PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

Mack-Daddy
12-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Good afternoon, just found the forums and am interested in making the most out of my TSP. so far i have seen some great information

Mack-Daddy
12-21-2007, 05:56 PM
I have been reading the forums and am having a hard time understanding the FV associated with the i fund, any help??

wv-girl
12-21-2007, 06:04 PM
I have been reading the forums and am having a hard time understanding the FV associated with the i fund, any help??
There are only a couple of super people here that actually understand it. Just keep reading the posts you will catch on.

Mack-Daddy
12-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Will do , i was just in the I fund forum and am finding a wealth of info. was looking at the tsp tracker- is that a tool people use to track returns without actually entering dollar amounts??

wv-girl
12-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Will do , i was just in the I fund forum and am finding a wealth of info. was looking at the tsp tracker- is that a tool people use to track returns without actually entering dollar amounts??

Yes. Because there is such a diverse set of people here( some retired, some new hires) actual dollar amts being posted are discouraged.

Mack-Daddy
12-21-2007, 06:33 PM
thanks for the info, it would be nice to track gains after a IFT, the MS Money program seems to start over everytime you move cash.

Wildboar53
12-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Please note that we are in a bit of ruffle now because of the proposed change the TSP board wants to do with the number of IFT's you can do per month. It sounds like you wish to actively manage your account, so this would affect you directly. If you know others in your work place are in similar position as you, MOST ADAMITLY let them know what is happening.

Again, welcome and best wishes with your account.

Mack-Daddy
12-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Yes I am concerned with the rule change and did go and sign the petition, i remember the old days i think then we were limited to one or two per month. I read a few threads that think it will change to 2 per month. I do hope that doesnt happen i am wanting to get into a more active management role and try to boost my returns.

Rod
12-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Welcome to the team!:)

Mack-Daddy
12-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Done---Thanks

Show-me
12-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Welcome!

nnuut
12-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Welcome to the Board Mack-Daddy:D
Norman

Mack-Daddy
12-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Thank's

I didnt know there was such a loyal group working together to educate and share ideas, everything i am finding is top notch, I will be leaning on the old timers in the forums.

MD

Rod
12-23-2007, 08:15 AM
A lot of us have been friends for a few years now, although we have never met. It's an environment you will find welcoming.

Merry Christmas:)

SkyPilot
12-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Greetings, welcome and Merry CHRISTmas!

Gilligan
12-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Welcome Mack,
I stopped at the North Pole a couple of years ago on the way to Fairbanks. I saw Santa’s house and took some pictures of the reindeer.

Merry Christmas,
Gilligan

Barney
12-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Welcome and a very Merry CHRISTmas. I am looking forward to seeing you around the mb.:D

Barney

James48843
12-24-2007, 07:58 PM

Welcome Mack Daddy!

For your questions, first, I'll go russel up the link to Fair Value. I left it around here someplace. Let me go see if I can find it.

As for the tsp tracker, yes, there is a spreadsheet that allows you to track your own return as well. We also have an on-line "autotracker", which you can post your moves, see how you do, and compare your results to others.

I'll go find the tsp tracker excel spreadsheet, and see if I can post the link for you.

However, before you do ANY moving of funds, I highly suggest you read more through this site, as you'll find that we don't recommend moving funds for beginners. In fact, we suggest you DON'T move any funds until and unless you are 1. comforable with the VERY REAL risk you could loose money, and 2. You try for a while with a "pretend" mock account, and see what happens to your calls.

Many have tried.

Some have gained.

Others have lost. Big.

And it seems that many have benefited from WAITING a while before you actually try and do anything at all with real money.

Let me go look for some links for you.

James48843
12-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Mack- while I'm out searching for the references you requested, please take a few minutes to read this thread:

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3629

I don't know where you are in your knowledge and expereince, and that is always a good place to start, so that we all have a common base of knowledge from which to draw. Now, take a minute and read that, and I'll be right back with the answers to your questions of FV, and the TSP tracker long form.

James48843
12-24-2007, 08:07 PM
OK- here is your first question's answer. You asked about "Fair Value".

Gilligan did a really nice explaination here:

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3111

That explains where the idea for fair value comes from. It's the difference between what the market has done around the noon cutoff time, and the time overnight when the trades actually take place in the I fund exchanges. The Fair Value is just a GUESS by Barclay's of what the market will do overnight. Sometimes it's right on the money, and sometimes it's wrong. If they are wrong, the I fund can either get a loss, or a windfall.

In the month of September, Barclays guessed wrong on the FV several times, and as a result, the TSP share holders got an extra $1.3 million dollars. (The wrong guesses were in the TSP's favor).

Depsite Tracey Ray claiming "trading is costing TSP Shareholders", in fact in September there was a $1.3 million dollar POSITIVE for the TSP BECAUSE some members chose to move funds that month.

nnuut
12-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Welcome Mack Daddy!

For your questions, first, I'll go russel up the link to Fair Value. I left it around here someplace. Let me go see if I can find it.

As for the tsp tracker, yes, there is a spreadsheet that allows you to track your own return as well. We also have an on-line "autotracker", which you can post your moves, see how you do, and compare your results to others.

I'll go find the tsp tracker excel spreadsheet, and see if I can post the link for you.

However, before you do ANY moving of funds, I highly suggest you read more through this site, as you'll find that we don't recommend moving funds for beginners. In fact, we suggest you DON'T move any funds until and unless you are 1. comforable with the VERY REAL risk you could loose money, and 2. You try for a while with a "pretend" mock account, and see what happens to your calls.

Many have tried.

Some have gained.

Others have lost. Big.

And it seems that many have benefited from WAITING a while before you actually try and do anything at all with real money.

Let me go look for some links for you.
Very wise words James, Don't dive in the water until you know how deep it is!!!:cool:

James48843
12-24-2007, 08:20 PM
OK_ you asked about the tracker utility.

Go to this web page:

http://www.tsptalk.com/utilities.html

IN the middle of the page, below the center, you'll find several links referring to the 2007 TSP Tracker utility.

This is an excel spreadsheet you can use to enter your own data. Each day, you can enter the daily fund prices, and see how you have done, compared to each of the TSP funds.

I urge you NOT to move real money until after you have shown yourself that you can beat the averages with consistancy. Anyone can get lucky for a month or two.

Try beating the L-2040 for a six month period of time. (If that is an age appropriate fund for you).

Many years ago, I watch the TV show "Kung Fu". The show always began with a scene of the Old Blind master, extending his hand out to young Daivd Carridine.

He says:

-------------------------------------
Master Kan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0014217/): Quickly as you can, snatch the pebble from my hand.
[Young Caine tries to do so and fails]
Master Kan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0014217/): When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

=--------------------
TSP moving of your funds should be like this.

If you think you are ready to try, then try in the mock accounts, on a spreadsheet, or join the autotracker.

When you can consistantly snatch the pebble, it will be time for you to leave.

Until then, practice, learn, listen, share, become informed.