PDA

View Full Version : Happy 2008!

alevin
01-01-2008, 12:43 PM
It's time I said Hello, first time message boarder anywhere so I've been kinda hesitant to launch myself out there. Been listening and learning from the best on the site for sometime now, my retention level for system/chart discussions remains low unfortunately. I need to do some supplemental hardcopy reading and study, I tend to learn better that way. I read and think and don't always follow a chart or system from here, sometimes it pays off, other times not so well. Sentiment Survey has helped, so did EBBChart before he went off the public boards.

I was one of the very first mandatory FERS retirement system hires. All they said in the early years was-contribute to TSP, you'll be in trouble if you don't. Never explained what they meant by that. Thanks to internet retirement calculators I discovered a couple years ago, I've discovered my true retirement stash needs and what its going to take to get to that point when I need to be there :(. Thankfully I have 10-15 years to salvage the situation. 12%'s motto is my ballpark (modest?) objective, give or take a couple, but if I can do even better? as long as I can limit downside risk sufficiently, ok.

So many changes in tsp over the past 20 years (G, F, C, then S&I; quarterly phone/snail mail transfers-I got used to not thinking about short-term market ups and downs since I couldn't do anything about it anyway), overly conservative choices early on-plus getting diversification and buy-and-hold preached at me, then laisse-faire for a few key years (worst years) in C fund 100% between 1999-2002 (when I was thinking buy and hold in stocks was the longterm ticket). I didn't monitor or understand what was actually happening in the market (and my account) back then before I was much of a routine internet user-was suspicious of S and I too when they came out, so took even longer to begin understanding and using them effectively). And of course right around 2001-2002, I switched from contributing 10% down to 5% so I could use the other 5% to pay off my house early (so I could invest more later). timing is everything, took me much longer to recapture my market losses since I downsized new contributions right when the market had tanked and was climbing its way back out (and I didn't realize til much much later how timing affected net benefits of that decision). So much for how I got here...the present and future are everything, so long as I've learned from past mistakes.

I have FERS co-workers my age and era who still believe that "Throw your $ into TSP and forget it." is the best way to go-don't want to hear me when I say not my current plan due to past and future consequences to my account. For their sakes I hope they meet their goals, I just know I need to be a little more proactive from here to the end. Thanks for being here everyone, looking forward to an upside year of mutual support with no regrets at the end. :)

Rod
01-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the boards!

God Bless:)

Show-me
01-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Welcome and thank you for posting! I hope you have a wonderful New Year! If you need some hard copy, I use www.stockcharts.com (http://www.stockcharts.com) free chart school. I use the Stock Traders Almanac as a diary/notebook. I also read all of the posts Robo provides in the Bear Cave thread. Poolman has been posting a link to a youtube link that I watch frequently.

There is also a recommended reading thread.

Good luck!

nnuut
01-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Welcome to the Mesage Board alevin. Happy New year and best of luck with your investments!
Norman:D

Wildboar53
01-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the Board .

I also started gov service in '85 and went thru most the same gyrations you have tho I did bail to G fund before big loss years.
I too need to be active in account to reach end goal in 10-12 years -- so that puts my desired returns at better than 20%.
With the actions of the TSP Board that looks hard to do :mad:.
We will move ahead best we can. Hope you have great success with us.

tsptalk
01-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Welcome alevin! Thanks for joining us.

EW_ret
01-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Welcome to our forums. You can join our Automated Tracker once you have 10 posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules in my signature. Its been recording our members' IFTs and returns since August 31st. Click Members Ranking (http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_user_balance_all.php) to see the current return rankings of our members.

ezmoney
01-10-2008, 06:53 PM
You're here now and no where to hide. Got any retirement money you don't need I'm a taker. Welcome to the mb:o