PDA

View Full Version : Air Reserve Technicians / Mandatory Military Uniform

Fivetears
08-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Air Force officials changed three instructions Aug. 7 to require all Air Reserve Technicians to wear military uniforms rather than civilian clothes while working in civilian status. ARTs are full-time civilian employees who serve in the same job as Air Force reservists.
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123063842

Any thoughts on this?
Feel free to vent.

Personal opinion... It sucks.
No military clothing allowance.
No testing for higher rank.
No weekly military pay (to include BAS/BAQ).
Military rank & WG pay series doesn't match; not equal (WG-10/SSgt) (WG-10/MSgt)
Expense of weekly military haircuts for men.
Daily military shaving for men.

There are many more. :suspicious: :notrust: :mad:

ChemEng
08-22-2007, 10:40 PM
That does sound odd. Must be a morale issue? Maybe just for espirit decorps?

Its commonplace in the Army for a reservist in ACUs to work alongside a civilian in civis doing the same job. So Im guessing the distinction has to do with the ARTs which Im not sure if the Army has a similar analogue.

Fivetears
08-23-2007, 12:54 AM
When a WG-10 Step 5 takes home @ $1025 in SATX every 14 days...
and the same WG-10 serving on Active Duty as an E-7 is getting paid @ $1950 every 15 days...
there's a fair payment problem.

If they want Federal Employee ART RESERVISTS in a military uniform full time... then pay us without bias and give us the same promotional opportunity, pay and benefits.

Pay us our full military retirement at 20 years of service (while you're at it too). We currently have quite a waiting time, where a few of us will not live long enough reap benefit.

Our reasons for concern are numerous.

Many of us ART's left active duty service for various reasons ChemEng; some personal.

Griffin
08-23-2007, 01:22 PM
As the article mentioned, this has been going on in the Army and Guard side for quite some time. The uniform vs non-uniform issue is relatively inconsequential (I used to be a consultant before I came on as a dual status fed - my laundry bill went way down :)).

The advantage to being a tech is a TSP match and you end up with both a reserve and a civilian retirement - two retirement's for the price of one! While you may not make as much, you are also not subject to the "move up or move out" requirements that someone on active duty is which allows you to do thirty-plus years. Have you ever compared a 30 year reserve retirement to a twenty year active duty?...it''s so close it's unbelievabe except as a reservist you don't collect until 60.

The point is, if you do the active duty thing, you will end up having to cram so much of that extra tax free BAH/BAS money into your TSP to equate to the dual-status retirement, that you will end up only being able to spend slightly more. More importantly, after you get the boot in 20+ years from the active duty, you will likely have to go back out into the civilian world and continue to work (and probably have to start over). Be careful what you ask for - dual status tech jobs are sweet, IF you can keep your body together long enough (but then again with the Air Force PT test - that's not an issue :toung:). I'll retire in my late fifties with just under forty years of service - if I dont' break my neck from sit-ups before then. Either way, I'll never work again :nuts:.

Fivetears
08-27-2007, 04:39 PM
The Air Reserve Technicians wanting to voice concerns with the new policies and changes dealing with the civilian function on the military bases, go here;
http://www.petitiononline.com/ARTS2007/
Even though this letter doesn't represent every ART’s opinion on the changes, it represents a large volume of the working ART community.
I'm No. 1715.

Fivetears
09-28-2007, 11:10 AM
The Air Force Reserve Command’s edict to conscript civilian employees into military service by forcing them to wear military uniforms while performing their civilian jobs is just plain wrong. While it is true that these civilian employees are required to keep membership in the Air Force Reserves in order to retain their civilian jobs, they are Monday to Friday, civilian employees. No different than any other civilian employee in the Department of Defense.

The Air Force Reserve Command, in their quest for what they declare will ensure discipline and order, feel they own these civilian employees and can force them to not only wear the military uniform, but require them to follow military customs, courtesies, and policies concerning appropriate activities when in uniform.

While the Air Force claims recognition of these new inductees via a backdoor draft to the Air Force as civilian employees, they promise that violations of any of these new rules will be prosecuted using disciplinary procedures for civilian employees. They are so committed to recognizing these employees rights as civilians, they have drafted a pre-formated letter of disciplinary action to ease the burden of punishing those who do not comply.

The Air Force Reserve Command feels justified in their actions and are angered by the feelings of distrust exhibited by affected employees. In response to open debate and discussion in the workplace, some agency officials have taken to coercive and intimidation of employees trying to gain compliance with the new order. Unrepresented employees are already forced to wear the uniform in this new drafted version of the all volunteer military service.

These civilian employees, who already serve the Air Force Reserve twice by their commitment to one week end a month and 14 days a year for annual training as a reservist, will now for the most part, be conscripted to full time military service without the benefit of the pay or benefits afforded active component airman.

I am reminded of a statement during the pre-statutory meetings with DOD on NSPS, when then UnderSecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, Charlie Abel stated, DOD envisions a civilian force capable of being deployed any where around the globe with seven days notice. This move by the Air Force Reserve Command bears a striking resemblance to his statement. At least a strong first step in that direction.

We should not forget the limitations that will be placed on these civilian employees’ personal liberties and rights once they are required to don the uniform to appease general staff officers of the Air Force Reserve. If traveling to and from work in the uniform, they will still be required to execute military customs and courtesies, they will be forbidden at stopping at certain places of business while in uniform, unable to attend a political meeting or event in uniform, and a host of other restrictions.

While as a union, we can attempt to minimize the adverse effects this mandate will have on these employees, it is Congress’s problem to fix. Congress has to decide if they are willing to accept for all practical purposes, a draft or conscription of federal employees and force them into military battle dress uniforms. Subject to the same rules of military order as one of the men and women these civilians serve every day of their federal careers.

Congress needs to act. They have two choices. Immediately pass legislation that exempts members of the reserves from being compelled into uniform unless serving as a reservist or activated and under orders. Or, they could convince the Secretary of the Air Force that this notion is not acceptable to the Congress and should be immediately abandoned.

The only ones who can force Congress to act is you. It requires affirmative action on your part, personally and positively. I suggest you do it now, before your rights as a citizen prevent you from visiting with your member of Congress on your way home from work because you’re in uniform.

By Mark Gibson
Washington, DC
http://www.afge.org/Index.cfm?Page=UnionBlog&Hit=286

Fivetears
09-28-2007, 11:32 AM
A short history lesson is in order here. In order for us to fully understand where and (more importantly) why we are today… we must understand our beginning. We were around 25 years of age and chosen for our enthusiasm, reliability, and strength. We usually assembled four times a year to train for fighting, and were ready for rapid deployment at the call to arms. We were not provided arms or uniforms. We equipped and armed ourselves and wore our own clothes. We trained right alongside of close friends, family and relatives. Our expertise suited the values of irregular warfare tactics, ... it favored our style of combat. We were the 1645 Minutemen, 1765 Sons of Liberty, and the 1776 Patriots that brought independence, freedom and liberty to this land we continue to defend today; uniforms not required.

Somebody in Air Force Reserve Command thought that civilian attire didn't give the spit-polish clean-shaven image he would like to see. Perhaps this person has forgotten his (or her) roots. Rivers of blood flowed from deeply dedicated men and women, many of whom wore no more than the hand sewn clothes on their backs, in the defense of independence, freedom and liberty for everyone living in this beautiful country.

We are the United States Air Force Reserves. We are Air Reserve Technicians; ART’s. We wear our symbolic blue jeans, steel toe boots, and T-shirts proudly on the job; in a time honored tradition that dates back over 350 years. Make no mistake about our dedication to this great country, by judging the clothes on our backs. We freely chose this standard of living.

Brian K. Fortier
San Antonio, Texas
http://www.afge.org/Index.cfm?Page=UnionBlog&FuseAction=View&BlogID=431&Type=U&comments=show

Paul
09-28-2007, 12:14 PM
It's not as bad as you may think. I've been wearing the uniform as a
technician for 8 years now and think nothing of it. I wear civilian clothes
into work, change into uniform and change back at the end of the day, 4
minutes total. When I have to go to town, I'm treated much better than
just being one of the crowd and uniforms/boots are provided free of charge.
I think you should embrace it and be proud instead of fighting it, in the end
you just lose and have a bad attitude.

Tempest
09-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Could be worse -They could enforce a dress code where you wear a suit and tie. (OOOOOHHH the dry cleaning bills.)
What do I know though- a lot of days I wear Aloha shirts to work.

James48843
09-28-2007, 02:00 PM
While personnally I think you are going a bit over the top- you'll find that the case law is pretty well established with regard to negotiable items pertaining to making civilian technicians wear the uniform. As has been pointed out, this has long been established as a MGT right under federal civilian personnel law

http://www.flra.gov/decisions/v32/32-079-4.html

One thing that HAS been found to be negotiable, is bargaining over the value of a uniform allowance. Both for the cost of the uniforms, and the amount of allowance for the care of the uniforms.

If you are serious about what can be done, I would certainly attempt to assert bargaining rights in those two areas.

Fivetears
09-28-2007, 03:02 PM
There are hundreds of issues surrounding this; bearucratic, financial, legal, promotional. In my opinion this issue has profoundly divided the Air Reserve Technician program beyond repair. United we stand; Divided now... we have fallen.

Fivetears
09-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Lets compare apples to apples; ART's didn't enlist in the Air or Army National Guard. ART's are US Government Civilian Employees who agreed (by contract) to maintain a USAF Reserve Status. We participate actively in both programs... and most importantly (IMHO) are PAID DIFFERENTLY while performing duties in each program. I enjoy my civilian status... and the appearance of it.
While personnally I think you are going a bit over the top- you'll find that the case law is pretty well established with regard to negotiable items pertaining to making civilian technicians wear the uniform. As has been pointed out, this has long been established as a MGT right under federal civilian personnel law

http://www.flra.gov/decisions/v32/32-079-4.html

One thing that HAS been found to be negotiable, is bargaining over the value of a uniform allowance. Both for the cost of the uniforms, and the amount of allowance for the care of the uniforms.

If you are serious about what can be done, I would certainly attempt to assert bargaining rights in those two areas.

Tempest
09-28-2007, 03:53 PM
(IMHO) are PAID DIFFERENTLY while performing duties in each program. I enjoy my civilian status... and the appearance of it.

Well that's nice-let me bring down to earth real quick. Some enemies of our country (both foreign [Al-Queda] and domestic [Tim McVeigh wannabes]) would consider you 'political cadre' or support or logistical services for a military branch. I got rid of the illusion a long time ago that working as a civilian -in civilian clothes-in the Federal Government meant I didn't run some risks because of who I worked for. There are built in risks-maybe not like driving a HUMVEE in Ramadi or being some DEA agent in South America but still an additional risk as opposed to being some District Manager for WalMart or some office manager for a FedEX office.

Your not a civilian-civilians don't raise there right hand and take an oath.
Your not a civilian-your a Federal worker and you get ALL the baggage that comes with it.

I know what I am talking about 2 workers from my agency in Hawaii went back to Oklahoma. One had their life snatched away by Tim McVeigh and the other one survived with a screwed up back and nightmares.
This was the biggest terrorist act in the U.S. in terms of casualties before 9/11 and the Department I work for -HUD- suffered the highest casualty rate.
And all we are involved in is housing.
McVeigh considered my former co-workers 'collateral damage'.

You are part of the United States Federal Government.

Your not a civilian.

Fivetears
09-29-2007, 12:01 AM
First, let's not drag the dead and injured innocent of the Oklahoma Bombing, its horrific tragedy, and global terrorism into this issue. Let's compare apples to apples, friend. Yes, we Federal Government Employees are all targets; I agree.

What troubles me Tempest is you appear to have created a misshapen mental mold that produces both a US Federal Government employee... and a member of the US Military. If that’s your perception of all individuals who create, maintain and protect American democracy... might I recommend a college course in American Government such as GOVT2305 (Federal). While you’re at it, Freshman Composition ENGL1301 wouldn't hurt either.

I am an American US Federal Employee.
I am a member of the US Air Force Reserves.
I am not an Active Duty member of the US Air Force.

I prefer to keep my uniforms neatly pressed and in my closet, awaiting my next Reserve drill. If I'm needed in a uniform full time to defend this fine country, no problem; activate me. That's why I'm here.

...You are part of the United States Federal Government. Your not a civilian.

Fivetears
04-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Air Force Times
By Seamus O’Connor - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Apr 28, 2008 6:08:29 EDT

A conglomeration of union chapters representing Air Reserve technicians has filed a civil suit against Air Force Secretary Michael W. Wynne, attempting to overturn the decision requiring ARTs to wear military uniforms while in civilian capacity. Lt. Gen. John Bradley, chief of the Air Force Reserve, implemented the change Aug. 7 to the dismay of many of the service’s roughly 10,000 ARTs. The new policy took effect immediately but was fought by many of the 6,600 unionized ARTs. An online petition collected over 2,700 signatures. At the time, Bradley dismissed objections to the new policy, which he said was an idea of his to improve Total Force interoperability. This is not a negotiation about whether we're going to do it. The decision is made. We're going to do it," he told Air Force Times. The ARTs fighting the policy worried that wearing their uniforms in their civilian capacity would put them under the jurisdiction of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and that it could create chain-of-command issues, as ARTs may hold higher military rank than civilian rank. On an emotional level, many ARTs took umbrage to the tone of an April 18 memo introducing the change. The memo suggested that putting ARTs in uniform full\ time would ensure good order and discipline, especially among the maintenance workers. The lawsuit challenges that the policy change was arbitrary and capricious and opposed by U.S. statute. Neither Wynne, nor officials at Air Force Reserve Command nor counsel for the plaintiffs could be reached immediately for comment.
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2008/04/airforce_airreservetechnicians_lawsuit_042408w/

Fivetears
06-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Arbitrator Rules Against Air Force Uniform Requirements
An arbitrator has ruled in favor of a group of Air Force reservists at Whiteman Air Force Base who complained that a new Air Force regulation unfairly forced them to wear military uniforms while in civilian status performing civilian duties. The complaint was filed by Air Reserve Technician (ART) employees and their union, the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE). They said the new military dress rules—established in 2007—threatened their ART dual status and violated their union contract. The arbitrator ruled that “the record contains no demonstrable evidence about the practical positive effects [of wearing uniforms], if any, on ARTs’ civilian work duties or the Air Force’s mission.” AFGE applauded the ruling. “This costly, ridiculous tactic of the DoD to manipulate and control federal civilian employees has failed,” AFGE President John Gage said in a June 10 statement. “To imply that one needs to wear a uniform in order to be patriotic and ‘fit in’ is absurd.” To see more, go to: www.afge.org/Index.cfm?Page=PressReleases&PressReleaseID=860.