PDA

View Full Version : Hi

jmb
09-22-2007, 01:33 AM
I've been lurking for a few days; decided I better check in and see if I can learn some things from ya'll. :)

Problem is, I'm not at all sure I'll be able to decipher all the "financal speak" I've come across in the posts I've read -- it's like a whole new langague. :worried:

About me....I'm career civil service...and will have 28 years in January. I was a late switcher (mid '88) from CSRS to FERS as I was a tad suspicious :suspicious: of the new program during the initial opportunity Uncle Sam encouraged switching.

In the beginning, I figured since I could only get a 5% match I didn't need to contribute the maximum allowed, so I put my 5% contribution into the G Fund (being the suspicious and conservative sort); it didn't take me long to realize that I should up my contributions to 10% and to increase them each time the limit was raised --- seemed as though the tax shelter alone could keep you in a lower tax bracket. Unfortunately, it took me much longer - 5 years - before I decided to venture out of the safe G Fund into the F and C Funds.

After reviewing the annual reports, I decided I liked the profits of the C Fund best...so from mid '93 to present, most all contributions have gone into the C Fund. I took the theory to heart that you have to ride out the bad times with the good so I transition into a consistent sort by sticking it out during the 2000-2002 bust. I rationalized losses didn't really hurt because I theorized I only lost the "free matching money" so it didn't matter that much.

While searching the web to determine if I would exceed the elective deferral limits if I max out TSP contributions at $15,500 AND contribute to a Roth IRA (determined I won't), I stumble onto ya'll here and think maybe it's time for another transition.

Seems as though there are alot of "day traders" here...I'm not by any means ready to jump into that yet. However, a question that immediately comes to mind...Is there a certain time of the day that you have to initiate an IFT by to ensure it's effective before the end of the day?

Any and all information, advice and guidance ya'll can provide will be appreciated. :blink:

Ciao

SCHAGAN
09-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Seems as though there are alot of "day traders" here...I'm not by any means ready to jump into that yet. However, a question that immediately comes to mind...Is there a certain time of the day that you have to initiate an IFT by to ensure it's effective before the end of the day?

11 A.M. CENTRAL TIME

James48843
09-22-2007, 06:56 AM
Welcome jmb- nice to have you aboard.

Yes, in the TSP, you have to have your IFT in by noon eastern time, in order to have it effective that day.

Feel free to browse around and you'll find a TON of information here. We're all in the TSP together, so feel free to post any question or ask if you see something you're not sure you understand.

Not everyone is a trader- many are buy and hold'ers too, although once people learn a lot more about their investments (like you) they tend to move away from the "G" only and into a vareity of investments for the long haul.

Knowledge is power- so learn all you can.

Welcome, Happy investing, and good luck.

jmb
09-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks James and SCHAGAN, appreciate the info.

I've read a lot in here but hadn't seen that spelled out yet.

nnuut
09-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Welcome jmb, so much to learn, so little time. I'm still learning!
Norman:D

EW_ret
09-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Welcome to our forums. You can join the Automated Tracker once you have 10 posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules in my signature. Its still in testing by our members, but its working and tracking member fund transfers and allocations. Click Members Ranking (http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_user_balance_all.php) to see the current rankings.