PDA

View Full Version : Hot off the press from Fedweek.

k2ds
01-02-2008, 03:52 PM
"TSP Explains New Limits on Transfers"
Looks like they have made up their minds.
Their talking like it's a done deal!

http://www.fedweek.com/content/hfi/showpage1.php?title=2008-01-02

Barney
01-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Umm, what does this mean:

"However, the TSP does want to provide the opportunity for participants to rebalance their accounts and to permit unrestricted access to the Government Securities Investment (G) Fund."

"…If your first or second interfund transfer in a month moves money only to the G Fund, it still counts toward your two (2) interfund transfers per month limit."

McDuck
01-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Umm, what does this mean:

"However, the TSP does want to provide the opportunity for participants to rebalance their accounts and to permit unrestricted access to the Government Securities Investment (G) Fund."

"…If your first or second interfund transfer in a month moves money only to the G Fund, it still counts toward your two (2) interfund transfers per month limit."

Here's 2 different examples:

You're in the C-fund at the end of the previous month. During the first week of the new month, you IFT to the S-fund. Then the 2nd week you IFT to the G-fund. This has reached your 2-IFT-limit and you stay in the G-fund until the next month.

You're in the C-fund at the end of the previous month. During the first week of the new month, you IFT to the S-fund. Then the 2nd week you IFT back to the C-fund. You have reached your 2-IFT-limit but you can IFT to the G-fund and you stay in the G-fund until the next month (you can't IFT to any other fund).

You always have the option to go to the G-fund if you think the market is tanking.

Barney
01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Here's 2 different examples:

You're in the C-fund at the end of the previous month. During the first week of the new month, you IFT to the S-fund. Then the 2nd week you IFT to the G-fund. This has reached your 2-IFT-limit and you stay in the G-fund until the next month.

You're in the C-fund at the end of the previous month. During the first week of the new month, you IFT to the S-fund. Then the 2nd week you IFT back to the C-fund. You have reached your 2-IFT-limit but you can IFT to the G-fund and you stay in the G-fund until the next month (you can't IFT to any other fund).

You always have the option to go to the G-fund if you think the market is tanking.

This does not sound like unrestricted access to me. However, we should start a thread giving multiple senarios.
1) For example, I though if I went into 20 C, 20 S 60 I at the first week of the month,
2) the second week I could move my 60 I back into the G (unlimited) because the I fund is not doing so well,
3) Third week move 60 back into the I fund - which would make my two IFTs and then
4) everyday during the forth week, I could move a little at a time back into the G-fund. :D

Rod
01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
This does not sound like unrestricted access to me. However, we should start a thread giving multiple senarios.
1) For example, I though if I went into 20 C, 20 S 60 I at the first week of the month,
2) the second week I could move my 60 I back into the G (unlimited) because the I fund is not doing so well,
3) Third week move 60 back into the I fund - which would make my two IFTs and then
4) everyday during the forth week, I could move a little at a time back into the G-fund. :D

There's always a way to circumvent "the system".;)

hessian
01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Relevant to post here:
Examine the statement, that Barney points out - it is VERY unusual:

"...the TSP does want to provide the opportunity for participants to rebalance their accounts and to permit unrestricted access to the Government Securities Investment (G) Fund"!

Why say this? - what is behind this statement? The ONLY thing I can figure is that in this Fund maintains our short-term, U.S. Treasury Securities! What is the problem with our short-term, U.S Treasury Securities - that have been alledgedly, "specially issued to the TSP"?

Could the problem be - that "our TSP" Treasuries have been "borrowed," and "used," and "sold" to keep the U.S budget afloat? Are they, or have they been sold like mad to OSM-buyers to maintain our economy? :notrust:
-- In other words, could the concern be - there isn't enough of these to go around, they haven't been specially issued, as specifically identified by law, as "issued to the TSP", therefore they are NOT AVAILABLE for us to IFT into, and out of, on the same frequent basis as previously??? :suspicious:

TRAFFIC_DOG
01-02-2008, 10:11 PM

Don't think so....

1) You ..."went into 20 C, 20 S 60 I at the first week of the month, ".....
That leads me to believe you weren't in this allocation on the 1st.
........That's #1

2) The second week ..." I could move my 60 I back into the G (unlimited) because the I fund is not doing so well,"
........That's #2

You are done.

Except that you can DCA as many IFT's into the G from here to the end of month as you wish.

Barney
01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
That will be a fun theory to prove. It does make you think, though.

Relevant to post here:
Examine the statement, that Barney points out - it is VERY unusual:

"...the TSP does want to provide the opportunity for participants to rebalance their accounts and to permit unrestricted access to the Government Securities Investment (G) Fund"!

Why say this? - what is behind this statement? The ONLY thing I can figure is that in this Fund maintains our short-term, U.S. Treasury Securities! What is the problem with our short-term, U.S Treasury Securities - that have been alledgedly, "specially issued to the TSP"?

Could the problem be - that "our TSP" Treasuries have been "borrowed," and "used," and "sold" to keep the U.S budget afloat? Are they, or have they been sold like mad to OSM-buyers to maintain our economy? :notrust:
-- In other words, could the concern be - there isn't enough of these to go around, they haven't been specially issued, as specifically identified by law, as "issued to the TSP", therefore they are NOT AVAILABLE for us to IFT into, and out of, on the same frequent basis as previously??? :suspicious: