PDA

View Full Version : The end of the Bull Market?

Asylum
03-03-2008, 11:37 AM
:(

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/29/magazines/fortune/bull_market.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008030303

Barring a miracle - or the creation of a New Math of the market variety - there's no way we'll ever see a bull market along the lines of what so many of us grew up with. During that enchanted period, the boring old S&P returned more than 19% a year. When you include compounding, your money more than doubled every four years. Pretty slick.

BlueMax
03-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Short of a full blown depression, they are smoking loco weed.

Asylum
03-03-2008, 01:14 PM
prolly so.

Silverbird
03-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Sorry, if they call 9-10% average return a non-Bull market they are asking for too much. That's still double the returns for bonds. There will be a bull again, it just may not "have wings", cause only Red Bull has Wings! :cheesy:

Steadygain
03-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Barring a miracle - or the creation of a New Math of the market variety - there's no way we'll ever see a bull market along the lines of what so many of us grew up with. During that enchanted period, the boring old S&P returned more than 19% a year. When you include compounding, your money more than doubled every four years. Pretty slick.

I have no idea whose quote this is - but I got a good laugh out of it. So THANK YOU - who ever came up with that.

I would certainly understand why anyone new to the investment world would feel that way - or anyone new to the Markets in general. This is where everyone needs to remember that when the US Markets are struggling - IT LOOKS LIKE AND FEELS LIKE THERE WILL NEVER BE AN END. But I absolutely guarantee - that when the Markets rebound (when this finally comes to an end) we will no doubt have greater than 19% a year gains. Investors today are a different breed from yesteryear's past - so the end result will be years with 25 to 30% Gains - with other years having sustained losses. In general the S&P is a stable rock and will endure over the years.

Hallatauer
03-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Volatility and the stock market... just shaking my head when someone tries to make predictions like this. There will be another bull market like there will be another bear.. just the ups and downs that have been happening since time began. The important thing to remember is the stock market averages 10-10.5% a year over the long haul. Use that to beat the average inflation rate of 3-3.5% a year.

Bullitt
03-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Some more Contrarian Food to chat n' nibble over.

Sell domestic stocks short as the crisis expands, invest in commodities and foreign-stock ETFs that take advantage of a weakened U.S. dollar and economy, and build your retirement reserves with open-minded investing. This is the time to review your entire portfolio and invest decisively.

I'm optimistic for our country long-term...but disturbed about the plight of investors whose advisers will preach the out-of-date stay-the-course story and lead them into yet another bear market from which to recover.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/ultimate-sell-signal/story.aspx?guid=%7BD566230C%2DF9D9%2D4384%2DB64E%2 DE9B480D2B23F%7D