PDA

View Full Version : Eating your own cooking

uknowwho
10-09-2007, 08:01 PM
I was speaking to my Finance professor today and the subject of market timing came up. He claims that most who preach this don't practice it with their actual portfolios. He said if you want proof then just ask them to post their most recent quarterly statement and you will see that the trades never took place, most are buy and hold investors. For security purposes of course you must blackout the sensitive info like your SSN, ACCT # Address, but your name and the date must be present. So I'm going to various MKT timing website and asking them to show me the money. Prove that you eat your own cooking Tom. I will show the professor the results of my study the last week of the semester.

SkiUtah
10-09-2007, 08:16 PM
UR 2 funny.

pogo
10-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I was speaking to my Finance professor today and the subject of market timing came up. He claims that most who preach this don't practice it with their actual portfolios. He said if you want proof then just ask them to post their most recent quarterly statement and you will see that the trades never took place, most are buy and hold investors. For security purposes of course you must blackout the sensitive info like your SSN, ACCT # Address, but your name and the date must be present. So I'm going to various MKT timing website and asking them to show me the money. Prove that you eat your own cooking Tom. I will show the professor the results of my study the last week of the semester.
I will do it if tom show me how to do it with out people getting in to my account or any other information they should not know.

uknowwho
10-09-2007, 08:44 PM
I will do it if tom show me how to do it with out people getting in to my account or any other information they should not know.
Just blackout the sensitive info such as your SSN, Address, Acct #. You must leave your name and the statement date as proof it is yours. Thanks for your assistance.

nnuut
10-09-2007, 09:29 PM
You are on this Board, now we are showing you the MONEY!:D

uknowwho
10-09-2007, 09:40 PM

The professor won't accept the posted transactions on the site as proof the trades actually took place. I brought up the point that the trades are posted on the site yet he stated the timer's actual quarterly statement won't represent that which is posted on the site. I want to see for myself if what he claims is true and provide the evidence to him.

budnipper1
10-09-2007, 10:13 PM

Yeah, RIGHT! Like somebody's gonna give a guy, who has 22 posts under his belt, with a registered profile showing zero personal info outside of his join date, the financial records of his TSP transactions. :rolleyes: OK, I guess, but you go first, nnuut!:nuts:

nnuut
10-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Yeah, RIGHT! Like somebody's gonna give a guy, who has 22 posts under his belt, with a registered profile showing zero personal info outside of his join date, the financial records of his TSP transactions. :rolleyes: OK, I guess, but you go first, nnuut!:nuts:
All I have to say, for me personally is JUST TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, I am an honest man and everyone that posts on this board has no reason to fabricate their posts to make TSP Talk look good. I think that's about enough of that kind of talk BUSTER!!:nuts:

Show-me
10-10-2007, 07:26 AM
With my return, why would I lie?

uknowwho
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I see the professor was right. He said don't expect the timers to prove they eat their own cooking. :)

It's not very difficult to blackout the sensitive info and prove your trades are really taking place. Hell you could even cut out with scissors that info so there is NO question about a security breach. I'll see if any other MKT timer sites will show they're practicing what they preach.

Bullitt
10-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Guy, arguing timing vs buy and hold is like arguing Democrat vs Republican. There have been libraries written on both. There never will be a consensus. Besides, if this professor is such a financial wizard, he should know that 1 quarter is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Shoot... Five years is nothing when you've got eyes on a retirement 401K. So let's say someone does your homework for you and ends up beating the 500 in 3rd quarter. You'll just say, 'oh that's only one quarter and doesn't represent a long term approach.'

Q: How did Bill Miller manage to beat the 500 for 15 years straight? Not buy and hold. I'm sure Legg Mason will send you the past 15 years of his prospectus' if you tell them it's for educational purposes.

Good luck with your thesis.

SkyPilot
10-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Why would we be interested? Go fish in another pond... :cool:

Maybe ask the professor to validate his assertion with his research. Sounds like he gave you his "opinion" rather than his research. Bet he advocates "buy and hold"...

uknowwho
10-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Guy, arguing timing vs buy and hold is like arguing Democrat vs Republican. There have been libraries written on both. There never will be a consensus. Besides, if this professor is such a financial wizard, he should know that 1 quarter is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Shoot... Five years is nothing when you've got eyes on a retirement 401K. So let's say someone does your homework for you and ends up beating the 500 in 3rd quarter. You'll just say, 'oh that's only one quarter and doesn't represent a long term approach.'

Q: How did Bill Miller manage to beat the 500 for 15 years straight? Not buy and hold. I'm sure Legg Mason will send you the past 15 years of his prospectus' if you tell them it's for educational purposes.

Good luck with your thesis.

The issue is NOT whether or not you beat the street it is whether or not the Mkt timing is actually takig place within the traders actual account. Choosing the most recent account statement is the best evidence to prove it. Sorry you missed the point.

uknowwho
10-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Why would we be interested? Go fish in another pond... :cool:

Maybe ask the professor to validate his assertion with his research. Sounds like he gave you his "opinion" rather than his research. Bet he advocates "buy and hold"...

I'm conducting the study myself to see if he is correct. I want to see if his claim is valid and am going to the source myself.

SkyPilot
10-10-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm conducting the study myself to see if he is correct. I want to see if his claim is valid and am going to the source myself.

Essentially then, your assertion is that those who post their moves are liars.

To determine if his claim is valid, challenge him to demonstrate what he states has a basis in fact. If he can provide evidence to support his claim, then, at that point, pursue research to validate or disprove that claim. He is your first source...

The participants on this board are not subjects for your research. And your methodology can hardly support data which could be considered a "study".

As far as "proving" anything, why do we care if you beleive it or not?

Minnow
10-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Uknowwho...

I believe your approach is all wrong. Not sure if you are now a student and were formerly a gov. worker/military or what. But just coming on the message board and asking the creator of this site to put up or shut up is probably not the best approach to get the results you want.

Perhaps a private message to Tom letting him know who you are and giving him a little background about yourself and then requesting his assistance and positing solutions to your dilemma might be a better approach rather than incurring the ire of the entire board.

I've only tried market timing for one quarter and it did great for me so I'm sticking with it until it is no longer making me money. Before that I was buying and holding and that did fine as well. I'm about making as much money with as much risk as I personally can tolerate ... as are most of my fellow gov't workers. I can't speak for everyone here but we all value Tom, and the other main contributors to this site and would rather see a more cautious tone in the message boards.

Besides, you get more flies with honey than with vinegar. :D

SkyPilot
10-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Just blackout the sensitive info such as your SSN, Address, Acct #. You must leave your name and the statement date as proof it is yours. Thanks for your assistance.

You gotta be kidding? :nuts: How presumptuous is that? :D

camper65
10-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Just a thought, But.
Isn’t a “Market Timing “ or “Buy and Hold “ philosophy some what dependent on a persons economic situation and status? I have to ask myself if it would be as conducive for me to do “Market Timing” if it weren’t for the fact that my IFT are free?
As I tell my fellow workers, “You have a rare and golden opportunity that few have, FREE IFT’S”.

uknowwho
10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Essentially then, your assertion is that those who post their moves are liars.

To determine if his claim is valid, challenge him to demonstrate what he states has a basis in fact. If he can provide evidence to support his claim, then, at that point, pursue research to validate or disprove that claim. He is your first source...

The participants on this board are not subjects for your research. And your methodology can hardly support data which could be considered a "study".

As far as "proving" anything, why do we care if you beleive it or not?

If you are not interested in this study then step aside and let others who are assist me. I want to see for myself if his claim is true or false. I am contacting other sites as well as part of my sample. Sorry you are so offended.

camper65
10-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Just a thought, But.
Isn’t a “Market Timing “ or “Buy and Hold “ philosophy some what dependent on a persons economic situation and status? I have to ask myself if it would be as conducive for me to do “Market Timing” if it weren’t for the fact that my IFT are free?
As I tell my fellow workers, “You have a rare and golden opportunity that few have, FREE IFT’S”.
Note; As i always keep in mind," particularly with salesman, etc"
"Hey Fella, I don't know you and you don't know me". just because we pass a few lines on the enternet doesn't mean I'd let you borrow my car!. (etc)

budnipper1
10-10-2007, 01:17 PM
OK, uknowwho...Since I have a gov't job and have a lot of spare time on my hands, I've edited my last TSP Qtr 3 statement to hide the specific info that I would not normally reveal to anybody.(but you, of course):D

It's all ready to post on this thread, and I will do that as soon as you properly introduce yourself to the rest of us.
I need to know the following about you:

In which federal agency do you work and for how long?
Your home state?
Explain why you do not wish to receive emails, as reflected in your profile.

Update your profile to show this information and I'll immediately post and attach the first and last pages of my 5 page quarterly statement, showing the information you requested. How's that?:)
You can compare the interfund transfers of the statements to my posted IFT's in my Budnipper1's account (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=4007) and see that they match exactly.

Spaf
10-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Stop!

Please do not post any personal or account information on the internet or in any way that it can be traced, misused , etc.

SkyPilot
10-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Stop!

Please do not post any personal or account information on the internet or in any way that it can be traced, misused , etc.

CAUTION! CAUTION! CAUTION!

Let "uknowwho" validate their federal employemnt, their TSP participation and their student status in the same way it is requested that we reveal (for possible publication with your name attached) our personal and private info.

Never ever do what is being requested, ever!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

SkyPilot
10-10-2007, 02:15 PM
If you are not interested in this study then step aside and let others who are assist me. I want to see for myself if his claim is true or false. I am contacting other sites as well as part of my sample. Sorry you are so offended.

Yes, I find your request offensive in the extreme, and I will not step aside. I will aggresively resist your attempt to use the good members of this forum as your lab rats. :mad:

budnipper1
10-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes, I find your request offensive in the extreme, and I will not step aside. I will aggresively resist your attempt to use the good members of this forum as your lab rats. :mad:
I agree with you, SkyPilot, that his request was unusual and maybe, downright rude. But, I've made my deal to him and I'll follow through with my promises if he holds up his end of my bargain, although I doubt if he will.:rolleyes:

SkyPilot
10-10-2007, 02:24 PM
I agree with you, SkyPilot, that his request was unusual and maybe, downright rude. But, I've made my deal to him and I'll follow through with my promises if he holds up his end of my bargain, although I doubt if he will.:rolleyes:

I suspect your are correct :) .

malyla
10-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Since most poster's moves are posted by the noon deadline for the next day, it seems to me that even if the poster was not "truely" moving their money around, the fact that their returns (regardless of whether an IFT was made) show that they are beating the market should be enough proof in their market timing strategies.

This whole thing from uknowwho sounds like a Phishing expedition (IMHO).

I'm back for a little while. :D

budnipper1
10-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Agreed. But uknowho (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/member.php?u=3063) (or his professor?) suggested that the posted IFT's proved nothing and were merely hypothetical transactions in a trading game, and that he seriously doubted that the participants mirrored those moves in their actual TSP accounts. (hence, the subject of the thread, "Eating your own cooking")

Since most poster's moves are posted by the noon deadline for the next day, it seems to me that even if the poster was not "truely" moving their money around, the fact that their returns (regardless of whether an IFT was made) show that they are beating the market should be enough proof in their market timing strategies.

This whole thing from uknowwho sounds like a Phishing expedition (IMHO).
I'm back for a little while. :D

tsptalk
10-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Why do you think the TSP is squawking over the active trading?

Minnow
10-10-2007, 04:04 PM
uknowwho is OIG or SEC, comprende?

ixnay on the arketmay imingtay

budnipper1
10-10-2007, 04:15 PM
No, not likely. After looking back to his earliest postings last May, he said he was in the military had been invested in the TSP since 2004. I have no specific reason to doubt that.
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showpost.php?p=92480&postcount=1 (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showpost.php?p=92480&postcount=1)

uknowwho is OIG or SEC, comprende?
ixnay on the arketmay imingtay:D

FUTURESTRADER
10-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Agreed. But uknowho (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/member.php?u=3063) (or his professor?) suggested that the posted IFT's proved nothing and were merely hypothetical transactions in a trading game, and that he seriously doubted that the participants mirrored those moves in their actual TSP accounts. (hence, the subject of the thread, "Eating your own cooking")

who cares what he/it/they say...he's just goading you/us for his own perverted entertainment, like he and his other incarnations, has in the past. The data on the Tracker is sufficient. I vote to delete this thread and ban 'uknowwho' under Tom's very efficient 'You're just a nuisance" clause :) And as for his 'Professor', I would like to remind him of the adage, "Those who can, do and those who can't, teach"

BigJohn
10-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Give that man a hrmph!!

SkyPilot
10-10-2007, 04:34 PM
who cares what he/it/they say...he's just goading you/us for his own perverted entertainment, like he and his other incarnations, has in the past. The data on the Tracker is sufficient. I vote to delete this thread and ban 'uknowwho' under Tom's very efficient 'You're just a nuisance" clause :) And as for his 'Professor', I would like to remind him of the adage, "Those who can, do and those who can't, teach"

Yeh, he has that Desparado kinda thingy about him, y'knowwho :D

budnipper1
10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Yeh, he has that Desparado kinda thingy about him, y'knowwho :D
I think maybe he's just ignoring us all.:nuts:
~ WHO AM I ??? ~

Minnow
10-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Walter O'Reilly? -- Gary Burghoff? -- Radar?

budnipper1
10-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Walter O'Reilly? -- Gary Burghoff? -- Radar?
yep...all of the above.:D