PDA

View Full Version : Will Rev. Wright hurt Obama?

12%ayear
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM
IMO..anyone that says "God Damn America" should leave this great country of ours. How could Obama attend a church over 20 years and not hear that negative spew from Rev. Wright. After hearing those comments, I will vote for anyone but Obama.

12%ayear
03-27-2008, 09:55 AM
The irrepressible Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. is at it again, this time taking aim at Italians -- expounding a two millenium grudge against the sons and daughters of Rome -- and their (allegedly) breath-altering prediliction for scampi and pesto.
From the Wright-written eulogy for scholar Asa Hilliard in the Dec. 2007 edition of the Trumpet magazine: "(Jesus') enemies had their opinion about Him... The Italians for the most part looked down their garlic noses at the Galileans."
After calling Jesus's crucifixion "a public lynching Italian style" executed in "Apartheid Rome," he goes on to claim that white supremicists run the U.S. government:
"The government runs everything from the White House to the schoolhouse, from the Capitol to the Klan, white supremacy is clearly in charge, but Asa, like Jesus, refused to be defined by an oppressive government because Asa got his identity from an Omnipotent God."
All this was written before his friend and former parishoner vaulted to the front of the Democratic pack -- and before Obama denounced his previous comments on race, AIDS, etc.
-- Glenn Thrush
http://weblogs.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/politics/blog/2008/03/rev_wrights_italian_job_hold_t.html

12%ayear
03-27-2008, 09:57 AM
The irrepressible Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. is at it again, this time taking aim at Italians -- expounding a two millenium grudge against the sons and daughters of Rome -- and their (allegedly) breath-altering prediliction for scampi and pesto.
From the Wright-written eulogy for scholar Asa Hilliard in the Dec. 2007 edition of the Trumpet magazine: "(Jesus') enemies had their opinion about Him... The Italians for the most part looked down their garlic noses at the Galileans."
After calling Jesus's crucifixion "a public lynching Italian style" executed in "Apartheid Rome," he goes on to claim that white supremicists run the U.S. government:
"The government runs everything from the White House to the schoolhouse, from the Capitol to the Klan, white supremacy is clearly in charge, but Asa, like Jesus, refused to be defined by an oppressive government because Asa got his identity from an Omnipotent God."
All this was written before his friend and former parishoner vaulted to the front of the Democratic pack -- and before Obama denounced his previous comments on race, AIDS, etc.
-- Glenn Thrush
http://weblogs.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/politics/blog/2008/03/rev_wrights_italian_job_hold_t.html
I am offended by those comments. Being Italian-American.:mad:

The HalfBreed
03-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Rev. Wright does not preach those sorts of things on a daily basis, as these small snippets are only part and parcel of the 20+ years of his speaking.

I'm sure these things are offensive to many, but, how many of us have "Friends, relatives, and Religious people" in our lives that have not uttered words or sentiments similar to these ? I would have to distance myself from nearly ALL of my friends, and work associates at this rate.

OBama has a mind of his own, and is eloquent and smart as well. Of course, there are those who would not vote for OBama, even if he parted the red sea.

Some folks will have small minds, regardless...........

12%ayear
03-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Rev. Wright does not preach those sorts of things on a daily basis, as these small snippets are only part and parcel of the 20+ years of his speaking.

I'm sure these things are offensive to many, but, how many of us have "Friends, relatives, and Religious people" in our lives that have not uttered words or sentiments similar to these ? I would have to distance myself from nearly ALL of my friends, and work associates at this rate.

OBama has a mind of his own, and is eloquent and smart as well. Of course, there are those who would not vote for OBama, even if he parted the red sea.

Some folks will have small minds, regardless........... Rev. Wright is a racist and the stuff that comes out of that mouth needs a bar of soap. Now he is going after Israel. http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/03/28/church_newsletters_fuel_controversy_over_obamas_fo rmer_pastor/ I am sorry if I had a friend who made statements like that ,I would feel very uncomfortable and stay away. BTW, he would not be called a friend. Obama is turning many people off with being associated with Rev. Wright.

Steadygain
03-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Our opinion of any politician will be reflected if we are open to discussing our views. No matter what that opinion is - we will undoubtedly lay out evidence that supports our view - and expect others to accept it (or buy into it).

The basis of this Thread appears to convince everyone that OBAMA is the wrong choice - although the reference "Will Rev. Wright hurt Obama?" sounds innocent enough.

To address what appears to be the "true basis of this thread" - I would say that Rev. Wright will not hurt Obama directly, because Obama undoubtedly made it very clear that some of the Rev.'s distorted views have no reflection on his personal views.

If we take into consideration what Obama declared in relation to this matter - Obama can still regard him as a friend, despite making it very clear that his personal views do not in any way, shape, or form coincide with some of the Rev's stated beliefs. I personally see this as a TREMENDOUS STRENGTH - as it is the most solid declaration possible that "although your beliefs and your views are very different from mine - I can still be your friend and openly admit I respect our relationship". Not many people have the ability to do this - let alone openly make it known.

Indirectly I believe Rev. Wright will definately hurt Obama - because the negative sentiment associated with Rev. Wright will be thrown on Obama in effort to discredit him and turn others against him.

Let me make something very clear - I am in no way saying I support Obama, Clinton, or anyone else. My political view - and who I vote for is a private issue.

Asylum
03-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Who cares about all boring politics stuff???

This is a church i wanna visit.. :nuts:

http://www.jcsgirls.com/photos.cfm (http://www.jcsgirls.com/photos.cfm)

Guest2
03-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Who cares about all boring politics stuff???

This is a church i wanna visit.. :nuts:

http://www.jcsgirls.com/photos.cfm (http://www.jcsgirls.com/photos.cfm)

Hal-Lay-Luya

Asylum
03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Hal-Lay-Luya

WWJD??!!!

:D

Asylum
03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
-double post-

James48843
03-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Should have given a "don't open on government computers" warning on that one. Now I have to clear my cache, and hope no one notices.

Asylum
03-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Should have given a "don't open on government computers" warning on that one. Now I have to clear my cache, and hope no one notices.

i think you'll be ok.. no nudity, just ministry.

However, i'll mark it as *Marginally NSFW*

-edit: i cant edit the original post.. can a mod mark it as such for me?

12%ayear
04-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I am starting to lean towards Obama. After that comeback at Hillary saying she should not step out of the race. :) Class act. Obama is getting my vote.

James48843
04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Aw common James...You and I work for the same people..if it was too naughty, it would have been blocked..:rolleyes:

I wasn't commenting on Rev Wright, I was commenting on the JCS girls one.

And no, they don't block. Instead, they just go after people.

Steadygain
04-02-2008, 05:11 PM
I am starting to lean towards Obama. After that comeback at Hillary saying she should not step out of the race. :) Class act. Obama is getting my vote.

I honestly don't know who I'm voting for - but I would very much like to see someone willing to make "a lot of changes" to the usual BS that just keeps floating around over and over throughout the years. Will probably side with Obama or Clinton mainly because I want the Iraq War to end and am convinced the other Party will keep it going on forever. Obama has a whole lot of solid backing from very impressive individuals (retired generals and the such) which means a lot to me (as a veteran). But women's minds are wired different and in a big way - I wouldn't mind seeing a woman in office. At this point she comes across more and more like the typical politician who says a bunch of horse**** geared for each place she goes; and the more I see that is all the more I see the standard politician.

Time will tell - still weighing things out

James48843
04-02-2008, 05:21 PM
This Message Edited To Prevent Hatch Act Violatons.

Miss_Piggy
04-02-2008, 07:55 PM
MY POLITICAL http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/mptsp/forum/2cents.gif

First of all, after reading this thread I was wondering if the video DennisFAA posted re: the Honorable James David Manning’s philosophy and rantings might be confused with the Reverend Wright’s frequently publicized video re: 9/11. Just for the record: Dennis’s video re: James David Manning’s ministry has nothing to do with the Reverend Wright.

Secondly, the first thought that came to my mind listening to the Reverend Wright’s video about “9/11 and the chickens have come home to roost,” was that I agreed with him in the sense that the US’s foreign policy has not shown any consistency in the last several decades nor has it exhibited any maturity inline with our original Constitution nor our American values.

Lastly, I fear Obama’s campaign of “Change” is just words and he doesn’t have the gravitas or ability to actually effect change. I wonder if his many recent endorsements are being made by persons whose intentions are to be appointed important positions within his Administration.

Along with these fears, I’m tending towards Hillary because I sincerely believe she is the most intelligent and despite what others say that her heart is in the right place when it comes to America’s future. I fear most having another incompetent delegator like Bush in charge of running our country. I think Obama is going to have to delegate important responsibilities to others who are older, wiser and more experienced than he is. I believe Hillary has the critical ability to make the wiser and more intelligent decisions when it comes to determining who is most qualified to implement and manage the most important Programs and Policies of the United States of America.

I welcome others’ ideas, thoughts and any positive criticisms re: the above. Please no political bashing simply because you see things differently.

PS I realize my calling Bush incompetent may be considered “political bashing.” Therefore, you are allowed to sneak in one political bash with your comments.

Miss_Piggy
04-02-2008, 08:19 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/mptsp/smileys/lol/23_2_16.gif

Asylum
04-02-2008, 08:58 PM
not a nickel's worth of difference between any of them in my opinion... and i dont mean that in a good way.

:p

Miss_Piggy
04-02-2008, 09:17 PM
not a nickel's worth of difference between any of them in my opinion... and i dont mean that in a good way.

You know I was screaming your exact sentiment out loud a couple of months ago. But now that we have to choose: what to do... what to do??

Viva_La_Migra
04-02-2008, 09:40 PM
MY POLITICAL http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/mptsp/forum/2cents.gif

First of all, after reading this thread I was wondering if the video Dennis posted re: the Honorable James David Manning’s philosophy and rantings might be confused with the Reverend Wright’s frequently publicized video re: 9/11. Just for the record: Dennis’s video re: James David Manning’s ministry has nothing to do with the Reverend Wright.

Secondly, the first thought that came to my mind listening to the Reverend Wright’s video about “9/11 and the chickens have come home to roost,” was that I agreed with him in the sense that the US’s foreign policy has not shown any consistency in the last several decades nor has it exhibited any maturity inline with our original Constitution nor our American values.

Lastly, I fear Obama’s campaign of “Change” is just words and he doesn’t have the gravitas or ability to actually effect change. I wonder if his many recent endorsements are being made by persons whose intentions are to be appointed important positions within his Administration.

Along with these fears, I’m tending towards Hillary because I sincerely believe she is the most intelligent and despite what others say that her heart is in the right place when it comes to America’s future. I fear most having another incompetent delegator like Bush in charge of running our country. I think Obama is going to have to delegate important responsibilities to others who are older, wiser and more experienced than he is. I believe Hillary has the critical ability to make the wiser and more intelligent decisions when it comes to determining who is most qualified to implement and manage the most important Programs and Policies of the United States of America.

I welcome others’ ideas, thoughts and any positive criticisms re: the above. Please no political bashing simply because you see things differently.

PS I realize my calling Bush incompetent may be considered “political bashing.” Therefore, you are allowed to sneak in one political bash with your comments.
I am not an Obama support, nor am I a Hillary supporter, but I find it interesting that Hillary supporters cite Obama's age as a handicapp. Obama will be a year older at the start of his term, if elected President, than wild Bill was when he became President. Are Hill's supporters saying that it was a mistake to have elected Billy President at the age he was when he was elected?

I do agree that Obama's "change for change's sake" is a lot of hot air. Then again, Hillary changes her message depending upon the audience, and McCain is a Democrat who wears an elephant lapel pin. How he secured the nomination of the Republican party, I'll never understand, but I digress. :embarrest:

The bottom line for me is, no matter which of the three Democrats wins the Presidency, he or she will need to be tempered by a Congress that has a slight conservative edge. I say a slight conservative edge, because given the power, the ultra conservatives go out of their everlovin' minds! :nuts: I like a do nothing Congress, as long as the budget gets passed and my paychecks keep coming in! :D

BlueMax
04-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Where's Ross Pero or Ralph Nader when we need them?

Just kidding, but this elections choices sure leave a lot to be desired!!

Asylum
04-03-2008, 09:07 PM
No Romney, NO CARE!!!

Asylum
04-04-2008, 04:16 PM
IMO..anyone that says "God Damn America" should leave this great country of ours. How could Obama attend a church over 20 years and not hear that negative spew from Rev. Wright. After hearing those comments, I will vote for anyone but Obama.

Jeremiah Wright

In 1961, a young African-American man, after hearing President John F. Kennedy's challenge to, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country," gave up his student deferment, left college in Virginia and voluntarily joined the Marines.

In 1963, this man, having completed his two years of service in the Marines, volunteered again to become a Navy corpsman. (They provide medical assistance to the Marines as well as to Navy personnel.)

The man did so well in corpsman school that he was the valedictorian and became a cardiopulmonary technician. Not surprisingly, he was assigned to the Navy's premier medical facility, Bethesda Naval Hospital, as a member of the commander in chief's medical team, and helped care for President Lyndon B. Johnson after his 1966 surgery. For his service on the team, which he left in 1967, the White House awarded him three letters of commendation.

Still doesnt excuse him though.. and he should know better

12%ayear
04-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Jeremiah Wright

Still doesnt excuse him though.. and he should know better
agree

Miss_Piggy
04-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I voted for Perot and I'd take Nader today. :nuts:

Who hasn't cursed out a loved one at some point in their life - parent, sibling, spouse, child or friend? :embarrest: