PDA

View Full Version : Get Rich Quick investing

Dagon
02-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Anybody here actively trying to invest to make money in the immediate future? Meaning, non long-term/non-retirement investing? The type of investing where you don't want to be in an account that you cant' easily withdraw the money and spend tomorrow?

Curious who here is doing it, what your success has been, and any information you can recommend one reads.

Jackbnimble
02-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Dagon, I will take the bait. Most of mine is tied up long term in TSP & outside Roth in mutual funds. I set it once or twice a year and let it go.

This is how I do things, not necessarily how you should.

I do have some speculative money set aside to trade in the short term. Recently I like to find companies that have buyouts on the table that are still trading at a nice discount. Invest and just wait on the deal to close. The subprime has hurt the lending so be careful here.

I also have several stocks that I watch that trade with a higher beta since I am trying to outdo the market. These trade in a range (ie. drop to 8 then shoot up to 10 then back to 8). I trade around earnings announcement because the volume picks up for the ones I follow. I set mine up for loss limits, and also pick a price to get out and then I get out. I try to keep the emotions out of it and I do not try to get greedy, unlike Gordon Gecko. Sometimes I am in cash for 3 months or more just to be safe. Be patient and read the SEC filings closely.