PDA

View Full Version : CFC Combined Federal Campaign

FundSurfer
10-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Who did you give to this year? (Don't put down any amounts, any donation has merit, and maybe a little about why.)

Who I gave to this year:

Federal Employee Education & Assistance Fund, CFC# 11185. I think every federal employee should send them a little something to help out our own. They give out scholarships and assistance to federal employees who have been hit by disaster. http://www.feea.org/ Check them out if you never heard of them.

Red Cross, What they do is amazing. They need the money to help those in need.

Engineering Ministries International. This is a Christian organization of architects, engineers and design professionals who donate their skills to help children and families around the world step out of poverty and into a world of hope. I beleve in what they do.

National Public Radio. I'm a listener and feel obligated to do my part.

budnipper1
10-30-2007, 11:09 AM
I also send donations to the Red Cross and a couple of other agencies, but NOT through the CFC. I prefer to donate directly to the charitable groups. I sent a donation to Timothy Hill Ranch (http://www.timothyhillranch.org/index.ihtml) recently because I know who runs the ranch and they do good stuff. It's not hard to find worthy charities to support. In my opinion, the charity of your choice will get more bang for the buck through direct donations than from money channeled through a "middleman" like the CFC.

Cortez
10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
I support Special Olympics through my annual participation in a Polar Bear Plunge, in which each jumper has to raise a certain minimum amount in order to jump in the freezing water!

FundSurfer
10-30-2007, 12:22 PM
In my opinion, the charity of your choice will get more bang for the buck through direct donations than from money channeled through a "middleman" like the CFC.
This is a good point that I'd never considered before. What are the administrative cost deducted from donations going to charities? Anybody? I've always assumed it was low if not government subsidized. It is a convienient method of giving.

James48843
10-30-2007, 01:00 PM
This is a good point that I'd never considered before. What are the administrative cost deducted from donations going to charities? Anybody? I've always assumed it was low if not government subsidized. It is a convienient method of giving.

From our local CFC website:

What are the costs of the campaign?

Historically, campaign costs nationwide have averaged 10 percent. These funds were spent on printing materials, training volunteers, auditing contributions and other administrative expenses. All local campaign costs are reviewed and approved by the LFCC governing the local campaign. On average, this cost is low compared with other fundraising campaigns; therefore, every dollar you pledge goes a very long way toward helping others.

In 2006, our CFC adminstrative expenses amounted to 8.67% of funds collected.

James48843
10-30-2007, 01:07 PM
My support this year is going to go to:

# 35120 Michigan National Guard Family Fund, Inc.
(517)481-8358 EIN#38-3262212
Michigan National Guard Family Fund was established to receive contributions to assist Air and Army National Guard families in need of temporary emergency financial assistance. 2.2% P

I worked as a family support group leader for one of our local Guard deploying units. I can tell you that several of the members took huge hits in their income upon deployment, and several lost their homes in the process. The Michigan National Guard Family Fund distributed more than $130,000 in aid last year to wives (and husbands) and children of deployed members, who were having major problems meeting heating bills, food bills, etc.

This year they will need as much or more.

#35120. I know they people running it, and they very much need help. More data at:

http://www.themooseride.com/New%20Famfund.htm

grandma
10-30-2007, 06:08 PM
I tried CFC once, then during the following sign-up time I got a `thank you' from a group I would never even consider giving money to. That was then end of that! I even notified the charity that was to have received the donations, they said there was no way they could check it out. I double-checked my carbon to be sure I hadn't transposed the numbers or something - I notified my local campaign chairman, wrote to the appropriate folks in charge, and had a `typical response.' No other responses to my f/u queries as to `wot hoppen??'
I agree - the money goes farther when giving directly to your favorites - and they `get to know' you....which means you receive their mail-outs - but usually with good information. I don't like the idea of paying United Way staff to decide who will & who won't get my money, either..
The USO is a good way to help the troopers - you can buy phone cards for them, besides other catagories where you want your money to go.:)

James48843
10-31-2007, 08:27 AM
I tried CFC once, then during the following sign-up time I got a `thank you' from a group I would never even consider giving money to. That was then end of that!

Sorry to hear you had a problem.

I've done CFC many times over the years, starting back when I was active duty in the 1980's, and ever since I've been a fed (15 years) . I've never had a problem, and the ease of payroll deduction has always made it more likely that I will remember to give. I have no problem with the 8% or so that CFC takes for all their admin costs- the charity still gets more than they probably would have if I forgot to send them a monthly check or something.

While we are talking about it- anyone else have a "World Vision" child in another country?

Mine is in Albania- and we get letters several times a year. Great program.

camper65
10-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Christians Childrens Fund, Jose
i don't do CFC, I have my charities and leave it at that.

CountryBoy
10-31-2007, 08:57 AM
We’ve never contributed to the CFC, for the simple reason, I believe my money is better spent keeping it local as much as possible. We make monthly donations to our local volunteer fire department and local Red Cross In addition, for the past several years, we have been involved in the Adopt-a-soldier program by sending monthly care packages to a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan. These packages contain stuff like bug spray, candy, kool aid, little helmet lights, batteries phone cards, just the little things that make there life a little easier.

We live in a small town and there are always plenty of worthwhile projects (mainly youth sports leagues) that support the local community either thru donations or my time.

I'm just a big believer that charity begins at home and I now where my money goes. :)

CB

Wolverine
11-01-2007, 04:43 PM
I also send donations to the Red Cross and a couple of other agencies, but NOT through the CFC. I prefer to donate directly to the charitable groups. I sent a donation to Timothy Hill Ranch (http://www.timothyhillranch.org/index.ihtml) recently because I know who runs the ranch and they do good stuff. It's not hard to find worthy charities to support. In my opinion, the charity of your choice will get more bang for the buck through direct donations than from money channeled through a "middleman" like the CFC.

The CFC people showed up at our office today explaining things.

The one thing that is current, is that they showed us a book listing all the charities that one can support. That means that we can choose which one we would want to donate to.

No, I did not take a good look at the book and all. They delayed us for a half hour and I did not have the time to investigate futher.

Yes, years ago it was not this way, but now we have the ability to choose where we want the money to go.

I have always liked going the direct way with donations.

Just thought I would mention what I seen and heard today with the CFC people.

budnipper1
11-01-2007, 05:28 PM
The bad taste in my mouth concerning the CFC goes way back to my brief tour in the Army, (1967-70). Back then, it was called the UGF, United Givers Fund, and later the United Way Campaign. Of course, it was always promoted as a "voluntary" option, but it was pushed hard as though it was a "give-or-else" program. There have been some years when that same concept was attempted where I work now. It's always sold with a heart wrenching pep-talk about how fortunate we all are and we need to do it "for the team". A low level supervisor once told me that if his office didn't rate a high-enough percentage in donations, he was expected to personally cough up more than his usual generous donation to bring the numbers up for the office. I suppose my attitude about having something shoved down my throat stems from my red-necked genes, but "that dog won't hunt" where I came from. I'll gladly give to certain worthwhile charities because it feels good, but "the team" can take a hike.:notrust:

Wolverine
11-01-2007, 07:04 PM
The bad taste in my mouth concerning the CFC goes way back to my brief tour in the Army, (1967-70). Back then, it was called the UGF, United Givers Fund, and later the United Way Campaign. Of course, it was always promoted as a "voluntary" option, but it was pushed hard as though it was a "give-or-else" program. There have been some years when that same concept was attempted where I work now. It's always sold with a heart wrenching pep-talk about how fortunate we all are and we need to do it "for the team". A low level supervisor once told me that if his office didn't rate a high-enough percentage in donations, he was expected to personally cough up more than his usual generous donation to bring the numbers up for the office. I suppose my attitude about having something shoved down my throat stems from my red-necked genes, but "that dog won't hunt" where I came from. I'll gladly give to certain worthwhile charities because it feels good, but "the team" can take a hike.:notrust:

Yep, I understand what you are saying with it all.

Just thought I would mention some current info that we got today.

I have never liked any organization coming into the workplace taking up my time, when I have better things to do. I can search them out on my own when not at work.

It is all individual the way I see it, and should not be forced on people.

Yes, they did the pep-talk. Also, they brought in 5 people which is really a waste as I see it.

In fact, because of their delaying us, I could not produce all what I should have within my time frame for the day. They should have volunteered themselves to help me the rest of the day. LOL:D

What we as individuals do about giving to charities is our own business, whether we want it public or we want it anonymous. I prefer anonymous.

Silverbird
11-09-2007, 09:39 AM
My support goes to the Wounded Warrior Project (#11425) this year.
Wounded Warrior Project
CFC #11425 EIN #20-2370934 (540)432-0032 www.woundedwarriorproject.org (https://give.cfcnca.org/?results#) Overhead: 6.9% Taxonomy: P (https://give.cfcnca.org/?results#) F (https://give.cfcnca.org/?results#)
Provides unique services directly to severely injured servicemen and women, helps wounded service personnel and families, readjust to civilian life while coping with disabilities.