestations of childish playground idiosyncrasies.

Gotta give him credit though. 383 posts in less than month. Thought the hot air was coming from the flame.....................

grandma
06-13-2005, 10:08 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/triso/grampondering.gifSo, Dma.you are saying you and Greg are the same? Greg post 6/11 @1944, then Dma@ 1947: you say that you wrote that so youcouldget a ruling on timely postings...

What W_W has to do w/all this is an unknown. She posted an article that included your businessin a top 10 listing, along w/9 other businesses. If she had linked it instead, would you have noted it? :%

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/triso/grampondering.gifWhich brings up another question: what on earth is the owner of a top 10 business doing chatting in a tsp talk board? Why would you want to take time away from ownership responsibilities to spend daily hours at a United StatesFederal Government job??

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/triso/grimace.gif- inquiring mind -

06-13-2005, 10:12 AM
I own 1200 shares.

It is down right now.

That really sucks.