PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Clinton?

BeaverState
09-09-2007, 09:59 AM
I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on how Hillary Clinton, Democratic Presidential nominiee, would be in regards to the Thrift Savings Plan. In my view the Republican's have been good for us since they raised the amount of contributions we could put in. Do you think Hillary Clinton, if elected, would repeal this and go back to the 10 percent max contribution level?

nnuut
09-09-2007, 10:11 AM
I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on how Hillary Clinton, Democratic Presidential nominiee, would be in regards to the Thrift Savings Plan. In my view the Republican's have been good for us since they raised the amount of contributions we could put in. Do you think Hillary Clinton, if elected, would repeal this and go back to the 10 percent max contribution level?
I don't see her changing contribution levels, as a matter of fact I don't see her as the President for that matter! :suspicious:

Show-me
09-09-2007, 11:37 AM
I think it would be difficult for any professional liar, I mean politician to lower what a individual may contributions to their retirement and bang the Social Security drum at the same time.

budnipper1
09-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't see her changing contribution levels, as a matter of fact I don't see her as the President for that matter! :suspicious:

I agree with nnuut and Show-me...:sick:

nnuut
09-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree with nnuut and Show-me...:sick:
Anybody, ANYBODY but her and Bill!:nuts:

SkyPilot
09-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Anybody, ANYBODY but her and Bill!:nuts:

Normally, I would agree. But now I find myself in the odd position of viewing her as more pragmatic than many of the other candidates. Even her husband seems conservative given the comparisons (on both sides).

This next presidential election will be truly depressing for me. :(

ChemEng
09-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Normally, I would agree. But now I find myself in the odd position of viewing her as more pragmatic than many of the other candidates. Even her husband seems conservative given the comparisons (on both sides).

This election my vote is going to be on the person who is most likely to listen to people around them instead of the one who can do their best long term mule impression.:D

Show-me
09-09-2007, 01:46 PM

I concur. :(

BeaverState
09-09-2007, 02:44 PM
I can't say I liked Bill Clinton either. The one thing I really liked that he did is FFLA. (Family Friendly Leave act) It made honest employees out of all of us. ;)

nnuut
09-09-2007, 02:47 PM
NAFTA<> GATT etc. make up for that ONE good thing!:suspicious: Goodbye USA jobs!!:sick:

nnuut
09-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I liked Fred Thompson until I heard him speak on the tube one night. To paraphrase he said" And get rid of this uncontrollable, costly Government Civil Service and replace it with one that etc., etc.:sick: Don't like the S$B now! :nuts:

BeaverState
09-09-2007, 06:07 PM
I liked Fred Thompson until I heard him speak on the tube one night. To paraphrase he said" And get rid of this uncontrollable, costly Government Civil Service and replace it with one that etc., etc.:sick: Don't like the S$B now! :nuts:
Wow. I had no idea he was like that.

Show-me
09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
I like Fred too, but let's not forget he is a actor that play the tough, likable, good guy.

How do you know when a actor is really sincere? You don't if they are any good at acting.

budnipper1
09-09-2007, 07:21 PM

"Get rid of " is stronger wording than any quotes I've found of Fred, relating to the civil service system. The articles below quote his comments aimed at bureaucratic, red tape issues dealing with waste, fraud and mismanagement. It sounds more like his emphasis was about improving or modernizing the civil service system instead of getting rid of it.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YTVjY2I4NmRkMTI0MDZkNzQ3OWM1OWM0NmQ2NTYyMDE (http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YTVjY2I4NmRkMTI0MDZkNzQ3OWM1OWM0NmQ2NTYyMDE)=
"Whether it’s the Katrina response, the problems at Walter Reed Medical Center, bungled border security, or the IRS and FBI which can’t get their computer systems working, it seems like we’ve lost our ability to take care of some of the most basic duties of government.

Not that this problem is new. For decades, the U.S. Government Accountability Office has told us, time and time again, that we’ve lost control of the waste and fraud and mismanagement in many of our most important agencies. And it’s getting worse.

A big part of the problem is our outmoded civil-service system that makes it too hard to hire good employees and too hard to fire bad ones. The bureaucracy has become gargantuan, making accountability and reform very difficult."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110009798 (http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110009798)
The next president, according to Mr. Thompson, needs to exercise strong leadership "and get down in the weeds and fix a civil-service system that makes it too hard to hire good employees and too hard to fire bad ones." He doesn't offer specifics on what to do, but notes the "insanity" of the new Congress pushing for the unionization of homeland security employees only five years after it rejected the notion in the wake of 9/11. "Should we tie ourselves up in bureaucratic knots with the challenges we may have to face?" he asks in wonderment.

http://thehill.com/john-fortier/the-forecast-for-fred-2007-06-06.html (http://thehill.com/john-fortier/the-forecast-for-fred-2007-06-06.html)
Thompson became chairman of the Governmental Affairs Committee early in his career. In this capacity, he worked on a number of relatively non-partisan government reform issues such as improving the appointments process and modernizing the civil service. He worked well with ranking member Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.). One of his most significant legislative achievements was shepherding through legislation to create the Department of Homeland Security.

nnuut
09-09-2007, 08:35 PM
I think your post about says it all. I have a tendency to read between the lines when politicians speak. The changes are already starting, if you are in the new NSPS then you know what I'm talking about, it's just the first step to make civil service turn around and COST LESS!! Where will the savings come from? Out of the Civil Servant's pockets. Just hang in there and watch it happen. With all due respect, JMHO.:worried:

James48843
09-09-2007, 08:48 PM
No republicans for me, thank you. I used to be one of those. Then, the new pay system forced on employees, the rampent politicization of my agency, etc, have pretty much convincd me that no republican is ever to be trusted again.

I kind of like Biden's experience, and have great respect for Obama.

I would never vote for Hillary. Ever.

nnuut
09-09-2007, 09:04 PM
It's already happening in FAA.

Under the "Core Compensation system", pay bands have lead to generally 30% lower salarys for those under the system. Annual increases are cut too. No step increases mean that instead of a 3.5% annual raise, and a 3.3% "step" increase for newer employees, everyone (opr I should say the majority, not everyone) gets just a single 4% increase, until they cap out at the top of the pay bands.

Which means that basically everyone over age 50 gets no raise at all.

It sucks.

No republicans for me, thank you. I used to be one of those. Then, the new pay system forced on employees, the rampent politicization of my agency, etc, have pretty much convincd me that no republican is ever to be trusted again.

I kind of like Biden's experience, and have great respect for Obama.

I would never vote for Hillary. Ever.

Now that's what I'm talking about. So you can get a cost of living raise (they call it that but it's not) or a bonus, it's their choice. With a bonus your pay stays the same, thusly your retirement doesn't gain a thing. Multiply that times the number of Government workers. Don't get me started, it gets worse. I don't believe a darn thing the politicians are preaching, I've learned better! Like I said "get rid of"!:suspicious:

Birchtree
09-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Just another good reason to learn about investments and get involved in TSP. There is ample opportunity and great potential gains to be had. Just learn before you churn - then the door is wide open.

budnipper1
09-09-2007, 09:44 PM
I think your post about says it all. I have a tendency to read between the lines when politicians speak. The changes are already starting, if you are in the new NSPS then you know what I'm talking about, it's just the first step to make civil service turn around and COST LESS!! Where will the savings come from? Out of the Civil Servant's pockets. Just hang in there and watch it happen. With all due respect, JMHO.:worried:

Point taken, nnuut. I agree that you have to read between lines with any of them. They all have their own agenda, to some degree. We usually have to choose between the lesser of evils. So far, Fred's views are more on track with some of the key issues that are important to me. My second choice would be Duncan Hunter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Hunter), but his chance of getting nominated looks slim unless something happens to pump up his popularity. Since you've crossed Fred and Hillary off the list, would you care to name your candidate from the list of who's left?

http://thehill.com/endorsements-2008.html (http://thehill.com/endorsements-2008.html)

nnuut
09-09-2007, 09:49 PM
I know what you mean budnipper1, I can't make up my mind who I like!:confused:

BeaverState
09-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Hum.. Actor, Union President, Californian... Sounds like a Democrat, yet it's Ronald Regan.

charmed855
09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
No step increases mean that instead of a 3.5% annual raise, and a 3.3% "step" increase for newer employees, everyone (opr I should say the majority, not everyone) gets just a single 4% increase, until they cap out at the top of the pay bands.
Which means that basically everyone over age 50 gets no raise at all.
It sucks.

NSPS isn't touching our COLA increase yet (unless your a poor performer - they can take your locality pay). It's a tough luck story. If you are a poor performer or in the wrong pay pool, you probably won't do well. On the other hand, people that are performing above average have a chance to progress. If you're a step 10, GS-11, 12 or 14, your salary ceiling raises significantly. As with my GS rate, I happen to be at the top of my payband so there's not much in it for me besides the normal COLA and bonus.

budnipper1
09-09-2007, 10:43 PM
I like Fred too, but let's not forget he is a actor that play the tough, likable, good guy.

How do you know when a actor is really sincere? You don't if they are any good at acting.
Good point. We really can never be absolutely sure about anybody's sincerity, especially of politicians. About all we can do is keep tabs and compare what they have said they would do, to their actions actually carried out. Most political figures, in my opinion, fit the mold of "actors"; some, because of dealing with the media, others just being publicity hams.

On the other hand, Ronald Reagan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Reagan) was an actor and while President, he took a lot of heat for that. It was years after he left the White House before the media and historians changed their opinions about his ability and accomplishments.

BeaverState
09-10-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm not feeling a lot of love for Hillary in this forum.

grandma
09-10-2007, 04:02 PM
All politicians Are actors - they learn to pose for their photos, how to carry themselves, what kind of expressions to use when. They're like ball players that watch reruns of their games, they assess what went wrong, & what they did well by their standards. The problem is they are out of character, and it will slip at the most inopportune time. Folks like Fred are natural, the way he carries himself has not been seen as any different from Red October to the present. I don't see any glamor nor polish in him. I think I might be more apt to trust someone I Know has an acting career as someone I've already seen change her/his character parts intermittently after the play started.
This link can show how character comes thru, no matter if it is the reporting unit or the people themselves.......:suspicious:
http://tinyurl.com/2zrvbl

Show-me
09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Score one for team Hillary even if they did not start the rumor. If true, I guess J.J. did not know Barack's mama IS white.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297332,00.html

Jesse Jackson reportedly ripped presidential candidate Barack Obama for "acting like he's white," according to The State newspaper in South Carolina, but the civil rights leader says he doesn't recall making any such comment.
Jackson, who endorsed Obama for president in March, reportedly blasted the Illinois senator for failing to bring attention to the case of six black kids arrested on attempted murder charges in Jena, La.