PDA

View Full Version : who do you like in 2008?

12%ayear
01-09-2008, 01:28 PM
My pick...Hillary. Economy,Economy,and Economy

nnuut
01-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I can't make up my mind!!!!!!!!!:confused:
But Hillary isn't in the running, she was President for two terms and isn't eligible to run again!:nuts:3027

Bullitt
01-09-2008, 04:19 PM
I haven't decided yet but one thing is for sure....

Dean needs to get up and give another motivational speech.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwODbl3muE&feature=related

12%ayear
01-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I can't make up my mind!!!!!!!!!:confused:
But Hillary isn't in the running, she was President for two terms and isn't eligible to run again!:nuts:3027
lol, It is very funny because many hate Hillary. However;I rather have someone with some form of record than Obama, who speaks in quotes. Obama has no experience and I hate the fact that Oprah thinks she is God( she thinks she can decide for us who we should vote for). Hillary love her or hate her, she has Bill behind her. He is a great salesman and is powerful. The country needs experienced people in office not someone like Obama. Notice how he never talks about issues, just preaches. On the Republician side, it looks like Mike Huckabee. He has followers. But what the hell do I know.

ayla
01-09-2008, 05:14 PM
I am hoping Hillary will get nomination. She's definitely not perfect but I believe she will be competent which is more than we have gotten in the past from others (which I will try to keep from going on a tangent about). I would have preferred Biden which makes me a real Dinosaur, I guess. (His plagiarism 25 years ago or so doesn't keep me from having tremendous respect for the depth of his knowledge about foreign policy.)

Obama's rhetoric is too empty for my tastes. I believe he is an amazing orator and that his heart is in the right place but I don't believe he fully understands the huge hostility that he will come up against if he were to get elected. It would take a while for him to finally start playing "hard ball" and I don't think we have the time for his learning curve.

GGal
01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm Republican and from the Bible Belt, so of course I like Huckabee......except for the fact that he wants to abolish the IRS! Whenever people use that phrase, I always wonder just how smart they could be. Whatever tax system we have, be it income, or consumption, there will have to be a government agency to oversee its collection.

As for Clinton, I'm impressed. She is an excellent speaker and presents herself very well indeed. She definitely knows all the right things to say. I do cringe, however, when I remember the national health care plan that she wants me to pay for. Well hell, I already pay for medicare and medicaide, so what am I thinking. I'm still old-school enough to wonder how we could elect a female president.

I like Edwards, but he is just too little boyish to have any credibility.

As for Obama, I've already said I don't want a president with a Muslim sounding name.

I guess when all us traditional baby boomers die, you chaps can have it like you want it.

Where is Ronald Reagen when we need him.

GGAL

Show-me
01-09-2008, 07:06 PM
I like McCain, his is the one most likely to die before I retire and provide me with a National Day of Mourning.

Just JOKING!!!

Miss_Piggy
01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Well I was glad to hear Hillary won NH because I think she is so intelligent, thinking it’s time to have an intelligent President not just some “likeable” character. I admire her and I think it’s time to do away with the misogynist trends in our society. I also think that the chance for a better economy lies with Hillary.

I would have been just as happy to have known Obama won NH because it would have herald the beginning of the end of our racist society.

My heart though was for Kucinich, Richardson and would cross-over for Ron Paul because I think we need to get “all the bums” out of the current Congress. I don’t think we can afford to buy into another “likeable” personality” nor another “religious right” candidate.
We need revolutionary change for the survival of the middle class!
Just my http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/mptsp/smileys/money/th2_cents.gif

Show-me
01-09-2008, 07:47 PM
No matter who wins they will have to deal with the horrible debt, ss, and Medicare. I don't envy anyone that takes that job. They WILL have to raise taxes and cut ss.

Get that money in that ROTH!!! Put money in a Traditional or TSP when the taxes are highest.

I like Ron Paul, but I liked Ross Perot too.

12%ayear
01-10-2008, 05:36 AM
I'm Republican and from the Bible Belt, so of course I like Huckabee......except for the fact that he wants to abolish the IRS! Whenever people use that phrase, I always wonder just how smart they could be. Whatever tax system we have, be it income, or consumption, there will have to be a government agency to oversee its collection.

As for Clinton, I'm impressed. She is an excellent speaker and presents herself very well indeed. She definitely knows all the right things to say. I do cringe, however, when I remember the national health care plan that she wants me to pay for. Well hell, I already pay for medicare and medicaide, so what am I thinking. I'm still old-school enough to wonder how we could elect a female president.

I like Edwards, but he is just too little boyish to have any credibility.

As for Obama, I've already said I don't want a president with a Muslim sounding name.

I guess when all us traditional baby boomers die, you chaps can have it like you want it.

Where is Ronald Reagen when we need him.

GGAL
Now is not the time for this country to have a president who is extra friendly with our enemies. I can care less about what religion one chooses,but I care when one will be my leader. http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_barack_obama_muslim.htmObama's father, Barack Hussein Obama, Sr. was a radical Muslim who migrated from Kenya to Jakarta, Indonesia. He met Obama's mother, Ann Dunham-a white atheist from Wichita, Kansas-at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Obama, Sr. and Dunham divorced when Barack, Jr. was two.

Obama's spinmeisters are now attempting to make it appear that Obama's introduction to Islam came from his father and that influence was temporary at best.
He also admitted to using all types of drugs. The guy is a con-artist. As far as having a women president. That does not bother me at all. Some of the best leaders are women. Thatcher just to name one. Think about it, every marriage the woman is the smart one. lol

nnuut
01-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Bill Clinton, how soon they forget.
There are many good reasons to NOT vote for Mrs. Clinton and he is the first. The main reason that I voted the first time Billy Boy ran for President was to vote AGAINST HIM! I did the same thing in the election for his 2nd term, but to no avail. I blame him for putting our country in the economic mess that we are in today. Thanks Bill for NAFTA, GATT and the other woonderful things that you did to drain our manufacturing and economic base and sent it over to third world countries leaving our dwindling Middle Class to burn in ECONOMIC HELL. As anyone that was there at the time knows, it's a wonder that Billy had time to do so much damage to our country while chasing skirts and screwing his friends and sending them to jail, they took the hit for Billy and Hilly. How can anyone in their right mind want that pair to control the USA again? NOT ME, ANYBODY, but not THEM AGAIN! :nuts:
Ok I'm through, and really don't want to talk politics, and won't, but if you are or were in the MIDDLE CLASS, watch your BACK, remember you have had a knife in it for a long time and a few more stabs might finish us off.:suspicious:

12%ayear
01-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Bill Clinton, how soon they forget.
There are many good reasons to NOT vote for Mrs. Clinton and he is the first. The main reason that I voted the first time Billy Boy ran for President was to vote AGAINST HIM! I did the same thing in the election for his 2nd term, but to no avail. I blame him for putting our country in the economic mess that we are in today. Thanks Bill for NAFTA, GATT and the other woonderful things that you did to drain our manufacturing and economic base and sent it over to third world countries leaving our dwindling Middle Class to burn in ECONOMIC HELL. As anyone that was there at the time knows, it's a wonder that Billy had time to do so much damage to our country while chasing skirts and screwing his friends and sending them to jail, they took the hit for Billy and Hilly. How can anyone in their right mind want that pair to control the USA again? NOT ME, ANYBODY, but not THEM AGAIN! :nuts:
Ok I'm through, and really don't want to talk politics, and won't, but if you are or were in the MIDDLE CLASS, watch your BACK, remember you have had a knife in it for a long time and a few more stabs might finish us off.:suspicious: All I remember is that oil was very cheap when Clinton was in office. The stock market was booming. I could care less he was chasing skirts. That is none of my business, I was not married to him. Obama would be the beginning of the end if elected. No experience and friendly towards the enemies.

guygirl
01-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Definitely will not vote for Obama.

Undecided about the rest. I do feel that we need to get some new blood in Congress. Too many good old boys. They can't even pass the budget.
I think Congressmen should have term limits or at least an age limit.

I don't know about you folks, but when I am in my eighties I don't want to be working. My mind is already worn out and I am 2 years shy of 50.

Viva_La_Migra
01-10-2008, 08:40 AM
I like McCain, his is the one most likely to die before I retire and provide me with a National Day of Mourning.

Just JOKING!!!
LOL!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::embarrest:

12%ayear
01-10-2008, 09:10 AM
LOL... Sen.Kerry is endorsing OBAMA.. The kiss of death. Sen. Kerry is Mr. Flipflopper himself. I rather have Huckabee than Obama.

Idaho Dave
01-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm a conservative, states' rights, Bill of Rights, less government is better (even though I'm a Fed), let law makers make laws, let the president do the foreign policy, and let the judges judge, leave me alone sort of guy. Unfortunately the guy I would most prefer to vote for doesn't seem to have a chance.

Obama doesn't seem sincere, Hillary wants too many entitlement programs, Huckabee has this religious holier-than-thou thing going, and McCain-Feingold p!$$es me off.

If Fred makes it, I'll probably vote for him. Otherwise . . .?

alevin
01-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Urban legends are just that. Legends. I just got done reading Obama's book Dreams of My Father last week, which was first published in 1994, 2 years before he even ever ran for state legislature, It was the Indonesian step-father who had influence over him character-and values-wise for a whole whopping 2 years in early grade school. Religion was not the driver in that relationship. He barely ever met his real father, who was had a student visa in the US but went back to Kenya when he got done with school and left wife and baby behind. He came back to visit one time for a whole month when Barack was just a kid who didn't know what to do with this stranger. From his description of meeting the Kenyan side of the family after his father died, they are moderates and it sounds like his father was the same. I've known moderate North African Black and Arab Muslims both, good and kind and generous people, who despise radicals as much as we do.

Obama's inner city community work in Chicago was done through the churches and church leaders and he became a practicing Christian as a consequence. Before that he didn't believe in much of anything spiritually. The book is an exploration of social and cultural influences on character development and key character-development experiences in the man's life and how he came to look at our society and his place in it, long before he ever got into major politics. I recommend reading this book to get a better handle on him even if you don't plan on voting for him, he's going to be a national player for the long haul I think, even if he never takes the top spot. Repeating urban legends without going to the primary source does no one any favors. Use some other criterion to choose for or against a candidate, please, for example, foreign policy experience, by all means, if you think experience is more important than anything else. My morning kibbitz;)

12%ayear
01-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Urban legends are just that. Legends. I just got done reading Obama's book Dreams of My Father last week, which was first published in 1994, 2 years before he even ever ran for state legislature, It was the Indonesian step-father who had influence over him character-and values-wise for a whole whopping 2 years in early grade school. Religion was not the driver in that relationship. He barely ever met his real father, who was had a student visa in the US but went back to Kenya when he got done with school and left wife and baby behind. He came back to visit one time for a whole month when Barack was just a kid who didn't know what to do with this stranger. From his description of meeting the Kenyan side of the family after his father died, they are moderates and it sounds like his father was the same. I've known moderate North African Black and Arab Muslims both, good and kind and generous people, who despise radicals as much as we do.

Obama's inner city community work in Chicago was done through the churches and church leaders and he became a practicing Christian as a consequence. Before that he didn't believe in much of anything spiritually. The book is an exploration of social and cultural influences on character development and key character-development experiences in the man's life and how he came to look at our society and his place in it, long before he ever got into major politics. I recommend reading this book to get a better handle on him even if you don't plan on voting for him, he's going to be a national player for the long haul I think, even if he never takes the top spot. Repeating urban legends without going to the primary source does no one any favors. Use some other criterion to choose for or against a candidate, please, for example, foreign policy experience, by all means, if you think experience is more important than anything else. My morning kibbitz;)
I guess you are right about using Urban Legends. However;I am not putting him down because of his religion. It is the experience factor. The Muslim factor will be a issue for Americans, especially after 9-11. I have nothing against people because of religion and race. This is what the USA is founded on. My point is that many will. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama ttp://www.realchange.org/obama.htm)..... http://www.realchange.org/obama.htm

12%ayear
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
http://www.gagreport.com/images/kerry-tshirt.jpg Kerry is the kiss of death.

nnuut
01-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I really dislike Mr. Jane Fonda Kerry!

Each new president inherits the economic conditions that were created by the policies, including Trade Agreements of the previous administration. Some inherit a good stable economy and some don't. Let's see who was it that was president before G.W. Bush? :D
I said that!

12%ayear
01-10-2008, 01:43 PM

Each new president inherits the economic conditions that were created by the policies, including Trade Agreements of the previous administration. Some inherit a good stable economy and some don't. Let's see who was it that was president before G.W. Bush? :D
I said that!

I am a Dem. and I also dislike Kerry and his wife.

ayla
01-10-2008, 02:17 PM

I said that!

The IRAQ war was not inherited.

nnuut
01-10-2008, 02:28 PM
The IRAQ war was not inherited.
Exactly, but as you know that is not the only thing wrong with this wrong way economy. :D

weatherweenie
01-10-2008, 03:29 PM
I said that!

I agree that the economy/stock market was coming down from it's boom as W took over. It has since recovered, somewhat, from the bust, but is on its way back down.

Whoever takes over from W will be inheriting a pretty weak economy, courtesy of W himself.

12%ayear
01-10-2008, 04:18 PM
The USA has faced challenging since 2000. The country needs experienced leaders who can try to fix this mess. Obama is not the one. All theat preaching is just fluff. People want change because they had 12 years of the Bushs(father and son) and 8 years of the Clintons. However; they are grabbing atone who talks a good game. the Clintons, you will get Bill back. If Obama gets in, the country will go from extreme to other. This Obama will withdrawal the troops too quick and sit down with Iran over coffee. You need a plan and also let the troops know that all the sweat and blood they shed for us for worth some progress.

Frixxxx
01-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I agree that the economy/stock market was coming down from it's boom as W took over. It has since recovered, somewhat, from the bust, but is on its way back down.

Whoever takes over from W will be inheriting a pretty weak economy, courtesy of W himself.

Weatherweenie,

I hate to ask this, but how do you blame an economy on the existing administration when the majority of the cruch is being blamed on the sub-prime markets?? These loans have been in use for years. As of 2004, most of these types of loans were on track with standard loans in regard to foreclosure rates. But when did subprime loans become legal? During the REAGAN run! Lookup Alternative Mortgage Transaction Parity Act (AMTPA) 1982 and the Tax Reform Act (TRA) 1986. Now that these loans are available and lending institutions offered these types of loans more and more, the blame lies on the administration? What about the companies? Where is THEIR blame?
By the way:
Should this president be held accountable? There are three (3) entities of the government and nobody seems to bring the other two into the blame.
Honestly, I respect and admire the information you have given in the past on this investment site. I enjoy seeing your inputs. But this post seemed to hit a nerve and I just wanted to know why you decided to hit this administration with the blame. I blame the companies. I blame the lendors who preyed on the uneducated and uninformed.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it out!:cool:

nnuut
01-10-2008, 04:51 PM

The USA has faced challenging since 2000. The country needs experienced leaders who can try to fix this mess. Obama is not the one. All theat preaching is just fluff. People want change because they had 12 years of the Bushs(father and son) and 8 years of the Clintons. However; they are grabbing atone who talks a good game. the Clintons, you will get Bill back. If Obama gets in, the country will go from extreme to other. This Obama will withdrawal the troops too quick and sit down with Iran over coffee. You need a plan and also let the troops know that all the sweat and blood they shed for us for worth some progress.
Good words, I agree with both of you. BUT WHO? I know how to decide from among the others!!!:D

weatherweenie
01-10-2008, 05:06 PM
I agree, there is plenty of blame to go around. I blame the credit companies in general, not just mortgage companies, for making credit too available.

Maybe it's too simplistic on my part, but I kind of feel the buck stops with the President. For what it's worth, I'm neither Republican or Democrat. I think they both stink! :)

Weatherweenie,

I hate to ask this, but how do you blame an economy on the existing administration when the majority of the cruch is being blamed on the sub-prime markets?? These loans have been in use for years. As of 2004, most of these types of loans were on track with standard loans in regard to foreclosure rates. But when did subprime loans become legal? During the REAGAN run! Lookup Alternative Mortgage Transaction Parity Act (AMTPA) 1982 and the Tax Reform Act (TRA) 1986. Now that these loans are available and lending institutions offered these types of loans more and more, the blame lies on the administration? What about the companies? Where is THEIR blame?
By the way:
Should this president be held accountable? There are three (3) entities of the government and nobody seems to bring the other two into the blame.
Honestly, I respect and admire the information you have given in the past on this investment site. I enjoy seeing your inputs. But this post seemed to hit a nerve and I just wanted to know why you decided to hit this administration with the blame. I blame the companies. I blame the lendors who preyed on the uneducated and uninformed.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it out!:cool:

alevin
01-10-2008, 09:04 PM
As for me, I swing with the wind. I like one thing about Hillary, another about Obama, another about Biden (sad, truly sad he never got any traction), another about McCain, another about Richardson (he had my interest til I saw him in a debate), another about Huckabee, and I even like a few things about ron paul ( I did that to get Fabijo's goat-:cheesy:). The most interesting slate of primary candidates I've seen in about 30 years. but I can only vote in one primary-rats! I'll probably dither til our primary arrives and make up my mind at the last minute between the first two. Notice who I didn't mention I liked?:D

GGal
01-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I managed to sit still for some of the Republican Debates this evening.....Huckabee is looking more like a winner!

I will of course vote in the Republican Primary.

GGAL

Viva_La_Migra
01-11-2008, 08:27 AM
I agree, there is plenty of blame to go around. I blame the credit companies in general, not just mortgage companies, for making credit too available.

Maybe it's too simplistic on my part, but I kind of feel the buck stops with the President. For what it's worth, I'm neither Republican or Democrat. I think they both stink! :)
No offense, but much of the blame lies with the people who took out these loans as well. Not all of them were too stupid to understand what they were getting into. I had one of these loans at one time, but I got out of it long before the interest rate went up. I read the mountain of paperwork I signed for the loan and I understood exactly what was going on. Like accepting responsibility if I accidentally hit the wrong button on my IFT's, I accepted responsibility for my loans as well.

Idaho Dave
01-11-2008, 10:53 AM
No offense, but much of the blame lies with the people who took out these loans as well.

Couldn't agree more

weatherweenie
01-11-2008, 11:17 AM
No offense, but much of the blame lies with the people who took out these loans as well. Not all of them were too stupid to understand what they were getting into.

No offense taken.

I agree that a lot of people who took out the loans are to blame.

There were also a lot of people that were preyed upon.

camper65
01-11-2008, 01:09 PM
When it comes to the sub-prime problem, I keep going back to a single question, "Where did thies loans originate". Isn't it a matter of greed praying upon greed?

GGal
01-13-2008, 06:22 PM
I continue to watch interviews on tv, and Huckabee is winning me over.....

GGAL

fabijo
01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm definitely voting for Ron Paul, but not for him to run the country. It is not the President's job to run the country. A lot of what Huckabee has just started saying a month ago is exactly what Ron Paul has been running on for 20+ years. I like plenty of what each candidate is saying (except for most of the Republicans' stance on the Iraq war - especially McCain saying we should stay for 100 years if we can). But sometimes it just feels like words, not conviction. On the Democrat side, it may be the same thing (I just haven't been keeping up as much). I know that I like Kucinich for his stance on civil liberties and foreign policy. When I hear Obama speak, he seems like a good-hearted guy. I'm just not sure if his words are translatable to actions yet. Like it's been said, experience is what speaks, especially for someone who's running for President of the U.S.

Remember, vote in the primaries for who you want to win, not for who you think will win. We are placing votes, not bets.

An Open Letter to Conservative Christians (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/clifton2.html)
An Open Letter to America's Pastors and Church Leaders (http://www.lewrockwell.com/barnwell/barnwell85.html)

nnuut
01-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm voting for Romabee!:D

Miss_Piggy
01-17-2008, 12:43 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/mptsp/smileys/lol/23_2_16.gif