PDA

View Full Version : Catch-up payments

Brett
04-07-2008, 10:57 AM
If your over 50, how many of us are taking advantage of the "Catch-Up" option?

GGal
04-07-2008, 07:22 PM
moi!

Show-me
04-07-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm 25....................and a liar.

Birchtree
04-07-2008, 08:57 PM
And if I recall - once a grunt always a grunt. Semper Fi.

Guest2
04-07-2008, 10:19 PM
If your over 50, how many of us are taking advantage of the "Catch-Up" option?

Can't afford the Property Taxes in NJ, no less max out contributions.
Catch-Up Contrib's are a fantasy to me. I'm sure there are others out
there in the same boat. I wish it were different.
:(

The HalfBreed
04-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Jersey is a Great Place...........

to be FROM. :D

Not much different than IL, but I am maxing everything, currently $20,500 if I remember correctly. I don't think I'll EVER return to Joisey tho. Most of my relatives still live in that area, but maybe Delaware (lowest overall tax burden, from what I've read). From the calculations, I can retire at age 55 with 36 yrs and live comfortably without using the TSP. Make the best of your younger years, because they (and time) can never be recouped.:blink:

Guest2
04-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Jersey is a Great Place...........to be FROM.
:D
Not much different than IL, but I am maxing everything, currently $20,500 if I remember correctly. I don't think I'll EVER return to Joisey tho. Most of my relatives still live in that area, but maybe Delaware (lowest overall tax burden, from what I've read). From the calculations, I can retire at age 55 with 36 yrs and live comfortably without using the TSP. Make the best of your younger years, because they (and time) can never be recouped.:blink:

Great advise about the "good use of time" Halfbreed. I lived in Joisey all
my life. Heck, I live in the southern part between Philly and AC. It's even
worse up north. Anyway, life has it's way of forcing alternative priorities
into ones being. You do the best you can, when you can. "20 and Out"
sounded good 18 years ago. With 17% of my base going into the TSP,
affordability (and the wife) will ultimately dictate what my reality.

wv-girl
04-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Started maxing out in 2006. Was a rough adjustment but I hung in there. I am able to retire like "now" WITH CSRS, but with the changing ways of the world, I am going to hang on a little longer. I am wondering tho, if I would be better off in a Roth than the tsp. Sure I would lose the tax deduction now, but it might turn out to be the best thing in the long run. Is anyone else considering a move like this? If so, I would appreciate your thoughts.

tia

Guest2
04-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Started maxing out in 2006. Was a rough adjustment but I hung in there. I am able to retire like "now" WITH CSRS, but with the changing ways of the world, I am going to hang on a little longer. I am wondering tho, if I would be better off in a Roth than the tsp. Sure I would lose the tax deduction now, but it might turn out to be the best thing in the long run. Is anyone else considering a move like this? If so, I would appreciate your thoughts.tia

Check your account talk thread, I had some thoughts to share.