PDA

View Full Version : I need a vacation

James48843
09-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Sheesh. This year has been hectic at the day job. And now I am carrying a "use or loose" balance on annual leave.

My wife hasn't worked in 15 months (michigan's economy sucks), and I haven't had a vacation - a REAL vacation, in years.

So I am thinking- I may just take a couple weeks off in october or november, and go somewhere nice.

Warm is good, but not really a must.

Peaceful is more important. Quiet is good too.

So where would you suggest for a nice 4 or 5 day getaway, that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg, where I can get some nice Rest and Relaxation?

Do you know of a nice, quiet spot that would make an ideal vacation?

How about a photo, and a paragraph, about someplace YOU know about, that would make a nice vacation getaway for my wife and I?

What do you suggest?

Eldritch Flatus
09-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Durango, Colorado; to ride the narrow gauge RR to Silverton, RIGHT NOW!(sorry for yelling) Now untill the end of the first week in October, for the most spectacular sights and experience what transportation was like 100 years ago! Durango & Silverton Narrowgauge RR.. Google it. You want to be there for the fall colors, and they are happening right now.
Pagosa Springs Co. is also very good. Great Hot Springs. I really love Southern Colorado. Never can get enough. Ouray, Telluride. Silverton. Crested Butte, Pikes Peak.
Cumbres & Toltec Narrow Gauge RR from Chama N.M, to Antonito Co. is another one. I haven't taken this one, but I have backpacked all over it's route in all 4 seasons. (30-40 years ago!) I just gotta ride it someday soon.
Hike the Grand Canyon, north and south rims and Havasupai reservation. Colorado River and Rio Grand River rafting. Canyonlands. Sonoma resorts in Arizona if you golf.
Carlsbad Caverns New Mexico. Chaco Canyon, if you like old Native American Stuff(Anasazi culture).
The River Walk In San Antonio Tex. is highly recommended.
Oh.....yeah. Drive the Coastal Highway #1 in California. From north of L.A. to as far north as you can go. (Oregon? Washington? and in a convertible.)

Spaf
09-15-2007, 02:36 AM
Jim,

Plan for a permanent get-a-way!

i.e., ---> http://eufaulachamberofcommerce.com/.

Sheesh. This year has been hectic at the day job. And now I am carrying a "use or loose" balance on annual leave.

How about a photo, and a paragraph, about someplace YOU know about, that would make a nice vacation getaway for my wife and I?

What do you suggest?

Gilligan
09-15-2007, 07:01 AM
So I am thinking- I may just take a couple weeks off in october or november, and go somewhere nice.

Warm is good, but not really a must.
.............What do you suggest?

My recommendation for a warm vacation is to take a cruise. They can be relatively inexpensive. If you add up your room, all the food you care to eat, entertainment and ports of call, IMO it’s a bargain.

Cruises from $179
http://vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=24585
http://vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=15832
They even offer Military discounts for active duty, reservist and veterans
http://vacationstogo.com/military_discounts.cfm

Skybus.com is advertising fares from $10 but on their website the lowest I could find was $50 plus fees.
Southwest.com is advertising fares from $49

Show-me
09-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Take a train ride any where.

GGal
09-15-2007, 07:45 AM
So you live in Michigan? I'm planning a week's vacation in the UP for next spring.

My favorite trip I've ever been on though was the trip to Cape Cod a few year's back.

It was so serene. I want to go back there one day.

GGAL

SkyPilot
09-15-2007, 09:41 AM
I am returning to Ukraine on a missions trip. Not exactly a vacation, but it is a beautiful country and fascinating culture. If there, visit the market by St. Andrew's Church. Then eat at the Korea House, a cross cultural experience of Korean food served by Chinese hosts in a Ukrainian city while listening to American top 40 musak... :)

Callme_CO
09-15-2007, 10:20 AM
i'm planning a vacation to my living room. :) i am going to visit the love seat and the couch. Then i'm going to eat at the luxirious Kitchen and take in a few movies on the tube. :) have a good one everyone.

cap32
10-01-2007, 05:10 PM
i'm planning a vacation to my living room. :) i am going to visit the love seat and the couch. Then i'm going to eat at the luxirious Kitchen and take in a few movies on the tube. :) have a good one everyone.

now that fire season has slowed down:suspicious: I should have more time to follow the board :nuts:

IllinifanMichael
10-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I need one too !! Haven't slowed down hardly at all and I am BURNT out, and still a bit to do yet. Even my so called vacations this year have been working ones here around the house. I took 3 days off a few weeks ago just so I could get 4 -6 hours of sleep in a day! Sucks to be me... Still have a hallway to finish, just installed a light in it with 2 three way switches at each end, sooooo now it's bright in there and my wife said it needs some spackling and painting :worried: doh!!! I am mostly done (like 95% done) with redoing son's room and daughters room. Still have family room to redo yet.
I've been so busy I didn't even have time to visit here or play golf. But now taking a few hours a day since major stuff is done and doing work around here in evenings on Thursdays and Fridays. I guess I should mention my wife also got a huge promotion in her company which now takes up a lot of her time (travel etc) and I have to pick up slack here at home. 1st thing I learned is that ummmm errrrrr not everything in a kitchen goes INTO the dishwasher... :D:laugh:

Can't much recommend any place in particular for you and your wife to go, no idea what you enjoy. Beaches are nice, the Keys in Florida are awesome. I love the Carribean & Bahama's too. I also love Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe and Reno especially the shows. Trips into say Chicago and going to a day spa is the, ummm I dunno whats a proper word, lets go with brilliant/awesome/sweet, I can almost guarantee you'll fall asleep as will your wife while getting massaged and pampered. I also like shopping with my wife in a relaxing mode too, you know just her and I not shopping for anything inparticular eating out and coming home in evening.

Jeeesh in writing this I realize, I need a vacation.... :)

ChemEng
10-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Ive got plenty of space in my back yard if you got the itch to drink beer and shoot at turkies.

Let me know. :)

I feel your pain also. Been that way for awhile since I got my new job.

EW_ret
10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
I'd look into spots close by in Michigan. It’s got to cut down on the travel costs. Michigan has great costal places to visit. The water sights and sounds are soothing and relaxing. I miss all the fresh water events and the fishing in Michigan. I don't care much for the salt water stuff around Virginia. I can only take a couple days at the coastal beaches. The salt water is harsh on the skin and not made for swimming.