PDA

View Full Version : TSP Radio Interviews

James48843
03-23-2008, 03:45 AM
Here is TSP's Tracey Ray, talking on the radio:

http://federalnewsradio.com/emedia/111801.mp3

In this interview, she talks about how important it is to watch the market.

She says "It's nicer to be moving your money from stocks into fixed income vehicles, because you retire when your money is higher than when it is lower..."

Radio host- "So no matter what's going on, the bottom line right now is just hold still? "

Ray: " Uh, uh, well, that's what,uh...... the long term return of the market would say to you that that would be the right thing to do. We don't like to provide advice to our, to our clients. We do educate, do educate..."

Radio host: "Education being don't start freaking out and trading and selling and stuff cause you're just chasing the market at this point? "

Ray: "Right! Exactly, Exactly. "

James48843
03-23-2008, 03:51 AM
Also last week, Dallas Morning News Personal Finance Columnist Scott Burns talks about the TSP having the lowest costs of any retirement fund out there:

(18 megs, Mike Causey/Francis Rose does this interview: )

http://icestream.bonnint.net:8000/dc/fnr/your_turn/!YOUR_TURN_03-19-2008.mp3

Scott Burns isn't a fed, but is a big fan, and writes about the TSP regularly.

Burns says people are too cautious.

tsptalk
03-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Radio host- "So no matter what's going on, the bottom line right now is just hold still? "

Ray: " Uh, uh, well, that's what,uh...... the long term return of the market would say to you that that would be the right thing to do. We don't like to provide advice to our, to our clients. We do educate, do educate..."

Radio host: "Education being don't start freaking out and trading and selling and stuff cause you're just chasing the market at this point? "

Ray: "Right! Exactly, Exactly. "
I've always said that I don't believe it's the TSP or the gov't's job to educate us on investing, but they claim they do educate us? Did I miss something?

Guest2
03-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I've always said that I don't believe it's the TSP or the gov't's job to educate us on investing, but they claim they do educate us? Did I miss something?

You didn't miss a thing, pathetic. Ray keeps talking about "Long Term" while ignoring the pre-retiree's out there. I guess they don't count.
I can't recover from loses this close to retirement, so she wants me in the L-Income Fund. BS

Silverbird
03-25-2008, 02:45 PM
That's silly, currently, L-Income is a loser. Even defaulting to G is a better idea!

[Even for us long termers, sitting in L2030 (which is supposed to be my choice) would have been a bad idea for Q4 2007 - Q1 2008.:worried:]

Guest2
03-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Even for us long termers, sitting in L2030 (which is supposed to be my choice) would have been a bad idea for Q4 2007 - Q1 2008.:worried:

The goal behind the L Funds is to recover from Bear Markets and Major
Corrections over time. Time that I don't have. If that option was available
to me in 1990, I might have taken advantage of it. but not in Q4 and Q1 of
this year, as you so eliquently stated!