PDA

View Full Version : The "Think Tank".

James48843
03-14-2008, 08:19 AM
This thread is for comments, ideas, etc. about "Thinking about TSP" in a techincal way. Perhaps to think about what TSP was intended for, what strategies one can think of in a freeform way, that points out where we can influence the Thrift Board in other ways.

First link, for you reading and digestion, and then to "Think Tank" about, is this:

The original "bid" for the contract for administering the "I" fund. Issued in 1999. Read it, then think about where we are today, and then think about if Barclays, and the Thrift Board, are meeting the goals as outlined in the original bid specification, and, while you are at it, what the proposed limits would mean to Barclay's ability to meet this contract specification:

http://www.frtib.gov/pdf/FOIA/TIB-99-R-01.pdf

Just food for thought, in the "Think Tank".

James48843
03-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Think Tank action item:

Think about this:

If you really want to throw them a loop- think about this:

This year, the average TSPTALK member is beating the S&P 500. As of today, 143 out of 173 are beating the S&P 500.

Now, take that away.

Envision that no one beats the S&P500 because they lock people in to the G fund on after the second move.

So now people will have WORSE performance than the S&P, as we all know that the S&P bounces back before the end of the month in the majority of the month.

Now understand that TSP funds are taxable when withdrawn.
Now calculate the lost earnings on the U.S. Treasury, when all those TSPSHAREHOLDERS don't pay taxes because they did not earn as much .

Now run that out over their liftimes.

Question for you to THINK TANK about:

How many BILLIONS in lost revenue to the U.S. Treasury will that work out to?

nnuut
03-14-2008, 02:04 PM
I think I'm going to get tanked!:D
That's a good Question James, let me get out my calculator.

James48843
03-14-2008, 10:22 PM
[Federal Register: March 10, 2008 (Volume 73, Number 47) (http://regulations.justia.com/register/2008/march/10/)]
[Notices]
[Page 12735-12736]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr10mr08-58]

================================================== =====================
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FEDERAL RETIREMENT THRIFT INVESTMENT BOARD

Sunshine Act; Notice of Meeting

Time and Date: 9 a.m. (Eastern Time), March 17, 2008.

Place: 4th Floor Conference Room, 1250 H Street, NW., Washington, DC

Status: Parts will be open to the public and parts closed to the
public.

[[Page 12736]]

Matters to be Considered:

Parts Open to the Public

1. Approval of the minutes of the February 19, 2008 Board member
meeting.
2. Thrift Savings Plan activity report by the Executive Director.
a. Monthly Participant Activity Report.
b. Monthly Investment Performance Report.
c. Legislative Report.

Parts Closed to the Public

3. Procurement.
4. Personnel.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Thomas J. Trabucco, Director, Office
of External Affairs, (202) 942-1640.

Dated: March 6, 2008.
Thomas K. Emswiler,
Secretary, Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board.
[FR Doc. 08-1004 Filed 3-6-08; 3:58pm]

BILLING CODE 6760-01-P

James48843
03-22-2008, 07:15 AM
1. Put actual numbers to it. The thrift board has shown slides saying that someone in the area of 400 to 600 million was being held every day in the liquidity pool slush fund waiting for the three day period to clear.

2. When you swag a number out of that- send it in to the federal register comment fax number.

alevin
03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
New idea how to get Congressional oversight committee members to pay attention and look deeper! Send the TSP petition to all the members of the TSP congressional oversight committee along with facts and figures letter, and send petition and letter to DOL undersecretary responsible for TSP oversight too (don't know who that is but its somebody).

I got idea from Karl Denninger over at Market Ticker, from something he's working on.....http://financialpetition.org/petition-impeach.shtml. Link is embedded in his article :
http://market-ticker.denninger.net/2008/03/articles-of-impeachment-bear-stearns.html

or are we already working on that concept and I didn't realize it? I was thinking the petition was just intended for FRTIB....