PDA

View Full Version : Dazed and confused, but learning :)

Rustynutt
08-21-2007, 03:50 AM
Rustynutt. Probably not what you think. My hobby is playing around with old motorcycles. A long time ago, a particularly stubborn rusted up nut cause all sorts of problems. Being I see myself as old, at least relative to other nuts that race motorcycles off road, thought Rustynutt was a fairly descriptive username :)

I’m DOD with 25 years of service. I’m under FERS, and my MRA is 56 years and 8 months. I don’t plan to stay a day longer, not to say I’m going to retire completely. I’m 51 years now. I’ve been an Engineering Tech my whole career, and before DOD service, a CNC programmer/machinist. Working for the Navy has provided a very broad Engineering background, but I don’t design bridges, or pretend to have any idea how the market works:)

A few years back I use to find myself running home at lunch a to check how the markets were doing (computer access at work was very limited), and got so fustrated when the market dumped while under the old transfer system, I moved back to the G fund where I've lived for most of the duration, until recently splitting my account into two funds.

In the G fund I maintain enough to pay off my current home. It’s just a number, but feel safer playing it that way. I’ve never been to Las Vegas, and the thought of loosing a dollar, much less several thousand drives me nuts:nuts:

The other fund, my play money, the goal is to recoup out of pocket college expenses for my son, who will finally graduate from a Radiology Technologist program after almost 6 years out of high school attending only community colleges, much less perusing a 4 year BA/BS curriculum. He’s my kid, and there isn’t anything I wouldn’t do for him. Not his fault he has the common sense of his dad! His mother split before he was three years old, and aside from a girlfriend here and there, we’ve made it through the last 24 years on our own. If I may, the only sound financial advice I can give is for parents to start a college fund the minute you leave the hospital with your child. That, and never, ever, question their choice of girlfriends:D

The remainder of the play money would be used for moving expenses, a lathe and mill, maybe even a new Hemi Dodge Challenger (I'm a Cummins driver now), or possibly a new pair of shoes.

My interest (personal, not in $$$) in the I fund this year increased quite a bit, not just because of the gains I saw others realize, but this year I made my first trip outside the United States for an internet date with a woman in The Netherlands. They almost had to deport me, I didn’t want to leave. She will be visiting here in September for a month, then I plan to return sometime early next year for another visit. I’m hooked on her, and Holland.

So I felt obligated to spill the beans here on the intro, as I’ve had a lot of fun meeting the folks here by reading between the lines, and learning along the way. If I get out of line, say the wrong thing, just throw a wrench at me, I’ll duck and not take any offense at all.

Regards,
Rustynutt

nnuut
08-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Welcome to the Board Rustynut! There's some rust on this old nnuut, I think, but it's not on my motorcycle. Best of luck with your investments.
Norman

Scout333
08-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Welcome to the Board Rusty, I spent three years in the Netherlands growing up. People are really welcoming and accepting! We were attached to the U.S. Embassy in The Hague. Enjoyed my time there. One of the best places in Europe to visit IMHO. Lots of smart folks here. I've learned a lot in the last year visiting the MB.:)

tsptalk
08-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Welcome Rustynutt! Good luck!

FUTURESTRADER
08-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Great intro, Rustynut..thanks for sharing. Gotta love that internet. The whole world can be your 'dating scene' these days :)

Dodge_Em
08-21-2007, 02:22 PM
The remainder of the play money would be used for moving expenses, a lathe and mill, maybe even a new Hemi Dodge Challenger (I'm a Cummins driver now), or possibly a new pair of shoes.

Great to have another Cummins Driver on the site. It's all about the MOPAR!!! ;)
I'm planning on upgrading to a 3500 Dually next year.

kar_crazy
08-21-2007, 02:36 PM
welcome on board , i am a bow tie fan, love the HEMI just cant afford:Done .good luck someone shot me a picture of a new hemi cuda couldn't be any better

FogSailing
08-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Welcome Rusty...I retired last year so I certainly know where you are right now...and YES IT's GREAAATTTT..You'll be there before you know it. :D

This site is just a great place. Lots of very savvy investors as well as the less savvy (that would be me), plus a lot of good friends, all in all..a nice place to visit.. and we all enjoy playing with the TSP.

Good Luck

FS

Rustynutt
08-24-2007, 02:40 PM
So my "market sentiment" was right, folks here are pretty friendly :)
Thanks for the welcomes!

Not wanting to step on others post, following posting rules, and the need to tally up some post before actually commenting on my account in the "my account" section, here is some of what I've been feeling the last month about my account.

Before leaving on vacation end of May, I went 100% G fund, as I wasn't sure about connectivity at my friend’s home. Upon return, I put the accounts back to their previous funds, about 80% G and 20% I. Forget the exact days, but I got out in May ahead, and bought back into I ahead, so felt pretty good about it.

I think those events is what likely caused me to remain in the I throughout all of this recent downward activity, each day hoping the I would gain back to at least where I entered after vacation. It's been tough to say the least! Wanting to pull the plug on the I fund this last week to protect any recovery gains has had me within a click of the mouse early each morning (after staying up late to watch the Euro openings, and early enough to get in a IFT). Following the EbbChart daily, and watching all the other graphing and analysis going on here didn’t make me feel alone J

All this data has me “dazed and confused” to a point, but have learned a lot about what indicators to watch. In reality, to myself I’m just guessing the markets at this point by “reasoning” how investors “feel”, and knowing that greed is king among the “rich and famous”. I know this is a “life is like a box of chocolates” type reasoning, but the financial ups and downs are really beginning to weigh on my own day-to-day, hour-to-hour moods.

Depending on how the I ends up today, and at close on Monday, my I account would only be down about .87 cents if I were out for Tuesday. Following the EbbChart, and my simple observation that the past several Mondays have been ok in the I fund, is how I’ve determined an exit point. My feelings on this is, “your crazy” stay in.

The vacation in Holland in June was only for 12 days. I’ve been working extra days to get enough time to take the whole month of September off and spend it with my new friend. No big travel plans, going to take the Toy Hauler into the Sierras and spend some time up there, and drive up near Tahoe to a friends for some simple times. I don’t want this weighing on my thoughts while I’m away, but the testicles say now is a good time to keep buying.

On a final note, I haven’t applied for any kind of credit in three or four years. I’ve got a good mortgage 1st, 12 years left at 4.5%, and a small second at 7.5%. I’d been toying with the idea at combining the two and taking them out to 30 since in all likelihood I’ll either sell or cover the mortgage in less than 10 years. This would help out as far as take home pay in the pocket until the kid graduates, and gets on his feet. Anyway, those were just some ideas in the back of my head. It did however give rise to a fun experiment with Country Wide. I went ahead and let them run a credit check, and come back with some figures to refinance my mortgage. I absolutely loathe salespeople, and would imagine that this guy is pretty pressured, considering what is going on. The best deal they could come up with was somewhere over 5 grand closing cost, and over 7% interest. He was going out of his way to tell me what a great deal it was. GMAC, the current mortgage company, beat that number by 1%, and very minimal cost. Indeed, Country Wide is in deep shite.

I gotta run, didn't get to proof this, so if it doesn't make sense reading, your probably right :)

EW_ret
09-06-2007, 03:48 PM
You can join our new Automated Tracker with just ten posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules found in my signature. We lowered the post minimum for this new tracker because there is less administrative overhead, and members enter their own TSP fund allocations and transfers. When you have ten posts send me a Private Message (PM) with your email address. I will then set-up your user profile in the Automated Tracker.