PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Dagon
02-06-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm brand new here. Came across it after I realized that for the last 3 years all my TSP contributions had been in the 'G' account. Oops. So I then started to reallocate, but in research to figure out what I should be thinking about when doing this I came across this site.

I've checked out the various premium services, but as soon as this 2-trade a month thing happens I really have no idea how useful these will be. So holding off signing up for now. Also, one of them seems to be doing really bad right now.

Anyhow, I look forward to growing my account by learning to be an active trader (or as active as the system will end up allowing).

kar_crazy
02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
welcome to MB and G L been a tuff start this year :blink::eek:

Fivetears
02-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey! Ya better hope no one play's word jumble with Dagon. :nuts: :D

Welcome.

Dagon
02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
welcome to MB and G L been a tuff start this year :blink::eek:

Yeah I can tell. I was lucky to be in G at the start of this year. But two days ago I put in an IFT to go:
10% G, 10% F, 30% C, 20% S, 30% I

And well we saw what happened yesterday. Luckily today is doing a little bit better. But I have to say the L2040 (which is where I'd fall), is underperforming so bad that I have no interest in blindly switching to it right now. Though I think I'll have my new contributions go there.

Stoplight
02-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Welcome, Dagon....

No one here has "The Answer", but there's an awful lot to be learned from the folks who share their knowledge and expertise !

G L

Stoplight....

Rod
02-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Welcome!

Hey, (G) isn't a bad place to be right now because of the current market environment. Plus, it gained nearly 5% in 2007.

My advice would be to learn as much as you can about how the markets affects the F,C,S,I funds.

This will better equip you in making informed IFTs instead of simply throwing darts.

God Bless:)

nnuut
02-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the Message Board Dagon. Shaky time for the Market, be very careful.
Norman:D

tsptalk
02-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Welcome Dagon!

Show-me
02-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Welcome!

At a minimum get the 5% match if available and max out the Roth IRA. Anything more to invest goes back to the TSP account.

Dagon
02-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Welcome!

At a minimum get the 5% match if available and max out the Roth IRA. Anything more to invest goes back to the TSP account.

Yeah I'm at 5% TSP right now. Going to start Roth IRA soon. But I have a 7% loan on a house right now. So I'm thinking maybe I should be paying back extra into the house loan instead. Going to figure it out. I know it used to be a 10% long term average for investments, but not sure if that's still accurate or not.

Show-me
02-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah I'm at 5% TSP right now. Going to start Roth IRA soon. But I have a 7% loan on a house right now. So I'm thinking maybe I should be paying back extra into the house loan instead. Going to figure it out. I know it used to be a 10% long term average for investments, but not sure if that's still accurate or not.

You got a plan! I like it! The guy on the radio that I listen to would be suggesting you refi the 7% mortgage into something lower. I just heard a guy on the local radio say that they expect mortgage rates to come down in a few weeks. Just something I am spit balling at ya.

Good luck and good investing. :D

poolman
02-06-2008, 07:15 PM

IMO, Pay the house off first. It's a major ego boost. It may not be the best financial advice to you not knowing your situation but

Wife and I paid our house off at the age of me 41 and her 39. Paid $215,500 in 96 and man it's a good feeling. :D