PDA

View Full Version : TSP OFFICE CLOSED- QUESTION

Rod
09-15-2004, 04:28 AM
So, since the office is closed, and not expected to be back online until Sep 20, does that mean that those who are invested can not get out if they wanted to?

That would also go to say that those who aren't, can not jump in... right?

If that's the case, I'm glad I'm still 100% G!

Comments?

09-15-2004, 05:46 AM
Rod,

That is correct. Everyone is frozen. Yesterdaywent 5% C, 5% S, 10% I and 80% G. Triple Witching Friday could be interesting and I want to be out of the way.

MT

Rod
09-15-2004, 06:30 AM
MarketTimer wrote:
Rod,

That is correct. Everyone is frozen. Yesterdaywent 5% C, 5% S, 10% I and 80% G. Triple Witching Friday could be interesting and I want to be out of the way.

MT

Good for you, MT!:^

I don't know why none of us gave any thoughtto the possibility of the office closing down. It sure didn't cross my mind!

09-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Rod wrote:
MarketTimer wrote:
Rod,

MT

I don't know why none of us gave any thoughtto the possibility of the office closing down. It sure didn't cross my mind!

Rod,

They are home based in New Orleans. As soon as I saw Ivan is headed that way I did the switch. I should of mentioned that on this board. I bounce around between boards. I guess in the future you will have to put that in your memory banks.

Hopefully your current allocation works out for you. Oil going up and triple witching is making me nervous. MT

Rod
09-15-2004, 06:50 AM
MarketTimer wrote:
Rod wrote:
MarketTimer wrote:
Rod,

MT

Rod,

They are home based in New Orleans. As soon as I saw Ivan is headed that way I did the switch. I should of mentioned that on this board. I bounce around between boards. I guess in the future you will have to put that in your memory banks.

Hopefully your current allocation works out for you. Oil going up and triple witching is making me nervous. MT

Yeah, I knew they were in NO, but I simply didn't think about it.:D

I should be alright. I'm 100%G.

BUT, I don't know if our mobile home will be (which we are currently in the process of selling)... which is located 40 miles N of Biloxi.:end:

Then again, we could use the insurance $$$!!!:!

09-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Rod,

A lot of folks in FL are taking their insurance check and moving away. I wish you luck. Stuff can be replaced. Take care of yourself first.

I am praying for you and your family.

MT

namor
09-15-2004, 08:13 AM
For those of us gamblers who like to change their investments almost daily, this is like having your hands tied behind your back. This blows. ;)

Luckily, I am 'stuck' in a relatively safe F fund.

It'll be interesting to see how the share prices are updated when the TSP office reopens. Will it be a jump from Sep 13 to Sep 20? Or will they fill in the dates that they were closed? You'd think they would be able to see market returns for this weekand fill in those dates, even though we have to stay put.

At any rate, hope you are 'stuck' in your favorite fund.

-namor

09-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Namor,

If the Ivan is a terrible...it could be weeks. Hopefully everyone is stuck where they want to be. :shock:. I wish I went 100% G. I got greedy and will take a hit on my 20%.

MT

Rod
09-15-2004, 08:35 AM
MarketTimer wrote:
Namor,

If the Ivan is a terrible...it could be weeks. Hopefully everyone is stuck where they want to be. :shock:. I wish I went 100% G. I got greedy and will take a hit on my 20%.

MT

MT is right... If Ivan directly hits New Orleans, it will be under 12 to 18 feet of water.

That would take WEEKS to recover from, and get back to "normalcy".

But, I've been following the storm pretty closely... and it's a pretty safe bet that he will make landfall near Mobile.

Then again, Ivan has been VERY unpredictable thus so far.

We shall see.

Rod
09-15-2004, 08:36 AM
MarketTimer wrote:
Rod,

A lot of folks in FL are taking their insurance check and moving away. I wish you luck. Stuff can be replaced. Take care of yourself first.

I am praying for you and your family.

MT

Thank you very much, MT.:)

Rod
09-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Boy, I can't imagine it if the office would be closed for longer than a week!

I bet you folks who are invested would go CrAzY!!!:end:

09-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Rod wrote:

Trapped likea rat on a sinking ship. We have a very heavy volume day today. Hmm, wonder if the market will be up or down today :P? Let the dominos fall.

MT

09-15-2004, 09:21 AM
MarketTimer wrote:

Rod,

Once again MT is one step ahead of everybody, how do you do it? I actually think you're full of hot air and BS. Just my humble opinion. Never trust anyone who is always right, they are usually only right "after the fact". :t

Pete1
09-15-2004, 09:24 AM
This is avaluable learning opportunity for everyone. I think that this is a good example of why everyone,holders andtimers, should have some money in fixed income at all times.

Rod, god bless, and our thoughts and prayers are with you. May Ivan beshort-lived.

09-15-2004, 09:25 AM
mlk_man wrote:
MarketTimer wrote:

Rod,

Once again MT is one step ahead of everybody, how do you do it? I actually think you're full of hot air and BS. Just my humble opinion. Never trust anyone who is always right, they are usually only right "after the fact". :t
Milk

Whaaaaaaaaaa! I made my changed prior to 11am yesterday and e-mailed Tom I was doing it over the weekend. Because whatever I do on here you chatise me about it.

There is a lot of good short opportunities setting up. I wish one was your time left to be on this board :^.

MT

09-15-2004, 09:26 AM
mlk_man wrote:
MarketTimer wrote:

Rod,

Milk,

I e-mailed Tom over the week what I was doing. Because no matter what I do on this board you chatise me about it.

All lot of good shorts setting up. I wish one was your time left being on this board :^. MT

09-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Pete1 wrote:
This is avaluable learning opportunity for everyone. I think that this is a good example of why everyone,holders andtimers, should have some money in fixed income at all times.

Rod, god bless, and our thoughts and prayers are with you. May Ivan beshort-lived.

Pete,

There are times when 100% stocks is prudent. The market is very choppy right now and I feel is going down much further.

Hopefully your allocation works out for you!

MT

Rod
09-15-2004, 09:32 AM
mlk_man wrote:
MarketTimer wrote:

Rod,

What's wrong MM???:?

Please don't try to takethe IRAconversation too personal. Personally, I like MT and believe that we both can get past our differences.

I guess I just like to keep the peace for the benefit of the entire board.

God Bless :)

09-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Because last year Mr Genius. The TSP office was down for three days due to Nicholas. Unlike you I have a memory :I.

MT

mlk_man wrote:

MarketTimer wrote:

Rod,

09-15-2004, 09:34 AM
MarketTimer wrote:

Milk,

I e-mailed Tom over the week what I was doing. Because no matter what I do on this board you chatise me about it.

All lot of good shorts setting up. I wish one was your time left being on this board :^. MT

Right on brother! Let's take a vote, who would rather I leave or you leave? I'm pretty much tired of your BS "chicken little" and am willing to leave. Are you? If no vote is taken,, I'll just leave and make money for friends and family.

Good luck all,

M_M

Rod
09-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Rod wrote:
What's wrong MM???:?

Please don't try to takethe IRAconversation too personal. Personally, I like MT and believe that we both can get past our differences.

God Bless :)

Oh yeah.. tension will be high, solet's all ride this one out together.:^

azanon
09-15-2004, 09:44 AM

Guess i have a few comments on that Rod:

1. We may all have personal differences, but that you can take out Roth contributions penality free at anytimeultimately isnt subject to debate/differences. It'd be like debating thelaw of gravity. My opinion is MT owes us an acknowledgement that he was wrong in that thread given his yelling and name calling. I even get MT enough analytical credit that by now, he realizes that he was wrong.

2. Although MM might be going a little harsh with that statement, i think even you have to realize its possible he made the trade, but for different reasons than he's stating now; changing the reason on the fly since the hurricane's about to hit. Frankly, my caution flag went up too even prior to MM's post due to both the unknown circumstances of last week, and due to his inability to admit when he was wrong.

Rod
09-15-2004, 09:52 AM
azanon wrote:

Guess i have a few comments on that Rod:

1. We may all have personal differences, but that you can take out Roth contributions penality free at anytimeultimately isnt subject to debate/differences. It'd be like debating thelaw of gravity. My opinion is MT owes us an acknowledgement that he was wrong in that thread given his yelling and name calling. I even get MT enough analytical credit that by now, he realizes that he was wrong.

2. Although MM might be going a little harsh with that statement, i think even you have to realize its possible he made the trade, but for different reasons than he's stating now; changing the reason on the fly since the hurricane's about to hit. Frankly, my caution flag went up too even prior to MM's post due to both the unknown circumstances of last week, and due to his inability to admit when he was wrong.

I respect that.

09-15-2004, 09:52 AM
mlk_man wrote:
MarketTimer wrote:

Milk,

Right on brother! Let's take a vote, who would rather I leave or you leave? I'm pretty much tired of your BS "chicken little" and am willing to leave. Are you? If no vote is taken,, I'll just leave and make money for friends and family.

Good luck all,

M_M

Milk,

Being out of the market last week is still bothering you, huh?:*

Missed opportunites do sting.

Look at is as a learning experience four years from now. There is a bounce after the incumbents convention.

See, I am slowly learning you. Now like I said prior to the end of the FY year there is a purge of dog stocks so they do not reflect on their holdings.

Does anyone remember me saying this stuff. Watch out when the big guys come in and start selling?

I e-mailed Tom over the weekend to get out of the market early this week. He said he was going to stick it out and I said I was bailing. I also said that the Monday prior to triple witching is a up day.

Good luck and have a great day!

MT

azanon
09-15-2004, 10:01 AM
These debates aside, i'd rather not see anyone leave...... /shrug

09-15-2004, 10:05 AM
MarketTimer wrote:

Milk,

Look at is as a learning experience four years from now. There is a bounce after the incumbents convention.

See, I am slowly learning you. Now like I said prior to the end of the FY year there is a purge of dog stocks so they do not reflect on their holdings.

Does anyone remember me saying this stuff. Watch out when the big guys come in and start selling?

I e-mailed Tom over the weekend to get out of the market early this week. He said he was going to stick it out and I said I was bailing. I also said that the Monday prior to triple witching is a up day.

MT

You're not learning anything except what you feel fits your needs. Everyone knows I was out last because of my system. Yes I have a system and I stick to it. It has worked all year and I have come up with an even better one.

I've made a grand total of 5 transactions this year and am up 16.81%. You on the other hand, well who knows? I did not think of the hurricane-TSP issue because I wasn't actively maintaining my account at that time.

This site was a very nice and amicable site before you came along, I really wish you would go back in the hole you came from. I have invited friends to view this site and listen and learn. Your bitching and complaining is not what I wanted them to listen to.

The board is yours, breast wishes...............

09-15-2004, 10:08 AM
A,

I agree.

It is nice to have a nice spicy debate once and awhile thou.

I am bored with the market right now but some great shorts are setting up so I may be leaving this board. I really do not have that much in my TSP to manage.

Milk - I love you man!!!

For those I like on this board I would love to be able to e-mail thoughts back and forth to you.

Tom is a great guy and has a great board. Hopefully the info I sent him over the weekend he can put into his thought process.

This is a great board.

Not to pat myself on the back but I believe what I have been saying has played out? Maybe I do not need meds but for not being able to predict the future I feel that I do fairly well. If you do not want my thoughts on what is upcoming then I will leave this board. Because when I was a rookie investor I liked to hear opinions and see who had a good percentage of being right. I think Milk being out of the market during maybe one of the last good weeks of the year has made him imbalanced, moving forward.

MT

09-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Milk,

Do not leave. I apologize. You are the man. If you are happy with your system then that is all that matters.

I will not dump on you anymore, even if you start it first :P.

MT

mlk_man wrote:

MarketTimer wrote:

Milk,

MT

You're not learning anything except what you feel fits your needs. Everyone knows I was out last because of my system. Yes I have a system and I stick to it. It has worked all year and I have come up with an even better one.

I've made a grand total of 5 transactions this year and am up 16.81%. You on the other hand, well who knows? I did not think of the hurricane-TSP issue because I wasn't actively maintaining my account at that time.

This site was a very nice and amicable site before you came along, I really wish you would go back in the hole you came from. I have invited friends to view this site and listen and learn. Your bitching and complaining is not what I wanted them to listen to.

09-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Milk,

It is good to have a system but you have to think of seasonal/special issues that pop up once in awhile. Like the S&P 500 rebalance that I missed.

One of my first questions were; WHEN DO YOU THINK THE FY SELL OFF WILL START THIS YEAR??? How big will the RNC bounce be???

MT

mlk_man wrote:

MarketTimer wrote:

Milk,

MT

Cinderella
09-15-2004, 12:56 PM
MarketTimer wrote:

Rod wrote:

Trapped like a rat on a sinking ship. We have a very heavy volume day today. Hmm, wonder if the market will be up or down today :P? Let the dominos fall.

MT

This is how I felt before TSP investors were empowered to move from fund-to-fund on a daily basis. Not that I want to be a day trader, but I also don't want to be on a sinking ship.

Rod, I join my thoughts and prayers with the other members of this board for you and your families well-being.

Rod
09-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Cinderella wrote:
Rod, I join my thoughts and prayers with the other members of this board for you and your families well-being.

Thank you. My Wife & I are in the UK, but we do have family in MS.

Rod
09-16-2004, 02:25 AM
I believe the office will open sooner than we think since New Orleans is not bearing the brunt of Ivan.

We will be able to allocate soon enough.:^

Mike
09-16-2004, 03:09 AM
New Orleans will not take a direct hit - but it will be subjected to severe flooding.

There are already warnings that the pump system will be unable to keep all that water out.