PDA

View Full Version : Background investigation

Callme_CO
08-21-2007, 09:38 AM
I have worked for the Bureau for over a year and today i got an email at work saying their is a couple issues with my background. Now i'm worried. I've invested over a year here and i could lose it if these issues aren't cleared up. I'm just venting my worries.

JTH
08-21-2007, 09:41 AM
I wouldn’t worry about it as long as you were truthful to best of your knowledge. Chances could be that some of your dates just don’t match up correctly.

ChemEng
08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Chances could be that some of your dates just don’t match up correctly.

That would be my bet as well.

Callme_CO
08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
thanks guys i hope it's that simple. It i guess comes at a bad time since two guys where here over two years and got walked out over background. Granted they could have completely lied but they were good officers. I'll let you know what i find out later.

SkiUtah
08-21-2007, 10:01 AM
It could be your by-line...

Callme_CO
08-21-2007, 11:24 AM
what is a by-line?

tsptalk
08-21-2007, 11:37 AM
If you need an alibi, we'll swear you were here the whole time. :D

SkiUtah
08-21-2007, 11:54 AM
You wantthe truth!!! You can't handle the truth..." ....something i'd like to say to the president....

Callme_CO
08-21-2007, 01:20 PM
lol that might be it. If i go in and find the question about tsptalk.com by-line i'll use you guys as character references.

ChemEng
08-21-2007, 02:00 PM
It could be your by-line...

You never know...

I think there was something on the news about attorneys getting let go for political position. :D

Callme_CO
08-21-2007, 02:02 PM
maybe i can get one of the laid off attorny's and fight it.

buda
08-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Ok...let me chime in here

1. Dig into that head of yours and remember all the integrity questions they asked you when you had the initial interview. Could you have been "confused" and answered it incorrectly?

2. Think about your references. Look Jeff....you have a good job and sometimes the people you put as references turn on you or don't realize that what they say can and will affect your future and not to mention they envy you.

3. Can I ask what line of work you did prior to working in the Joint.

4. Always stick by your guns...sometimes discrepancies turn into he said she said. Like they say if it isn't on paper it never happened.

5. Trust your instincts....if this is truely an "inadvertant error" on your part...stick to your guns. Remember, the last question you answered confirmed that to the best of your knowledge you asnswered the questions truthfully. (or something to that affect) Be sure that what ever they throw at you... you never appear to have answered the question with ill-intent.
6. They have invested alot of time and money in a good officer. Remember you already have a good history with JD after the situation you had in your unit. Depending on what they come at you with you need to talk to JD and give your side of the story and your perception to the question that was asked ....as he will have the final decision.

7. Contact your investigator and initiate the dialog about the descrepancies ..... BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.

or

8. You could of put the wrong height and eye color on your application.....:D

Jeff I may have went overkill on this post but remember your institution needs good officers....so the odds are in your favor.

get ahold of me if I can help with anything.

Buda

JTH
08-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Sleep well tonight and try not to stress over it.

Hypothetically speaking if I was your security manager processing your application....

If it was something "Major" then I would have already initiated a SIF

http://afcaf.hq.af.mil/Adjudication/Security_Information_Files.htm

If this was the case, your access to secure facilities would have been immediately revoked until the issue had been resolved. You wouldn't have even been given the opportunity to clean out your desk :toung:

Callme_CO
08-24-2007, 08:24 AM
hey guys thanks for your post. I was off the last couple days. I went and picked up the "questions" they had.

1. Was about money owed to a previous landlord. I did inform them of this but becuase of money shorts from time to time i've not had the chance to pay it off. They i guess are upset but this isn't a big deal i'll write in detail explaining this.

2. Involves a warning from my previous employeer about my absenteeism. Now heres that situations. I worked in a factory making automobiles...good job but it kills the body doing it everyday. Now in my first year i am aloted (3 vacation days, 3 non paid days off) that's it. for sickness, vacataion and whatever. In total i took about 8 days off. All my vacataion days all my non paid and One of the two remainder was a Funeral. (one day for a funeral) The other day that i went over on was traveling back from the funeral. Now i told them i recieved a verbal warning. That's what the company told me it was. Granted i signed a paper saying that i recieved the warning. The investigators issue is now in his mind it isn't verbal but a written warning. Also they told me to be mindful of my days off. He said they told me that would be watching me (i don't remember them saying anything of the sort.) Also they said this write up was in response to being 30 mins late without calling my group leader. ( I was late one day and I did call...and that was months before this warning came out)

3. This is the killer. They are trying to say that becuase it was a written warning and not a verbal ( when it was a verbal or how they explained it to me ) that i purposely lied on my application with the Bop.

I'm not worried about it. Thanks for the Advice Buda i am going to stick to my guns. I only have 3 things in this world that mean anything to me. My wife, kid, and my word. So if that isn't good enough for them then i'm in the wrong profession anyway. I'll keep you all informed. thanks again.

James48843
08-25-2007, 06:04 AM
1. Was about money owed to a previous landlord. I did inform them of this but becuase of money shorts from time to time i've not had the chance to pay it off. They i guess are upset but this isn't a big deal i'll write in detail explaining this.

I saw in a publication a few weeks ago, a guy that was separated on the 364th day of his probationary period over this. (one day short). He had a bill from a credit card company, from six years previous. He blew off the credit card bill (several thousand dollars), and the bank wrote it off. He thought that since the bank wrote it off, he didn't have to pay it anymore. However, it showed up on his credit report, and the agency deemed that he was "not acting responsibly", and canned him as a result. It went to appeal, and the MSPB ruled the agency was correct in canning him. They ruled, by the way, that he had made no effort after taking his new job to try and make amends. He was claiming that he didn't make enough money to pay it back, and the judge ruled that since he was making a deposit in his TSP, he obviously had surplus cash, and should have paid the debt.

Always take money issues seriously.

Callme_CO
08-25-2007, 07:14 AM
I saw in a publication a few weeks ago, a guy that was separated on the 364th day of his probationary period over this. (one day short).....
I owed them about 1300 for an extra months rent, and clean up. (though there wasn't any serious clean up needed) We set it up for 5 payments and we made a couple but then came a few unexpect house repairs that couldn't wait and then getting ready for the baby. I will pay the remainder asap. That's all I can do on that.

Always take money issues seriously.
Like i said before my word is one of the few things in the world that I have in this world that means something. If I don't pay it I'll have one less thing.

Birchtree
08-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Frankly Callme you might have a better retirement plan if you went to work for the West Virginia Department of Corrections. The State of Florida DOC has a defined contribution plan where the employer puts in 20% of salary and the employee manages the funds.

Callme_CO
08-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Frankly Callme you might have a better retirement plan if you went to work for the West Virginia Department of Corrections. The State of Florida DOC has a defined contribution plan where the employer puts in 20% of salary and the employee manages the funds.

Yeah unfortunately WVDOC starts off 16,000 less a year than i'm making now. If i lost this job there is no way i'd stay in this state. No offense for anybody from this state but it's a poor state.

Callme_CO
01-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Just wanted to update i got an email from Employee services today that my background came back cleared. They emailed me the letter from the people stating it. That's a monkey off my back.