PDA

View Full Version : Tibet; why should I care what goes on there?

Asylum
04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
With all the Tibet stuff in the news this month, I started wondering why I should care about it.

So I started reading about it and came accross this:

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html

Many ordinary Tibetans want the Dalai Lama back in their country, but it appears that relatively few want a return to the social order he represented. A 1999 story in the Washington Post notes that the Dalai Lama continues to be revered in Tibet, but

. . . few Tibetans would welcome a return of the corrupt aristocratic clans that fled with him in 1959 and that comprise the bulk of his advisers. Many Tibetan farmers, for example, have no interest in surrendering the land they gained during China’s land reform to the clans. Tibet’s former slaves say they, too, don’t want their former masters to return to power. “I’ve already lived that life once before,” said Wangchuk, a 67-year-old former slave who was wearing his best clothes for his yearly pilgrimage to Shigatse, one of the holiest sites of Tibetan Buddhism. He said he worshipped the Dalai Lama, but added, “I may not be free under Chinese communism, but I am better off than when I was a slave.”

Rustynutt
04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Because CNN, FOX and all major media outlets want you to believe there is bad news erupting hourly from around the globe. One glance at CNN's main page would make one think the world is coming to an end and that two faced babies are a divine prophecy being fulfilled.

I was in the Netherlands when Geert Welders "Fitna" was released.
Weeks in advance major media around the globe condemned the film, carried radical Muslim and liberal outcries against it's release, and told of the mass racial and religious implications it would create, and the riots that would ensue. All of this without one iota of the feature every being released in advance.

ISP's declined to host the video for fear of retribution, not from radical Muslims, but from their "loyal" audience, or in other words, not wanting to bite the political hand that feeds them.

But there were others that were bold and made the video available for viewing. The truth was, in The Netherlands, prominent Muslims, however disgruntled that the bashing continues, stated that nothing that isn't already known or has been seen before over major media networks or news content internet sites (is there really a difference now?) was contained in the film. My personal opinion is it was just another Michael Moore video from an older, and much more slender man.

On the day of the release I rode a bike to the market, right past many Muslims going on about their daily business. One even waited on me at the checkout without so much as a hint of them avenging with my death. They seem quite happy, going about their daily lives. Maybe they don't watch CNN. And that Ipod stuck in their ear, it's not playing the top 100 from Baghdad, to be sure.

Remember, when CNN reports 1000 protestors hang banners from the SF Bridge, the number is only about 1/30 of the number of people that attend football games on any given day around the world. But CNN will make it seem like a country ready to explode.

So just like Tibet, when I see something on CNN, or more importantly something the Bush administration has issues with, I just go about my daily business not wishing to buy that product. I refuse to be governed by media sources, and those they cater to.

Only a week later, you won't find any current articles about the video on major news sites. It was a non-event, and not worthy of follow up, according to CNN standards.

Asylum
04-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Sounds like communism is a small step UP for the common man in Tibet..

..at least he's not a slave in some serfdom anymore.

Berimbauone
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I say that if they feel they can do even better why not protest, from slavery, to a totalitarian regime to ... whats next?

fabijo
04-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Amen! Please, America. Stop letting a handful of people guide millions of people's thoughts and conversations around the nation. The news is not what's going on in the world. It's dangerous to let ourselves be guided by so few people. After years of this, it becomes too easy to depend on those few people.

Next time you watch a news story on a news channel, try to find ONE story that is just given without any opinion.

Remember, when CNN reports 1000 protestors hang banners from the SF Bridge, the number is only about 1/30 of the number of people that attend football games on any given day around the world. But CNN will make it seem like a country ready to explode.

So just like Tibet, when I see something on CNN, or more importantly something the Bush administration has issues with, I just go about my daily business not wishing to buy that product. I refuse to be governed by media sources, and those they cater to.

The HalfBreed
04-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Amen! Please, America. Stop letting a handful of people guide millions of people's thoughts and conversations around the nation. The news is not what's going on in the world. It's dangerous to let ourselves be guided by so few people. After years of this, it becomes too easy to depend on those few people.

Next time you watch a news story on a news channel, try to find ONE story that is just given without any opinion.

I thought the same thing about Bush and Cheney...... LOL !!!

And we're ALL paying for it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I guess the folks in Iraq really needed this. I never really thought 50.7%
of the population formed a "Mandate from the People" ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2004

Maybe Bush really meant "Weapons of MASS INSTRUCTION". :embarrest:

Tempest
04-19-2008, 02:27 AM
BULLETIN: There is an POWER-OFF button or you can change the channel on the TV remote.

Rustynutt
04-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Sounds like communism is a small step UP for the common man in Tibet..

..at least he's not a slave in some serfdom anymore.

Kind of an odd comparison, but the other day using Google Earth I was running up and down the west coast of Africa. Even over 50, I'm a bit naive about living standards around some parts of the world (so yes, guess it is pretty good here). Most of the villages are very clear, grass top huts making up communities, thousands of tire marks up and down the beaches make up the freeway. Then, I fly over top of where I live, the desert. Not much difference, only the water. Who knows, maybe grass huts are more comfortable in that part of the world. Knowing the poverty they must live in, it still looked pretty relaxing, next flying over a city like Chicago.

Did the same over Tibet and a few other land masses around China. It's amazing that people even live in some of those areas they are so remote. Bet they don't get CNN other than what the expats send back over to them "goonies" (sic).