PDA

View Full Version : Hello to All

youngMoney
11-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Greetings,

I have been a full time Fed now for about a year. I have been employed since 2004. I started building my TSP in 2005. I turn 24 years old next month. Due to my relatively young age and inexperience with investing I chose the screen name youngMoney. It sounds better then noMoney or dumbMoney.

I have been familiar with tsptalk.com for about two years now. What kind of sucks is that right when I was about to go premium I get the news about the limit on tranfers. Hopefully in my participation in this Forum I will be able to gain more knowledge about the market especially in regards to my TSP. I take it that many of you are involved in other investment areas correct?

I have lots of questions but I will pace myself. I'm looking forward to conversing with all.

youngMoney

EW_ret
11-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Welcome to our forums. You can join our Automated Tracker once you have 10 posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules in my signature. Its been recording our members' IFTs and returns since August 31st. Click Members Ranking (http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_user_balance_all.php) to see the current return rankings of our members.

Show-me
11-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Welcome and ask away!!!

Show-me
11-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Start here if you have not already.

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3629

nnuut
11-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Welcome youngmoney, best of luck with your investments. You have plenty of time!:D
Norman

SaveAndGoGreen
11-29-2007, 09:47 PM
I just recently came across this forum when looking for suggestions on what I should do with my TSP funds, especially with the high probability that our economy is sliding into a recession. Is putting all your eggs in one basket (G fund) and waiting for the market to drop so that you can buy the other stocks at low prices a wise decision?

Like youngMoney, I have just started my federal govt career (3.5 years), and know that wise decisions now will only pay-off in the future. I'm 27, newly married and my wife and I are expecting in early April.

Although I don't have a lot to contribute, I have been putting back 6% for TSP. I'm hoping to learn more about fund transfers and I guess I would consider myself a medium-risk investor.

I look forward to the dialogue and guidance. Thanks in advance for sharing your wealth of knowledge with the newcomers.

SaveAndGoGreen
http://web.mac.com/saveandgogreen/

FUTURESTRADER
11-29-2007, 10:01 PM
'ahhh youth...wasted on the young' :)

welcome S n GG...you could, and probably should toe the 'company' line at first, and jump in the L2040.

youngMoney
11-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Save and Go Green,

If you don't have the time to be actively involved in managing your tsp the "L Funds" are great. They are a blend of all the TSP funds. Each L fund is geared toward a different retirement date. The L2040 fund, as FUTURES TRADER mentioned, is for individuals looking to retire around 2040. I personally think they keep the risk to a minimum. As your retirement date approaches the "L Fund" you are in automatically adjusts to a fund blend that is less risky. Although this approach is good for the person that isn't actively involved in their TSP, you cab get better returns by examining the market and investing in your own blend. I'm only 23 so I have plenty of time and my investment mix is riskier. I am invested solely in the C, S, and I funds. On the TSP website they have analysis of all the funds that include a description of the risk associated with each. You probably know but if you don't its all good info.

youngMoney

James48843
11-30-2007, 11:43 AM
GoGreen-

First, welcome aboard. Make yourself at home.

Next, go to this thread, and start reading. You are plenty young, and will have lots of time to work in it in the future, but for right now, read this thread to the end, and then decide where the best place is for yourself while you are learning.

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3629

Have a great day, good luck, and happy investing.

tsptalk
11-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Welcome youngmoney! It's always good to see the young folks starting early. It's the easiest way to retire rich.