PDA

View Full Version : Daily Funds Returns

Spaf
10-05-2004, 06:52 PM
What is the best (fastest) way to find the daily returns on the TSP funds?

I can readily get this information for my other funds. Where do I go to get the TSP returns? The TSPMoney site has a lot of lag. TSP doesn't update till the next day.

Tom.......Is this something you could program in on your site?

cowboy
10-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Spaf wrote:
What is the best (fastest) way to find the daily returns on the TSP funds?

I can readily get this information for my other funds. Where do I go to get the TSP returns? The TSPMoney site has a lot of lag. TSP doesn't update till the next day.

Tom.......Is this something you could program in on your site?

Spaf go to tsp.gov and the history will show you the daily results. :^It updates at about 6:30 central time or 7:00 PM. It updates in the evening.

Spaf
10-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Cowboy

Thunk U. Thats what I was lookin 4!

Go to TSP.gov The Bull with Returns and Share prices, then to Share prices.

Wala!

cowboy
10-05-2004, 07:36 PM
I was looking for the same thing so I started watching it and found this out through practice. I made a nice move into I fundyesterday now if the market holds and keeps climbing it will pay off tomorrow. Maybe!:cool:

knots
10-06-2004, 07:47 PM
I too have a question about tracking the TSP fund prices........

I use Quicken to manage my personal finances. If you are familiar with Quicken,the softwarecan "update" online and it will update your portfolio with stock prices, mutual fund NAV prices, etc on daily basis to show how your portfolio is performing. Obviously it updates the stock and mutual fund prices because each has a "symbol" (ie. Microsoft = "MSFT" or AT&T = "T" or for mutual funds USAA S&P 500 Index fund = "USSPX" etc.) Do the TSP funds have a "symbol" name that Quicken can update on lineor do I have to continually check the price on the TSP.gov site every day and manually enter in the closing price to Quicken to track my portfolio......I would like to be able to do it automatically as opposed to manual entry..........any suggestions would help!

Thanks!

:)

kts

cowboy
10-06-2004, 09:51 PM
I think that since the tsp is a fund not a stock you will have to continue to update manually. I do follow the stocks that our funds shadow on Yahoo but I dont think this is what you want. Maybe someone else knows as I do not use Quicken but do use Excel and with that I just copy the values in the evening to my excel spread sheet.

knots
10-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Cowboy,

Thanks for your response...........Mutual Fund NAV prices can be tracked with their symbol much like a stock. In my example, I own several USAA and Janus Mutual funds & every day, their NAV (price) can be tracked online (using any number of sites like Yahoo, Smartmoney or the hundreds of others). The fundNAV (Net asset Value), or theirprices, are updated at the end of the trading day just like stocks.............Quicken will update my portfolio value using online info for ALL of my funds with one click of the mouse because each fund I have can be referenced through it's official symbol. I would love to track my regular, non investment portfolio at the same place as my TSP............I guess I'll continue to update manually unless I learn otherwise.......I just thought we had the technology..............

Anyone else have any info?

-kts

Spaf
10-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Knots

Cowboy is right, to the best of my knowledge. The TSP are funds invested in other funds, and the TSP site references these other funds. You are looking for a market symbol. Sorry there isn't one. Thats what I was looking for! Cowboy suggested going to TSP Share Prices, thats the fastest. Today I went there at 6:15 PM and the new numbers were posted. Tom has added the returns to the home page. The alternate is to go to TSPMoney, but that is even later. You gotta remember Knots this is a government project, need Italk more! :u

Mike
10-07-2004, 02:08 AM
It'd be nice if we could program our programs to download the share prices off TSP.gov when they update at night.

In the meantime, you'll just have to enter it yourself - or trick your spouse / significant other into doing it for you.

tsptalk
10-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Rolo was working on that just before he left.

Spaf
10-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Tom. R U saying that he [blank, blank, blank] and is no longer here! Hmmmmm!

Ted
10-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Does anybody use a software program to chart the TSP funds, like they do with the the public traded stocks?

tsptalk
10-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Spaf wrote:
Tom. R U saying that he [blank, blank, blank] and is no longer here! Hmmmmm!
Re: Rolo. He said he's been busy and I believe he did post something the other day.

tsptalk
10-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Ted wrote:
Does anybody use a software program to chart the TSP funds, like they do with the the public traded stocks?
Hi Ted. Unfortunately there aren't any symbols for the funds to download. You have to use the indices thay track (i.e. the S&P 500, Wilshire 4500 etc.). I use my Excel spreadsheet and some here use Quicken, but for charts I think you'll have to use the indices.

Tom