PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know for a fact

caymanbrac12
03-27-2008, 02:01 PM
that this snail mail deal is a lock? Are they going to be able to have the software in place to lock your account or is there a chance they ( the TSP guys doing this could be slapped down by a higher power)?

Just curious because I'm transferring everything out (not for myself but a relative in the government who is in the process of retirement after 40 years) because this is worse than when the TSP was started in terms of IFT's - talking about taking a huge step back. I have seen some poorly run operations but the TSP takes the cake. Know one seems to have the ability to answer questions and this is the worse set of communications I have ever seen with absolutely no one talking to each other and you literally get 50 different answers and I thought the XLF was sh!T. This is the biggest joke I have every seen and it is not even the money because this is just a smaller portion of this person overall portfolio but the principle or lack thereof was the deciding factor.

If I had to depend on these TSP morons to decide for me what I could invest in or not as well as when - well I might have to have a little face to face time. Worst of all the diversification they call it is a complete joke. There should be at least 17 or 18 index funds to invest in that only minimally overlap even at a higher cost like emerging markets, commodities, value and growth small and midcap, etc.- you get the idea. There is no true diversification just like when REIT's for like 3 years or more were up 35 to 40%/yr. After they began to drop any fool would have gotten out but that option wasn't even on the table. Government workers are literally treated like children or worse morons who don't know EEM from EFA.:mad::cool::embarrest:

Last post.

Good luck to everyone and I hope we all get a nice 20% year end pop even though I think it is wishful thinking. :worried:

Best

Craig

ayla
03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm one of the ones who is destined to be required to submit IFT request thru snail mail beginning April 1. (April Fool's LOL).

I am also someone who is retired so I have the option to move all funds to another IRA which I'm definitely investigating. But I plan to give it a little time since I don't think you can change your mind after you've taken your money out if they later re-instate online IFT requests for everyone.

My suggestion is to give it a little time, at least past the April 9th date when comments for their proposal will be closed. I think a little patience is required right now for those of us in this category if we don't want to burn bridges.

You might consider sending a note to your congressmen specifically requesting that they help you be re-instated for online IFT requests after March 30th. That is what I plan but I haven't done yet. Hopefully soon.

I agree their management has been very poor but that is something I have grown accustomed to in Federal Service. Too much dependence on contractors and not enough in house expertise by Federal employees (because too few Federal employees hired who have the luxury to take the time to learn) typically leads to these kinds of problems. If you are one who has supported "less government", this is one of the downsides IMO (though I know there are upsides as well.)

Silverbird
03-27-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm one of the ones who is destined to be required to submit IFT request thru snail mail beginning April 1. (April Fool's LOL).

I am also someone who is retired so I have the option to move all funds to another IRA which I'm definitely investigating. But I plan to give it a little time since I don't think you can change your mind after you've taken your money out if they later re-instate online IFT requests for everyone.

My suggestion is to give it a little time, at least past the April 9th date when comments for their proposal will be closed. I think a little patience is required right now for those of us in this category if we don't want to burn bridges.

You might consider sending a note to your congressmen specifically requesting that they help you be re-instated for online IFT requests after March 30th. That is what I plan but I haven't done yet. Hopefully soon.

I agree their management has been very poor but that is something I have grown accustomed to in Federal Service. Too much dependence on contractors and not enough in house expertise by Federal employees (because too few Federal employees hired who have the luxury to take the time to learn) typically leads to these kinds of problems. If you are one who has supported "less government", this is one of the downsides IMO (though I know there are upsides as well.)

Actually in this case, they can't be Federal employees because then they would be handling their own retirement and thus would possibly be biased to run the program to their own personal gain. That's why there's a seperate group for TSP. So there's some legal reason for TSP management not to be made up of Federal employees, I don't know the exact wording but that's the gist of it...

nnuut
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
that this snail mail deal is a lock? Are they going to be able to have the software in place to lock your account or is there a chance they ( the TSP guys doing this could be slapped down by a higher power)?

Just curious because I'm transferring everything out (not for myself but a relative in the government who is in the process of retirement after 40 years) because this is worse than when the TSP was started in terms of IFT's - talking about taking a huge step back. I have seen some poorly run operations but the TSP takes the cake. Know one seems to have the ability to answer questions and this is the worse set of communications I have ever seen with absolutely no one talking to each other and you literally get 50 different answers and I thought the XLF was sh!T. This is the biggest joke I have every seen and it is not even the money because this is just a smaller portion of this person overall portfolio but the principle or lack thereof was the deciding factor.

If I had to depend on these TSP morons to decide for me what I could invest in or not as well as when - well I might have to have a little face to face time. Worst of all the diversification they call it is a complete joke. There should be at least 17 or 18 index funds to invest in that only minimally overlap even at a higher cost like emerging markets, commodities, value and growth small and midcap, etc.- you get the idea. There is no true diversification just like when REIT's for like 3 years or more were up 35 to 40%/yr. After they began to drop any fool would have gotten out but that option wasn't even on the table. Government workers are literally treated like children or worse morons who don't know EEM from EFA.:mad::cool::embarrest:

Last post.

Good luck to everyone and I hope we all get a nice 20% year end pop even though I think it is wishful thinking. :worried:

Best

Craig
Whoa! Hey don't leave. You are one of the really savy ones!! Stick around and help us out!3621

ayla
03-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Actually in this case, they can't be Federal employees because then they would be handling their own retirement and thus would possibly be biased to run the program to their own personal gain. That's why there's a seperate group for TSP. So there's some legal reason for TSP management not to be made up of Federal employees, I don't know the exact wording but that's the gist of it...

I thought that somewhere there must be Federal Employees handling the contractual issues (though I know the board is appointed.). Bottom line -- too little monitoring which is rampant everywhere I worked. Not enough time for those who were so inclined to become knowledgeable like James unless they did it in their spare time.

p.s. I know the ETAC representative for DOD is a Federal Employee, possibly others. I bet she would laugh if she was asked how much time she allocated to learning the kind of details that James has surfaced in contradicting the proposal. And not because she is incompetent, simply because she has little time for "learning" such things, just speculation on my part, I know...

caymanbrac12
03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Quote" My heart aches - for the pets.:(:worried:

Can we help? Contacts in blue.

Quote:
Foreclosing on Fido
Financially overwhelmed owners abandon homes, with pets still inside
By Jennifer Waters, MarketWatch
Last update: 7:31 p.m. EDT March 27, 2008
CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- In the swank Country Club area of Anthem, Ariz., Barbara Ward-Windgassen's rescue group has saved a bichon frise, Lhasa apso and shih tzu -- some with their leashes still on -- after their owners had abandoned them in their foreclosed high-priced homes.
She's also helped find new homes for a rottweiler and pit bull that were being cared for over the fence by neighbors for nearly two months after the family left them in the back yard when their house was taken back by the bank.
Call it reckless abandonment. Shelters and animal rescue organizations across the country are packed cage-to-cage with dogs and cats, even birds and reptiles, that have been ditched or dropped off as scores of foreclosed-upon homeowners relocate. It is a disturbing trend and a sign of the tough economic times that has prompted a number of organizations to form hotlines for pet foster homes and to implore pet owners -- or what the industry calls "pet parents" -- to seek help for their animals before they head off.
"There are a lot of people who are just walking away and leaving their pets behind, which breaks everyone's heart," said Windgassen, the president of Anthem Pets, a nonprofit animal welfare organization in her community.
The number of abandoned pure-bred dogs in her neighborhood alone has jumped 10-fold just since Christmas. "It just boggles my mind," she said. "It's cutting across all income levels and age levels."
Owners surrender their pets for a variety of reasons, ranging from allergies to plain disinterest. And there's no law that says people have to be honest about why they're giving up their pets (though there are laws in many states that prohibit pet abandonment).
There are no national statistics on pet abandonment or on the number of pets found in vacant properties. But Stephanie Shain, director or outreach for the Humane Society of the United States, said shelters are reporting full capacity and rescue organizations tell of sharper increases in the numbers of animals coming in.
"The economic times are making everyone pull their belts in a little tighter and people are having trouble taking care of their pets or keeping them if they've lost their home," she said. As consumers face foreclosures they often move first to rental apartments or homes that won't allow pets. They're also likely to give their pets up if they find themselves imposing on a family member for housing.
No pets allowed
Rick Johnson, the director at the Sacramento Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in California, has found a "marked increase" in the number of drop offs to his center in recent months that he's attributing to what have become called "foreclosure pets." Last December, Johnson said he had 176 pets on board compared with 78 the year before.
"We're up about 20% this year over the same period last year at this point and we have been identifying foreclosures" as a prime reason, he said. Of those who say they are moving -- and willing to talk about it -- one in four admit they are leaving their pet behind because they're losing their homes and relocating to a leased unit that won't allow animals.
"Most people are pretty embarrassed when they come or certainly distraught over having to give up that animal," Johnson said. Some dogs, for example, are 10 years old or older, and have been with the owners their entire lives. "The pain is real for those people."
Vivian Kiggins, executive director of the Liberty Humane Society in New Jersey, said her center has an extraordinarily large number of mature cats in need of adoption now. That's atypical of most early springs that are relatively quiet until the "kitten season" kicks in.
"We should be at a low point right now, but we're packed with adult cats," she said, noting that it could be a reflection of the economy.
"We've had people say they can't afford their pets and we do everything in our power to make sure that they can keep them with free-food programs and low-cost veterinarian appointment opportunities," she said.
In need of funding
Shelters and rescue centers often rely on donations for their programs and are stepping up efforts to increase giving. In Delaware, GOP Rep. Mike Castle has launched a three-week drive with the Food Bank of Delaware called "Donating Food to Fight Foreclosure." The campaign -- whose mascot is a 1-year-old homeless Chihuahua named Sasha -- seeks donations of all kinds of nonperishable foods and pet food.
The Humane Society, which cares for some 8 million pets annually, is starting a fund that will provide grants to animal shelters and rescuers to help them keep up with requests for help. "Their resources are getting tapped," Shain said.
It's also launching awareness programs to promote its food-assistance and foster programs as well as other plans to support animal-friendly help groups.
Meanwhile, the 1-800-Save-A-Pet.com Web site is setting up an online database on which people can offer to provide foster care for animals whose owners may not be able to keep them for as long as a year.
"It can work if it's done properly and the people who are fostering the animals understand they are providing a temporary home," said David Meyer, president of the nonprofit adoption group. More than 5,000 animal shelters post pets for adoption on the Save-A-Pet site.
Compelling pictures
Meyer, who was among those involved in finding families for pets left homeless amid the destruction and flooding in New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina, said this latest wave of needy pets is as great a concern but without the heart-wrenching pictures that motivate the greater public.
"The message hasn't gotten out," he said. "When Katrina happened people were seeing images in their homes of pets being rescued in boats in New Orleans. There was a dramatic message that got out. It was a clear and compelling issue and people understood that there was a need to provide for these pets."
"This is like a silent, creeping flood that has moved across the country but has not created the images that has spurred the public into action," he said. "But it's still an imminent crisis." quote"

My father and I began taking in chowchows as a rescue league and now we have other animal with us and I spend 10 to 13 hours administering them and I couldn't be happier.
I couldn't do what I do to help out if it weren't for my father's financial expertise who was on this website as wht00ss who devoted his life to helping not only animals but people in needed and was lucky enough to accumulate monies to help - it never seems to be enough but he contributed what he could which from my perspective put alot of his friends in his financial world to shame.
For fiscal year 2007 we contributed over 1.2 million with only 8% going to administration costs - we had some of the best volunteers from dog walkers to vets whom we could not do what we are doing without them. We tried to evenly distribute to some of the less fortunate animal shelters who needed money the most. The expenses involved in this undertaking is unbelievable when you add it up but I will ensure that my father's wishes are carried out - wishes that strongly are blended with mine. I learned alot from him about giving to the less fortunate which I will always be greatful to him to the day I die. It's not like we have money to burn but what we have we try to use wisely.

As a side note just for clarification I was just emphasising the importance of diversification and how L funds are appropriate for some but are nothing more than a mix of the same 5 separate funds already availble to us so it's just a fools game to me with no increase in diversification. As I stated before just for novices even Rick Edelman recognizes the importance of a multitude (17 or 18) of funds even with higher fees to be made available to people who have a basic grasp of fundamental and technical analysis of funds and stocks and people who are not comfortable with these choice can stick to the L funds. Unfortunately just a pipe dream.

These 5 funds overall very little in the way of diversification but I'm not giving away secrets here.

Greg

EW_ret
03-31-2008, 11:11 AM
This is the message I received when attempting to make an IFt at 12:03 pm ET today:

The following errors have been encountered:

Attention: Your account has been restricted because you made more than three interfund transfers in February 2008. The TSP informed you of this restriction by certified letter (http://www.tsp.gov/general/restricted/IFT-letter.pdf) dated March 13, 2008. Consequently, you may not request an interfund transfer using the TSP web site. Instead, you must request your IFT by mail using an Investment Allocation (http://www.tsp.gov/general/restricted/TSP-50.pdf) form.

This confirms that TSP is blocking accounts for the 579.

clester
03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Ditto!:((( for me.

Guest2
03-31-2008, 12:11 PM
EW_ret & Clester, see my response here:

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showpost.php?p=158011&postcount=676

pigeonguy
04-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know if the phone line can be used or if the only way to initiate an IFT is strictly by mail?

thanks,

Mark - pigeonguy
locked out for making 4 xfers - none of them large & none to/from I (the problem child) so these guys act just like fed bureaucrats even if they aren't

pigeonguy
04-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Does anyone realize that the mail option is permanent?

FUTURESTRADER
04-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Are you asking if we know or are you informing us that it IS permanent?

BlueMax
04-02-2008, 04:17 PM

According to TSP Board, the mail option is in place until the WEB software is in place to limit ALL TSPers. Probably May 2008 at the soonest, but most likely later.

pigeonguy
04-02-2008, 04:22 PM
that's not what the "service reps" at the thriftline have been told. According to the guy that I just got off the phone with, he said that the mail option is permanent.

I'm hoping he's mistaken. :confused:

Mark

FUTURESTRADER
04-02-2008, 04:47 PM
that's not what the "service reps" at the thriftline have been told. According to the guy that I just got off the phone with, he said that the mail option is permanent.

I'm hoping he's mistaken. :confused:

Mark

I'm hoping that's a mistake as well. I've been afraid they might try to do that tho. But that really would be draconian. Especially since we can't leave them for another 'provider'. Other funds that TSP like to compare themselves to, when its convienent, could never get away with something like that.

James48843
04-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Speaking of "Foreclosure Pets":

Let me introduce you to "EEDY" (pronounced Eeee- Deee):

Eedy is a mix of Chow and golden lab. We took her in this past January, from the local http://lastchancerescue.org shelter here near my home.

She is seven years old, and came from a home where the family (mom, dad, and two kids) had their home foreclosed after he (white collar engineer with 15 years) was laid off from a major auto company.

Michigan is now 6th in the nation in foreclosures. Our county's foreclosure rate doubled last year, and that was double over the year before. Our unemployment rate for even white collar college educated is out of this world, and we never recovered after 9/11.

Eedy was with us for two months- we served as "foster parents" for her, and then was adopted by a new family about a month ago. We were honored, however, to get Eedy back for ten days, when the new family went on vacation in Florida for ten days.

Why anyone would think of leaving their dog for ten days amazes me. To me, dogs are family members, and my regular dog (Jake, seen below) goes with me regardless.

But hey, they have Eedy back now.

(Although when they came back to pick her up, Eedy obviously knew she had a better deal here, and really didn't want to go with them. :cheesy:)

James48843
04-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Here is Jake, my second-born.

I got him from Last Chance rescue too, but I'm not giving him away to anyone. He's a keeper.

Jake has "personality".